Azealia Banks disagreeing with Katy Perry that "every female artist needs to thank Madonna

True Blue 84

No-one but the most blinkered and insular fan would deny Madonna was influenced by other people. I mean, Madonna has always spoken about her influences openly. But Madonna was a sea change and to suggest that anyone who believes she's been more consequential than Cher or Debbie Harry or Olivia Newton-John in her influence and impact is a loony fan just laughable.

And yes, Kylie is enormously in debt to Madonna - something she acknowledges.

I don't think people seeing Cher and Olivia as influences on the level of Madonna were alive in the 80's... Cher got global very late in her career. She was mostly a tv personality, her 60+ albums are tools. Olivia was not seen as being cool or edgy, she was seen as a goody two shoes. 

Debbie Harry was in a band. Her solo career is shit. Check her god awful first solo album with Nile Rodgers, i'm a huge fan but this is a huge catastrophe. 

Madonna was and still is inspired by a lot of people and she references them. After all she's a pop art child which was about making your thing using other's work as fabric (Warhol). 

I don't think she spends her time wondering if azalia banks is inspired by her nor she's spending her time tweeting or X-ing. 

This is Courtney Love level of high school drama. 

I read a, i guess very old gay, listing Cheryl Ladd in the list of singers not inspired by Madonna in response to her tweet....i mean really ? 

yesterday i saw this insta of Billy Steinberg recounting his encounter with Madonna and most of the comments were aging gays quoting Cher. If you find yourself in your 50's + doing this, please drink bleach. I mean, thank god they don't reproduce and that goes for us doing this on social media answering these trolls or trolling others ourself.

I mean respect yourself.