Sabrina Carpenter covers Madonna's Material Girl

True Blue 84

On 10/12/2024 at 7:24 AM, Alibaba said:

The issue isn’t her tribute. It’s her mediocrity. The same goes for most of the others! They absolutely pale in comparison to Madonna. So the tune will change when someone does Madonna justice instead of being borderline parody. And I mean above board. Not in a Lady Gaga way. 

This precisely. Sometimes i wonder if there will ever be a new girl as special as Madonna... Of course no one will never similar to another person but i mean a girl with balls like Madonna, who is bright, ambitious, who can dance, who is not afraid to make a change with controversy through her art, who is stunning visually, who has an incredible stage presence, who came from nothing and made her way to the top by herself, who knows a lot about art and put references in her videos and artworks, who make trends etc... Really Madonna has too much of the whole package and it's no surprise the other girls looks pale in comparison... I do wonder if there will be a new girl as special one day though... For the moment i see no one.

4 hours ago, Redha DBL said:

This precisely. Sometimes i wonder if there will ever be a new girl as special as Madonna... Of course no one will never similar to another person but i mean a girl with balls like Madonna, who is bright, ambitious, who can dance, who is not afraid to make a change with controversy through her art, who is stunning visually, who has an incredible stage presence, who came from nothing and made her way to the top by herself, who knows a lot about art and put references in her videos and artworks, who make trends etc... Really Madonna has too much of the whole package and it's no surprise the other girls looks pale in comparison... I do wonder if there will be a new girl as special one day though... For the moment i see no one.

You described Lady Gaga, basically.

Some stans are so insular, my god.

almost 20 years around the fanbase and i still don't get used how you guys can't cope with new artists poping up... i don't know why some of you get so angry about new girls taking the stage, especially if she's doing pop and somehow relate with Madonna.
Sabrina is cool, her album is great and she is doing a nice job

12 hours ago, Starchild said:

You described Lady Gaga, basically.

Some stans are so insular, my god.

Oh, honey, in what world is Gaga considered a sex symbol? What ‘it’ factor? Gaga looks like a typical Jersey Shore resident. Nothing about her stands out, hence her living everyday in costume like it’s Halloween. 🤷🏼‍♂️

She can sing great and that’s wonderful and a very strong talent, but lots of people are great singers.

Gaga can’t dance. She isn’t sexy and she has never been first at anything in the Pop world.

I know you think this is GagaDaily, but this is Madonna-Infinity.

You can try to sell your Madonna/Bowie wannabe here all you want, but until she has 32 singles in a row hit the Top 40, has at least 38 Top 10 singles and suddenly becomes a sex symbol, she cannot be compared to Madonna, the Queen of Pop.

:polish:

13 hours ago, Redha DBL said:

You're kidding right ? 

Nope.

Gaga ticks more of those boxes than most contemporary artists, and that's interchangeable with Beyonce, probably.

When you consider the different eras that they came up in compared to M, and that they exceed her vocally, it's comparable.

Also, M hasn't had a proper hit for over 15 years now (yet has kept up with touring), so there's that to factor in, too.

And M's dancing skills are pretty overrated. She has grace and can execute fierce choreo, but FKA Twigs she is not.

5 hours ago, Starchild said:

Nope.

Gaga ticks more of those boxes than most contemporary artists, and that's interchangeable with Beyonce, probably.

When you consider the different eras that they came up in compared to M, and that they exceed her vocally, it's comparable.

Also, M hasn't had a proper hit for over 15 years now (yet has kept up with touring), so there's that to factor in, too.

And M's dancing skills are pretty overrated. She has grace and can execute fierce choreo, but FKA Twigs she is not.

The only thing Gaga has is that she can sing and can play piano. She can't dance, she has no charisma or stage presence, she looks grotesque most of the time, the only controversy she has made was about a ridiculous meat dress, she always plays the victim card about her health, rape etc..., She isn't sexy at all, to me she's the most unnatractive mainstream female singer and all the surgery she has done hasn't help, she has zero art culture and when she tries she makes innacuracies... And you say Madonna hasn't had a proper hit in 15 years, ok, but that still makes 27 years of hits and even she doesn't have a huge hit in her 60's she still around and the only old female singer the young generation makes feat with (The Weeknd, Ariana Grande, Dua Lipa etc...) And you also say M skills are pretty overrated that is very untrue. M can nail all kinds of dancing, from 20's to modern, clasiscal to Hip-Hop, and she has that fluidness on her moves that Lady Gaga never will have. Lady Gaga just tries to hard. To me she's not authentic. She always tries ti create a personna that is not her. When she is talking in interviews you can feel she trying to hard to say things that are not natural, spontaneous. I don't like that. And i also think she a terrible actress, worse that Madonna, but that last point isn't very popular cause you know, "a star is born" has been successful but i still think that movie is terrible. We watched it with 4 friends, 2 of them arr not fan of Madonna and were very excited to watch the movie. We all decided to stop the movie after about 1 hour. It was totally bad. A girl meet a guy on a parking, they creates a few lines of a song together, then they go different ways and after a few days she finds him and join him on stage and knows all the words of the song to sing with him... That was atrociously boring and bad. We just couldn't believe how the movie was successful, and her acting game was one of the worse we had ever seen. Same level as when she speaks on interviews... 

