The Rebel Heart Tour Press Reports & Reviews [North America]

groovyguy

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Madonna Expertly Touts Irreverence, Cultural Immersion on Rebel Heart Tour at MSG: Concert Review

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/concert-review-madonna-rebel-heart-824367?utm_source=twitter

“I'm feeling very nostalgic – do you people understand that I played Madison Square Garden thirty years ago?†Madonna told those on her Rebel Heart T­our during her first of two nights at the storied venue. “I'm so lucky to have survived this long and I couldn't have done it without all of you. I want to acknowledge the support and love you've given me for over three decades.â€

And she did just that, showcasing her years of creative vision and onstage expertise to deliver an arena show packed with visual variety, thematic theatrics and inventive instrumentation to refresh even her earliest hits. A half-tempo version of “Material Girl†while tossing male dancers down a sloped LCD screen? Or a full-on flamenco rendition of “La Isla Bonita†complete with stomps, claps and shouts?  What about "Burning Up" with the headliner shredding hard on an electric guitar? Madonna's Rebel Heart Tour was nothing short of a spectacle that left even the most repeated ticketholder of the singer surprised and fulfilled.

With Jennifer Lopez, Ariana Grande and Amy Schumer in the audience (fresh off her opening set and ready to jump onstage with Madonna during "Unapologetic Bitch") – amid lifelong fans donning lace, leather and even “Living for Loveâ€-like bull horns – the two-hour show set her Rebel Heart tracks in various worlds, first introducing audiences to an Asian-inspired regime for the "revolution" of the album's track, "Iconic." Emerging from a descending iron cage, Madonna donned an ornate kimono-like robe with wide sequin-lined sleeves, and soon led a graceful dance interlude with oversized red fans and martial arts moves. She later opted for bolero vests, lace corsets and floral dresses for a Spain-inspired section, complete with choreography that saw her as a matador with silk red muleta and a moment to share few audience greetings in Spanish.

To spotlight her latest album, Madonna went aggressively for the religiously irreverent, as she gyrated alongside pole-dancing, scantily-clad nuns, staged an orgy atop a Last Supper table and straddled a priest in the middle of the cross-like stage. And at one point, the venue became a roaring jazz club, with cigars, fringe, a tabletop tap dance interlude, a filming bar fight and a female Charlie Chaplin, plus a performance of "La Vie En Rose" in French.

The show's most successful section was a fun and flirty Southern setup, with Madonna wearing jeans and a sweet gingham shirt and trading in her smolder for a smile. First rolling around atop a car (and some men) for Rebel Heart's "Body Shop," the singer strummed a ukulele from atop a pile of tires for a heartwarming "True Blue" and added some line dancing and piggy back rides to a well-received "Deeper and Deeper."

“Like my grandma always says, if it's got tits or tires, it's gonna give you trouble,†she told the audience with a country twang, still donning the scene’s character and before “fixing†to sing an old song, she said. “I know I'm not as funny as Amy Schumer but I'm trying!†And after dramatically performing a blend of her ballads "HeartBreakCity" and "Love Don’t Live Here Anymore," she happily skipped across a completely empty stage for a percussive and lighthearted "Like a Virgin."

When it comes to putting on a show, Madonna leaves no detail unnoticed. Rather than shoving a slew of titillating visuals onstage under endlessly flashing strobe lights and gimmicks, the seasoned entertainer presents thoroughly-developed stagings that immersive, inherently vibrant and when applicable, ethnically respectful. Each song includes its own quick transformation, mood and thematic variation, with the singer usually removing an article of clothing to therefore debut a new costume. Though some dialogue bits fell flat, lightning-length skits have her effortlessly slipping into vivid characters, each with a different voice and personality. And during wardrobe changes — a moment when other headliners leave it to video clips, onstage DJs or instrumental solos to simply hold over the crowd — Madonna's dancers served impressive spectacles that left the crowd gasping in awe, as they leaned wildly into the audience from atop ten-foot stilts. It's arguable that her changeover dance sequences and stunts are more entertaining than other performers' entire sets.

The high caliber of arena show that Madonna delivers isn't a feat attainable by many. "Finally, I made it to the top – thank you!" she said during a pause in "Music." "You know what they say: it's lonely at the top, but it ain't crowded."

Seven highlights from Madonna's concert at Madison Square Garden

Madonna has spent the year in a fog of bad press: leaked tracks from her new album, Rebel Heart, false rumors of low sales, relentless Internet debate about her age and behavior. Last night at Madison Square Garden, in the first show of her three-concert NYC engagement, she easily cleared the air with an eclectic and electrifying performance. After more than three decades, Madonna remains an authoritative diva, far from the end of her reign; she’s rarely seemed more natural and relaxed. Here are the night’s most memorable moments.

