Single Reissues Campaign - Causing a Commotion - OUT NOW

New_Boy

6 minutes ago, BoyToyMark said:

That's what a remaster is, I think we're saying the same thing. :D

No, it's not the same. Adjusting the bass, treble, and other elements is part of remastering, while creating a master for different formats is a different process altogether. A master for vinyl is not the same as one for CD; they use different parameters to ensure that both formats ideally reproduce the same sound.

American Life doesn't need a remaster; it just needs to be released without compression (since an uncompressed master is available). The same goes for Music, MDNA, and others. However, it would sound quieter, and many fans would probably grab their torches and pitchforks.

10 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

No, it's not the same. Adjusting the bass, treble, and other elements is part of remastering, while creating a master for different formats is a different process altogether. A master for vinyl is not the same as one for CD; they use different parameters to ensure that both formats ideally reproduce the same sound.

American Life doesn't need a remaster; it just needs to be released without compression (since an uncompressed master is available). The same goes for Music, MDNA, and others. However, it would sound quieter, and many fans would probably grab their torches and pitchforks.

You're right, so the original mastering engineer Tim Young would have mastered the albums for various formats, CD, Cassette and LP. 

I was saying I would like a remaster, so from the multi-tracks, a new master created for the formats and distributed. 

A limiter would still be used in the process. Otherwise I should probably throw away my degree haha. 

1 minute ago, Aiwa08 said:

All her songs since Music have had this problem, although it was also present in Ray of Light, but not as much

How'd have got Heartbeat if it hadn't been compressed to hell, would it sound less "painful" to the majority of fans (to me, the MINORITY, it's perfect as it is, just like Candy Shop, Give It 2 Me etc. are)?

9 minutes ago, Anapausis said:

How'd have got Heartbeat if it hadn't been compressed to hell, would it sound less "painful" to the majority of fans (to me, the MINORITY, it's perfect as it is, just like Candy Shop, Give It 2 Me etc. are)?

Sadly, a bad song is still bad whether the dynamic range is compressed or not, but with the dynamic range compressed, it's an even worse song to our ears.

12 hours ago, Anapausis said:

It's been out for approximately 30 hours afaik.

yea i was not aware it was release until that time today 4 hours ago.... so unexpected ... yes madonna australia reported it was the other night....

14 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

You're right. Bad example. I changed 4M for BGO. I think this is less compressed. Anyway this mixes are less compressed than the CD version.

Yeah they sound like the final mixes/bounces before they're sent for mastering.

But there will always be limiters and compression on releases, it's just about the engineer using a delicate balance to bring the level up but maintain dynamic range. Doing that is important for a listening experience. 

Unfortunately anything after 2010 has an an extreme amount used.

I’d love an American Life remaster with some dynamic range especially for Nothing Fails. I often used to leave the American Life singles out of my CD compilations. The jump scare of Madonna’s 

“I’m in love with you” from Nothing Fails was a lot. They just don’t blend with her other singles. 

American Life will always be the anti-Madonna album for me. 

Such a great read @steady75 Wow!

And while is one of my personal faves, I have to agree. While it's a window to her most depressed soul at the time, it's also aggressive, raw, non pleasant. There's no warmth at all. It's definitely a mid-life crisis album. One should wonder why she was so reflective and... miserable indeed? only two years after getting married to her so-called "soulmate".

Well, maybe now we know why?

I also think the Ritchie connection made her explore violence and raw darkness (not inspiring darkness) within her own creativity, maybe being inspired by his own work or maybe to try to appeal to his macho views. Explicit use of violence had never been part of the Madonna recipe up until she met him.

6 hours ago, Prayer said:

Such a great read @steady75 Wow!

And while is one of my personal faves, I have to agree. While it's a window to her most depressed soul at the time, it's also aggressive, raw, non pleasant. There's no warmth at all. It's definitely a mid-life crisis album. One should wonder why she was so reflective and... miserable indeed? only two years after getting married to her so-called "soulmate".

Well, maybe now we know why?

I also think the Ritchie connection made her explore violence and raw darkness (not inspiring darkness) within her own creativity, maybe being inspired by his own work or maybe to try to appeal to his macho views. Explicit use of violence had never been part of the Madonna recipe up until she met him.

9/11, Bush presidency, becoming more and more annoyed with your home country & menopause.

She hated Bush to a boiling passion. She likely also reflected a lot on her career and life choices after she experienced motherhood along with an actual marriage. She was living a very different life than she did before 2001.

While we are talking about the merits of MDNA…

What does everyone think of Beautiful Killer?

I honestly don’t understand why it didn’t make the cut for the main track list.

It’s my most listened to track from MDNA by miles.

The Paris one-off performance mashing it up with Die Another Day would have been a highlight of the show for me if it had been part of the MDNA tour setlist. 

Even though it’s my personal top MDNA track, I’m not convinced that it could have been a hit single for Madonna however.  (If she had released a ‘violent themed’ song from MDNA as a single it would have been Gang Bang, the title alone would have been controversial if before you factor in a violence themed promo video clip). 

Revolver was a flop in the UK and didn’t make the main Billboard chart in the US. Would Beautiful Killer have been regarded as a thematic follow up?

Die Another Day was a very divisive Bond theme. Beautiful Killer feels like it would suited a Madonna take on a Bond soundtrack. I wonder how the song would have been received if it had been a second Madonna track contributed to the Die Another Day soundtrack?

3 minutes ago, MadonnaDave said:

While we are talking about the merits of MDNA…

What does everyone think of Beautiful Killer?

I honestly don’t understand why it didn’t make the cut for the main track list.

It’s my most listened to track from MDNA by miles.

The Paris one-off performance mashing it up with Die Another Day would have been a highlight of the show for me if it had been part of the MDNA tour setlist. 

Even though it’s my personal top MDNA track, I’m not convinced that it could have been a hit single for Madonna however.  (If she had released a ‘violent themed’ song from MDNA as a single it would have been Gang Bang, the title alone would have been controversial if before you factor in a violence themed promo video clip). 

Revolver was a flop in the UK and didn’t make the main Billboard chart in the US. Would Beautiful Killer have been regarded as a thematic follow up?

Die Another Day was a very divisive Bond theme. Beautiful Killer feels like it would suited a Madonna take on a Bond soundtrack. I wonder how the song would have been received if it had been a second Madonna track contributed to the Die Another Day soundtrack?

I LOVE "Beautiful Killer" - except for the CHEAP shot FX sound at the end, I hated that bit since day one. xd

But the song, it's so good. It's so quintessentially her: her classic melodies, her classic tone of voice, even one of her classic type middle 8s. You can tell that one wasn't a bought track, she really wrote that one. It's so her.

A single? Don't know. A great track? Definitely.

Don't forget "Love Spent" was meant to be initially a Deluxe track and "B-Day Song" on the standard 12-track album. And "GMAYL" was track number 7 on the album at first. The tracklist decisions were a little bit all over the place on "MDNA", honestly.