What's up with her breathing?

This may be extra random and I don't remember reading discussions about it, but have you guys noticed how she sometimes sounds like she has problems breathing through her mouth?

:Madonna056:

From the top of my head I can think of these examples:

Deeper And Deeper, before "but my love is alive"

Forbidden Love, after "this would be more than it seems"

Mer Girl (DWT at Inglewood), before "from my mother who haunts me"

Do you hear it too? Do you remember other songs where it shows? Why does she do it and why do they keep it in the recording?

I'm going to bed now :lord:

To be technical, and as a trained singer myself, it's phlegm-ish. She's actually blessed with that as a lot of singers get dry throat. She's just extra moist LOL. No but also it's the placement of her tongue when she inhales, the throat is a bit tight, with the back of the tongue nearing the hangy ball thing. It's normal, but also audible. Just the way she's trained herself to sing since the beginning of her singing career. It's not as present since her formal training during Evita, more-so during live performance. I don't know if then she was ever trained to protect her voice properly. Maybe she was but with so much going on as a pop star - the ear monitors, vocal cues... it seems that it would be easy to forget your training a bit. It happens.  

I used to be singer too and it seems perfectly normal to me. Although usually louder breath indicates bad technique I think. Because a good singer has better breath control and so you will hear less of it. Good singing is generally as natural as speaking and we don't usually gasp for air in between sentences. I believe though the producers often keep it in the songs because it adds a certain authenticity. Not everything is about technique but human emotion and that's where Madonna shines. The "flaws" are part of the character of her voice.

On 9/3/2024 at 9:32 AM, A. A. Aardvark said:

nothing
yet
can you show me any non breathing singers ?

Even Kylie Minogue gasps for air after a whole dancing performance:

The whole dancing performance in question:

Although most times she performed I Believe in You live at the Aphrodite Tour she didn't sound like she was being asphyxiated... Maybe the vocal used to live DVD and CD wanted to emphasize she's human at all...