In Vogue

Debord

This documentary has been on here cos it gave rise to the Jenny Shimizu story but it's worth a watch for any Madonna fan. In the opening episode Anna Wintour speaks about how Madonna was the influence for the new direction she took Vogue magazine in and folk like Sarah Jessica Parker and Victoria Beckham talk about how enormous her influence was.

there is a lot of Madonna talk, and she is also mentioned a few times in passing as well, when they talk about designers etc. Overall, they point our very clearly how important and influential she is.

Interestingly, they say that the celebrity cover trend didn't catch on until they put Gwyneth Paltrow on the cover, she is given a lot of time and attention in the docu series.

5 hours ago, androiduser said:

there is a lot of Madonna talk, and she is also mentioned a few times in passing as well, when they talk about designers etc. Overall, they point our very clearly how important and influential she is.

Interestingly, they say that the celebrity cover trend didn't catch on until they put Gwyneth Paltrow on the cover, she is given a lot of time and attention in the docu series.

Too bad Madonna has never had an amazing Vogue cover. Even the one for Erotica isnt very impressive despite other great images from that shoot.

16 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Too bad Madonna has never had an amazing Vogue cover. Even the one for Erotica isnt very impressive despite other great images from that shoot.

Overall, the Vogue US celeb covers were always terrible, very commercial, they looked like People magazine. Grace Coddington says in the docu that she hates celeb issues (unrelated to Madonna). The model issues are much more creative because there are no limitations, celebrities always worry about the image they want to convey. There is a fantastic comparison in the September Issue documentary when they are working on the celebrity editorial in the US, and the model editorial on location in Paris, the whole atmosphere is drastically different.

The entire spread in Madonna's first Vogue US that was discussed in the documentary is disappointing, they look like photos for a gossip magazine when they interview a celeb in their home. :sis:

1 hour ago, androiduser said:

The entire spread in Madonna's first Vogue US that was discussed in the documentary is disappointing, they look like photos for a gossip magazine when they interview a celeb in their home. :sis:

I agree, I was just eleven and I found them so damn cheap already  :lol: I was like "ok, what's happening here?"

I mean, we came from the masterpices Ritts and Weber shot for the True Blue campaign. 

2 hours ago, Susan Thomas said:

I agree, I was just eleven and I found them so damn cheap already  :lol: I was like "ok, what's happening here?"

I mean, we came from the masterpices Ritts and Weber shot for the True Blue campaign. 

Yeah surprised it wasn't Meisel...btw i wonder if she'll ever do the cover again. I've always heard the rumor Anna hates her so i wonder what happened?

4 hours ago, Susan Thomas said:

Oh I didn't know about Wintour hating her ... it actually sounds tasty 

it's likely that she's very demanding but doesn't generate enough interest for the Met Gala, so it's too much hassle for Wintour. I know fans won't agree, but Madonna doesn't get as much press for her Met Gala appearances as some other stars.

33 minutes ago, androiduser said:

it's likely that she's very demanding but doesn't generate enough interest for the Met Gala, so it's too much hassle for Wintour. I know fans won't agree, but Madonna doesn't get as much press for her Met Gala appearances as some other stars.

I see ... such a pity, that performance for me was one of the best things she's done before the CT. 

1 hour ago, androiduser said:

Ummm...she literally performed at the Gala in 2018. And was all over the place after pretty much every appearance. The one time there was a jokey fuss was when Madonna said Wintour had refused to let her wear a very revealing outfit one year so she didn't attend.