What do YOU want her to do next?

Posted this in the New Music Thread, but figured I'd post it here as well....

I know this is just a fever dream at this point, but so was the idea of her serving something like the Rio concert until last weekend....

....what if her next era is a major comeback again like Confessions? Obviously not the same level of chart breaking success, but her being back in the public consciousness with new music that's well received, another sold out tour focused on the new music, and her main creative collaborators back at it (Stuart, Mirwais, Jonas, etc).

There are many parallels here to Reinvention Tour and what came after...

...I'd just be so beyond slayed if this woman really has another era left in her that doesn't feel like an appendix to her catalog. MDNA, Rebel Heart, Madame X, and arguably even Hard Candy feel superfluous against the rest of her catalog. It'd be wild for her to be back in the pop conversation with a new QUALITY release again.

Last weekend, I was convinced this was it. That performance felt like such a finale. But I've had people asking me about Rio that I'm surprised were even aware of it. It seems like this performance did her some major good will. Maybe this is the boost she needed to get back out there with another strong album.

I feel like this tour proved she understands what makes her MADONNA and that she tapped back into the best parts of herself as an artist. All of that time self reflecting and seeing how her catalog has been received live will definitely play into her next move as an artist.

This woman continues to blow me away in unexpected ways nearly 20 years into being a fan. It's such a gift to be a fan of Madonna. 

She would be well aware of no new music since MX (apart from some of her tracks re-done with some younger artists who inspire her). Guy and the team who would well aware of all the great press as well. They would have a plan in place.  Stuart has been touring with her the whole time.  His work was basically done at the start putting all the tracks together.  I reckon he would have been working on tracks the whole time.  It maybe sooner than we think

2 hours ago, blondebenji said:

She would be well aware of no new music since MX (apart from some of her tracks re-done with some younger artists who inspire her). Guy and the team who would well aware of all the great press as well. They would have a plan in place.  Stuart has been touring with her the whole time.  His work was basically done at the start putting all the tracks together.  I reckon he would have been working on tracks the whole time.  It maybe sooner than we think

Pray Season 3 GIF by Bachelor in Paradise

The nostalgia; It's been "neat" (😁), but I've never been one to keep looking back. I always want to keep moving forward and for a while it seems Madonna has been reflecting instead of marching on, and I guess that's partly down to a portion of the fanbase who revel in the nostalgia of "Madonna". Maybe now it's out of her system, she'll work with some new musicians, producers and writers that will deliver something we haven't heard from Madonna before. But really, at this stage, she doesn't have to do fuxk all for anyone either 🙂 she's really in uncharted territory where no other living artist has been before. Happy for her to just enjoy whatever she wants to do. She's earned that right.

1 hour ago, Anapausis said:

To have a very well deserved rest and then announce the 13th tour asap!! This time to a setlist with mostly deep cuts and album tracks, plus B-sides and unreleased/leaked stuff, PLEASE!!!

That would only work in small venues 

56 minutes ago, Anapausis said:

And? At least in Brazil she would pack a stadium to this, right?

Imagine the meltdowns and bad press she would get if she booked a stadium or arena where she only did songs that a majority of the audience doesn't even know and actual hits. It wouldn't work; the only way this would be successful is if it were promoted as a tour for her die hard fans and booked in intimate venues. 

On 5/6/2024 at 5:47 PM, captainjay said:

I always wondered if doing minimal songs from the LAV album on the Celebration Tour was intentional (career retrospective and neither Material Girl or Like a Virgin were performed live?). What if she plans to do a small round of shows, where she performs The First Album and Like a Virgin, start to finish? Sarah McLachlan is going a Fumbling Towards Ecstasy tour this summer where she performs the album beginning to end. 

Could be an interesting way to promote the deluxe box sets? 

Sounds good. Especially now that I have rediscovered this album, LIke a Virgin, and it is becoming one of my favorites even though in the past it was not part of my top 5 of Madonna's best albums.

Something that I doubt will one day happen with The First Album because its extremely long and monotonous songs prevent this important album from being one of my favorites. The First Album is an album that in order to "digest" it I have had to replace the long songs with edited versions of some of her compilations such as Inmaculate or Celebration.

