How Important Are Madonna’s Lyrics to Non-English Speakers?

Aiwa08

I'd like to start a discussion for those fans whose first language isn’t English (of course, people who are native English speakers are invited to debate). When talking about Madonna’s songs, the subject of lyrics often comes up—whether one song has more mature lyrics, or another is more superficial, for example.

Personally, I can read English well, but I’ve never left my country, so I struggle to fully understand spoken English unless I have subtitles or the song lyrics in front of me. I mention this because, for a long time (especially before I learned English), I enjoyed Madonna’s songs more for the melody and the music, rather than the meaning of the lyrics, which felt secondary. However, I’ve noticed that for people who are fluent in English, the lyrics play a significant role in how much they enjoy the song.

So, I’d like to ask those whose native language isn’t English: when you listen to a Madonna song, how important are the lyrics to you? I like knowing what the song is about, but for me, the melody and the rhythm of Madonna’s voice often matter more than the lyrics when I want to enjoy her music. Of course, this happens to me with all non-Spanish songs.

P.S.: I’m not saying the lyrics aren’t important, but sometimes, due to the language barrier, they become secondary. I always make an effort to understand Madonna’s songs by reading the lyrics (as I mentioned, I can understand written English almost without a problem).

This reminds me of a time when my younger German self was listening to 'Selfish' by Britney Spears, and my mother enjoyed it too. She would ask me, 'What does selfish mean?' and I just guessed, 'Maybe it means selling herself like a fish.' We were both like... okay, well wtf...

I became a fan in 2005, and back then, I didn’t speak any English. I enjoyed the melody and the vibe without understanding the words. Later on, I started paying more attention to the lyrics, just like you, because it helps to connect with less poppy, melodic songs (anything from 'American Life'). But that also means that songs I used to enjoy for their melody aren’t as good for me anymore or give me cringe once I focus on the lyrics 

Talking: ""moths to a flame"-overload

" If you do your homework, baby I will give you - more, when you do your homework - get up on the dancefloor"

"the thing that hurt the most, was that I wasn't lost"

"hope it gives me birth each new, that dope i dont smoke its true"

@Drownedboy Yes, many of us learned English thanks to her music. Knowing the lyrics can definitely change how you feel about a song, especially if the lyrics are good. However, if the lyrics aren’t particularly special, they don’t spoil the song for me. I still enjoy the melody and Madonna’s singing.

Yes totally, for example, I don´t search I find: it´s the mood, it´s her voice, then for sure the lyrics will have many layers, although sometimes she is repeating the same stuff on many songs. But for example, when I listen The power of goodbye or American Life or many others, lyrics are very very important to me, but they are easy to understand.

Her emotional delivery has always been her main vocal talent, and that's what made her connect with millions of non-English speakers around the world, in my opinion.

Maybe you didn't understand what she was saying, but you got her: the vibe, the emotion.

She was (and still is) great at expressing different kinds of emotions with her voice.

6 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Her emotional delivery has always been her main vocal talent, and that's what made her connect with millions of non-English speakers around the world, in my opinion.

Maybe you didn't understand what she was saying, but you got her: the vibe, the emotion.

She was (and still is) great at expressing different kinds of emotions with her voice.

I had never thought of it before, but now that you mention it, you are absolutely right.

I started listening to Madonna at 13 when I had limited (way more limited than now) English knowledge, just the basics from my elementary school. That very same year the first thing I got me was a book with her lyrics both in English and Spanish and because it was fundamental to me to be able to understand what she was saying I ended up learning the rest of the language from hearing her, in songs, interviews, movies, etc. The need to understand her drew me to learn English by myself along with becoming a fan, so I'd say it played a big part in my case.

Absolutely important I question, analyze, ask myself why she’s saying what she’s saying in her songs  

but I’m rather oblivious to some comments about terrible lyrics complaints from English speakers as we aren’t that picky as a native speaker 

I also think that even though some of us speak well and know her songs by heart there’s a level of immediate connection we will never reach. 

As an example when she sang Vera which was wonderfully written and delivered there was a level of connection I haven’t reached before. 

Cool topic!

I'm not a native speaker either, so I always have to read the lyrics while checking out new songs. Not just Madonna's, but all music in general.

