20th Anniversary of Re-Invention Tour!

Adonna

Favorite Act from Re-Invention Tour?   

105 members voted

1. 1. Favorite Act from Re-invention Tour?

• Act 1: Marie Antoinette
    • Act 2: Military
    • Act 3: Circus
    • Act 4: Acoustic
    • Act 5: Scottish-Tribal

I would like to have a Blu-ray release for the 20th anniversary of the Re-Invention World Tour. It should include the full tour film along with bonus features such as the iconic backdrop videos that were used during the tour.

The artwork should showcase the iconic headstand that Madonna performed in the opening:

0ifpds7.jpg

4 hours ago, Adonna said:

I think you're confusing the time.  Yes, IGTYAS came out right about the same time as Confessions On A Dance Floor, but there were a year or two in between it all.  It's just her projects between those times were very quick.  Which is weird to think since many call albums like MDNA rushed?  Especially knowing LAP album was produced very quickly when she had multiple projects going on and on the horizon as well as a high profiled divorce happehing.

She wrote I Love NY and Devil Wouldn't Recognize You while on tour. The second song was actually going to be performed (on the Circus Act I believe, maybe instead of Deeper). Of couse it was the version before Justin and Timbaland. 

5 hours ago, BoyToyMark said:

One day, I hope we get the full Paris recording; if it exists.

I was in Paris for the shows and I clearly remeber the full show was NOT filmed. Same happned with the Paris Blond Ambition according to Alek. Tha's why for Re-Invetion Lisbon was filmed and for Blond Ambition Nice (and Barcelona and of course the japanese show, but that's another story).  What I really want (aside from the aborted official video) is the full audio. I love the I'm Going To Tell You cd but no Frozen, Crazy for You etc? 

There is a special place in my heart for this tour since it has been the very first tour I saw from her after becoming a fan in 2000 (when Music album was released). And I know I am gonna be opening old wounds here, but it is an absolute shame we don't have this tour even properly released until this date (no, I don't count I'm Going to Tell You a Secret documentary). It's been 20 years, Madonna!

The way her legacy regarding tours (no Blond Ambition, no Re-Invention) and even albums (ignored anniversaries) is treated is truly mind-boggling to me as a fan who has been adoring her for 24 years now. And we are not talking about some random pop star, but about Queen of Pop for god's sake. 

I want to buy 3 copies of HD remastered Bluray of Re-Invention tour immediately! 

4 hours ago, Veronica-Electronica said:

@Drownedboy mentioned in the Angela Becker thread in the last couple of days that Confessions is probably her most Kabbalah influenced album, even though most would argue that is ROL.

I also noticed when rewatching IGTTYAS yesterday that near the end when she is in Israel, she is comparing and contrasting Catholicism and Judaism, and she states that Rosh Hashanah (specifically the process of looking back at your whole year and where you fucked up and hurt people) is “the real version of Confession”. 

Obviously Madonna has used Catholic language and imagery throughout her career, but considering the timing (IGTTYAS coming out just seven months after the release of Confessions, she must have been working on both simultaneously a while) and in context with the points above, I really could see for the first time the genesis of these ideas coming at the same point in time instead of totally separate projects.

Each of her eras usually feel so distinctly different from what has come before and what eventually comes after that it feels easy to consider them little capsules, separate from influence on each other. But obviously that is not the reality, and she would be in a constant state of development, little by little inching towards the next incarnation. 

Thank you! That was my opinión, at lesst. On reinvention, i love that tour and i think she was at her peak physically, vocally, all amazing. 2006 was amazing too of course. But yes, very kaballah oriented!

3 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Depends who you ask. It was promoted as a greatest hits but a lot of fans argue that it’s not .

To me it is and it isn’t. Compared with Drowned World you can say it’s a greatest hits tour, but compared with the tours before and even after it’s not. People forget for DWT she had three albums she never toured and that especially Ray Of Light and Music were so huge that most of the singles were actually hits and same goes for some album tracks. 

Love the opening of this show it’s so creepy , mysterious and visually stunning - I and Stuart’s mix with that base on the beast within is sublime - I wish we had a better pro shot show than the Lisbon footage but at least we got something in full - of course everyone knows i adore the Bedtime story interlude too - I don’t think M will ever revisit this though and give us the full Paris show ( if it even exists ) guess it will disintegrate like holes of a full BA tour release 🥹😂😜

1 hour ago, cosmic_system said:

To me it is and it isn’t. Compared with Drowned World you can say it’s a greatest hits tour, but compared with the tours before and even after it’s not. People forget for DWT she had three albums she never toured and that especially Ray Of Light and Music were so huge that most of the singles were actually hits and same goes for some album tracks. 

She was only going to do those tracks anyway. She had said as early as 97/98 she didnt even wanna do Vogue anymore. Had she toured in 99/00 like planned we still definitely wouldn't have gotten any old hits.

It was an American Life Tour in disguise (the album's themes are front and center through out the show, let's face it) but they used her hits (hence the name of the tour) to sell the show. Very clever if you ask me.
2004-re-invention-tour-posters-9.jpg
31-march-2004-reinvention-tour-3.jpg
31-march-2004-reinvention-tour-2.jpg?w=550&h=721

Also, Re-Invention was the best hair she had on tour, it looked great from start to finish, usually the last act her hair is all messed up. 

I think the reason they used her hits to sell it and kind of promote it as a hits tour is because of the response to Drowned World. I love that tour but a lot of people were disappointed by the setlist and so with the mixed response to American Life they had to make it clear she wasn’t going down that route again.

But it wasn’t technically a GH tour. She did 5 songs from the new album.

