Ryan Reynolds had to meet Madonna in person to get permission to use 'Like a Prayer' in Deadpool & Wolverine

proxy

They def talk about trailer. 

Using LAP was a last minute decision and they didn't plan it. 

Too bad but I guess it's not in the movie , that's way he talking about licensing and its not in OST list. 

Imagine this song starting with end credits :suffer: .

They didn't get a license for the song (so it doesn't make it to the soundtrack), but Madonna's permission allowed them to use it for scenes in the movie. So they're even more grateful to Madonna for letting them use it in the movie. This is what I understood from watching the video above. He sound like He's talking about a particular scene in the movie, not talking about the trailer.

7 hours ago, Andreo said:

The idea of M seating through a Marvel movie to lowkey direct it would have never passed through my mind but here we are, omg

Sounds like she may have seen other Marvel movies because of her kids

5 hours ago, Magic Pussy said:

Yes, it’s a bit vague, he used “sequence” vs scene or trailer . When the director mentioned “re-recording” my guess is he had one or both actors do ADR , dialogue rerecording, which is a bit odd if it’s for just a trailer but I we’ll see soon enough.

To me it sounds like it is in the movie. They say they showed her “the sequence,” if they were showing her the trailer they would have said that. I also don’t believe they would have asked her to use it in the trailer only and that she’d have agreed to that. It’s a unique opportunity for both sides so everyone will want to get the most from it.

This is really exciting too as the song is going to get a lot of exposure. Let’s hope it gets back in the charts and we see a Kate Bush/Stranger Things type response. That will do huge things for Madonna with Gen Z.

31 minutes ago, jack5225 said:

I'm like 99% sure that Madonna and Ryan Reynolds were in a Saturday Night Live skit together like 10 years ago, not sure when but I think they know eachother on some level...

No idea. But the way he’s talking is as if he’s never met her before.

10 hours ago, proxy said:

Reynolds also revealed that, in addition to letting them use the track in the movie, Madonna — who has directed films like 2011's W.E. — gave them some feedback on how to make the scene better. "And she gave a great note," he recalled. "My God, she watched it and, I'm not kidding, just was like, ‘You need to do this, this, and this in this moment.' And damn it, if she wasn't like spot-on and right."

Really? :lol:

9 hours ago, Magic Pussy said:

I guess this answers the question if the song was only in the trailer, which I thought LAP worked well, since it’s not on the official soundtrack. They probably couldn’t come to an agreement on royalties. I can also see Madonna wanting people to stream Like A Prayer directly from her own albums or connected playlists so they are more likely to stream more of her.

Currently is easier and more beneficial for all the parties to make an official Deadpool playlist in stream services. They all make the money without having to get new agreements .

10 hours ago, MattyMads said:

Ryan Reynolds always makes me moist 🔥 

Indeed¨hes still a hot lad!!

However: i find it funny how a meeting with M is mostly intimidating to even other celebs...

The trailer sound great with LAP sample. Guess gonna watch the movie then 

1 hour ago, EgoRod said:

Currently is easier and more beneficial for all the parties to make an official Deadpool playlist in stream services. They all make the money without having to get new agreements .

Yeah I don’t think there’s even a soundtrack is there? Just a playlist. I guess if the song is in the movie they’ll add it once the movie is out?

I also notice a lot of old soundtracks are not available or omit key songs so I guess licensing for soundtracks is not so common anymore.

1 hour ago, Blue Jean said:

Yeah I don’t think there’s even a soundtrack is there? Just a playlist. I guess if the song is in the movie they’ll add it once the movie is out?

I also notice a lot of old soundtracks are not available or omit key songs so I guess licensing for soundtracks is not so common anymore.

There's a soundtrack:

SIDE A:

Only You (And You Alone) - Performed by The Platters

Bye Bye Bye - Performed by *NSYNC

Angel of The Morning - Performed by Merrilee Rush & The Turnabouts

SLASH - Performed by Stray Kids

Glamorous - Performed by Fergie

SIDE B:

Iris - Performed by The Goo Goo Dolls

The Power Of Love - Performed by Huey Lewis & The News

I'm a Ramblin' Man - Performed by Waylon Jennings

You Belong To Me - Performed by Patsy Cline (Featuring - The Jordanaires)

SIDE C:

The Lady In Red - Performed by Chris de Burgh

I'm with You - Performed by Avril Lavigne

“The Greatest Show” (From "The Greatest Showman"/Soundtrack Version) - Performed by Hugh Jackman, Keala Settle, Zac Efron, Zendaya and The Greatest Showman Ensemble

You're The One That I Want - Performed by Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta

SIDE D:

I'll Be Seeing You - Performed by Jimmy Durante

Make Me Lose Control - Performed by Eric Carmen

You're All I Need to Get By (with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra) - Performed by Aretha Franklin

Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) - Performed by Green Day

LFG (Theme from “Deadpool & Wolverine”/Edit) - Performed by Rob Simonsen

20 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

She had already licensed lap for a movie, Harmony Korine's Gunmo...she did it for a dollar because she loved his previous work on the movie Kids 

Interesting. I guess they didn’t know about that or just want to sell a certain story. I suspect we will hear this Madonna story over and over like Lady Gaga and her “there can be a hundred people in the room” thing .

I believe the issue with licensing has to do more with Warner not handing any crumbs to Disney, their biggest competition , that has been eating every other film/tv/music production slowly in the past few years. The soundtrack is all under Disney after they bought Marvel.