Madonna to 'begin filming biopic starring Julia Garner in the next 12 months' after project was shelved during her Celebration Tour

4 hours ago, Adriabs said:

Ending the biopic at the BAT kind of would make sense if she just wants to depict her rise to legend status, but I think her survival of the Erotica/Sex book hate campaign and coming back stronger than ever would make for an epic storyline.

Indeed for fans it will be ideal until ROL because we had Sex, Evita and Motherhood and we know those were important for her.

But I think people forget this is not a legacy documentary but a biopic made by Madonna herself.

There's little of interest to make a movie about raising Malawi, joining the kabbalah and marrying Guy Richie. That's all tabloid material, there's not substance for a movie.

If these were a series with eras etc, yeah totally. But it's a movie, so it has to be done with a script, a story line and a character arc.

Character-Arc-Sheet.webp

It's rare these days go get a straight biopic which just chronologically goes through someone's life. You tend to get something that focuses on a particular period, often with flashbacks to cover instrumental things like. So the Queen one has Live Aid as the framing and flashes back to their peak decade. The Elton one is him going into rehab and focuses on the 70s. The Judy Garland one focuses on the last few years of her life. Madonna has worked with talented writers on this script, I'm sure it will have a hook.

3 hours ago, EgoRod said:

Indeed for fans it will be ideal until ROL because we had Sex, Evita and Motherhood and we know those were important for her.

But I think people forget this is not a legacy documentary but a biopic made by Madonna herself.

There's little of interest to make a movie about raising Malawi, joining the kabbalah and marrying Guy Richie. That's all tabloid material, there's not substance for a movie.

If these were a series with eras etc, yeah totally. But it's a movie, so it has to be done with a script, a story line and a character arc.

Character-Arc-Sheet.webp

Agreed but I think that makes Blond Ambition even less likely. She was extremely horrific and the most selfish at that time. I could see definitely see the blond ambition being her hubris leading to the character feeling untouchable cut to erotica/sex with everything going wrong, personal relationships going wrong then finding carlos/evita/lola/golden globes leading up to ray of light but really it's gonna be an interesting story being told cuz it can go in so many directions.

I've always thought that the best material for the biopic is M's rise to fame and the very early days of her fame.. That's where the most interesting things happened, she was surrounded by the most interesting artists, and there's most material for a serious movie.

Even when Madonna is retelling the stories of her life, she talks the most about her early days, and her relationships on the art scene of the early 80's. Keith Haring, Basquiat and Martin Burgoyne are more interesting than Guy Ritchie, Gwyneth Paltrow and Mini Coopers :eyesroll:

A huge part of M's life and career is breaking one record after another while the press is mean to her. Sure, it's interesting for a segment in the movie, but you can't make a whole movie about it.

The late 70's and early 80's is where the juice is.

If I produced it...I would make the film about her journey to stardom...BAT is a good  iconic point to finish, as the most successful female artist in the world, the ultimate popstar...Movie ends pointing to wait for the exclusive series....

Then... let's say HBO sieries made arround each album... the scandal of erotica and sex... Tupac storie on Bedtime stories...Evita...etc...lus behind the scenes, love life...Every episode different actress and interesting director...M overseeing...It would do wonders for her music and it could "all" be covered...plus M would get her movie, stuff only she knows...and other directors could portrait what is more public in a different ways....

13 hours ago, Alpha said:

Agreed but I think that makes Blond Ambition even less likely. She was extremely horrific and the most selfish at that time. I could see definitely see the blond ambition being her hubris leading to the character feeling untouchable cut to erotica/sex with everything going wrong, personal relationships going wrong then finding carlos/evita/lola/golden globes leading up to ray of light but really it's gonna be an interesting story being told cuz it can go in so many directions.

We know that but as character development is great. Since Madonna arriving with little to NY. Famous artist friends and boyfriends.

Giving tapes around blah blah.  Bands, danceteria.

Fighting the music industry and the norms,LAV wedding cake. AIDS, losing friends. Sean bloody Penn. LAP drama. Bye Pepsi.Madonna proving everyone that's a strong independent woman: 'C'mon girls  do you believe in love!' C'mon Vogue. The End.

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

OFF TOPIC: And in the meanwhile I can't help but finding extraordinary how her music still achieves records and acknowledgments:

M is among the TOP 10 2023 MOST PLAYED ARTISTS IN UK, the only woman with that Swift thing  :smokey:

https://www.musicweek.com/talent/read/ppl-ed-sheeran-was-the-most-played-artist-of-2023-in-the-uk/089977

1 hour ago, stefo said:

M is among the TOP 10 2023 MOST PLAYED ARTISTS IN UK, the obly woman with that Swift thing 

Amazing!

