Madonna’s silence on the US election

BLUE JEAN

7 hours ago, adirondak said:

Capitulating to the demands of a fanbase isn’t disturbing the peace. Madonna has been politically outspoken for decades. She doesn’t have to do it every time and she still might.

Speaking out on the greatest issue of our time which her government is hugely involved in isn't "capitulating to a fanbase", it's being a responsible human being. And given most of the fanbase doesn't say anything, it's not even a coherent claim.

7 hours ago, Robertthenurse said:

I also would love to point out that “celebrities” give more than we think under the radar; out of the goodness of their heart; away from the spotlight — because that fulfills them probably 1000% more than doing it for clicks. 

Not Oprah. She doesn't go anywhere without a camera crew. Maui exposed her. She is evil. Did we ever find out what happened to those girls that were abducted from her school? Where is the accountability, Nowhere these days? All you get from the majority of these young ones is, It's my mental health.🤷‍♂️

Now the kids are taking their parents to Job Interviews, Im not joking. I wouldn't hire any of them.

47 minutes ago, Tiago Lisboa Rodrigues said:

I mean we already know who she’s voting for.

i don’t miss her messy instagram from like 3 years ago. This woman we have now is better at navigating social media. 

I suspect they’ve limited her access

Kamala’s campaign just might not connect with her as much as Hillary.  Kamala seems to be focused on the middle class while Hillary seemed to make a good amount of it about misogyny.  I can’t even remember who Hillary’s running mate was.

Its not just her: Christina Aguilera had a fund raising event for Hillary years back but she’s been mainly quiet as well.

Ditto Lady Gaga.  It’s really just Taylor Swift from whom I understand has been vocal.  

9 hours ago, Debord said:

Speaking out on the greatest issue of our time which her government is hugely involved in isn't "capitulating to a fanbase", it's being a responsible human being. And given most of the fanbase doesn't say anything, it's not even a coherent claim.

Either way, you’ll have to deal with her silence. You’re not entitled to anyone’s thoughts or voice but your own. 

9 minutes ago, adirondak said:

Either way, you’ll have to deal with her silence. You’re not entitled to anyone’s thoughts or voice but your own. 

Why do any of these discussions always immediately go to the language of "entitlement"? No-one here is cancelling Madonna. People are expressing disappointment at a politically engaged and socially conscious artist, who has enjoyed an enhanced status as an artist because of those qualities and who has indeed trumpeted them herself, remaining mute on the biggest political issue of our time. That is something rather different from some dumb stan complaining that their fave star won't sign their record or some shit.

1 hour ago, Debord said:

Why do any of these discussions always immediately go to the language of "entitlement"? No-one here is cancelling Madonna. People are expressing disappointment at a politically engaged and socially conscious artist, who has enjoyed an enhanced status as an artist because of those qualities and who has indeed trumpeted them herself, remaining mute on the biggest political issue of our time. That is something rather different from some dumb stan complaining that their fave star won't sign their record or some shit.

I never said anyone’s cancelling Madonna. Again you’re making up something to be mad at and then arguing with it. Madonna hasn’t remained mute on this issue, either. She just hasn’t said what you want. Why do you need a pop star to be an avatar for your beliefs? It goes to the language of entitlement because both of your posts show that you feel entitled to her voice on the issues of your choosing. 

2 minutes ago, adirondak said:

I never said anyone’s cancelling Madonna. Again you’re making up something to be mad at and then arguing with it. Madonna hasn’t remained mute on this issue, either. She just hasn’t said what you want. Why do you need a pop star to be an avatar for your beliefs? It goes to the language of entitlement because both of your posts show that you feel entitled to her voice on the issues of your choosing. 

Christ you're bad at this. Suggesting that people will 'have to deal' and that it's 'entitlement' very clearly feeds into the narratives of cancellation and 'woke' people which you've been so vocal about elsewhere. We're adults with functioning brains, so we don't have to do this stupid thing of pretending that what's being said isn't being said, and if that's the only tactic you have it says a lot.

Which bit of what I wrote don't you understand? I don't 'need Madonna to be an avatar for my beliefs'. What I wrote was very clear as to why people may be disappointed and you seem unable to comprehend that beyond stan brain.

