T-Boz of TLC: “The industry is missing real superstars like Michael Jackson & Madonna�

Osh Åžarif

T-Boz of TLC is looking for new female talents for a brand new band she wants to put together. She thinks that the music industry is missing real superstars like Michael Jackson and Madonna.“I think the industry is missing real superstars,†T-Boz told TheGrio. “Beyoncé has staying power, and there are certain ones that stand out and are truly superstars.â€Being a celebrity these days and being popular isn’t the same thing as being like Michael Jackson, Madonna or Janet Jackson.T-Boz 

While I enjoy any emerging talent that comes up, I do blame the lack of superstars on the fact, that it's so manufactured anymore. The fact is, the superstars of yesteryear worked their asses off to achieve the stardom they have now. We have so many talent and reality shows, where everyone is wanting to be a star, it's over saturated the entertainment business. I'm sure there are a number of new talents or undiscovered talents have great potential. The difference is, the superstars of the past had more of a mystique to them. These days, the media is all up in one's business from day one. They are looking to topple anyone striving to make a big name for themselves. Those who reach it, are knocked down quickly because we know so much about everyone's business. It kills the mystique and interest in being a huge fan. Even with Michael Jackson's life being exploited by the 90's, there was still a mystique about him. There was something fascinating about him whether it was good or bad. To be a superstar, you have to learn to give, but pull back before too much is exploited about you. And of course, being talented is a huge key. But again, there are plenty of great talents out there, but we're over saturated with it. Like everything, it's become a corporation to be a huge superstar. I think we're going to have to get back to basics before we see a new superstar with the magnitude of Michael Jackson and Madonna. I do think there have been many entertainers who were at a hand length at that status. Justin Timberlake, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry and Britney Spears are a few examples. Superstars don't necessarily have to last for three decades. We've had superstars for decades. Some have been immortalized in music history as legends. But who will be immortalize with the likes of Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, Michael Jackson, The Beatles and Madonna? Time will tell.

i think the industry does not grant new talent the time to truly develop. it's fast-food-like. make-up, moves, record, out out out, sell sell sell.

rushed.

no quality.

Special people used to make it, now the industry is so harsh that only products are given a chance for the most part. People who can hack it for a while and make the most money then fade. Real artists prefer to stay on the sidelines because it's too much bullshit to take from record labels.

Not sure how it is where you both live, but you guys are pretty much right on the money on what you say. It's like that in a lot of entertainment, not just music. Even new TV series get cancelled before they get a chance to develop an audience. Not only that, they keep shuffling these shows on different days and/or timeslots, and it confuses people. I remember the day when you could turn on the TV on Thursday Night, and the same line up of shows would always be there. By the late 90's, and especially in the 00's, that all changed. Too much shuffling around. And some shows will air for a half a season and not come back for another year. In most cases, it just doesn't work out because people forget about these shows. It seems they are doing it more and more, so maybe certain shows which only get 10 to 13 episodes a season will be remember more.

Rihanna should be labeled as music legend since she started to release one album per year :Madonna020:

A lot of artists used to do it. During the 50's, 60's, and 70's, many released one annually if not sooner. Elvis did it. The Beatles did it. Prince even did it in the 80's.

Being a celebrity these days and being popular isn’t the same thing as being like Michael Jackson, Madonna or Janet Jackson Prince.

T-Boz

Now that I fixed it, I agree with T-Boz. As far as I'm concerned, Madonna and Prince are the last surviving superstars of that legendary status that no other solo artists can even come close to.

Now that I fixed it, I agree with T-Boz. As far as I'm concerned, Madonna and Prince are the last surviving superstars of that legendary status that no other solo artists can even come close to.

Janet Jackson was equally a superstar for many years. Anyone denying that is just "hating" on her. No doubt, she isn't as popular as she used to be and seems to be quite obscure for the last several years. Being a way for so long, I would suspect she could easily make a huge comeback.

Janet Jackson was equally a superstar for many years. Anyone denying that is just "hating" on her. No doubt, she isn't as popular as she used to be and seems to be quite obscure for the last several years. Being a way for so long, I would suspect she could easily make a huge comeback.

her tit killed her career.

I don't "hate"on JJ.  While I love a lot of her songs, I don't see her on the same level as Madonna. But that's just my opinion. Like I said, as far as I'm concerned, MJ, Madonna and Prince are the biggest solo superstars from the 80s. I respect your opinion if you think that JJ is on same level as Madonna and MJ.  I  respectfully agree to disagree with you on that.

I have to say, for me personally and judging from the media presence at least in germany in the late 80s and early 90s up to 96, janet was definitely up there with the likes of her brother, madonna and prince. sales-wise and artistically.

That's what I think. I know it's not in the same realm now, but back then, she was considered a huge mega star alongside with her brother, Madonna, U2, George Michael, Whitney Houston and Tina Turner. But of course, Michael and Madonna has proven the test of time, more Madonna than anyone else. Even Prince had equally star power back then. The difference is, that Madonna is still held in high regards and popularity while the others have dwindled away.  U2 though probably will remain pretty high up there with the likes of Rolling Stones.

Janet just became too repetitious by the 2000's. I actually loved her "All For You" CD, but the formula was pretty much the same with every album, and the follow up albums didn't really reach me the way her earlier albums did. Again, I think because it was the same same.  The thing is that while she did have that Superbowl incident, that really toppled her, I don't think it did her in as much as just her music wasn't evolving. The song at the time of that incident "Just  A Little While" was actually a catchy little ditty that had slight success until the drama of the Superbowl hit. It was a little something different from her.  A couple of her songs from the "Discipline" album were pretty cool and different.

I also think Janet is a really decent actress. She's not done a lot, but everything I've seen her in, she came off quite well and very convincing unlike her brother and dare I say, Madonna?

i think the industry does not grant new talent the time to truly develop. it's fast-food-like. make-up, moves, record, out out out, sell sell sell.

rushed.

no quality.

It's true, but that's because people don't buy music anymore. Record labels don't have the time/money to give to up and coming acts to allow them to grow. You have be successful & sell right out of the gate. So people who are supported are the people who won't last long, but will sell records/concert tickets. I don't think we'll see those kinds of epic pop stars on M & Michael's scale again.