6 hours ago, Boombox90 said:

Oh, honey, in what world is Gaga considered a sex symbol? What ‘it’ factor? Gaga looks like a typical Jersey Shore resident. Nothing about her stands out, hence her living everyday in costume like it’s Halloween. 🤷🏼‍♂️

She can sing great and that’s wonderful and a very strong talent, but lots of people are great singers.

Gaga can’t dance. She isn’t sexy and she has never been first at anything in the Pop world.

I know you think this is GagaDaily, but this is Madonna-Infinity.

You can try to sell your Madonna/Bowie wannabe here all you want, but until she has 32 singles in a row hit the Top 40, has at least 38 Top 10 singles and suddenly becomes a sex symbol, she cannot be compared to Madonna, the Queen of Pop.

:polish:

Some things are so true that they shouldn't be labelled as opinions but as facts. 

4 hours ago, Redha DBL said:

The only thing Gaga has is that she can sing and can play piano. She can't dance, she has no charisma or stage presence, she looks grotesque most of the time, the only controversy she has made was about a ridiculous meat dress, she always plays the victim card about her health, rape etc..., She isn't sexy at all, to me she's the most unnatractive mainstream female singer and all the surgery she has done hasn't help, she has zero art culture and when she tries she makes innacuracies... And you say Madonna hasn't had a proper hit in 15 years, ok, but that still makes 27 years of hits and even she doesn't have a huge hit in her 60's she still around and the only old female singer the young generation makes feat with (The Weeknd, Ariana Grande, Dua Lipa etc...) And you also say M skills are pretty overrated that is very untrue. M can nail all kinds of dancing, from 20's to modern, clasiscal to Hip-Hop, and she has that fluidness on her moves that Lady Gaga never will have. Lady Gaga just tries to hard. To me she's not authentic. She always tries ti create a personna that is not her. When she is talking in interviews you can feel she trying to hard to say things that are not natural, spontaneous. I don't like that. And i also think she a terrible actress, worse that Madonna, but that last point isn't very popular cause you know, "a star is born" has been successful but i still think that movie is terrible. We watched it with 4 friends, 2 of them arr not fan of Madonna and were very excited to watch the movie. We all decided to stop the movie after about 1 hour. It was totally bad. A girl meet a guy on a parking, they creates a few lines of a song together, then they go different ways and after a few days she finds him and join him on stage and knows all the words of the song to sing with him... That was atrociously boring and bad. We just couldn't believe how the movie was successful, and her acting game was one of the worse we had ever seen. Same level as when she speaks on interviews... 

Thanks for your reply but after a quick skim of this wall of words, it's clear that there's no reasoning with an obsessed fan.

12 hours ago, Redha DBL said:

The only thing Gaga has is that she can sing and can play piano.

She can't dance, she has no charisma or stage presence, she looks grotesque most of the time

the only controversy she has made was about a ridiculous meat dress

She isn't sexy at all

she's the most unnatractive mainstream female singer

she's not authentic. She always tries ti create a personna that is not her.

a terrible actress, worse that Madonna

so, not a Madonna copycat at all, zero similarities... so that's settled then.

46 minutes ago, Redha DBL said:

This reasoning makes absolutely no sense. The fact she doesn't have half the charisma, beauty and dance skills of Madonna doesn't mean she doesn't try to emulate her ( and of course totally fail).

in that case, it's a shame Madonna doesn't influence someone more talented and capable.

How we still have to endure Gaga lunacy on a Madonna forum ten years after she was even remotely (and with hindsight quite obviously mistakenly) considered on par with Madonna is beyond me. Lady Gaga is a fraud. She is mediocrity incarnate. She may pull the wool over the casual jazz standard initiate’s eyes; she may dazzle the easily dazzled with her taped, contoured, painted and cosmetically enhanced canvas of mimicry and lies; she may elicit the sympathy and affection of the victim-centric generation she was elevated by. But anyone with a broadened, seasoned culture of music has always been able to see the mediocrity for what it is. And therein lies the core critique that provoked this discussion to begin with. Mediocrity. Everyone has a little of it. Even Madonna. But it’s simply not a consistently relative adjective in Madonna’s body of work. 

