Did Madonna really want Pure Shores by All Saints?

Apparently she heard the song and then told Orbit that he should have offered the song to her.

Was this just a rumor?

I think it would have been great if it was a Madonna single.

Orbit didn't really shine on Music. Amazing was ROL/BS wannabe, while Runaway Lover definitely was  a good song that fitted the new sound created by Mirwais.

However, Pure Shores was amazing. It evoked ROL album, but felt fresh and different at the same time. It was written by William Orbit and  Shaznay Lewis (All Saints memeber). Produced only by Orbit.

Madonna should have invited Shaznay Lewis to work together with Orbit on Music songs.

6 minutes ago, Justice said:

Apparently she heard the song and then told Orbit that he should have offered the song to her.

Was this just a rumor?

I think it would have been great if it was a Madonna single.

Orbit didn't really shine on Music. Amazing was ROL/BS wannabe, while Runaway Lover definitely was  a good song that fitted the new sound created by Mirwais.

However, Pure Shores was amazing. It evoked ROL album, but felt fresh and different at the same time. It was written by William Orbit and  Shaznay Lewis (All Saints memeber). Produced only by Orbit.

Madonna should have invited Shaznay Lewis to work together with Orbit on Music songs.

Its funny because they werent big in the US but lately i stumbled upon this song and SO curious how M would've been on this song. Obviously they wrote it for the movie so her lyrics would've been different but the music is soooo good

The song was intentionally written for a scene for the 2000 Leonardo DiCaprio movie 'The Beach'.  All Saints' member Shaznay Lewis and producer William Orbit wrote the song.  In fact, Orbit worked on it for two months and hated it.   Maybe Madonna heard it and wished she was given the backing track instead, but no doubt if Madonna and Orbit worked on it, it probably be a totally different song than what it is now. 

41 minutes ago, Brendanlovesu1 said:

Orbit supposedly spent over two months tirelessly producing the song to the extent that he had "totally lost sight of its potential" and thought it was "a turd". 

Oh I see what he means!   I can't imagine Madonna heard this and thought this would be something she would like.  The backing track is too much like the songs she had already collaborated with Orbit on. 

I don't think she's ever said anything about it in public/interviews, etc.?

The "Pure Shores" instrumental track itself is quite good so she probably felt weird about it, it was also Orbit's first big thing with other artists after working with her. Not only that, it was a monster hit in the UK and the biggest single of 2000 there, if I remember well.

So it must have felt a little bit like meh even though she didn't have a reason to feel bad about it: but seeing a sound that she considered "hers" to be now also a hit sound for other artists surely did something for her.

No doubt that "helped" into moving forward to Mirwais for the next album. Plus all the Orbit "Music" outtakes... honestly, while good, they were generally a downgrade from all his "Ray Of Light" material anyway. She was so lucky to find Mirwais, he really pushed her to another whole new level.

3 hours ago, Tudors said:

These ray of light sounds so weird coming from this random group of random generic girls lol wonder if they even still have each other's phone number.

well, that's what happens when a producer has a very specific sound and brings finished instrumentals to both artists

23 hours ago, societysboy said:

Their other Orbit produced single 'Black Coffee' would've really suited Madonna at the time IMO and includes drum production that sounds very Beautiful Stranger/Amazing/I'm A Sinner, especially from 4.24 onwards

This song is pure ART!!! My favorite. 😍 

I read that she got mad at him for not showing the song to her first, and she tried to have it but, obviously it was not happening,  I can believe that, it's like the story I don't know very well about Open Your Heart (In some words I remember she like  stole the song from a studio or something like that, maybe I dreamed that don't trust my memory ....)   Even The Instrumental from the Orbit CD is a is Pure Shores / Swim I (I think) I was making a mash with it, but I'm too lazy these days :bubblebitch:

8 minutes ago, THEWANDERINGSOFTHOMAS said:

Someone needs to do one of those AI thingies of Madonna singing Pure Shores to see what it would have sounded like.  Also Black Coffee.  

Would be quite interesting to hear.

But the instrumentals of "Pure Shores" and "Back Coffee" offered to Madonna would have been completely different songs. Shaznay Lewis from All Saints was the main writing force behind the group and she was heavily involved with Orbit on those two. ("Black Coffee" was actually written by another woman and Shaznay and Orbit re-arranged the whole thing).

Madonna's take on those two instrumentals adding her own melodies and lyrics would have given completely different songs and honestly, probably worse, cause those two songs are pop classics they way they are.

Things happen for a reason!

On 7/7/2024 at 5:39 PM, societysboy said:

Their other Orbit produced single 'Black Coffee' would've really suited Madonna at the time IMO and includes drum production that sounds very Beautiful Stranger/Amazing/I'm A Sinner, especially from 4.24 onwards

I've always wondered - did Orbit do the production on Black Coffee Version 2 as well? 

Confirmed Orbit production on Discogs, sorry I don't have any All Saints CDs to reference but this version is lovely..