POPULAR

4 minutes ago, Prayer said:

What tf they mean she's not well versed in r&b 😮 they even know her album discography and her close ties with the genre? FFS, her longest #1 was Take A Bow, off an album that was r&b focused. 

1 minute ago, LoveSong said:

What tf they mean she's not well versed in r&b 😮 they even know her album discography and her close ties with the genre? FFS, her longest #1 was Take A Bow, off an album that was r&b focused. 

I suspect this is a... PR payed/agreed article. From her new press team.

They're doing everything they can to make it look like a comeback and it's... working.

10 minutes ago, LoveSong said:

Reggie Lucas was an R&B producer. It all started with RnB. My biggest pet peeve today is how younger journalists don't do the work and are so effing lame. 

29 minutes ago, Prayer said:

I suspect this is a... PR payed/agreed article. From her new press team.

They're doing everything they can to make it look like a comeback and it's... working.

My thoughts exactly.  But it's interesting how they are playing this up as some HUGE hit, when it's not... at least yet.  But yes, it's simply good PR and seems to be working.

The Idol's third episode is suffering some backlash at the moment due to some of the content and a bad Epstien joke. No word on the actual ratings/viewership, but some are predicting the fall of the show already.  We'll have to see if it can rebound and if Popular suffers from any of this. 

6 minutes ago, tscott said:

The Idol's third episode is suffering some backlash at the moment due to some of the content and a bad Epstien joke. No word on the actual ratings/viewership, but some are predicting the fall of the show already.  We'll have to see if it can rebound and if Popular suffers from any of this. 

I hated the two episodes i watched, i feel sorry for Lily Rose Depp, i hope it won't kill her career.

Just now, Roland Barthes said:

I hated the two episodes i watched, i feel sorry for Lily Rose Depp, i hope it won't kill her career.

I don't believe it will.  I don't hate what I've seen so far, but I think it drags from time to time.  Though, it's one of those things, where you want to just look away, but you can't.

1 hour ago, Roland Barthes said:

She's the best thing about the show so I don't think it will kill her career. Luckily, things have changed and a woman won't take the blame for a trainwreck show/movie as she would have in the 90's (for example Elizabeth Berkley who didn't recover from Showgirls)

Watching episode 3 and I can't stop laughing about how every fanbase was proud that the show was supposedly inspired by their fave :laughing: ...nobody wants to claim that honor now :laughing:

"it's so META... the show is literally about Madonna!! It makes PERFECT sense for her to be featured in the song" :laughing: oh jeeez..... It's Vox Lux all over again :eyes:

16 minutes ago, androiduser said:

Watching episode 3 and I can't stop laughing about how every fanbase was proud that the show was supposedly inspired by their fave :laughing: ...nobody wants to claim that honor now :laughing:

"it's so META... the show is literally about Madonna!! It makes PERFECT sense for her to be featured in the song" :laughing: oh jeeez..... It's Vox Lux all over again :eyes:

Not true. I'm not going to deny some made comparisons, but let's be frank... people such as yourself seem to speak the loudest.  Assumed as those who speak for the majority, when what you say isn't necessarily how most fans feel.

I see the comparisons to some degree, but at the same time, Jocelyne comes off as a victim.  Madonna never does. She may speak up against the societal norms, but she doesn't apologize for the things she does that offend others.

The end game here is that the show is about a Pop Star who has been sexually provocative (like Madonna) who isn't afraid to take chances (like Madonna) yet others intervene to only make the situation more controversial.

23 minutes ago, tscott said:

The end game here is that the show is about a Pop Star who has been sexually provocative (like Madonna) who isn't afraid to take chances (like Madonna) yet others intervene to only make the situation more controversial.

The end game is that it's about a teen pop star who breaks from the mold by getting abused by a manipulative Manson-type lunatic.

On 6/2/2023 at 10:12 AM, Mden said:

I love the song but those lyrics. How did she agree to do this? Perhaps she’s portraying the female character in his movie/ show ‘Idol’. If not it’s a misogynistic/tired view of her. She claps back with her verse, but still the theme lyrically is annoying . The song does sound good. But I don’t agree it’s her best collaboration. The MX collaborations are far superior. Anyways, maybe I’m reading too much into it. 

That was my initial reaction. Now I think it makes perfect sense for her to be featured on the song. People always think she’s desperate and always seeking attention. And if some made comparisons, it’s only natural. And no, not every fan base thought it an honor or felt it was about her. A lot of fans loved her verse, the way she sounds, the vibe of the song.... and made no connection of the lyrics to her. 
But I do. To me her verse is a clap back. 

3 hours ago, androiduser said:

8 hours ago, androiduser said:

"Popular" is meta. The Weeknd trying to make a bitch look bad when the only bitch is really him. And like @Mdensaid, Madonna's verse is a clap back inside the song (she didn't even write it but it is). The typical him vs her song.

"The Idol" is not meta and literally no one here or outside this forum said it was about Madonna. The main female character couldn't be more different. Neither other fan bases are claiming is about their faves or proud or anything.

It's not so difficult to understand but you're trying to make a point again by making up your own facts along the way, only for attention and to try to piss people off here. Maybe that's meta, too.