💤 Susan Thomas’ Nap Time 💤

I guess we may want to keep in mind that nothing "official" has been released about this and it's contents.  I'm betting if this is actually happening, then it's probably a Remix album much in vein that American Life Mix Show was.  I'm not going to get any hopes up that actual demos will be included.  Also, if they were going to add a demo or two on it, I'd think the demos would be of the songs related to the actual album, not songs that were scrapped because she changed the direction she was going.  My bet it will be something much like American Life Mix Show was.

8 hours ago, Anapausis said:

I thought I wasn't commenting anything about this alleged release but, damn god, that'd be the perfect opportunity to finally deliver Forbidden Love as in its shelved single version plus a reworked Don't Stop to sound "less wtf" to most (pedantic) M fans since Bedtime Stories got released.

My idol @Would You Like To Try, would these little suggestions of mine be better than ChatGPT's???

Much...Yes they would!

9 hours ago, Anapausis said:

You won't disrespect KING NICHOLAS ANTHONY IACONNA, JR. THIS WAY!!

Hidden Content

• Give reaction to this post to see the hidden content.

By the way, Matt Gunther, how I miss ya too... Even you, Matt Sterling...

I will always have you

Inside of me

Even I know you're gone

Love still carries on...

It's more like: 

I will always have you

Inside of me

Even I know lube's gone

Dick still carries on...

On 8/8/2024 at 12:58 AM, stefo said:

I completely agree about the quality of the album, really underrated (it's among my top 5 for sure), the Love won't wait omission mistake and the substitution of Don't stop.

I'm no Don't Stop fan but I think Love Won't Wait is overrated and sounds so dated, no matter the version.

On 8/7/2024 at 9:58 AM, stefo said:

I completely agree about the quality of the album, really underrated (it's among my top 5 for sure), the Love won't wait omission mistake and the substitution of Don't stop.

At the same time, let me just add that the Pattibone session imo is interesting not to integrate the album but to enjoy and learn about the creative process, the way she took some ideas and made them evolved into something completely different as she left the work with Pattibone to follow the new R&B direction she wanted to take.

My idea is that we'll probably have at most the demos of the early Secret stage "Something's coming over", wich is told to be a house, Erotica style piece, with many differences also in terms of melody, wich could fit this annyversary release including REMIXES and demos, and (if lucky, as the only ballad) the "Inside of me" early version ("I will always have you"), also told to be very different in terms of melody and sound (apparently more acoustic like You'll see and Crazy for you). What I mean is that I hardly see her releasing new songs, never heard tracks, but just remixes and a pair of good early stages tracks.

I love "Love Won't Wait" and I play her version a lot, but it just doesn't work on the actual album. That was a song when it was going a different direction at first. 

Bedtime Stories is definitely an underrated album.  While a lot of the songs are of the time, but it really did capture the essence of the 90's. She sounds so lovely on the tracks as well. It shows how well she can adapt to the current music scene.  She knew "Love Won't Wait" and the other tracks she worked on before changing direction wasn't going to fly at the time.  It certainly doesn't negate the greatness of what she was still creating beforehand, but it doesn't necessarily mean it belongs on the Bedtime Stores album or something that may be celebrating it. 

42 minutes ago, Starchild said:

I'm no Don't Stop fan but I think Love Won't Wait is overrated and sounds so dated, no matter the version.

Yeah I agree about this, it sounds dated. I love it the same, I'm honest, it has M's 80s vibe, it's a light, summerish song, kinda Cherish :cute:

13 hours ago, Adonna said:

I love "Love Won't Wait" and I play her version a lot, but it just doesn't work on the actual album. That was a song when it was going a different direction at first. 

Bedtime Stories is definitely an underrated album.  While a lot of the songs are of the time, but it really did capture the essence of the 90's. She sounds so lovely on the tracks as well. It shows how well she can adapt to the current music scene.  She knew "Love Won't Wait" and the other tracks she worked on before changing direction wasn't going to fly at the time.  It certainly doesn't negate the greatness of what she was still creating beforehand, but it doesn't necessarily mean it belongs on the Bedtime Stores album or something that may be celebrating it. 

I agree also with this, Love won't wait wouldn't have fitted the BS genre. I think that Don't Stop is most of all SUPER BORING, that's why I wrote that Love won't wait would have been a better choice. Said that, for me it remains the fact that it's a lovely song, that could have been still improved with a wise production and I would have liked to see released. But you are right, BS was not its natural home.

