New podcast interview with Patrick Leonard

Prayer

What a phenomenal list of iconic people he worked with.  I can't help to think how this is just one more connection Madonna had with Michael Jackson.  One could say, she was always taking a page from Michael since the beginning of her career, starting with making Freddy DeMann as her manager.  It's just wild how their work and lives kept intertwining over the years.

I've heard him tell that story of Live to Tell before.  Maybe a few more details more this time around. I knew the song was originally intended for another movie, but I didn't realize how in just one day, he was canned from the film, for only to offer it to Madonna, and she records the song and then later that same day is contacted by Sean to use it in their film. 

I am confused though when he says their was only one vocal take, but we all know there is a another alternate vocal where she doesn't sound as strong.  I always thought that was the demo, but maybe they came back to it to see if they could improve on it, but he just forgot about that?   

The most interesting part for me is at minute 38:03 when he says that for Like a Prayer he insisted to have real instruments playing and not the drum machines and sequancers so trandy at that time ... cause you really can feel and hear the warmth and the autenthicity of those songs. Thanks for the link :cute:

Quincy Jones asked him to make something like Sade for Michael that's how he came up with the two bars of La isla bonita. So no wonder Chris Lord Age did the remix (Sade's mixer).

If you're interested in Sade, check Paul Cook's youtube account or sadedrummer on Youtube, he has all the tea and since he's suing the band and Sony, he's sharing incredible unreleased material like demos, early gigs and tv appearances. 

As far as I know, there's only one bit of 100% new information about M. on this podcast (all the rest he's told before previously):

Freddy DeMann was nervous about having "Like A Prayer" for the first single (super long song, too many starts and stops, etc.) until the day they recorded with the choir. He was in the studio that day and at some point during the choir singing he tapped Patrick Leonard's shoulder and said to him:

"It's the national anthem, isn't it?"

On the other hand, about the one take stories: while it fits some kind of narrative, they probably are for the songs Patrick Leonard always mentions, "Live To Tell", the "LAP" album tracks... all of them have some overdubs but the main vocal track is the same as the demo, at least for the only two demos we've listened to, "Like A Prayer" and "Cherish".

They simply did overdubs for the original vocal take or try different takes but kept the original and used the second for support.

5 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

If you're interested in Sade, check Paul Cook's youtube account or sadedrummer on Youtube, he has all the tea and since he's suing the band and Sony, he's sharing incredible unreleased material like demos, early gigs and tv appearances. 

Hum... très merci beaucoup !!! (And I won't tolerate you censoring me for talking to you in French right?)

8 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

Oh NO! I did not know anything about this, so bad ... is this the reason why they're not releaseing any new music after having been in studio for months in 2020? Please let me know if you have any clue. Sade is the only artist I love more than M, I need their new album to surface sooner or later  :eyesroll: (... I heard in november we will get a new song at least)

23 minutes ago, stefo said:

Oh NO! I did not know anything about this, so bad ... is this the reason why they're not releaseing any new music after having been in studio for months in 2020? Please let me know if you have any clue. Sade is the only artist I love more than M, I need their new album to surface sooner or later  :eyesroll: (... I heard in november we will get a new song at least)

I don't think so he's just the original drummer, he formed Pride, the band Helen (Folasade) joined as a background singer then some members formed Sade from there. She had him fired from the band so he's pretty pissed off but he can back his claims with incredible files.

There's a new Sade track coming up on november 22nd on the Red, Hot &....compilation in support of the trans community, it's a track about and dedicated to her trans son. Maybe an album will follow or a surprise release in the coming weeks, we know the album is done..

3 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

I don't think so he's just the original drummer, he formed Pride, the band Helen (Folasade) joined as a background singer then some members formed Sade from there. She had him fired from the band so he's pretty pissed off but he can back his claims with incredible files.

There's a new Sade track coming up on november 22nd on the Red, Hot &....compilation in support of the trans community, it's a track about and dedicated to her trans son. Maybe an album will follow or a surprise release in the coming weeks, we know the album is done..

Oooook this got me so damn excited!! Thank you  :hearteyes:

15 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

Quincy Jones asked him to make something like Sade for Michael that's how he came up with the two bars of La isla bonita. So no wonder Chris Lord Age did the remix (Sade's mixer).

Why is he suing?