Ryan Reynolds had to meet Madonna in person to get permission to use 'Like a Prayer' in Deadpool & Wolverine

proxy

I love that she's so hands on, demanding meetings IN PERSON and everything. And yet some people thing these woman is not fully over everything she releases, from the infamous upcoming (hope so) reissues, to the digital singles to everything else.

She only gives permission if she likes the project, but it's not the first time, this 1999 one was quite good actually:

Love it!

"Like A Prayer" was also in the movie but not on the released soundtrack in that case:

https://www.discogs.com/es/release/2609058-Various-Music-From-The-Motion-Picture-Never-Been-Kissed

Guess she's more picky about that and demands even a higher fee for that or simply doesn't like the idea.

12 minutes ago, Prayer said:

I love that she's so hands on, demanding meetings IN PERSON and everything. And yet some people thing these woman is not fully over everything she releases, from the infamous upcoming (hope so) reissues, to the digital singles to everything else.

She only gives permission if she likes the project, but it's not the first time, this 1999 one was quite good actually:

Love it!

"Like A Prayer" was also in the movie but not on the released soundtrack in that case:

https://www.discogs.com/es/release/2609058-Various-Music-From-The-Motion-Picture-Never-Been-Kissed

Guess she's more picky about that and demands even a higher fee for that or simply doesn't like the idea.

It's such a perfect use of LAP & I'm not surprised, Drew Barrymore is huge Madonna stan :heart:

I was recently thinking how Baz Luhrmann got the permission to use both Like a Virgin and Material Girl for Moulin Rouge precisely in a time when Madonna had the "I have evolved and I'm never singing those songs again" persona. True, both are included in a sarcastic and tongue-in-cheek way so maybe that sealed the deal for her.

21 minutes ago, missberic said:

I was recently thinking how Baz Luhrmann got the permission to use both Like a Virgin and Material Girl for Moulin Rouge precisely in a time when Madonna had the "I have evolved and I'm never singing those songs again" persona. True, both are included in a sarcastic and tongue-in-cheek way so maybe that sealed the deal for her.

Was her permission needed for those two, though? She didn't write them and they didn't use her masters, but did new versions of both.

I think in that case just the writers permission was needed?

7 hours ago, I am madonna said:

They didn't get a license for the song (so it doesn't make it to the soundtrack), but Madonna's permission allowed them to use it for scenes in the movie. So they're even more grateful to Madonna for letting them use it in the movie. This is what I understood from watching the video above. He sound like He's talking about a particular scene in the movie, not talking about the trailer.

same here. 

16 hours ago, androiduser said:

did they add the female Deadpool? :kiss2:

No. she is a member of the deapool core. The artist actually based her on Blake lively like way before her and Ryan met and got married. He said he pictured Blake from her TV show as lady deadpool, so im hoping that's who it is in the movie, but it could be Ryan as a woman to. That would be awesome as well. I am stoked Madonna signed off and added her two cents, im so ready for this movie!! Got my tickets for Friday!! LFG!

11 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

This is really exciting too as the song is going to get a lot of exposure. Let’s hope it gets back in the charts and we see a Kate Bush/Stranger Things type response. That will do huge things for Madonna with Gen Z.

This is my dreammm. I’m a nerd about her streaming #s. Now that the tour’s over and Popular’s slowly, inevitably cooling her #s could use another boost. Trying not to get too excited but I’d love to see LAP be her first (solo) song to hit a billion. 😊

5 hours ago, Prayer said:

Even when it seemed all hope was lost when the soundtrack listing was announced there was part of me that hoped it’s still in the movie, she just opted against putting it on there. Give her album numbers the boost instead! Always the businesswoman.

5 hours ago, Prayer said:

Was her permission needed for those two, though? She didn't write them and they didn't use her masters, but did new versions of both.

I think in that case just the writers permission was needed?

100% Exactly. Since Moulin Rouge recorded their own version of LAV and MG only the writers’ permission was needed.

8 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Interesting. I guess they didn’t know about that or just want to sell a certain story. I suspect we will hear this Madonna story over and over like Lady Gaga and her “there can be a hundred people in the room” thing .

It's all over the trailer and in the movie as well

44 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

44 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

I think the big difference between Madonna licensing LAP for Gummo is that it was a super low budget movie even for the 90s (just over a million USD before you could make films on your iPhone)  and it was definitely an indie art house film. Harmony Korine had some buzz for writing “kids” which is still a raw film in 2024 so she probably dug that. 

2 hours ago, Magic Pussy said:

I think the big difference between Madonna licensing LAP for Gummo is that it was a super low budget movie even for the 90s (just over a million USD before you could make films on your iPhone)  and it was definitely an indie art house film. Harmony Korine had some buzz for writing “kids” which is still a raw film in 2024 so she probably dug that. 

Of course it’s totally different but it’s also a different time. At that time the movie, being a small indie film had more to gain than Madonna. Madonna was still very popular with the current generation.

In this instance with Deadpool Madonna will be the one to benefit as it’s a huge blockbuster film and will introduce one of her most loved songs to a new generation. So thank God she said yes.

7 hours ago, MikeyK said:

This is my dreammm. I’m a nerd about her streaming #s. Now that the tour’s over and Popular’s slowly, inevitably cooling her #s could use another boost. Trying not to get too excited but I’d love to see LAP be her first (solo) song to hit a billion. 😊

Well this movie is a huge deal so we’ll definitely see some impact. It sounds like it’s used in a key scene too.

3 hours ago, FrozenRain said:

I wonder if Madonna gave some input in Gummo as well.. propably the bathtub scene..

She secretly curated the whole soundtrack. That “COCKADOODLE DOOOO DOODLE DOOO” song at the beginning was her suggestion.

38 minutes ago, MikeyK said:

She secretly curated the whole soundtrack. That “COCKADOODLE DOOOO DOODLE DOOO” song at the beginning was her suggestion.

Madonna didn’t invent cockadoodle doing but she definitely brought it to the mainstream. The world has never been the same.

19 hours ago, Askeroff said:

They def talk about trailer. 

Using LAP was a last minute decision and they didn't plan it. 

Too bad but I guess it's not in the movie , that's way he talking about licensing and its not in OST list. 

Imagine this song starting with end credits :suffer: .

Of course, we all hope it's used in the film, but I do wonder if they were just talking about the trailer, the more I listen to that interview.  I guess we'll find out on the 26th for sure. :pray:

13 hours ago, Adonna said:

Of course, we all hope it's used in the film, but I do wonder if they were just talking about the trailer, the more I listen to that interview.  I guess we'll find out on the 26th for sure. :pray:

Last night on YouTube I wasn’t even looking for it but the algorithm found me. This “final trailer” released  3 days ago has really worked LAP into it with new orchestral backing and isolated choir vocals. With this much effort put into it, I  think it would just be weird if LAP is not in the film.

21 hours ago, MikeyK said:

Even when it seemed all hope was lost when the soundtrack listing was announced there was part of me that hoped it’s still in the movie, she just opted against putting it on there. Give her album numbers the boost instead! Always the businesswoman

As fans we should help streaming the song too. But I wonder wich version should be the one that we focuse on! 

5 minutes ago, Magic Pussy said:

Last night on YouTube I wasn’t even looking for it but the algorithm found me. This “final trailer” realeased 3 days ago has really worked LAP into it with new orchestral backing and isolated choir vocals. With this much effort put into it, I  think it would just be weird if LAP is not in the film.

EPIC! It works SO well.

Feels like home "Like A Prayer" is getting a huge boost after this is out, it should. I wouldn't mind this Deadpool version released even, but I guess it will be just for the trailer.