Why haven't you read 'Life With My Sister Madonna' yet?

To those who have yet to read this book by her brother, Christopher, I'm curious as to what your reasoning is?

I'm currently rereading it and remain wowed by all the interesting tidbits and descriptive language used throughout.

Perhaps some of her more staunch fans feel it was a betrayal, and that reading it would be supporting a betrayer?

In reality, it doesn't tell us anything about M's character that the average fan wouldn't already have a sense of.

In my opinion, it is essential fan reading and helps to paint an even more vivid picture of her incredible story.

A note that the audiobook is an abridged version of the book, both of which you can find online for free.

I read it and enjoyed it. I believe a lot of what Chris said but of course there's always 2 sides to every story and we haven't heard Madonna's.

The book wasn't really that aggressive imo, though it could certainly be argued it was a betrayal.

My guess is he regrets it since he could be on a private beach right now celebrating her birthday instead of doing god knows what in L.A. lol

He sounded bitter when he wrote it.  While I'm sure his sister isn't the easiest person in the world to deal with it seemed uncool for the most part for him to talk that way about her.  And spill some of her secrets/dirty laundry.

That being said I've listened to a Howard Stern interview Chris did around the time the book came out.  I thought he would come across a lot worse in attacking his sister but he really didn't.  

The one thing I would agree with him is the whole I came to NYC with just $35 in my pocket was a bit fabricated.  

I read the book a long time ago, and although most of it has faded from my memory, I don’t recall it speaking negatively about Madonna or revealing anything about her character that we didn’t already know. In fact, it portrayed her with a lot of admiration, and the real criticism was aimed at people like Sean or Guy, for example, or described how they gradually drifted apart and stopped talking due to outside influences.

I actually found it to be a pretty interesting read, but I barely remember the book now, so my impression of it might not be entirely accurate. I do remember thinking that he seemed like her number one fan, very hurt by their increasingly evident separation. I got the impression that he wrote the book desperately as a way to get his sister's attention, but she clearly chose to ignore it.

56 minutes ago, Starchild said:

To those who have yet to read this book by her brother, Christopher, I'm curious as to what your reasoning is?

I'm currently rereading it and remain wowed by all the interesting tidbits and descriptive language used throughout.

Perhaps some of her more staunch fans feel it was a betrayal, and that reading it would be supporting a betrayer?

In reality, it doesn't tell us anything about M's character that the average fan wouldn't already have a sense of.

In my opinion, it is essential fan reading and helps to paint an even more vivid picture of her incredible story.

A note that the audiobook is an abridged version of the book, both of which you can find online for free.

I understand what you mean. As far as Madonna biographies, I’ve only read his book and “a rebel life” since the author was more known for factual albeit  dry biographies than salacious sh#t we’ve already read elsewhere ( I actually had fun filling in the blanks of her book w the tabloid details stuck in my head).  IMO Chris was a dick to write it BUT his version of events is the closest anyone is going to get to understanding her. His lens as a brother/ backup dancer/ collaborator/ confidant/ decorator/ bitter exiled sibling is unmatched no matter how anyone feels about him.

Because I have no interest in it. I've never read a book about Madonna and I doubt I'll ever do so, mostly because I feel like I know enough about her already and I just don't have the time or patience. Also I suspect that some of the things in said book are either exaggerations or blatant lies, so yeah. :shade2:

I remember going on a theatre contract in summer of 2009, in a town 3 hours away from home staying in an actors house with 6 other guys. I remember not being able to really connect with them and read the book out on the patio alone. The juiciest tea before tea was a thing. I was furious with Christopher LOL.

Oh Gosh. It’s a MUST read imo. As above, it’s only his perspective. The cocaine tales 😂 oh Courtney and Demi lol speaking of Courtney, I can’t wait for her book that she said 15 years ago she was releasing. Same with Lil Kim. 

Back on topic, it was a good read. Finished it quite fast. 

Oh those of us who have siblings can relate 😅😅😅

I'm not famous and I can tell you if one of my siblings wrote a book about me it would be that demented and incredibly biased. Do I believe it? Yes. Do I think it's accurate? No. Siblings always have a way of being a narc twisting words to have a different meaning.

He actually praised her more than speaking negatively about her. And the things that were negative was how she was a complete bitch to work with (which we knew), her sudden change after meeting Guy Ritchie, and her obsession with Kabbalah and how she used it was a weapon towards her loved ones. 

I personally loved all the behind the scenes drama. It was quite the ride! 

While the gossip was interesting for us as fans, I found the whole thing a little bit depressing, to be honest. And I felt sad for him, thinking "if this is the worst stuff you can share about your sister..." 

I mean, that she's sweaty and mean. And that she married an asshole.

Tell us something we don't know already!

I think it was a fascinating read - let’s be honest M is never going to to write a memoir at this stage - she is too focused on the contrived bullshit movie to care and we all know that’s going to be a one-sided disaster and she will never show herself in a bad light - her ego and sycophants won’t permit that - I liked reading the behind the scenes stuff on tours the most in his book 

Just now, wtg1987 said:

I think it was a fascinating read - let’s be honest M is never going to to write a memoir at this stage - she is too focused on the contrived bullshit movie to care and we all know that’s going to be a one-sided disaster and she will never show herself in a bad light - her ego and sycophants won’t permit that - I liked reading the behind the scenes stuff on tours the most in his book 

Zig you just took the words from my mouth.

I'm a sinner, I'm a sinner

Praise the Lord, I like that way!!!

2 hours ago, Prayer said:

While the gossip was interesting for us as fans, I found the whole thing a little bit depressing, to be honest. And I felt sad for him, thinking "if this is the worst stuff you can share about your sister..." 

I mean, that she's sweaty and mean. And that she married an asshole.

Tell us something we don't know already!

But from what I remember, he doesn’t try to make Madonna look bad. Instead, he describes her as a professional who was a perfectionist and a bit of a bitch about it. The rest of the book is about how amazing Madonna is. He mainly uses the book to tear apart everything and everyone that distanced him from her (Sean, Guy, etc , etc). You can sense his sadness as he finds himself becoming more and more distant from her.

3 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

But from what I remember, he doesn’t try to make Madonna look bad. Instead, he describes her as a professional who was a perfectionist and a bit of a bitch about it. The rest of the book is about how amazing Madonna is. He mainly uses the book to tear apart everything and everyone that distanced him from her (Sean, Guy, etc , etc). You can sense his sadness as he finds himself becoming more and more distant from her.

Yes that's why I found it sad and felt bad for him... I can imagine the publisher trying to get dirt from him and literally all the "bad" things he said... were not really that bad.

He came across way worse than her in the book - probably without even realizing.