Madonna’s silence on the US election

BLUE JEAN

7 hours ago, Redha DBL said:

She's a freedom fighter, she has claimed it more than any other singers for years and years ! Freedom fighter and claiming for peace in the world, she has been the most vocal female singer about it for years !  

I agree, but not completely. I didn't see her claiming peace in Gaza or Lebanon. Ukraine and Israel, on the other hand...

On 10/19/2024 at 6:11 PM, Slickness said:

Good, I hate when celebs get involved in politics, what is the purpose? Who doesn't know they need to vote and do people need someone to tell them who to vote for?  Most people already know who they support, why would who a celebrity vote for matter to anyone?

It's important because most celebs have the reach to bring attention to any topic, and that includes politics. It's not their job, but it will not hurt us to question people who have the power to influence millions, like you and me.

Do you remember when Kylie Jenner got the whole world contouring lips? Her impact on beauty standards? Well, imagine if she used her platform to shed some light on things that really matter to the world... 

2 hours ago, Madnness said:

I agree, but not completely. I didn't see her claiming peace in Gaza or Lebanon. Ukraine and Israel, on the other hand...

But it's not her job to do so.  There should be no expectation for her to speak out, no matter how outspoken one has been in the past.  There is no reason to justify it.  And why would you want her to speak out on such a polarizing issue, when no matter what she says, she will be blasted for doing so?  It should only be HER choice to make any statement about social injustices in the world.  No one should expect or condemn her for NOT speaking out.  Again, it's not her job to... no matter how famous she is, how outspoken she's been in the past and whether or not one thinks she can shift a mindset.  If she wants to speak out about these things, that should ONLY be up to her.  Being disappointed that she hasn't, is looking for unnecessary drama and disappointment. 

49 minutes ago, Adonna said:

But it's not her job to do so.  There should be no expectation for her to speak out, no matter how outspoken one has been in the past.  There is no reason to justify it.  And why would you want her to speak out on such a polarizing issue, when no matter what she says, she will be blasted for doing so?  It should only be HER choice to make any statement about social injustices in the world.  No one should expect or condemn her for NOT speaking out.  Again, it's not her job to... no matter how famous she is, how outspoken she's been in the past and whether or not one thinks she can shift a mindset.  If she wants to speak out about these things, that should ONLY be up to her.  Being disappointed that she hasn't isn't just looking for unnecessary drama and disappointment. 

She literally spent the Madame X era quoting James Baldwin's "artists are here to disturb the peace". Her engagement with issues of substance beyond just standard pop fare is part of what makes her who she is. So it's perfectly reasonable for people to question her silence on Gaza especially when, as noted, she hasn't been silent about Ukraine. 

1 hour ago, Debord said:

Her engagement with issues of substance beyond just standard pop fare is part of what makes her who she is.

Spot on. That's what I have in mind, @Adonna.

I agree that it's not her job to voice her political views — they're our instruments for the change we want to see in the world, but no one is obligated to speak them out loud. It's not her responsibility to express her political views. However, since she's been vocal about it before and she's such a strong figure that confronted social standards, people kind of expect her to speak out about such impactful events, as she did with American Life.

I would love to hear Madonna speak about what matters to me whether or not I agree with her, as other people on this topic, but it's also a matter of managing my/our expectations. It's not her job, but I would love it if she did. 

Regarding the unnecessary drama, well, it's politics. There will always be some drama, unfortunately.

28 minutes ago, Madnness said:

I agree that it's not her job to voice her political views — they're our instruments for the change we want to see in the world, but no one is obligated to speak them out loud. It's not her responsibility to express her political views. However, since she's been vocal about it before and she's such a strong figure that confronted social standards, people kind of expect her to speak out about such impactful events, as she did with American Life.

I would love to hear Madonna speak about what matters to me whether or not I agree with her, as other people on this topic, but it's also a matter of managing my/our expectations. It's not her job, but I would love it if she did. 

Regarding the unnecessary drama, well, it's politics. There will always be some drama, unfortunately.

Just because she goes beyond the "pop standard fare", doesn't obligate her to speak up.  That's my point.  Anyone being disappointed or upset she hasn't said much or anything at all, that's on them.  Imagine getting upset and carrying on because she decides not to speak out about something you want her to speak out about. To me, that's looking for unnecessary drama.  It's like creating a "damned if she does or damned if she doesn't" scenario here.

56 minutes ago, Madnness said:

Season 23 Applause GIF by The Voice

I don't blame her at all for not speaking out on anything political or the election!!  Someone would just go on about it and sensationalize what she would say and furthermore, use it as a sound bite. So why even bother.  She's also still very much mourning and in a healing time after losing Christopher.  You just don't just get over something like that. It takes time.

4 hours ago, Debord said:

She literally spent the Madame X era quoting James Baldwin's "artists are here to disturb the peace". Her engagement with issues of substance beyond just standard pop fare is part of what makes her who she is. So it's perfectly reasonable for people to question her silence on Gaza especially when, as noted, she hasn't been silent about Ukraine. 

Exactly.

50 minutes ago, Voguerista said:

I don't blame her at all for not speaking out on anything political or the election!!  Someone would just go on about it and sensationalize what she would say and furthermore, use it as a sound bite. So why even bother.

