Single Reissues Campaign - Causing a Commotion - OUT NOW

New_Boy

13 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Ray of Light says hello!

You’re right: I had completely forgotten it.

But this has never been a problem for me because I love how Madonna makes any song written by others her own. I don’t understand why it should matter in the case of MDNA.

7 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Nothing Fails too which all the fans at the time creamed their panties over. Don't Tell Me as well. 

Nothing Fails" and "Don't Tell Me" too? I didn't know that. I'll never forget how some fans who had early access to the album referred to 'Nothing Fails' as 'Like a Prayer 2".

6 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Nothing Fails" and "Don't Tell Me" too? I didn't know that. I'll never forget how some fans who had early access to the album referred to 'Nothing Fails' as 'Like a Prayer 2".

Yeah the demo leaked like decades ago sung and written by Jem. Same lyrics etc except it has an Indian sound/vibe. Somewhat Bollywood IMO.

8 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Also might I add...fans creamed their panties over Turn Up the Radio too! Except MDNA flopping totally rewrote history and now all of a sudden everyone hates it and always hated it 🙄 ironically enough...everyone hated the snippet of Love Spent when Perez Hilton was doing the week long preview of MDNA on his site.

22 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Except MDNA flopping totally rewrote history and now all of a sudden everyone hates it and always hated it 🙄

Yeah, I clearly remember how some fans' attitudes changed when MDNA started to slide down the charts like a stone. It’s somewhat reminiscent of what happened with Erotica, where many fans turned against the album when it didn’t meet expectations. Now, 30 years later, it doesn’t matter, but I still remember it clearly (and no, I’m not comparing Erotica and MDNA artistically, just the shift in some fans’ attitudes).

11 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Yeah, I clearly remember how some fans' attitudes changed when MDNA started to slide down the charts like a stone. It’s somewhat reminiscent of what happened with Erotica, where many fans turned against the album when it didn’t meet expectations. Now, 30 years later, it doesn’t matter, but I still remember it clearly (and no, I’m not comparing Erotica and MDNA artistically, just the shift in some fans’ attitudes).

I was a wee babe during Erotica but I can totally believe you. The opposite happened with American Life i feel...I even remember complaints about a possible final single of Easy Ride and fans saying stop beating a dead horse. Of course tastes evolve but ugh the fandom has been a mess since American Life IMO. That truly was the first crack she never bounced back from. I do believe her marrying a brit and living in europe really helped confessions do well over there and had she done the same promo she did for AL in america for it, it would've been a different story in the US in terms of success. I mean she really did no promo for it in the US compared to europe.

2 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

So what? Many of her biggest hits were songs nobody else wanted, and she just tweaked a word here and there, and we never complained about that (Holiday, Like A Virgin, Open Your Heart, La Isla Bonita—a song originally for Michael Jackson, Justify My Love..........) Let's not be hypocrites now with this issue when we talk about MDNA...

One of Madonna's greatest talents has always been her ability to take songs written by others and make them her own.

The issue is her being listed as the main writer on MDNA songs when her contribution was beyond minimal. She didn’t receive writing credit for some of the hits you listed. She was more honest back then.

MDNA is just a bad album with very little artistic input from her. It was a rushed album simply released to have something to go on tour with.

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

You’re right: I had completely forgotten it.

But this has never been a problem for me because I love how Madonna makes any song written by others her own. I don’t understand why it should matter in the case of MDNA.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Nothing Fails too which all the fans at the time creamed their panties over. Don't Tell Me as well. 

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

I have no issue with those songs because you can tell that she heavily tweaked them and she didn't shy away from giving the actual writers their well deserved flowers.

For MDNA as well as Revolver, she acted like it was all her and those songs were barely changed from their original form. She didn’t bother doing anything to actually make those her own and still received a very generous portion of the writing credit. The only song that she genuinely changed was Gang Bang.

7 minutes ago, MPowered said:

MDNA is just a bad album with very little artistic input from her. It was a rushed album simply released to have something to go on tour with.

MDNA is an album that reflects a divorced woman who has been repressed, and once she is free, she just wants to have fun, enjoy life, and release that pent-up anger, rather than becoming philosophical and deep.

48 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

MDNA is an album that reflects a divorced woman who has been repressed, and once she is free, she just wants to have fun, enjoy life, and release that pent-up anger, rather than becoming philosophical and deep.

I wouldn't want it any other way.  It's just another time stamp in her life.  The tour that followed was spectacular (not so much the film concert release).

7 minutes ago, Roy said:

God, who approved that monstrosity?

Susan herself was involved in the process, and we know it because she said so and shared videos about it. An MP3 recorded directly from the soundboard sounds better than the 5.1 mix.

Just now, Aiwa08 said:

Susan herself was involved in the process, and we know it because she said so and shared videos about it.

Eugh... gross.

If it is possible for anyone to re-edit the whole thing, they can do it in a heartbeat.

They just need Madonna's laptop for the VEGAS Pro project file.

2 minutes ago, Roy said:

Eugh... gross.

If it is possible for anyone to re-edit the whole thing, they can do it in a heartbeat.

They just need Madonna's laptop for the VEGAS Pro project file.

Well, it was her 'artistic' decision, and it should be respected as the creator’s choice... But I want the video using a good soundboard recording as the sound source.

11 minutes ago, BoyToyMark said:

MDNA is a good album, particularly the main 12 tracks. Production choices just let it down, but still enjoyable if you just take it for what it was at the time. 2012 was challenging sonically in general haha. I still enjoy it though :)

In my opinion, between 2009 and 2013, there was a kind of 'musical revolution' (I’m not saying it was necessarily good) driven by the internet, which changed how people consumed music and their musical tastes, especially among young people, and this caught Madonna off guard.

PS: MDNA is not my favorite album, but it is the Madonna album I’ve played the most. It always puts me in a good mood.