Why people wants the Paris show when the Lisbon show (not the one that leaked, the one with the Die Another Day and Burning Up videos I posted) is probably somewhere? Also they used some stuff from Lisbon on Secret too (especially in Vogue when they changed the color of the corset since it was the gold one in Lisbon and purple in Paris) so clearly the Paris stuff wasn’t good enough. 

3 hours ago, Alpha said:

She was only going to do those tracks anyway. She had said as early as 97/98 she didnt even wanna do Vogue anymore. Had she toured in 99/00 like planned we still definitely wouldn't have gotten any old hits.

Well yes but still she had enough material in 2001 for a show without the “hits”. Also she says a lot of things, like not doing ever again Material Girl and Like A Virgin and look how many times she did those two after 98 (Material Girl twice, LAV four times if you count the AL promo tour) 

10 hours ago, Mmmhum said:

Excuse me for my stupid question...

but is the Re-invention Tour considered a greatest hits tour like the Celebration Tour  ? It feels like one looking at the setlist... ? Or did she tour to promote American Life ?

Thank you for your answers ! :) 

I think for many that's how they see the tour.  I don't think Madonna saw it as that way though.  But she knew with the reception of American Life, she had to creatively bill it as something more than just a tour supporting American Life. A "Re-invention" of sorts.  Still, she included 6 songs from American Life. And that's not including the excerpt of "Intervention" in "Mother and Father".  Also, she reprised "American Life" at the end of "Papa Don't Preach".  So she strongly represented the album on this tour and that's more than half the album.

I think what makes this tour stand out, much like a Greatest Hits, it's the first tour in years she performed some songs she hadn't performed in a long while.  Then there were just some staple classic songs that were included, such as Like A Prayer, Vogue, Holiday, Material Girl and Into the Groove.  Throw in other classics like Express Yourself, Papa Don't preach and Crazy For you (which the latter hadn't been performed since Virgin Tour), it really felt like a Greatest Hits. Then you have some newer songs from more recent albums of the time such as Frozen, Music and Don't Tell Me which now looking back makes the tour seem more and more like a Greatest Hits than not. The tour represented pretty much much of her music career as well as a nod to her biggest film success to date, Evita.  

I would be happy to have the full audio of this tour in the same quality posted on IGTTYAS, but it's been 20 years and I think this will never happen.

I had a little hope when IGTTYAS disappeared from all digital platforms.

By the way, why did they remove it? Have they forgotten? However I would say go to Guy Oseary's IG and everyone comment with #justiceforreinventiontour

1 minute ago, Manuel X said:

I would be happy to have the full audio of this tour in the same quality posted on IGTTYAS, but it's been 20 years and I think this will never happen.

I had a little hope when IGTTYAS disappeared from all digital platforms.

By the way, why did they remove it? Have they forgotten? However I would say go to Guy Oseary's IG and everyone comment with #justiceforreinventiontour

He is VERY aware that the fans want this. It's just possible, Madonna wasn't happy with what was filmed?  But yeah, I'm curious why IGTTYAS has been pulled. :thinker:

3 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

But it wasn’t technically a GH tour. She did 5 songs from the new album.

24 songs in total:

From the 80s: Holiday, Burning Up, Material Girl, Crazy for You, Into the Groove, Papa Don't Preach, Like A Prayer, and Express Yourself

From the 90s: Vogue, Hanky Panky, The Beast Within, Deeper and Deeper, Bedtime Story, Lament, and Frozen

From the 2000s: Music, Don't Tell Me, Die Another Day, American Life, Hollywood, Nothing Fails, Nobody Knows Me, Mother & Father

A cover version of Imagine

Before the Celebration tour, it is clear that a lot of thought and effort was put in making the Re-invention Tour's setlist as comprehensive as possible. All eras were well represented and what is more curious: not all the songs she performed had been necessarily #1 or well-remembered singles. Isn't she genius?

9 hours ago, maddy1111 said:

There is a special place in my heart for this tour since it has been the very first tour I saw from her after becoming a fan in 2000 (when Music album was released). And I know I am gonna be opening old wounds here, but it is an absolute shame we don't have this tour even properly released until this date (no, I don't count I'm Going to Tell You a Secret documentary). It's been 20 years, Madonna!

The way her legacy regarding tours (no Blond Ambition, no Re-Invention) and even albums (ignored anniversaries) is treated is truly mind-boggling to me as a fan who has been adoring her for 24 years now. And we are not talking about some random pop star, but about Queen of Pop for god's sake. 

I want to buy 3 copies of HD remastered Bluray of Re-Invention tour immediately! 

That’s true but remember we are very lucky as fans of Madonna. Janet never released the Control, Rythm Nation and Janet tour (not even in vhs) and there is only the Japan televised RN show I believe. Fans of Michael Jackson are still waiting for the Victory Tour and the Bad Tour was released only after his dead and sourced from a vhs. Whitney never released a tour on video aside from the special for I’m Your Baby Tonight and the Africa HBO special was never released on video. Spice Girls never released the last two tours, George Michael never released his Faith Tour, Britney never released the Circus Tour, Gaga never released the Born This Way tour and the Joanne tour, Mariah only released the Mimi Tour and the Fantasy Special  and the MTV Unpugged and many many more artists were not as generous as Madonna. All the new artist out there are not releasing shows (only Taylor, and she also skipped some tours). 
Yes we all want a Blond Ambition remaster but between Japan, Barcelona and Nice we have three full shows and two were officially released on laser disc and vhs (the Japanese one). Two Who’s That Girl show were officially released. Only Re-Invention is missing but at least we have the leaked version. So again, of course we want a bluray 4K boxset of every single tour, but we are very lucky.