Madonna fans: Did Madonna have the best superbowl half time show ever?

Tudors

Season 3 What GIF by The Lonely Island

Shakira???

Katy Perry???

Dated??? I don’t know her!!!

Beyonce twirling hair and stomping while waving fastly???

Six months ago everyone was crying: why does she have a Michael Jackson tribute and now he has a better halftime show???

TRULY what’s with this revisionist mentality???

Frustrated Fran Healy GIF by Travis

Madonna is and always be #1 ICONIC PEOPLE ICONIC!!! 

No. This show is super cool itself but still soooo above M's standards. I Will never forgive her for putting fucking LMFAO and Nicki Minaj but not Hung Up and another classic. Did she really think Im sexy and i know It and GAUL ate? Gaga and Katy are my favorite shows.

No. for her standards, you know at that time she can do better. the first act was good but the 2nd was meh with the slacklining and the awkward shuffling with one of the members from LMFAO holding her leg up. 

Seriously WTF was happening here?

image.png.5797b1e507e51834415f20e1813b3d96.png

The final act was good. 

The whole performance was meant for TV and it did set a standard. if you were at the arena, the whole set up was VERY underwhelming because the stage was small. later acts did better (specifically Katy Perry), as her team studied Madonna's performance and definitely utilized the same mechanics and used the ENTIRE stage for a choreographed show. 

10 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Everything that followed her is not as good. The last decent one was imo Gaga. It’s gotten worse and cheaper since then. Rihanna was particularly bad. I didn’t even bother watching Usher.

Part of it is imo the fact that they will pretty much let anyone with a few hits do it now. It used to be a slot for icons only.

Rihanna’s reminded me of a super mario level

4 hours ago, nito84bcn said:

Everyone here talking about how long was Give me all your luvin', but Like a prayer for me is worst. It looked like a Glee theatre show, and it was endless. 

But anyway, we see this with eyes from 2024, she set a standard as always and I was obsessed with the show, I think I watched it 6 million times. 

Yes Give me was great on the show!

No. It was good, don’t get me wrong, but there were amazing ones back in the 90s like Michael Jackson and even Diana in the helicopter. Madonna with a million guest stars fails in comparison. Again, she did a good job though. The Super Bowl Halftime shows are a bit boring IMO these days. Madonna and Gaga and maybe even a bit of Katy Perry’s were good. There just aren’t that many great stage performers anymore. They’re also repeating themselves. It’s like getting Billy Crystal or Jimmy Kimmel to host an awards show for the 7 billionth time. Rihanna’s was probably the most boring. I don’t know what that mess was supposed to be. And then they get Usher? Where’s he been hiding for 20 years? I guess a Cher Super Bowl Halftime show could be fun. Overall, the show just doesn’t have the same pull anymore. I will say that getting the locals to take part and be all in sync is pretty impressive. 

The only reason Madonna did it was because she wasn’t going to promote MDNA that much. The Super Bowl was it and she knew it would hit the most people. She did some other stupid thing with Jimmy Fallon online and that was it. She even said that that was all the promotion she was doing. It was on to the tour. Guy Oseary probably convinced her to do that show so she could move on - a compromise. Probably also to make Live Nation happy. She spent most of her time promoting W.E. (and Lady Gaga) the year before. 

It was incredible, a total triumph and was a very clear sea change in making the show a big pop extravaganza after years of rock acts (and the terrible Black Eyed Peas one the year before). It was basically the template for most Super Bowl shows after until Roc Nation took over.

• 4 weeks later...

It was a huge moment for her - was it the best half time show ever, probably not. But it was good,  it was set up as others have said for TV and to hook in with who was trendy at the time - especially GMAYL as the first single for MDNA. The performance + paid airplay at least gave her a top 20 in the US in the 2010's.

I'll be honest, yes she did why? Because pre M I didn't really care about this thing at all, to the point of not knowing of its existence. 😆😅  now after M show I started to watch it year after year and none of the headliners did something interesting... yes maybe JLO / SHAKIRA was great but the rest just boring, including Gaga / B / Katy and the lame one ass movement RiRii. Also the shows before M were soooo weak including MJ. 

On 8/14/2024 at 6:27 PM, drivebitch said:

They already have. Come on, Cleopatra? It’s been done. That was probably the most uninventive opening I’ve ever seen. Such a cliche. 

It wasn't just random imagery, she specifically used Cleopatra entering enemy territory (hence the spectacular entrance, a show of force and demand for respect). Madonna, the Queen of Pop, entering the Super Bowl, a traditionally masculine and 'authentic' space and where the half-time show had overwhelmingly been dominated by rock acts, and then launching into Vogue. It was genius.