I don't blame her either. People are so cut throat about it anymore.  She's spoken out in the past on certain social and political issues, but it doesn't mean she is obligated to speak out every time.  She may feel she's a "freedom fighter", but it doesn't mean she has to step up to the plate and say something every time.  No one is obligated to do that! 

4 minutes ago, Adonna said:

I don't blame her either. People are so cut throat about it anymore.  She's spoken out in the past on certain social and political issues, but it doesn't mean she is obligated to speak out every time.  She may feel she's some "freedom fighter", but it doesn't mean she has to step up to the plate and say something every time.  No one is obligated to do that! 

You said it. She's not obligated. Maybe she rather donate  (as money talks at this stage a lot right now) and just sit cozy with this and chill as much as she can. It's been a rough couple of months for her. 

Fire Fireplace GIF by NETFLIX

24 minutes ago, Voguerista said:

You said it. She's not obligated. Maybe she rather donate  (as money talks at this stage a lot right now) and just sit cozy with this and chill as much as she can. It's been a rough couple of months for her. 

Fire Fireplace GIF by NETFLIX

True, with Joan and her brother passing, maybe those events have put things in more perspective at the moment.  I don't think her stating who she supports is going change the outcome of who votes for who anyway.  Taylor Swift seems to be the most influential at this moment. :)

5 hours ago, Debord said:

Capitulating to the demands of a fanbase isn’t disturbing the peace. Madonna has been politically outspoken for decades. She doesn’t have to do it every time and she still might.

Because when those Fascist dictators posing as righteous men come for you
With their big leather boots to shut you up
To put a gag in your mouth
You better be prepared to fight for what you believe in
You better be prepared to die for what you believe in
I want to start a revolution

ernest p worrell school GIF

Madonna’s entire manifesto should reassure her fanbase that her values comply with their expectations. The more transparent, direct and obvious, the better! 

Pick a scenario:

a) TMZ reveals Madonna is a silent Trumper, she funded Q-Anon, and that she refused to vax her kids, but she’s also gonna release an EP with Warning Signs, Desperately Seeking Susan, Love Attack, First Is A Kiss, Something’s Coming Over Me, and Can’t You See My Mind on Election Day…and Ricardo Gomes subsequently defects definitively to team Beyoncé. 

b) Madonna announces she is gonna march for Kamala across the Brooklyn Bridge with her ukulele, the twins and an assistant holding her megaphone to deliver impromptu renditions of Buffalo Springfield’s For What It’s Worth, Patti Smith’s People Have The Power, Edwin Starr’s War, Marvin Gaye’s What’s Going On, Dylan’s Knocking On Heaven’s Door, and (because she can’t help herself) Hey You. Oh, and she features on a remix of Sabrina Carpenter’s new single Pumpkin Spice (I Luv U Doug Emhoff), finally securing a return to number one on the BB Hot 100.

c) As we all know, Madame X is a spy. She’s having a secret affair with Netanyahu and gives a private concert singing many of her deep cuts to the Knesset to secure a ceasefire as part of a covert Pentagon plot codenamed Operation Mata Haridonna. No new music until 2043, but she donates all proceeds from her new line of bed linens, made in Ukraine, named Bedtime Stories to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the album to Gays for Palestine. 

IMG_5024.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Alibaba said:

Madonna’s entire manifesto should reassure her fanbase that her values comply with their expectations. The more transparent, direct and obvious, the better! 

Pick a scenario:

a) TMZ reveals Madonna is a silent Trumper, she funded Q-Anon, and that she refused to vax her kids, but she’s also gonna release an EP with Warning Signs, Desperately Seeking Susan, Love Attack, First Is A Kiss, Something’s Coming Over Me, and Can’t You See My Mind on Election Day…and Ricardo Gomes subsequently defects definitively to team Beyoncé. 

b) Madonna announces she is gonna march for Kamala across the Brooklyn Bridge with her ukulele, the twins and an assistant holding her megaphone to deliver impromptu renditions of Buffalo Springfield’s For What It’s Worth, Patti Smith’s People Have The Power, Edwin Starr’s War, Marvin Gaye’s What’s Going On, Dylan’s Knocking On Heaven’s Door, and (because she can’t help herself) Hey You. Oh, and she features on a remix of Sabrina Carpenter’s new single Pumpkin Spice Love.

c) As we all know, Madame X is a spy. She’s having an affair with Netanyahu to secure a ceasefire as part of a covert Pentagon plot codenamed Operation Mata Haridonna. No new music until 2043.

d) It is revealed that Madonna’s raunchy new dance album produced by Stuart Price will coincide with a sequel to her Sex Book. Donald Trump, JD Vance, Piers Morgan and Rosanne Barr are all featured in the photos.

6 minutes ago, BLUE JEAN said:

d) It is revealed that Madonna’s raunchy new dance album produced by Stuart Price will coincide with a sequel to her Sex Book. Donald Trump, JD Vance, Piers Morgan and Rosanne Barr are all featured in the photos.

Promoted with a 3 hour appearance on the Joe Rogan podcast with guest hosts Jordan Peterson and Elon Musk, all of whom have to finally admit that Roseanne doesn’t look better than Madonna  after all.