Ryan Reynolds had to meet Madonna in person to get permission to use 'Like a Prayer' in Deadpool & Wolverine

proxy

19 minutes ago, Andreo said:

The idea of M seating through a Marvel movie to lowkey direct it would have never passed through my mind but here we are, omg

"Levy said they quickly sprung into action to make her vision a reality. "We literally went into a new recording session within 48 hours to do this one note," he said. "She had only one note, and it was a great note, and it made the sequence better."

And people dare to say she's bad director & worry about her directing the biopic :Madonna003:

36 minutes ago, proxy said:

"The actor explained at a recent SiriusXM Town Hall that he and the movie's director, Shawn Levy, had a “personal meeting with Madonna” to show the pop icon the sequence in which the song would be used in the film."

“Also, let's preface it with the fact that they don't license — Madonna doesn't just license the song, and particularly that song has not been licensed,” Reynolds pointed out. “So it was a big deal to ask for it and certainly a bigger deal to use it... We went over and met with her and showed her how it was being used and where and why.” 

Reynolds also revealed that, in addition to letting them use the track in the movie, Madonna — who has directed films like 2011's W.E. — gave them some feedback on how to make the scene better. "And she gave a great note," he recalled. "My God, she watched it and, I'm not kidding, just was like, ‘You need to do this, this, and this in this moment.' And damn it, if she wasn't like spot-on and right."

https://ew.com/ryan-reynolds-met-madonna-for-permission-to-use-music-in-deadpool-and-wolverine-8681146?taid=669c276ff2c910000169bc35&utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly_entertainmentweekly&utm_content=new&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com

It's looks like Ryan Reynolds confirmed that Like A Prayer is featured in movie :Madonna001:

Thank you for this.  How cool to finally learn it's actually in the film.  It's too bad they didn't push to license it for the soundtrack.  But I'd think there still would be some legalities to using it in the film??  Warner, at the least will want to get paid.  And I'd think the artists Madonna and Pat Leonard would enjoy a little cash this could generate them from such a huge film franchise.

And yes, I think she has a great knack for good visuals and just another reason why I think she could be a great director, even for her own biopic. :)

I guess this answers the question if the song was only in the trailer, which I thought LAP worked well, since it’s not on the official soundtrack. They probably couldn’t come to an agreement on royalties. I can also see Madonna wanting people to stream Like A Prayer directly from her own albums or connected playlists so they are more likely to stream more of her.

31 minutes ago, Magic Pussy said:

I guess this answers the question if the song was only in the trailer, which I thought LAP worked well, since it’s not on the official soundtrack. They probably couldn’t come to an agreement on royalties. I can also see Madonna wanting people to stream Like A Prayer directly from her own albums or connected playlists so they are more likely to stream more of her.

That makes sense.  She doesn't really ever license her songs on those (80's or NOW) compilation albums either.  It only forces the consumer to buy her work specifically if they want to own the song.  Good on her. :thumbsup:

Okay, now watching this clip back, I wonder if they're just referring to the usage in the trailer?? Hmmm?  None of them in this clip specified whether they mean a sequence in the film or in the trailer, so now I'm curious if the song will be in the actual film?  Also, by listening to what they say about licensing it, it sounds like they had to, but Ryan was just pointing out, it's just not a song Madonna is known for licensing to use to anyone or anything. 

8 minutes ago, Adonna said:

Okay, now watching this clip back, I wonder if their just referring to the usage in the trailer?? Hmmm?  None of them in this clip specified whether they mean a sequence in the film or in the trailer, so now I'm curious if the song will be in the actual film?  Also, by listening to what they say about licensing it, it sounds like they had to, but Ryan was just pointing out, it's just not a song Madonna is known for licensing to use to anyone or anything. 

Yes, it’s a bit vague, he used “sequence” vs scene or trailer . When the director mentioned “re-recording” my guess is he had one or both actors do ADR , dialogue rerecording, which is a bit odd if it’s for just a trailer but I we’ll see soon enough.

11 minutes ago, Magic Pussy said:

Yes, it’s a bit vague, he used “sequence” vs scene or trailer . When the director mentioned “re-recording” my guess is he had one or both actors do ADR , dialogue rerecording, which is a bit odd if it’s for just a trailer but I we’ll see soon enough.

Yeah, through their excitement and giddiness of meeting her, their explanation gets a little jumbled and it's not clear if they are talking about a sequence in the film or in the trailer.  By the way, there could be new dialogue recording for a trailer too.  I would think it would be more expensive and take more time if it was to re-organize a sequence in the actual film. I'm beginning to lean towards they were just talking about the trailer.

Oh the magic of films. :luv:

17 minutes ago, Adonna said:

Okay, now watching this clip back, I wonder if they're just referring to the usage in the trailer?? Hmmm?  None of them in this clip specified whether they mean a sequence in the film or in the trailer, so now I'm curious if the song will be in the actual film?  Also, by listening to what they say about licensing it, it sounds like they had to, but Ryan was just pointing out, it's just not a song Madonna is known for licensing to use to anyone or anything. 

It would be odd to do all this to just get this song in trailer, I really hope is in the movie, but I guess we will see.

5 minutes ago, proxy said:

It would be odd to do all this to just get this song in trailer, I really hope is in the movie, but I guess we will see.

Not necessarily, there are plenty of trailers that use songs that don't end up in films.   A trailer is a pretty big deal, especially for a film like this.  The music/soundtrack has to be just right being what we see in a trailer is just a glimpse of what's happening in the film and in a lot of cases, purposely sequenced to leave people excited as well as left hanging.  It's just like the new trailer where we see the girl deadpool.  One could think she plays an intrical part in the film, when it could be something that comes at the end of the film.

1 hour ago, Adonna said:

I took this as they showed her the sequence in the film they wanted the song for. I feel like it’d be weird to describe a trailer as a sequence. But I guess we’ll find out this Thursday! 

I’m a big Marvel fan and have tickets opening night. I can’t wait! Will definitely be bummed if the songs not in there, this new story gives me hope though.

Either way this is a great interview. They talk so highly of her, and really make it seem like she knows her shit, and all for the love of her song. I dig it!