1. “Body Shopâ€/“True Blueâ€: The first section of the concert is devoted to an intense, goth pageant of songs from Rebel Heart (plus “Deeper and Deeper†from 1992’s Erotica), exploring sexual and spiritual themes that Madonna has been navigating for decades. It’s cool—and hot—but the audience lets out a collective sigh of pleasure when she switches to a bright, ’50s-greaser vibe for “Body Shop†from Rebel Heart. That's followed by a honey-sweet croon of the title track from 1986’s True Blue, with Madonna accompanying herself on the ukulele and radiating country warmth.

2. “Devil Prayâ€: An instant classic from the new album, with soothing chords reminiscent of the best tracks from 2003’s underrated American Life, this song quickly inspires the audience to sing along with its earworm chorus:

And we can do drugs and we can smoke weed and we can drink whiskeyYeah, we can get high and we can get stonedAnd we can sniff glue and we can do E and we can drop acidForever be lost with no way home

It’s a Dr. Feelgood testament to the strength of her current work.

3. “Like A Virginâ€: Halfway through the show, the opening notes of the iconic title track from Like A Virgin(1984) begin to play, and Madonna is suddenly alone on stage in a short-sleeved gingham blouse, looking like the girl next door. It’s a stunning transformation. What follows is a masterfully simple song-and-dance number, performed without backup. It’s unlike any previous version, and it boldly illuminates the freshness at the song’s core and the attention-commanding frankness of her performing it.

4. “Musicâ€: At one time, it was rumored Madonna would star in the film version of the Broadway musicalChicago. The hit title track from Music (2000) gives her the chance to deliver that Jazz Age–style razzmatazz in a shimmery black flapper dress adorned with thousands of Swarovski crystals. “Music†is a natural fit for this showbiz approach, and Madonna and her dancers bring down the house.

5. ’80s Hits Medley: As happy as the audience is to hear the early hits "Dress You Up,†"Into the Groove†and “Lucky Star,†this number is an unpolished misfire. Posing as a ragtag crew of players, Madonna and her ensemble call to mind an amalgamation of The Muppet Show and the Star Wars cantina. There’s too much going on, but they seem to be having so much fun that it’s hard not to smile.

6. “La Vie en Roseâ€: Madonna sings Edith Piaf? Oui, oui! Madonna accompanies herself on guitar and delivers a gorgeous acoustic vocal in French. Her rich, plaintive rendition suggest that she could probably pull off a whole set built around just her singing, without all the bells and whistles (and crosses and stripper poles and hotties and hydraulics).

7. “Rebel Heartâ€: Late in the show, Madonna sits on a stool at the end of her runway platform and admits to feeling nostalgic: She first played Madison Square Garden 30 years ago. Instead of launching into another oldie, though, she passionately sings her new album’s title track, imbuing it with an anthem-like quality. It has the feel of a personal statement, like Frank Sinatra’s “My Wayâ€â€”the midcareer calling card of another music legend who conquered Madison Square Garden in his 50s and who remained an icon throughout era after era, shapeshifting to thrive.

Madonna’s Concert Changed My Opinion About Her Rebel Heart Era

http://www.vh1.com/news/206910/madonna-rebel-heart-tour-review/

Posted Image

If you’re a true blue (pun intended) Madonna fan, then there is at least one era from her illustrious 30-year career you’d rather forget. For many, it’s 2003’s American Life, but I actually loved Madge’s sociopolitical commentary set to frantic techno slosh. Or maybe it’s 2008’s late-to-the-party Hard Candy, with its stale Timbalandbeats and aggressive lollipop album cover. (Again, I didn’t hate it. In fact, “Miles Away†is one of M’s best tracks to date.)

No. For me, it was Rebel Heart. From the borderline offensive Instagram promo to the preliminary leaks, and then the album itself—inconsistent, light on effervescent dance-pop, and heavy on cringe-worthy lyrics—I loathed this era like Madonna detests hydrangeas. Coming off 2012’s MDNA, an immaculate collection of dark, bubbly EDM, Rebel Heart felt like a rush job—well, at least to me. Where was the cool, calculated Madonna with dry wit I fell in love with? Rebel Heart M definitely wasn’t her.

Notice how I’m speaking in past tense, because all of this changed Wednesday night when I attended Madonna’s Rebel Heart Tour at Madison Square Garden. Madonna is a consistently athletic showgirl, with each tour more cardio-intensive, provocative, and splashy than the last. RHT was no exception. The nearly two-hour show was a larger-than-life display of cutting-edge pop showmanship, filled to the brim with zesty costumes, intricate choreography, and a militant, rigid precision that felt other-worldly. The 17,000+ fans packed in MSG were mesmerized—hypnotized—from start to finish.