In the past, I used to read the lyrics in CD booklets while listening to the songs to get a better feel for the albums. But sometimes there are metaphors that I may not get at first, so I usually just focus on the melody and the emotions that the music brings out.

3 hours ago, LongIslandTea said:

Have penis lied in your own hand
It took me much too long to understand :drama:

Lyrics is important! :sad:

I know it. I know it. This answer looks like a joke, but it happens in reality with non-English speakers. I've always sung in you'll see:

'I have truth on my side
You only have the shit
You'll see, somehow, someday
.'

Or certain misunderstandings in the meaning of the song like the (in)famous 'Drunk by six (men)' in Bad Girl.

The three acts that taught me English were Twisted Sister, Dolly Parton and Madonna.

They were the ones I listened to as a child and since I wanted to know what they were singing about, I asked around and used my mother's English dictionary alot. :)

It was the music and their voices that attracted me to their music, long before I understood what they were singing abot. It's still that way with Mylene Farmer, for example. She's a superstar in France, and absolutely amazing, but I don't understand her lyrics. 
Fortunately, I understand art.

Later when my English was much better, lyrics became more and more important. Björk caught my attention, partly because her lyrics were so unusual.

I consider myself pretty fluid in English these days. My grammer is all over the place, but I have no problems holding a conversation in English.

My first language is Swedish.

2 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

I know it. I know it. This answer looks like a joke, but it happens in reality with non-English speakers. I've always sung in you'll see:

'I have truth on my side
You only have the shit
You'll see, somehow, someday
.'

Or certain misunderstandings in the meaning of the song like the (in)famous 'Drunk by six (men)' in Bad Girl.

@Aiwa08 so do you live in a seseo area??? I mean, Spanish language doesn't distinguish /s/ as in deceit from /ś/ as it would sound closer to /š/ as in shit (actually Basque recognize all 3 sounds as they write for /s/, s for /ś/ and for /š/ - other languages, such as Polish, do distinguish these 3 too - Polish writes s for /s/, ś for /ś/ and sz for /š/).

Btw /s/ and /ś/ are alophones to languages like Japanese and Korean. The sh in Japanese is not the same sh in English but rather the Spanish from ceceo areas - same as in Korean and Chinese.

19 minutes ago, Anapausis said:

@Aiwa08 so do you live in a seseo area??? I mean, Spanish language doesn't distinguish /s/ as in deceit from /ś/ as it would sound closer to /š/ as in shit (actually Basque recognize all 3 sounds as they write for /s/, s for /ś/ and for /š/ - other languages, such as Polish, do distinguish these 3 too - Polish writes s for /s/, ś for /ś/ and sz for /š/).

Btw /s/ and /ś/ are alophones to languages like Japanese and Korean. The sh in Japanese is not the same sh in English but rather the Spanish from ceceo areas - same as in Korean and Chinese.

No, I live almost in the center of Spain, so my native language is Castilian/European Spanish, without seseo nor ceceo. However, as I mentioned, most of my exposure to English is through written material (except for films and TV series, where I rely on subtitles). I haven’t trained my ear to understand spoken, colloquial English 100%

12 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

No, I live almost in the center of Spain, so my native language is Castilian/European Spanish. However, as I mentioned, most of my exposure to English is through written material (except for films and TV series, where I rely on subtitles). I haven’t trained my ear to understand spoken, colloquial English.

You'd be surprised if I told you until the XVI century Spanish used to have the /š/ sound to words like lexos, baxar, dexar (now lejos, bajar, dejar). This is pretty obvious from Arabic loanwoards like jarabe and jaque (until the XVI century written xarabe and xaque and pronounced close to their Portuguese cognates xarope and xeque). Btw some loanwords from other languages denounce it, as jefe from French chef, originally written xefe, just like in Galician. Galician language has conserved this sound alongside with /č/, that both Spanish and Galician write ch, while almost entire area where Portuguese is spoken has reduced /č/ to /š/.

Until the XVI century, Portuguese and Spanish shared virtually almost all same consonants. It was precisely when the Castilla Crown adopted the way people from Toledo spoke Spanish (most due to Basque/Euskera influence) that came the Spanish and Z that this language shares to Greek - while at same time Portuguese relaxed some hard consonants called affricates - the rest is history.