That damn session still is a mystery, so we can't figure out exactly what they where doing before she changed her plans, that's one of the reasons why I'm so desperate to have the chance to enjoy those 6 songs. I'm not eager the same for example about Right on time, that with Your honesty was one of the outtakes by Austin, if I'm not mistaken ... let's hope someone will finally give that joy to all of us :hearteyes:

54 minutes ago, stefo said:

That damn session still is a mystery, so we can't figure out exactly what they where doing before she changed her plans, that's one of the reasons why I'm so desperate to have the chance to enjoy those 6 songs. I'm not eager the same for example about Right on time, that with Your honesty was one of the outtakes by Austin, if I'm not mistaken ... let's hope someone will finally give that joy to all of us :hearteyes:

My guess is that she was looking to soften her image after Erotica.  She knew if she latched on to what was popualr at the time it would be a big plus. It may have lost her some brownie points for some fans, but then again if you look at the album, it's not like she played it completely safe.  She still recorded "Human Nature".  She even released it at a time she was negotiating EVITA.  It's just bad ass, that after finally negotiating the deal for the Evita role, she still released "Human Nature".  While the song was huge on radio, MTV played it a lot.  I imagine if it was a bit more radio friendly, it would have gotten radio play more.  Though a song like that isn't supposed to be "friendly".   To me, she managed to haver her cake and eat it as well.  After "Human Nature", she concentrated on softening her image even more, and the birth of Lourdes just further helped her. 

It just proves Madonna is indestructible! 

24 minutes ago, Adonna said:

My guess is that she was looking to soften her image after Erotica.  She knew if she latched on to what was popualr at the time it would be a big plus. It may have lost her some brownie points for some fans, but then again if you look at the album, it's not like she played it completely safe.  She still recorded "Human Nature".  She even released it at a time she was negotiating EVITA.  It's just bad ass, that after finally negotiating the deal for the Evita role, she still released "Human Nature".  While the song was huge on radio, MTV played it a lot.  I imagine if it was a bit more radio friendly, it would have gotten radio play more.  Though a song like that isn't supposed to be "friendly".   To me, she managed to haver her cake and eat it as well.  After "Human Nature", she concentrated on softening her image even more, and the birth of Lourdes just further helped her. 

It just proves Madonna is indestructible! 

Human Nature remains one of my favourite tracks and videos. And I love the DWT performance on the mechanical bull. 

BS as a while is an album that I came to appreciate much later on. For years I found it “boring” aside from the singles, and was never a fan of RnB. But later in life I developed an appreciation for RnB and subsequently reevaluated BS. As such I’m really eager for this release. I’m hoping there are some local retailers where I live in Australia that will be participating in RSD Black Friday this year (as Black Friday sales are typically American based in my experience). 

8 minutes ago, Veronica-Electronica said:

Human Nature remains one of my favourite tracks and videos. And I love the DWT performance on the mechanical bull. 

BS as a while is an album that I came to appreciate much later on. For years I found it “boring” aside from the singles, and was never a fan of RnB. But later in life I developed an appreciation for RnB and subsequently reevaluated BS. As such I’m really eager for this release. I’m hoping there are some local retailers where I live in Australia that will be participating in RSD Black Friday this year (as Black Friday sales are typically American based in my experience). 

I don't believe I was so taken aback by this album when it was first released, but I still enjoyed it.  I think her vocals on this are the best she's ever sounded. It's just a lovely album. I would agree with most who think this album sounds dated, but I think the same for LAV and TRUE BLUE, but I still enjoy the songs and albums very much.  Still, she has songs from those album that resonate with the public today.

I really believe we're on the cusps of a huge renaissance of Madonna's career.  I think it's been building for some time. I think her illness in 2023 only helped propel it.  She's really not done anything to really greatly upset the general public and many are really re-visiting her contribution to music and pop culture. She and her team are slowly capitalizing on this and there will be a moment when it will really shine for her.  It really helps when she has these social media viral moments and now this Marvel Movie involvement.  People are eating it up and it is only helping her brand and catalog. :party:

8 minutes ago, steady75 said:

Love Won’t Wait sounds like an S Club 7 album track. It’s so unMadonna and has no place on Bedtime Stories. Stylistically or thematically. It’s a real outlier. I think it was her attempt at a Janet Jackson Whoops Now carefree bouncy throw back track which was popular around that time.

Loved that Janet song :hearteyes: and the video too

What's with the "Love Won't Wait" bashing? OMG! (The S Club 7 comparison killed me, cause it's kinda true xd)

I've always loved it, even since Gary Barlow released it and I didn't even know it was a Madonna track.

Yes, it would be completely out of place on "Bedtime Stories" and doesn't belong there but it's such a HER track, those type of innocent, romantic, little sad and desperate too, love songs she wrote with Patrick Leonard up until 1994. It's a very Madonna-Leonard romantic type of song.

39 minutes ago, steady75 said:

I think that kind of song just felt a bit too juvenile for her in 94. It’s a well written song and a good pop song that got to number one. But she made the wrong call she’d moved past it by then. 

Exactly what happened to Possessive Love. Madonna once used to have THEE EAR.

1 hour ago, Nicmag said:

The meltdowns when all the tracks from this release, except Your Honesty, will be unreleased remixes LOL.

