Single Reissues Campaign - Causing a Commotion - OUT NOW

New_Boy

Well, Madonna songs have a different meaning to her wether it's whom she wrote it about (Cherish is Sean in the short period of bliss before that night she left him after she called the police on him) so maybe she's not too keen about it because of this. Some songs she wrote as a task and an afterthought like TUTBMP or ITG for Kamins/Cheyne....we love them because they're so good but to her they are throaways. 

• ChrisK changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - Cherish- OUT NOW
2 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

All the singles boosted the bass (and that's why I always say that the Like A Prayer album needs a remaster to boost the bass).

Definitely! That would make Like A Prayer shine!

The first four albums need remastering by an absolute surgeon of an engineer. Someone who can EQ well and use a limiter in a gentle way without killing all sense of dynamic range. Not brick it like the 2001 releases.

Songs like Physical Attraction and Into The Groove almost give me a headache with how they were remastered in the 2000s.

7 minutes ago, BoyToyMark said:

Definitely! That would make Like A Prayer shine!

The first four albums need remastering by an absolute surgeon of an engineer. Someone who can EQ well and use a limiter in a gentle way without killing all sense of dynamic range. Not brick it like the 2001 releases.

You’re absolutely right; that’s really the key. However, Madonna has been killing the dynamic range since the Music album. If she doesn’t care... I dream of hearing Confessions, MDNA, American Life, Music and many more with their original dynamic range, before it was compressed for the CD releases.

16 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

You’re absolutely right; that’s really the key. However, Madonna has been killing the dynamic range since the Music album. If she doesn’t care... I dream of hearing Confessions, MDNA, American Life, Music and many more with their original dynamic range, before it was compressed for the CD releases.

I thought it started during the ROL era.

33 minutes ago, Roy said:

I thought it started during the ROL era.

Dynamic range compression started with Erotica, but it was really light, a minimal compression barely noticeable (I'm not against compressing the dynamic range a bit, but just a bit). It’s from the Music album onward that the increased compression really starts to fatigue my ears, and with FEL, my ears start to bleed.

1 minute ago, Aiwa08 said:

Because we're in the era of listening to music on cell phones and tablets...

Oh so to make the drums louder and stuff instead of the main music louder? I hear my music on a phone mainly yet the 2001 remasters are almost silent but the Music album and American life album is loud yet 

2 minutes ago, Would You Like To Try said:

Oh so to make the drums louder and stuff instead of the main music louder? I hear my music on a phone mainly yet the 2001 remasters are almost silent but the Music album and American life album is loud yet 

Remastered doesn't mean compressed, but in this decade people mean 'louder' when they say they want a remaster. Sad but true.

2 minutes ago, Would You Like To Try said:

Have there been any cases in which a new remaster is quieter than the previous one? In theory a better remaster should be lower in case of excess volume 

From CHATGPT: 

Several albums have been reissued to address the issues caused by the loudness war, aiming to improve dynamic range and overall sound quality. Some notable examples include:

• Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Californication" - The 2012 remaster aimed to reduce the aggressive compression that plagued the original release.
  • Metallica's "Death Magnetic" - A remixed version, known as the "Guitar Hero" mix, was praised for its improved dynamic range compared to the original.
  • The Beatles' remastered catalog - Released in 2009, these remasters were well-received for their careful handling of dynamic range.
  • R.E.M.'s "Monster" - The 25th-anniversary reissue in 2019 provided a new mix that addressed some of the compression issues of the original.

These reissues represent efforts by artists and producers to rectify the sound quality degradation caused by the loudness war, aiming for a more balanced and enjoyable listening experience

1 minute ago, Aiwa08 said:

From CHATGPT: 

Several albums have been reissued to address the issues caused by the loudness war, aiming to improve dynamic range and overall sound quality. Some notable examples include:

• Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Californication" - The 2012 remaster aimed to reduce the aggressive compression that plagued the original release.
  • Metallica's "Death Magnetic" - A remixed version, known as the "Guitar Hero" mix, was praised for its improved dynamic range compared to the original.
  • The Beatles' remastered catalog - Released in 2009, these remasters were well-received for their careful handling of dynamic range.
  • R.E.M.'s "Monster" - The 25th-anniversary reissue in 2019 provided a new mix that addressed some of the compression issues of the original.

These reissues represent efforts by artists and producers to rectify the sound quality degradation caused by the loudness war, aiming for a more balanced and enjoyable listening experience

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

From CHATGPT: 

As for the Beatles 2009 remaster, some fans find the remaster to be too digital sounding... if that makes sense. XD

The Giles Martin remix of the albums are my go-to for listening their songs. :D

2 hours ago, Would You Like To Try said:

Have there been any cases in which a new remaster is quieter than the previous one? In theory a better remaster should be lower in case of excess volume 

This happened with Kate Bush's catalogue, when it was remastered in 2018. 

Her albums already had great sound quality (I think that the fact that she's been the only producer of her recordings for more than 40 years, and how protective she's been about her work have a lot to do with that) on CD, and the remasters ended up having just as good/even better sound than the original releases. In some albums/tracks, they had even lower volume.

The whole project was done by James Guthrie, who amongst many other things, did the mixing of... the Extended Version of Cherish, and Supernatural (which was just released, what a coincidence)