It's also very telling you try and have it both ways - she owes you nothing, she doesn't have to speak! But also, she has spoken! Aside from her initial October 7th post she said some trite guff about light, as opposed to her very clear stance in support of Ukraine. Not 'end the conflict!' but "Russia's Pointless and Greed Driven Invasion Of the Ukraine MUST be stopped" and having the Ukraine flag at her shows. I know it's easier for you to grasp to just resort to trite nonsense about entitled fans but for us grown-ups, it's very clear that the different standards are because it's viewed as controversial to speak up against the aggressors in one of these wars and not in the other.

A

3 minutes ago, Debord said:

Christ you're bad at this. Suggesting that people will 'have to deal' and that it's 'entitlement' very clearly feeds into the narratives of cancellation and 'woke' people which you've been so vocal about elsewhere.

I've never talked about woke people. Quote it. Saying you feel entitled to someone's opinion has nothing to do with cancellation. 

Just now, adirondak said:

I've never talked about woke people. Quote it. 

Yaaaaay we're back to your fave tactic! QUOTE MEH! But ok, I'm glad you agree Trump's bullshit about 'wokeness' is embarrassing and aimed at people with shit for brains. We keep finding these points of agreement, it's cute.

4 minutes ago, Debord said:

It's also very telling you try and have it both ways - she owes you nothing, she doesn't have to speak! But also, she has spoken! Aside from her initial October 7th post she said some trite guff about light, as opposed to her very clear stance in support of Ukraine. Not 'end the conflict!' but "Russia's Pointless and Greed Driven Invasion Of the Ukraine MUST be stopped" and having the Ukraine flag at her shows.

A

Correct. She's spoken, and she owes you nothing further. 

it is interesting that she didn’t say anything publicly. i mean, i don't blame her, she doesn’t have to. she tried to find the right words after october 7 and it was clear, it has been/is too damn difficult to find the middle ground as a pop star with a short statement. she said everything there is to say about trump, she is not advocating for harris. i always have the theory, she would love to support, but they dont want her public endorsement cause she's considered too controversial. (someone here already mentioned it). 

11 minutes ago, Debord said:

Yaaaaay we're back to your fave tactic! QUOTE MEH! 

Ya I should just let you keep lying about things I’ve supposedly said because you need something to fuel your anger for the day. Think about the mental state it takes to totally make things up, get yourself all worked up about it and then argue with it. 

3 minutes ago, adirondak said:

Ya I should just let you keep lying about things I’ve supposedly said because you need something to fuel your anger for the day. 

What are you so angry about? I acknowledged that you think Trump banging on about 'wokeness' is really stupid and aimed at stupid people. I am agreeing with you!

She said daft things about october 7 in her shows, echoeing fake news that had been debunked before she repeated them. 

What i needed to tell her on the issue, i said it in the comment section of her IG post about the controversial summit for children in Ukraine in Switzerland. 

I don't need her to voice her support for a candidate or even give her 2 cents on a political matter anymore. She's politically dead to me since last year and her ongoing silence speaks volumes to me. She's not a rebel heart and she's certainly not a freedom fighter and each time she'll bore us calling herself this from now on, i'll tell her she was mute af while a genocide was happening. After 40 years of fandom, she's just a singer to me now and it's enough.  Now my political respect goes to Shirley Manson from Garbage, Ilana Glazer, Rosie, Susan Sarandon, Cynthia Nixon.... not Madonna.

6 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

She said daft things about october 7 in her shows, echoeing fake news that had been debunked before she repeated them. 

What i needed to tell her on the issue, i said it in the comment section of her IG post about the controversial summit for children in Ukraine in Switzerland. 

I don't need her to voice her support for a candidate or even give her 2 cents on a political matter anymore. She's politically dead to me since last year and her ongoing silence speaks volumes to me. She's not a rebel heart and she's certainly not a freedom fighter and each time she'll bore us calling herself this from now on, i'll tell her she was mute af while a genocide was happening. After 40 years of fandom, she's just a singer to me now and it's enough.  Now my political respect goes to Shirley Manson from Garbage, Ilana Glazer, Rosie, Susan Sarandon, Cynthia Nixon.... not Madonna.

How are you able to ascertain what’s fake news from a different continent?

7 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

Susan Sarandon? Yikes.