Madonna at the Roxy Cinema NYC July 27th

PlasticLimbo

https://www.roxycinemanewyork.com/stories/madonna-a-league-of-her-own/

Screenshot_20230715_154713_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1d1152c074bf983c528d01e6dc624b7d.jpg

Celebrating four decades of The Queen of Pop, Roxy Cinema is proud to present a selection of her most vital films and videos from her exuberant 1980s and 90s oeuvre… affirming that Madonna is truly in a league of her own.

35 minutes ago, PlasticLimbo said:

https://www.roxycinemanewyork.com/stories/madonna-a-league-of-her-own/

Screenshot_20230715_154713_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1d1152c074bf983c528d01e6dc624b7d.jpg

Celebrating four decades of The Queen of Pop, Roxy Cinema is proud to present a selection of her most vital films and videos from her exuberant 1980s and 90s oeuvre… affirming that Madonna is truly in a league of her own.

I wish they were doing something similar in LA!

It makes me think that this might be the beginning of the campaign celebrating her 40 year history and her debut album.  Here's the full article that haven't visited the original link provided:

Madonna: A League Of Her Own

July 27 marks forty years since the release of Madonna‘s eponymous debut, an undeniable dance-pop classic. The only record of hers included in its “100 Greatest Albums Ever,” Entertainment Weekly proclaimed that it “heralded something much bigger: the arrival of the pop diva as a singular force who put personality above all else.”

Madonna‘s instant eruption crystallized MTV’s explosive success; she became the great innovator of global media’s most potent and pervasive new format. Her music videos are silent masterworks set to song, starring 1980s incarnations of Cyd Charisse, Marlene Dietrich, and Marilyn Monroe.

In the most fertile era of her cinematic output, Madonna materialized the varied personae of her calculated public image: East Village disco princess, platinum’d comic book mistress, two-faced femme fatale, revered/vilified political idol. She tight-roped the Warholian line between fact and fantasy, celebrity and privacy, chastity and vulgarity – blurring her art and life as the “woman about whom we know everything and nothing at all.” (Norman Mailer, Esquire 1994)

Celebrating four decades of The Queen of Pop, Roxy Cinema is proud to present a selection of her most vital films and videos from her exuberant 1980s and 90s oeuvre… affirming that Madonna is truly in a league of her own.

Desperately Seeking Susan – July 27th screening and Q&A with director, Susan Seidelman. A bored New Jersey suburban housewife’s fascination with a free-spirited woman she has read about in the personal columns leads to her being mistaken for the woman herself.

Shadows And Fog – This Woody Allen classic will be shown in 35MM. With a serial strangler on the loose, a bookkeeper wanders around town searching for the vigilante group intent on catching the killer.

Girl 6 – Spike Lee brings together an all-star cast to tell the story of a young black woman trying to make it in the acting world that resorts to working as a phone sex operator to pay the bills. Shown in 35MM.

Dick Tracy – Madonna breathes life into the comics as a detective finds his life vastly complicated when Breathless Mahoney makes advances towards him while he is trying to battle Big Boy Caprice’s united mob.

Bloodhounds Of Broadway – Broadway was never brighter and never roared louder than New Year’s Eve, 1928, when anything could happen-and did. A four part short story musical co-starring Madonna, Jennifer Grey, and Matt Dillon.

Dangerous Game – A New York City film director working on his latest movie in Los Angeles begins to reflect the actions in his movie and real life, especially when he begins an affair with the lead actress. This Abel Ferrara favorite will be shown in 35MM.

Body Of Evidence – A lawyer defends a woman accused of killing her older lover by having sex with him. This sexual thriller was released in conjunction with Madonna’s SEX book and the Erotica music video, which was only played after 10PM on MTV.

Evita – This Andrew Lloyd Webber project was years in the making and led to Madonna winning her first Golden Globe. Watch her sing the iconic Don’t Cry For Me Argentina as she lights up the screen.

Truth Or Dare – The documentary that some say led to the birth of reality tv. Cameras followed Madonna and her troupe of dancers and artists across the world as they performed the Blond Ambition Tour, a show that was both criticized by The Vatican and inspired a generation of queer youth.

Special Thanks to Joeseph Berger for helping to coordinate and inspire this special program.

3 minutes ago, DickTracy said:

I was hoping A League Of Their Own would be in the program but you know which one I got a ticket for 😎

Odd that this film is omitted being it's a pretty respected film she was part of.  Probably the most respected Hollywood film she's part of apart from Evita!