However, something about this go-around felt different from her past tours. A tangible warmth permeated Wednesday’s show—a foreign concept in live Madonna fare. Gone was her standard, “Don’t you love me?†grimace, and a heartfelt—wait for it—smile remained. For the first time in ages, it looked like Madonna was having an uninhibited blast. Wild, carefree, and a rare brand of sexy-desperate, she was both enticing and delightful to watch.

This sunshine persona was only augmented by Madonna performing several from-the-vault songs with authentic excitement. Of course, she re-imagined them to keep things fresh and current. Nonetheless, she celebrated her oldies; before, it seemed she only acknowledged them out of commitment. “Like a Virgin†was set to a bouncy synth beat; “Material Girl†received a seismic glam-rock makeover; and she even offered “Dress You Up,†“Into the Groove,†and “Lucky Star†in a Latin-tinged medley. “Deeper and Deeper†and “La Isla Bonita†felt refreshingly similar to their original counterparts. Finally, Madge is happy to indulge the nostalgia.

Nostalgia. That’s an important word for RHT. Madonna’s endearing disposition was complimented by something she told the audience before singing “Who’s That Girlâ€â€”yes, really! “I’m feeling very nostalgic,†she said. “Do you people understand that I played Madison Square Garden 30 years ago? I survived!â€

Wait, what? Madonna admitted she is a legacy artist? For a woman hellbent on always looking forward and never repeating herself, this came out of left field. And then she hit us again with more sentimentality. “The support, the love that you have all given me for over two decades. What a lucky girl am I?†she said.

Shortly after, Madonna dove into a new song, “Rebel Heart,†while fan art played in the background. That’s when it hit me: The Rebel Heart era is, hands down, Madonna’s most personal to date. The smiling, fan drawings, warm musings, and recognition of old hits—she’s never been this transparent before.

And that’s exactly what the Rebel Heart era has been since the beginning: transparent. The Instagram posts, haphazard as they may be, are Madonna’s direct connection to fans, this writer included. The leaks and irreverent promo (Drakesmooch included) have made our typically cold and distant diva more human than ever. And this tour—her most self-referential—proves Madonna is comfortable existing in two distinct spaces: the 2015 boundary-pushing pop star and the nostalgic icon unafraid to embrace ’80s cheese.

This juxtaposition reached a palpable height when Madonna performed her current song “Unapologetic B–ch†with familiar tongue-in-cheek oomph, then directly went into “Holiday†with jovial, childlike spirit. It was the perfect encore.

I left Madonna’s concert bewildered, because she is now something I never expected: accessible. Heck! She may even kiss you, as one lucky fan found out Wednesday night. And I can’t lie: The Rebel Heart era—messy, nonsensical, and head-scratching—made this happen.

How crazy am I to think this time is anything but magical?

5 stars from Express for Madonna #Rebelhearttour

Rebel Heart world tour: Madonna is still The Queen of pop

5 stars

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/music/606213/Rebel-Heart-world-tour-Madonna-The-Queen-pop?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+daily-express-music-news+%28Daily+Express+%3A%3A+Music+Feed%29

THE lights flicker to the deafening roar of 20,000 New York Madonna fans packed into a hot and sweaty Madison Square Garden - the arrival of 'The Queen' is imminent.

It is hard to believe amid the glitz, the hype, the unbridled hysteria and adoration of the crowd, that we are back where it all began more than 30 years ago. 

Madonna legend holds that the then unknown Italian-American wannabe rocked up to Times Square with just 36 dollars in her pocket and a dream of being a superstar. And as the frenzied excitement threatens to shake the very foundations of the building, I think it is safe to say she can tick that one off her list. 

Yes Madonna is back on the road for her 10th world tour - Rebel Heart - named after her 13th studio album released at the end of last year. This is the fourth show on a mammoth 70-gig extravaganza which will take in America, Europe, the UK, Asia and Australia. 

Rebel Heart kicked off in Montreal, Canada, last Wednesday amid much speculation as to whether the veteran singer, now in her fourth decade of entertaining, would be up to the job. As the first reviews started to trickle in it was clear not only is she still very much up to it, but that she is still as slick and polished as ever. 

And why would that come as a surprise? This is the woman who after being dragged backwards off a flight of steps at the Brit Awards a few months ago, was back in full cape doing the same stunt in front of thousands last night - minus the stumble this time.

RELATED ARTICLES
  • [*]
Posted Image
Catholics furious with Madonna's latest on stage stunt [*]
Posted Image
Provocative Madonna still a rebel at 57

Madonna has set the bar very high for herself and make no mistake expectations are very high in every arena and stadium she sets up her stage. But as the show gets underway to the unmistakable Madonna mix of tight choreography, stunning sets and sheer star presence it is clear Rebel Heart will not disappoint.

