Promise To Try - A Short Essay on Grief

TheGoth

reading your post was not easy. I also lost my mother 5 years ago and, of course, Promise To Try talks to me so much more after this... Thank you for your text and sharing with us. you are not alone... and we know that it's hard when our mother is not here anymore to help us when we stumble and fall... :Madonna041:

Beautiful beautiful post!! Thank you for it. Like you, "Promise To Try" has been a huge staple emotionally in my Madonna list of faves too. It's one song I've played over and over through out my life after losing someone close. It's started in 1990 when I lost my brother way too young at 26 who use to tease me (in a fun and good way) on Madonna and being a fan. After that...I lost my grandmother (we were so close. She had mad respect for Madonna after taking her to see Evita) and then both parents in the last 8 years. With that said, I'm so very sorry for your loss and all the losses suffered and expressed in this thread so far. I'm so thankful Madonna made "Promise To Try" and the video for it. :pray:

Very true. I feel you. I too lost my mother to cancer in 2007. I totally related to M and her mother’s death. And of course her music. In fact it was her and others catalogs that help me pull through the tough moments. Another one of M’s I would play often was Inside Of Me. And I can say she truly is, I feel her often. 🌹

There is something about losing a mom that just aches non stop. It gets easier as time goes as you learn to accept that ache, but, sometimes I wake up in the night and the ache is there again full on and the first thing I'll naturally mouth is "Mommmm"!! But, I always take comfort that our journeys are not over and it's "love" we feel. WE WILL SEE OUR LOVED ONES AGAIN ONE DAY!! And it's going to be one hell of a reunion (and an ass chewing too that they left too soon).  

36 minutes ago, NRMX said:

I’m so sorry for everyone’s loss, my mother died of lung cancer, and it’s the most devastating terrible saddest thing any son or daughter has to go through

I felt that my connection with the world was severed and the moment my mother died I only thought now I could die too

My mom passed away at 52 from lung cancer as well.

It’s tough losing mom.

6 minutes ago, Boombox90 said:

My mom passed away at 52 from lung cancer as well.

It’s tough losing mom.

43 minutes ago, NRMX said:

I’m so sorry for everyone’s loss, my mother died of lung cancer, and it’s the most devastating terrible saddest thing any son or daughter has to go through

I felt that my connection with the world was severed and the moment my mother died I only thought now I could die too

14 hours ago, xavier said:

Very true. I feel you. I too lost my mother to cancer in 2007. I totally related to M and her mother’s death. And of course her music. In fact it was her and others catalogs that help me pull through the tough moments. Another one of M’s I would play often was Inside Of Me. And I can say she truly is, I feel her often. 🌹

On 9/9/2024 at 5:38 PM, Voguerista said:

Beautiful beautiful post!! Thank you for it. Like you, "Promise To Try" has been a huge staple emotionally in my Madonna list of faves too. It's one song I've played over and over through out my life after losing someone close. It's started in 1990 when I lost my brother way too young at 26 who use to tease me (in a fun and good way) on Madonna and being a fan. After that...I lost my grandmother (we were so close. She had mad respect for Madonna after taking her to see Evita) and then both parents in the last 8 years. With that said, I'm so very sorry for your loss and all the losses suffered and expressed in this thread so far. I'm so thankful Madonna made "Promise To Try" and the video for it. :pray:

On 9/9/2024 at 3:49 PM, RUADJAI said:

It's not easy. My mother died last October way too soon and it takes much much less than anything specific to make me cry at a moments notice. 

I always felt bad for Madonna after learning about her mother dying, but I realize now that I could in no way understand what she really felt. And even now, in my position, I actually still can't understand completely because I had so much more time with my mother than she did. Her loss must feel so much more like something missing, something she never had then something she had, cherished, took for granted at times, and then ultimately lost. 

Thanks for sharing

On 9/9/2024 at 5:12 PM, dens54 said:

reading your post was not easy. I also lost my mother 5 years ago and, of course, Promise To Try talks to me so much more after this... Thank you for your text and sharing with us. you are not alone... and we know that it's hard when our mother is not here anymore to help us when we stumble and fall... :Madonna041:

May your mothers and family who died all rest in peace! Love