10 artists who have helped the LGBT movement

Osh Åžarif

1. Madonna

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrNmfH3T7cg

In the 1980s, many people were using the AIDS epidemic as an excuse to perpetuate homophobia. Madonna was one of the first mainstream figures who spoke out in defense of the gay community at this time. She got involved in the fight against AIDS, encouraging research and the practice of safe sex. She brought vogueing—a style of dance started in New York’s gay club scene—to the mainstream and featured footage from a gay pride parade in her tour documentary, “Truth or Dare.†She also featured gay, lesbian, and bisexual affection in “Truth or Dare,†the “Justify My Love†video and her “Sex†book. This was still in the early 1990s, before it was a trendy thing for female pop stars to do. More recently, Madonna has spoken out against bullying, anti-gay laws in Malawi and Russia, and the Boy Scouts’ anti-gay policy. Madonna’s advocacy for the LGBT community was acknowledged when gay news magazine, “The Advocate,†named Madonna “the greatest gay icon†in 2012.There you have it. From the eighties to nineties to now, LGBT representation in music has a long history. Whether they’re a pop icon or an unknown independent artist, these artists have used their position to help make progress for LGBT people. They have risked their own popularity to stand by what they believe in. And that is what makes these artists so admirable.

http://lgbteen.org/2014/07/10-artists-who-have-helped-the-lgbt-movement/

The article is not about gay icons per se, it's more about famous people who showed support and have spoken out about homophobia and such issues. 

Of course, Lady Gaga spoke out too - I guess they just wanted to publish some sort of timeline, and let's face it, Madonna has done far more for the LGBT movement than Gaga or Cher.

http://news.advocate.com/post/16914705360/madonna-the-truth-is-she-never-left-you

In the midst of the AIDS crisis, when fear was rampant and gay men were dying at a horrifying rate, Madonna was among the first to take a stand, to say, as she did in the tour documentary Truth or Dare, that it’s OK to be a gay man who is openly sexual."That it’s OK to be gay, period,†Madonna says emphatically before launching into an impassioned recounting of her experience of the AIDS onslaught. “I was extremely affected by it. I remember lying on a bed with a friend of mine who was a musician, and he had been diagnosed with this kind of cancer, but nobody knew what it was. He was this beautiful man, and I watched him kind of waste away, and then another gay friend, and then another gay friend, and then another gay friend. They were all artists and all truly special and dear to me.â€

In retrospect, Madonna sees that as the moment when her sense of self became entangled with that of gay men. “I saw how people treated them differently,†she says. “I saw the prejudices, and I think probably I got that confused with, intertwined with, you know, maybe things that…ways that people treated me differently.â€

At a time when it was risky to her career, Madonna supported gay rights because she cared. It was personal to her after the tragic death of two of Madonna's friends, Martin Burgoyne, her best friend, and Christopher Flynn, her dance teacher and mentor, to aids. For me, one of the highlights of the Girlie Show was her performance of In This Life. It was so touching when she took a moment of reflection and gave a short speech about the tragedy of aids, giving those who suffer from it her support. As she raised her hand to the sky, she finished with "Don't give up!".  It was such a beautiful moment seeing her  emotional as she sat down on the stairs, all alone, singing the song that she wrote and dedicated to the memory of her two friends.

Yeah, the "In This Life" song is so beautiful.

I'm happy Madonna supports the Gay community. My issue is the negative stigma behind that when it comes to being a fan of her music. Anymore, most people simply think of Madonna's music is for "gay people".  And while it's great "gay people" have an aritst to look up to and all, but it seems a lot of people turn that idea of her music being just for "gay" as a bad thing. Many use it against her when comparing her to other musicians and artists.

I know a lot of straight people who love Madonna. The sad thing, especially straight males are less likely to admit it then females.