Dua Lipa is another woman on the list:

Most Played Artists in 2023

1 Ed Sheeran 

2 Taylor Swift 

3 Dua Lipa 

4 Calvin Harris 

5 David Guetta 

6 Elton John 

7 Coldplay 

8 Tom Grennan 

9 Harry Styles 

10 Madonna

On 6/18/2024 at 2:46 AM, EgoRod said:

Character-Arc-Sheet.webp

But that main character arc fits all of that. Her mother dies, her friends die, she becomes famous to try and heal her heartache and discovers it’s not all it’s cracked up to be. Has children and finds happiness as a mother. The end.

To be honest, either could work as a great movie. It just depends what story she wants to tell.

Taking it past late 90’s though would be a mistake as it would just drag on way too long. And I agree, the Guy Ritchie years, whilst interesting wouldn’t work for this project.

22 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

But that main character arc fits all of that. Her mother dies, her friends die, she becomes famous to try and heal her heartache and discovers it’s not all it’s cracked up to be. Has children and finds happiness as a mother. The end.

To be honest, either could work as a great movie. It just depends what story she wants to tell.

Taking it past late 90’s though would be a mistake as it would just drag on way too long. And I agree, the Guy Ritchie years, whilst interesting wouldn’t work for this project.

also, past the late 90's it could wander into the "poor me" territory, with Madonna being enlightened, doing charity, creating music, and the press just being mean. With the entire world in a turmoil now, I don't think people are interested in another celebrity being portrayed as a victim.

21 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

Ehhh time skips solve this plus as long as there is a clear narrative then that's all that matters. Me PERSONALLY would love this to end with Billboards woman of the year speech especially since it really tells her whole timeline from coming to ny to marrying sean to the animosity/misogyny she's faced plus rebel heart tour was a success but that's just my thought on how it should end. Ending it in 1990 cutting 75% of her career out seems so counterintuitive and really gives legitimacy to "sHe wAs OnLy FaMoUs iN tHe 80s" narrative 

14 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Ending it in 1990 cutting 75% of her career out seems so counterintuitive and really gives legitimacy to "sHe wAs OnLy FaMoUs iN tHe 80s" narrative 

Interestingly, The Celebration Tour is also largely based on the 80's and 90's

Maybe the movie would be too long if they include the 00s, 10s and 20s but i feel like it would feel incomplete to end it in the early 90s. The finale of the movie should be her bacterial infection and waking up in the hospital with all if her kids at her bedsite. Then how she gets back on her feet and ultimately the Copacabana Concert

1 minute ago, androiduser said:

Interestingly, The Celebration Tour is also largely based on the 80's and 90's

Because she tends to skip songs shes done from previous tours minus candy shop and to top it off with a consistently growing selection it's only gonna get harder if she keeps touring. Look at how many hits she didnt do for Celebration...no Material Girl, No Lucky Star, no Boderline...i mean the list can go on and on but....we're talking about a biopic so not sure what red herring your pulling out of your robot orifice.

55 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

Oh yeah that's what I'm saying. That she has LOTS of leads and places to take it. But she can't take them ALL. We need an story and something that goes form one point to another.

9 minutes ago, sara94 said:

Maybe the movie would be too long if they include the 00s, 10s and 20s but i feel like it would feel incomplete to end it in the early 90s. The finale of the movie should be her bacterial infection and waking up in the hospital with all if her kids at her bedsite. Then how she gets back on her feet and ultimately the Copacabana Concert

That's 'The Hobbit'.

There's no way they can do her whole life and in fact will be really boring. fans knows it all, no fans don't want to know the whole thing.

They need to find an interesting story to tell and tell it. It's not about listing every single thing she did.

4 minutes ago, EgoRod said:

They need to find an interesting story to tell and tell it. It's not about listing every single thing she did.

You just know fans are going to watch this thing and pick shit through every omission and timeline inaccuracy. They’ve all written their own version of how it should be in their head already :laughing:

3 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

You just know fans are going to watch this thing and pick shit through every omission and timeline inaccuracy. They’ve all written their own version of how it should be in their head already :laughing:

It will be hilarious if the whole thing is just her hanging out in NYC and the movie ends with the first album signing.

What was that alter name for Everybody ? Disco Susan?

15 minutes ago, EgoRod said:

That's 'The Hobbit'.

There's no way they can do her whole life and in fact will be really boring. fans knows it all, no fans don't want to know the whole thing.

I truly think the AIDS crisis will be the center of it. Not sure if it was you or someone else who mentioned the parallel to seeing her mother die then her friends die but its crazy how dark this story could possibly get. For as fun and sexual as Madonna is there has always been a foreboding apocalyptic frenzy to her work and her story.