Well, it doesn't fit on the Bedtime Stories album anymore than "Love Won't Wait".  I love both songs, but they both do not fit the theme and flow of the album. Then again, I do feel the title track sticks out like a sore thumb on the album. Though, Sanctuary sorta prepares you for that direction, but then the album gets another jolt of disconnection with Take A Bow. Still, I wouldn't have it any other way.  It's a beautiful album nevertheless. :luv:

16 hours ago, Veronica-Electronica said:

Australian RSD stores participate in Black Friday RSD so you won't have any issues 

23 minutes ago, GregVsMatt said:

Australian RSD stores participate in Black Friday RSD so you won't have any issues 

Yeah, American Life Mixshow is still pretty accessible, so I imagine this will be easily obtainable as well even long after RSD.  :)

While we wait, I found the old Bruce Baron interview/notes:

1994 BRING IT Registered at Library Of Congress, demo cassette on file PAU-1-889-252 Written by Madonna, Pettibone. Bruce Baron recently listened to this track at the Washington DC Library Of Congress, and he writes: This is a completely unreleased song from the discarded Shep Pettibone productions for what became the "Bedtime Stories" album. It was submitted on the same tape as "Love Won't Wait", "Somethings Coming Over Me", and "I Will Always Have You" This song did not evolve into anything found on the released album. It's NOT very catchy, and needs more development. The lyrics are strings of cliche phrases about an obsessed person. A main lyric reads; "I know you're love is bad for me, but I won't give up until you bring it to me" The musical arrangement sounds very similar to what was done on "Bye Bye Baby" a few years before on "Erotica". There are also some breathing noises. The recording of this song on file at the copyright office has some damage on this track. I don't know if it's on the copy itself or the original master from which it came. We could easily live without it, since it is not very good. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------ --
1994 I WILL AWAYS HAVE YOU Early Madonna and Shep Pettibone production of what later became "Inside Of Me". Registered at Library Of Congress cassette on file PAU-1-889-251. This is probably the best of the abandoned Shep Pettibone co-productions from the "Bedtime Stories" album. This song later evolved into "Inside Of Me" which was used on the album. Once again Shep does not get credit on the album, but he does in the Warner-Chappell Publishing Co database. This early version is rather different from the version that we know of as "Inside Of Me". In the released version Madonna sings against a R&B downbeat in a soft, quiet lullaby type voice that gives the song a tender quality. On the demo the song is performed like a mid-tempo power ballad in the style of "Crazy For You", and "You'll See" using a strong clear vocal. I think that it is better than "I'll Remember" done with Pat Leonard a few years before. With a little polishing "I Will Always Have You" could have easily been an American top 5 hit single. The melody line is substantially different from "Inside Of Me", but there are often similarities. Many of the same lyrics are switched around. The words "inside of me" are hardly used, and Madonna adds "like an angel" after the part where she sings "standing over me" in a verse found in the released version. The released song's theme is all about Madonna cherishing the memory of a loved one, but in this demo she also wants the object of the song to "remember me". 

During my listen at the LOC copyright office I observed a sound during the middle break that I don't think that I have heard in any Madonna song - a flute-like instrument solo. 
There is also a finger snap-like sound used throughout the mid-tempo ballad similar to the one used in "Rescue Me", but more subtle. I also need to stress the difference in the melody and arrangement of the chorus. The words "inside of me" are not really a part of it. The main frame is designed around "I Will Always Have You" and is definitely a proper song title for this original demo. The verse lyrics of "I Will Always Have You" are more similar to the released version of "Inside Of Me." I do recall the lyric about being in "the public eye" in both versions. Lets now bow our heads and pray for it's use as a maxi-single bonus track at some point in the future.

1994 SOMETHINGS COMING OVER ME Early version of "Secret" started with Shep Pettibone, later finshed with Dave Hall. Confirmed by Library Of Congress. Cassette on file PAU-1-889-253. Bruce Baron notes that this is not a typo of a song title !! This is the original version of what we now call "Secret". It is the original Madonna/Pettibone demo before she dumped him from the "Bedtime Stories" album. Forget the strum guitar, the semi-R&B arrangement and Madonna humming the hook, and the lyric "my baby's got a secret". They do not exist in this early version. This is a Pettibone co-production and it features a driving drum and bassline, but it is rather generic and typical like a Cathy Dennis track. The released version of "Secret" seems slow and boring compared this early demo of which I enjoyed a great deal. Shep would be justified for being a little pissed of for not being in the album credits for this song. It's about a 50% re-write of the released version (it's actually the other way around). Parts of the verse lyrics and verse melody are the same or similar. The chorus melody and arrangement are totally different: "Somethings Coming Over Me(Over Me)(Over Me)(Over Me)" The bridge is the part that doesn't really work. It's a continuation of the "Erotica" theme. The music breaks and Madonna wails into sexual moaning like Donna Sommer's "Love To Love You Baby". Then Madonna speaks "I see your love coming down, let it wash all over me" Obviously we know what she is talking about? Then the music starts back up into the main hook as the climax. Her vocal is clear and strong. It could easily be used on a vault collection as an item of interest with it's original demo music intact if the parties involved could agree in the future. According to the Warner Chappell database, Shep does get money as a co-author for the released version of "Secret". He just does not appear in the album credits other than the "Thank you for understanding".

I could not find the notes on the others - the way Bruce describes, IWHY and SCOM- both sound like great opportunities!  Bring It - maybe not.