Anyway, the idea of seeing Madonna singing the entire album Like a Virgin including the songs Crazy for you and Gambler sounds pretty good to me. I vote in favor.

On 5/7/2024 at 12:47 AM, captainjay said:

I always wondered if doing minimal songs from the LAV album on the Celebration Tour was intentional (career retrospective and neither Material Girl or Like a Virgin were performed live?). What if she plans to do a small round of shows, where she performs The First Album and Like a Virgin, start to finish? Sarah McLachlan is going a Fumbling Towards Ecstasy tour this summer where she performs the album beginning to end. 

Could be an interesting way to promote the deluxe box sets? 

When the tour started in october I noticed that too, it's the only huge success wich have litterally not a single track performed live, even if from that era she sang Into the groove and Crazy for you and she managed to quote three tracks anyway (Material girl, Like a Virgin and Angel). LAV was largely tributed for the 30th anniversary in the Rebel Heart Tour with 4 out of 9 tracks performed thoigh: Material girl, Like a virgin, Love don't live here anymore and Dress you up.

16 hours ago, Anapausis said:

To have a very well deserved rest and then announce the 13th tour asap!! This time to a setlist with mostly deep cuts and album tracks, plus B-sides and unreleased/leaked stuff, PLEASE!!!

12 hours ago, musicinferno said:

Imagine the meltdowns and bad press she would get if she booked a stadium or arena where she only did songs that a majority of the audience doesn't even know and actual hits. It wouldn't work; the only way this would be successful is if it were promoted as a tour for her die hard fans and booked in intimate venues. 

I love the idea but agree her own Anti Tour would have to be done in clubs or smaller venues, and explicitly promoted as such.

That said, imagine getting a setlist with Skin, Sanctuary, Promise to Try, Secret Garden, dusting off Sky Fits Heaven, Impressive Instant, Gone, Forbidden Love 05, Love Spent, etc etc etc.

3 hours ago, MikeyK said:

I love the idea but agree her own Anti Tour would have to be done in clubs or smaller venues, and explicitly promoted as such.

That said, imagine getting a setlist with Skin, Sanctuary, Promise to Try, Secret Garden, dusting off Sky Fits Heaven, Impressive Instant, Gone, Forbidden Love 05, Love Spent, etc etc etc.

I like the idea but I imagine she’ll be ready to do new music next.

Well guys, I think she knows that a new album or at least a bunch of REAL new songs (not feauturings or remixes) is important at this point, for us and for her market in general, and I think she can be quite more motivated than the recent years to be back in studio, after the huge success she is having. The bigger in a very long time. Also I can't help but thinking how things changed again since Warner took her back under their giude. Do you remember what our hopes were? That she could have her credibility back. Well, first target reached. So I think, after a good break, they will go on supporting her for the best.

The idea of a deep cut setlist is amazing, but honestly very hard to happen. At least not with such huge shows. It could be more something like Tears of a clown from Melbourne. But I think she could start varying a little more the old singles to include in her future tour: NRM, BG, BS were well recieved, sang and appreciated this year. NRM have been described as one of her "old classics" by journalists in Italy, when she performed in MIlan and now reporting from Rio and it never was a real hit commercially :lol:  What I mean is that going back to some old songs give those tracks AND ALBUMS new life and space. NRM is an even more significant track in her repertoire after the Celebration Tour imo. So why not going with The power of goodbye, Causing a commotion, Secret or, obviously, RESCUE ME next time!!!

Biopic. It's the reason she did this tour, which was Plan B. She's proven she can still sell out arenas and break records; now she wants that extra $150+m seed money to do it the way she intended (OR she'll finance it herself like Truth or Dare). While she's not too relevant to a target demographic like Taylor fans, the tour got both old fans and new, younger sets of eyes curious about her. I don't think her writing AND directing this is the best idea but even if it's messy it will come directly from her mind.

While the biopic script was rumored to have ended around the early 90s, her recent health scare and recovery is a story that writes itself, which brings me to what will most likely happen by the late fall of this year, a Jonas Akerlund directed concert film a la "IGTTYAS" w rehearsals, health scare, recovery and record breaking Rio crowd. I have a feeling some of those pointed speeches she made during her shows are story beats for the doc.