27 minutes ago, Robertthenurse said:

What movie is that? 🤣🤣🤣

Louuuuuuuuuve Dick T. 

A League Of Their Own is really a great film.  I'm glad Madonna was part of it, even though I don't think it helped prove she was a great actress.  So much more to this film than Madonna which for a Madonna fan may not matter, but if one was truly objective that Madonna was hardly the stand out in this film.  What she contributed was mediocre, but fit the image she was portraying at the time. Madonna is excepted among the general public with this film because she fit how many perceived her at the time and wasn't really offended by it.  I think with her relationship with Rosie helped. At the time, Rosie was a fun sidekick at the time before people realizes she was gay.  The 90's was kind to Rosie, even though people questioned her sexuality.

3 hours ago, WokeUpInMedellin said:

Oh, I just realized that some of the films are being shown on later dates, once I'm back in NY. 

I can't afford to go to all of them. Could you all help me out by indicating which of these films feature Madonna the most prominently? Those are the films I'd have to choose over others.

Unfortunately, they don't feature all her films which she is the main star, but among what is listed:

Truth Or Dare, Body of Evidence and Evita are definitely the three films that most feature her as the main star.

Dick Tracy, Dangerous Game and  Desperately Seeking Susan, she's featureed among an ensemble cast.  DSS ends up being her break out role, but she isn't really the main character in that film even though, it does center around her character.

All the other film roles listed, she's a minor character if not cameos.

Oddly, A League of Their Own is missing from the list where she's among an ensemble cast.

1 hour ago, WokeUpInMedellin said:

Thank you @tscott! My #1 goal will be to see Truth or Dare and I may try to see Body of Evidence, Dick Tracy, or Dangerous Game.

Be. prepared to go "WTF" when watching Dangerous Game. I never watched it completely through all at once.  Shut it off because it was so awful.  Came back to it a few days later and finished it.  I don't recall ever watching it again.  With that said; there are some scenes in that movie where Madonna does some of her best acting ever.

47 minutes ago, tscott said:

Be. prepared to go "WTF" when watching Dangerous Game. I never watched it completely through all at once.  Shut it off because it was so awful.  Came back to it a few days later and finished it.  I don't recall ever watching it again.  With that said; there are some scenes in that movie where Madonna does some of her best acting ever.

Oh congratulations. I’ve had several attempts on all the formats (except in theater) since it came out and never managed to watch it all the way through. 
It’s too bad cause Madonna is great in it. But the movie as a whole is just a hot mess

6 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

Oh congratulations. I’ve had several attempts on all the formats (except in theater) since it came out and never managed to watch it all the way through. 
It’s too bad cause Madonna is great in it. But the movie as a whole is just a hot mess

I remember turning that crap off half way through, if even I got that far through it?  It bothered me too much, not to finish it, so I did.  I just remember watching and saying "WTF?".  Like you said, the movie is a "hot mess".  I remember thinking, I wanted to see the movie they were actually making in the film. That was the best parts. And that's when you saw Madonna do her best acting.

1 hour ago, DickTracy said:

I’m having such a hard time deciding between Body of Evidence and Dangerous Game, someone pick for me. I don’t think I can handle both but I haven’t seen either in decades.

Body of Evidence is the more enjoyable film, but Dangerous Game features Madonna’s best acting performance.

I’d say Body of Evidence.

1 hour ago, DickTracy said:

I’m having such a hard time deciding between Body of Evidence and Dangerous Game, someone pick for me. I don’t think I can handle both but I haven’t seen either in decades.

Dangerous Game if you want to see some actual great acting, but good luck getting through it.  Body of Evidence is far more interesting to watch despite her mediocre acting. If it was me, I'd watch BOE! :)

My apologies. All of the films I listed above DO indeed have dates scheduled and tickets available. You have to navigate to the "Now Showing" page on their website and scroll through the theater's showings to look for them. For some reason, they just didn't include hyperlinks for those titles on the main webpage posted above.

Additionally, I noticed while doing so that Shanghai Surprise is being shown as well, despite not being included in the list of titles on the above webpage.

On 7/18/2023 at 11:00 AM, DickTracy said:

Dangerous Game is boring.

Body of Evidence may be a terrible movie but it’s utterly enjoyable. So many great lines and hot af sex scenes.

On 7/15/2023 at 9:14 PM, WokeUpInMedellin said:

DAMN. I'm literally leaving for vacation on the 27th! So I can't go. I would've loved to participate in this, as I've only ever seen 'Evita' out of these selections.

Dang I just left vacation on another place 3 days ago,homever it still continues but in my normal house