Also, the blanket rejection expressed by anyone arguing that seeing these pop nothings for their mediocrity is standom or an inability to keep up with the times is missing the point entirely. Personally I am an avid music listener and I thrive on discovering new music. It’s just that the people you might consider culturally relevant due to the visibility that the corporatism behind them buys and tries to force upon the tried and true key demographics (predominantly gay men and adolescent girls) are not the sort of musical acts I am interested in. If there’s one thing that the elimination of the monoculture has given us, it’s the ability to indulge our curiosity. I have no issue with anyone who finds Sabrina Carpenter or Chappell Roan interesting and entertaining. I have listened to their music and watched their performances, and in the same way I felt when I did the same with Lady Gaga and Katy Perry a generation before, I personally found they were mediocre. 

As this is a MADONNA forum, I feel perfectly secure stating that those of us who have steadfastly grown alongside, and in part as a result of, Madonna’s own evolution, both artistic and personal, have been so lucky to have been on that journey because she was, and remains, so extraordinarily exceptional. If that isn’t obvious to anyone who spends so much time on this particular forum, oh well…

p.s. The Joni Mitchell hate is so infantile and unwarranted. Do the people who reject her solely for her indictment of the use of sexuality to sell records actually know anything about the woman? Have they listened to her music? She too is an exceptional talent who is among the most poetic lyricists of the 20th century. It really is worrying that someone would have nothing but denigration of her physical appearance  to rely on as an argument against her musical genius. She’s almost 81. I’m more than thrilled to be having the opportunity to see her live this weekend. What a legacy! 

2 hours ago, Alibaba said:

How we still have to endure Gaga lunacy on a Madonna forum ten years after she was even remotely (and with hindsight quite obviously mistakenly) considered on par with Madonna is beyond me. Lady Gaga is a fraud. She is mediocrity incarnate. She may pull the wool over the casual jazz standard initiate’s eyes; she may dazzle the easily dazzled with her taped, contoured, painted and cosmetically enhanced canvas of mimicry and lies; she may elicit the sympathy and affection of the victim-centric generation she was elevated by. But anyone with a broadened, seasoned culture of music has always been able to see the mediocrity for what it is. And therein lies the core critique that provoked this discussion to begin with. Mediocrity. Everyone has a little of it. Even Madonna. But it’s simply not a consistently relative adjective in Madonna’s body of work. 

Also, the blanket rejection expressed by anyone arguing that seeing these pop nothings for their mediocrity is standom or an inability to keep up with the times is missing the point entirely. Personally I am an avid music listener and I thrive on discovering new music. It’s just that the people you might consider culturally relevant due to the visibility that the corporatism behind them buys and tries to force upon the tried and true key demographics (predominantly gay men and adolescent girls) are not the sort of musical acts I am interested in. If there’s one thing that the elimination of the monoculture has given us, it’s the ability to indulge our curiosity. I have no issue with anyone who finds Sabrina Carpenter or Chappell Roan interesting and entertaining. I have listened to their music and watched their performances, and in the same way I felt when I did the same with Lady Gaga and Katy Perry a generation before, I personally found they were mediocre. 

As this is a MADONNA forum, I feel perfectly secure stating that those of us who have steadfastly grown alongside, and in part as a result of, Madonna’s own evolution, both artistic and personal, have been so lucky to have been on that journey because she was, and remains, so extraordinarily exceptional. If that isn’t obvious to anyone who spends so much time on this particular forum, oh well…

p.s. The Joni Mitchell hate is so infantile and unwarranted. Do the people who reject her solely for her indictment of the use of sexuality to sell records actually know anything about the woman? Have they listened to her music? She too is an exceptional talent who is among the most poetic lyricists of the 20th century. It really is worrying that someone would have nothing but denigration of her physical appearance  to rely on as an argument against her musical genius. She’s almost 81. I’m more than thrilled to be having the opportunity to see her live this weekend. What a legacy! 

More subjective dribble from narrow-minded fans...

Many consider M a jack of all trades and a master at none (except egomania, perhaps), so don't confuse opinion with fact.

I'm not even a big Gaga fan but I simply loathe blind hatred *and* blind love on either side of the argument in equal measure.

And to condemn earlier Joni comments yet criticise another female musician's physicality in the same post is hypocritical.

50 minutes ago, Starchild said:

More subjective dribble from narrow-minded fans...

Many consider M a jack of all trades and a master at none (except egomania, perhaps), so don't confuse opinion with fact.

I'm not even a big Gaga fan but I simply loathe blind hatred *and* blind love on either side of the argument in equal measure.

And to condemn earlier Joni comments yet criticise another female musician's physicality in the same post is hypocritical.

You are a HUGE Gaga Stan, babe. 💋

Own it.

39 minutes ago, androiduser said:

Madonna fans: babbling about Gaga all the time

also Madonna fans: Why do we have to endure Gaga talk on a Madonna forum? :suffer:

Gaga fans: Gaga is amazing, she’s nothing like Madonna, but exactly like Madonna!

also Gaga fans: why do people constantly put Gaga down on a Madonna forum even though we keep insisting Gaga is equal, If not better than Madonna, on a Madonna forum!! :cry: