Rupert Everett says flop movie with Madonna put 'strain' on their friendship, 'finished' him in Hollywood

adled

21 minutes ago, FrozenRain said:

wait.. it was a financial success on home video😮

Rental video was still a thing back then and surely it did well within that area? It was one of those for a lazy weekend home movie marathon.

I was checking Wiki and it did a $24.3 million box office worldwide versus a $25 million budget. I thought it was way worse, honestly.

1 hour ago, Pablo94 said:

Not Rupert using Madonna again to get some press, he never started in Hollywood just because you had one good role in my best friends wedding didn’t mean you made it in Hollywood 

To be fair, the film was his baby.  He was at the height of his success at the time.  I don't believe he's necessarily using Madonna's name to gain press here, but again, this film was HIS.  Madonna was the leading actress and star of the film, so of course he will speak of her.  My guess is that if it wasn't for her, the film probably wouldn't gotten half the attention it did get.  And it's not like he's really bad mouthing her.  In fact, he seems to be taking on the brunt of the failure of the film. 

Personally, I enjoyed the film. While it's not Oscar worthy (but what really is anymore?), it still was a nice film.  It reminded me more of one of those Lifetime movies.  I know a few people who aren't necessarily fans of Madonna, who told me that they actually liked this film.  Any criticism I have for the film is the lighting.  I thought it was awful and it really wasn't flattering to Madonna.

Late 90s to early 2000 gave us lots of Will & Grace, Queer as folk, L word, Birdcage... He thought he could be giving to the gays a quirky rom-com that appeal to the GP but has a strong queer coded content. But he wasn't good at it and the movie wasn't good either. It helped a lot having Madonna there, because Madonna fans will buy and add it to their collection.

The movie did well-ish in the home video format because it ride in a time when there was  interests in mainstream of queer culture. And everything at the time come to DVD with special features and more.

It's true what he says, at least for me, i'm not interested in seeing Madonna play another character as no other character can be as fascinating as she is.

Apparently John Schlesinger kept falling asleep while in the director chair (as told by Everett), Madonna and him kept arguing, of course he died not long after so people blamed Madonna for it, the script Everett wrote was dimmed too dark, it was developped under Sigurjon Sighvatsson reign at Lakeshore (he was a producer on Truth or Dare) then he left a few months before shooting and they asked Ryan Murphy to rewrite the script, he's uncredited because he used to be a ghostwriter and script doctor before his success. To me this also explains how bad, cliché "and made for tv" it turned out to be (i hate RM). Madonna insisted on changing stuff like being a yoga instructor (instead of swimming), her clothes...A yoga instructor with expensive Chloé and Voyage clothes...and her character turns into an unlikable bitch which was off putting. Julia Roberts turned the part down. On the first poster she looked high

Capture d’écran 2024-10-06 173045.png