LDLHA (Rebel Heart Tour)

It has to be about licensing.  Nothing else really makes sense.   It was such a highlight and she and her team knew it. Including it, would have definitely made the concert film even more loved.   It's unfortunate, but I do think she had to cut it due to legal issues.  :sad:

18 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

If that’s true then how was she allowed to perform it every night on tour ? Surely a deal would have been struck so they knew it was to be filmed ? She had no trouble clearing imagine , I feel love , disco inferno and billie Jean on previous tour performances 

Maybe I'm wrong but I think you don't need a license to perform a song every night, just paying the necessary fee for it (that's how tribute bands work), while releasing it is another story and you need a proper permission from the owner?

It's funny cause you can still hear a little bit of "LDLHA" on the official release!

11 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Maybe I'm wrong but I think you don't need a license to perform a song every night, just paying the necessary fee for it (that's how tribute bands work), while releasing it is another story and you need a proper permission from the owner?

It's funny cause you can still hear a little bit of "LDLHA" on the official release!

I think if it's just a few seconds it's a sample, not a performance.

Agree: there are diiferent terms when u perform a cover every night as wehen u release it on CD/Homevideo 

Love dont live here was vocaly the highlight of the tour, there must be because of legal reason a cut out

I wonder if the Prince and MJ estate are easy to handle for the release of Celebration Tour!! 

PS: have u ever noticed on bootleg versions of Holiday DWT the sample of "music sounds better with you" (after M - when i say pimp u say...) is much more notable than in the DVD version of DWT Detroit. u can compare this very good in the soundboard LA version that was shared ...

Edited by dude78 (see edit history)

6 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

If that’s true then how was she allowed to perform it every night on tour ? Surely a deal would have been struck so they knew it was to be filmed ? She had no trouble clearing imagine , I feel love , disco inferno and billie Jean on previous tour performances 

Because from what I've read and learned from industry professionals, there is a difference in legal terms/usages for performing something live vs putting that performance out for actual purchase.

Also, depending on who owns rights, etc....different owners/estates may have different stipulations, costs, etc. regarding what and how something can be used.

3 hours ago, dude78 said:

PS: have u ever noticed on bootleg versions of Holiday DWT the sample of "music sounds better with you" (after M - when i say pimp u say...) is much more notable than in the DVD version of DWT Detroit. u can compare this very good in the soundboard LA version that was shared ...

Yes! The sample is removed from the commercial DVD release but you can hear the other instrumentation that Stuart Price added to get it to fit with holiday. 

you can hear the sample clearly on the Promo only Holiday performance that was issued on the Total Entertainment sampler DVD. It’s not the same performance/vocals as the released version either (Nikki has different speech I think).you’re also correct on the LA respecting we got. I love that recording because all the songs sound as we heard them and no additional production on them. Impressive Instant is particularly good on that show

3 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

Because from what I've read and learned from industry professionals, there is a difference in legal terms/usages for performing something live vs putting that performance out for actual purchase.

Also, depending on who owns rights, etc....different owners/estates may have different stipulations, costs, etc. regarding what and how something can be used.

Exactly, one doesn't need to obtain permission or a license to perform a cover song "live".  The venues are responsible for obtaining a blanket license from their local PRO(s) to ensure the legal status of songs that are played within their premises.  But as soon as you record with intention to distribute/sell, that's when a license from the artist must be obtain.  My guess the writers of that song were asking way to much to use it.  :) 

11 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

Those are completely different things

Everybody has the “right” to perform any musical piece from any artist in time as long as they pay the authors union as they aren’t using either the original production, phonogram, interpretation… 

Publishing rights is a complete and very complicated animal that can go all the way to not finding who has the original rights if the original owners are deceased, to the use of the music or interpretation, not the case here. It’s a very complicated and unregulated money wise industry. As an imaginative scenario the owners of I feel love could have asked for $50 dollars and the owners of LDLHA could have asked for $50 million (just as an example… no body would’ve asked for that amount). There are cases that the owners of the right could think that Madonna isn’t a good fit for the original author and denied permission without even talking about money