Madonna’s silence on the US election

BLUE JEAN

1 minute ago, Madnness said:

What a thing to normalize. 

It’s sad, but it’s true. Why do you feel a celebrity needs to “speak up” about it or post online something to signify it bothers them. Do you know if she has not volunteered or offered her support? What a lot of fans don’t understand that most charities support mostly behind the scenes. Social media has made everyone entitled to know EVERYTHING. 

If you donated to a charity, does it mean you have to post it on social media? Or every time you give some money to a homeless person? IMO once you step into “I’m gonna post what I just did” it takes away from the actual gesture, and actually makes it less about the charity and more about the clickbait. 

4 minutes ago, Robertthenurse said:

It’s sad, but it’s true. Why do you feel a celebrity needs to “speak up” about it or post online something to signify it bothers them. Do you know if she has not volunteered or offered her support? What a lot of fans don’t understand that most charities support mostly behind the scenes. Social media has made everyone entitled to know EVERYTHING. 

If you donated to a charity, does it mean you have to post it on social media? Or every time you give some money to a homeless person? IMO once you step into “I’m gonna post what I just did” it takes away from the actual gesture, and actually makes it less about the charity and more about the clickbait. 

As has been explained in this very thread over and over again, this isn't some dumb stan thing of people 'feeling entitled' to Madonna to speak up about EVERYTHING, it's folk expressing disappointment that an artist many of us love in part cos she's engaged, and political, and embraces 'artists are here to disturb the peace' speaks up about something like Ukraine but doesn't speak up about the much bigger genocide that her own government is supporting, which is far riskier for her to speak up on. And yes, celebrities speaking up about these things matter. It raises awareness, it makes loads of people look into the issue and as we see on here, there are a bafflingly large amount of people who will defend their chosen celeb to the death and those people would suddenly swing on board. It's not remotely comparable to donating to a charity.

1 minute ago, Debord said:

As has been explained in this very thread over and over again, this isn't some dumb stan thing of people 'feeling entitled' to Madonna to speak up about EVERYTHING, it's folk expressing disappointment that an artist many of us love in part cos she's engaged, and political, and embraces 'artists are here to disturb the peace' speaks up about something like Ukraine but doesn't speak up about the much bigger genocide that her own government is supporting, which is far riskier for her to speak up on. And yes, celebrities speaking up about these things matter. It raises awareness, it makes loads of people look into the issue and as we see on here, there are a bafflingly large amount of people who will defend their chosen celeb to the death and those people would suddenly swing on board. It's not remotely comparable to donating to a charity.

But 👏🏼 how 👏🏼 do 👏🏼 you 👏🏼 know 👏🏼 what she does OFFLINE. Not everyone is glued to their cell phones or computers man. She’s in her 60s. She’s prolly not even running her social media lol

Just now, Robertthenurse said:

It means genocides occur in other parts of the world as well. Doesn’t mean it is right. Death is no joke. 

Ok so which genocides of the past year, or even few years, which Madonna's government is facilitating, might she speak up on? Cos if your argument isn't 'she hasn't spoken up on these other genocides so why should she speak up on this one', I'm not really seeing what relevance this has? It just seems to be wheeling out enormous human suffering to try and defend a pop star.

Just now, Robertthenurse said:

But 👏🏼 how 👏🏼 do 👏🏼 you 👏🏼 know 👏🏼 what she does OFFLINE. Not everyone is glued to their cell phones or computers man. She’s in her 60s. She’s prolly not even running her social media lol

So why was she so vocal about Ukraine and wheel out the flag at the Celebration tour, if she prefers to do things behind closed doors? I mean come on. The reason she's not spoken up on Gaza is pretty obvious and it's not because she can't operate social media.

Ok so which genocides of the past year, or even few years, which Madonna's government is facilitating, might she speak up on? Cos if your argument isn't 'she hasn't spoken up on these other genocides so why should she speak up on this one', I'm not really seeing what relevance this has? It just seems to be wheeling out enormous human suffering to try and defend a pop star.

K I’m not arguing here. Africa is a place FILLED WITH YEARS OF GENOCIDE that she is deeply invested in.

Just now, Debord said:

So why was she so vocal about Ukraine and wheel out the flag at the Celebration tour, if she prefers to do things behind closed doors? I mean come on. The reason she's not spoken up on Gaza is pretty obvious and it's not because she can't operate social media.

Again, they know that.

She spoke up when no one did. And has for many years. Confessions tour. She symbolized peace on Eurovision. For fuck sakes lol

Just now, Boombox90 said:

Nah, not how it works.

It very much is though? It's well documented that the Israeli bombardment of Gaza in 2021 came to an end when President Biden privately told Netanyahu that he would no longer support it. The US government exercises enormous sway in Israel, not least because of the enormous amount of money it throws their way.

It very much is though? It's well documented that the Israeli bombardment of Gaza in 2021 came to an end when President Biden privately told Netanyahu that he would no longer support it. The US government exercises enormous sway in Israel, not least because of the enormous amount of money it throws their way.

I’m worried about America right now (where I live).

After Democracy is saved here, I can shift my focus elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Robertthenurse said:

K I’m not arguing here. Africa is a place FILLED WITH YEARS OF GENOCIDE that she is deeply invested in.

No-one is claiming she isn't involved in work in Malawi. What's that got to do with what's happening in Gaza? They're different places. There's no genocide happening in Malawi that she's being silent about.