Very honestly, has Taylor Swift surpassed Madonna all-around?

Arckangel

On 9/15/2024 at 4:48 AM, MPowered said:

In order to have cultural impact, you need to be an innovator that initiates a certain kind of shift in the industry.

For example: When Lady Gaga appeared on the scene, you could feel and see how much other artists changed in order to be able to compete with her. The entire music industry went "Gaga". THAT is the kind of cultural and LASTING impact that Hitlor Swift will never have.

Taylor is a quantity over quality artist. She released 8 albums over the course of 4 years. That is the reason she is pulling these numbers. Does anything she do musically, fashion-wise or in other regard directly influence other artists, so that they start to adjust? No. Because she only has success, no true impact. She's a businesswoman, not much of an artist. She has a terrible voice, she can't dance or perform. She can write songs (many of them being extremely formulaic and following the same pattern). Her music is just extremely digestible, inoffensive, plain and perfectly adjusted to her target audience.

This is precisely, why she will never be viewed in the same way as someone like Madonna, Michael Jackson or Lady Gaga. These three actually had a kind of impact that went way beyond the money making machine that is Taylor.

No offence but I don't think Lady Gaga innovated anything.  The electro-dance pop sound was already trending by the time she released The Fame (just the previous year we had Rihanna's Don't Stop The Music and Disturbia, Kylie Minogue's X album, Flo Rida's Low, Hilary Duff's Dignity album, M.I.A.'s Paper Planes.  Rihanna's SOS was already 3 years old by then.  The Dr. Luke/Max Martin/Bloodshy & Avant electro/rock/pop/hip hop sound was already in full swing after Kelly Clarkson's Since U Been Gone, Avril Lavigne's Girlfriend, The Veronicas 4Ever, Britney's Blackout and Circus albums.  The tropical pop vibes of Eh Eh Nothing Else I Can Say had Kevin Lyttle's Turn Me On and Paris Hilton's Stars Are Blind as a blueprint.  Musically, The Fame gave us nothing that hadn't come out before, just now with performance art lifted from David Bowie, Freddie Mercury, Elton John, and modern pop-art artists.

Or if we want to talk about how Alejandro's reggae pop was a callback to Ace of Base, Born This Way was Express Yourself 2.0, The Fashion of His Love was I Wanna Dance With Somebody 2011, You & I was a Shania Twain song + the step step clap of We Will Rock You... I can keep going.

On 9/15/2024 at 2:34 AM, stefo said:

I can agree with that. I'm serious, not joking, I'm not sure at all she could have the age/radio kind of problem. Not cause M paved the way for others of course, but because Taylor is excatly what they want her to be. The pretty girl next door, kind and nice all the time, talking about emotions, especially love and private stuff, no politics, no polemics, no troubles, singing easy listening melodies, where experimentation is a plausible word only if we start from Disney's soundtracks, wearing soporific princess dresses with empty sparkling smiles stamped on her face, being also indipendent and empowered of course, but only as a proper girl next door can be, not more not less. And I think she'll go on like this all the way through: not more not less than what expected and acceptable. I think she could find a way to adapt herself to what acceptable over 35. So maybe she'll manage to go on ... untill a new generation will wake up and simply get the bore of her thing. 

Let's not forget about the victim mentality and white feminism. When Kanye interrupted her at the VMAs, that was the best publicity she ever got.  

I started to dislike Taylor Swift when a fan of hers died at a concert in Rio this year due to dehydration. She didn't even stop the show, call for help, or offer to cover the fan's travel costs to their home state after their death. Other FANS had to pass the hat to raise money.

Taylor then decided to offer a free "meet and greet" with the family of the deceased girl as a PR stunt to appease the situation. It just didn't feel genuine.

But hey... it wasn't her fault that a fan died during a concert, right? :Madonna007:

7 hours ago, Madnness said:

Let's not forget about the victim mentality and white feminism. When Kanye interrupted her at the VMAs, that was the best publicity she ever got.  

Well I'm not a huge fan of some of the recent feminism evolutions either, exacerbating some of the woke and the polically correct perspectives, but I think that it can become problematic to mix these kind of events with a supposed victimism. You know what I mean? In my opinion, the problem there is the lack of complexity in some of their analysis wich lead them to a kind of ideological position about many themes, that's why I'm giving this answear here: I think we can be different and not mix things as some often like to do :cute:

About Swifties reactions to that thing and the huge publicity she had at that moment, I definitely agree and I can tell you that I think I got to know about her existence right because of that :lol: 

2 hours ago, stefo said:

Well I'm not a huge fan of some of the recent feminism evolutions either, exacerbating some of the woke and the polically correct perspectives, but I think that it can become problematic to mix these kind of events with a supposed victimsm. You know what I mean? In my opinion, the problem there is the lack of complexity in some of their analysis wich lead them to a kind of ideological position about many themes, that's why I'm giving this answear here: I think we can be different and not mix things as some often like to do :cute:

About Swifties reaction to that thing and the huge publicity she had at that moment, I definitely agree and I can tell you that I think I got to know about her existence right because of that :lol: 

I didn't mean to associate her "playing the victim" behavior with white feminism. Although she uses feminism to promote herself and her white (and mostly blonde) friends, she tends to portray herself as a victim in various situations. Whether it's conflicts with Kanye West, Katy Perry, Kim K., ex-boyfriends, or "haters", she often portrays herself as being wronged and reinforces this in her songs.

Suing a college student for revealing her frequent plane trips, which contributes to her being the biggest celebrity CO2e polluter, is an example of her behavior. In this case, she's not taking on big industry players, but instead targeting a student who is far more concerned about the environment than she is.

She chose to express her support for Kamala only after Trump fell in the latest polls. However, she didn't say anything about the worsening situation for women in the Middle East. Instead, she chose to defend Lady Gaga's body from "haters" on Instagram or whatever.

For an artist of her caliber, she selectively chooses the battles where she can shine, often at the expense of the other party. What's worse is her fans' willingness to perpetuate this behavior, rather than critically analyzing the individual they admire.  

:Madonna003:

26 minutes ago, Madnness said:

I didn't mean to associate her "playing the victim" behavior with white feminism. Although she uses feminism to promote herself and her white (and mostly blonde) friends, she tends to portray herself as a victim in various situations. Whether it's conflicts with Kanye West, Katy Perry, Kim K., ex-boyfriends, or "haters", she often portrays herself as being wronged and reinforces this in her songs.

Suing a college student for revealing her frequent plane trips, which contributes to her being the biggest celebrity CO2e polluter, is an example of her behavior. In this case, she's not taking on big industry players, but instead targeting a student who is far more concerned about the environment than she is.

She chose to express her support for Kamala only after Trump fell in the latest polls. However, she didn't say anything about the worsening situation for women in the Middle East. Instead, she chose to defend Lady Gaga's body from "haters" on Instagram or whatever.

For an artist of her caliber, she selectively chooses the battles where she can shine, often at the expense of the other party. What's worse is her fans' willingness to perpetuate this behavior, rather than critically analyzing the individual they admire.  

:Madonna003:

I thought it was nasty how she sued Olivia Rodrigo and was so mean to her. Imagine starting your career and your fave demands writing credits for songs that sound nothing like hers. It was just a nasty bullying move