Mid-90s Ballad era/Something To Remember appreciation

Kae-Leah Williamson

Most fans will disagree, but the simplicity of this compilation is what makes me put it as number one amongst her compilations (yes, I prefer it over The Immaculate Collection - I've never been a fan of remixes and, for me, there is no better version of "Like A Prayer" than the album version). Anyways, "Something to Remember" has a special place in my heart because it shows the other side of Madonna. Although I miss "The Look of Love" and "Bad Girl" and I would definitely include "Love Tried to Welcome Me", the tracks she put in it were pretty well chosen. I also love the simplicity of the cover, the flowers in the back cover and I wish they had included a booklet with pictures and a few lines from the lady herself talking a little bit about each song. But I know that is too much to ask for.

I adore Something to Remember.

i loathe One More Chance as it doesn’t have a Madonna sound to it and those nasally vocals during the chorus cringe me to the bone.

Id swap out One More Chance for The Look of Love and I’d put the Orchestral Version of I Want You on the You’ll See, One More Chance or LDLHA singles to make room for another track. Probably La Isla Bonita like the Japanese edition has.

6 hours ago, Anapausis said:

But OMC was released as a single with a MV to support it. Of course it was a very limited release, and the MV needed to be a compilation of past works. I guess both composers to it found it not very worthy of being wirked as a single at all, with that basic instrumentation and childish lyrics. I love the song, ofc, but I won't deny the obvious.

To the part I put in bold: amiguinho, we as from Latin America have Verás on our STR CD's. But the rest of the world not.

Yeah, I love One More Chance.  Certainly, it's not your typical Madonna ballad, but that's why I love it.  She was pretty raw on that track.  Never understood those who claim to loath the song when it's just a sweet low key acoustic type song which wasn't typical of Madonna at the time. I'm sure that is why she included it. It was very different to the other hugely produced ballads on the album.

Honestly, I would take an album of Madonna singing to an acoustic guitar group of songs any day over her doing trendy sort of songs.