The stage lights up before a backdrop of flashing Madonna shots in varying guises as an image of the star asks "are you with me?" - a resounding 'yes'. An army of medieval warriors carrying cruciform spears arrives before Her Madge descends from on high in a fortress-like cage to launch into the opening track 'Iconic'. 

It's a fitting start because it's not the lights, the costumes or the eye-popping spectacle which has just unravelled which draws the first gasps, but the arrival of Madonna and the knowledge that for the next two hours devoted fans will get to breath the same air as their idol.

Madonna fans will know this format of old having been used by the star on every world tour since her 1990 Blond Ambition spectacle

As elaborate and flamboyant as Madonna's performances are, there is one thing they are not, and that is gimmicky. After all, who needs flying cars, pantomime palm trees, giant tongues and blow-up hotdogs when there is really only one thing worth looking at on this platform - the most iconic pop performer of our generation.

She leaves the tacky props to those less ingrained in pop legend, there really is little comparison to be made between the 57-year-old powerhouse and the ever growing community of Rihanna's, Katy's, Taylor's and Gaga's. 

Madonna displays an astonishing ability to evolve without appearing dated, the show contains all the elements of raunch, religious iconography and cheeky innuendo you would expect from the one-time 'Queen of Sleaze' but at no point does it ever seem cheesy.

Whether she's cavorting with male dancers a third her age or gyrating in a thigh-revealing flapper-girl getup, with every swish and flex of her athletic body she leaves the viewer in no doubt that she is in absolute control not only of her brand, but of how she is perceived. 

When she grinds up and down a go-go pole trampling female dancers decked out as semi-clad nuns, she is not being slutty but is once again testing the boundaries of social acceptance. 

As Miley Cyrus has us cringing at her elongated tongue and childish 'twerking', Madonna, 35-years-her senior, has academics still pondering her message and infallible relevance as a cultural icon, expertly juxtapositioning sexuality and religion, vulnerability with power. 

The show moves through a carefully-constructed set of themes - Joan of Arc, Samurai to Tokyo Rockabilly, Latin Gipsy and Party. Madonna fans will know this format of old having been used by the star on every world tour since her 1990 Blond Ambition spectacle.

Posted Image

AKM-GSI/ SPLASH NEWS

Madonna pole-dances with nuns during her Rebel Heart Tour

One difference this time round though is that Madonna's energy, though staggering, is slightly less pumped. The dance routines look less exhausting to watch and many of the numbers have been slowed down to ballad pace for this tour. But she is 57 for goodness sake, an age at which most of us would be starting to think about comfy slippers and early nights.

And that's not to say she doesn't bust some impressive moves, you try hanging upside down on a pole and singing without dropping a note. Another standout in this show is that Madonna, for the first time on a major world tour, appears more laid back and happy on stage. 

There is less intensity in her presence and a softer, cheerier, 'let's just have a great night' vibe to the whole thing - perhaps she is mellowing, after all let's face it, she's nailed it. 

Downsides - it would have been nice to hear Like A Prayer, for any old-schoolers this is now the one we all hope for, and it's a shame she missed out Ghosttown and Joan of Arc from the new album

But the show will not disappoint British fans who have another two months to wait until the Queen of Pop lands on our fair isles to play London, Manchester, Birmingham and Glasgow. There is something here for everyone, the young and old, die-hard fans and those who just like Madonna's music and fancy a good night out. 

Rebel Heart plays London's O2 Arena on December 1 and 2; Manchester Arena on December 14; Birmingham Barclaycard Arena on December 16 and The SSE Hydro in Scotland on December 20.

Review: Madonna spectacular at Madison Square Garden in New York City
By Markos Papadatos   Sep 17, 2015 in Music
New York - On September 16, pop superstar Madonna performed at New York's Madison Square Garden, and she put on a spectacular concert.

After a witty opening set from acclaimed comedian Amy Schumer, the pop queen began her elaborate set with a noteworthy version of "Iconic," which was a true work of art. "All right, New York, are you with me?" Madonna screamed, and it is safe to say that she had her New York fans in the palm of her hand.

She continued with "Bitch I'm Madonna," where rapper Nicki Minaj appeared on a televised screen through the help of modern technology. "Are you ready to burn this place down?" Madonna asked, prior to breaking into "Burning Up."

Her dancers were dressed as nuns for "Holy Water" and she delivered a seductive performance on poles that were reminiscent of crucifixes. She incorporated a medley of her smash hit "Vogue" towards the end of the performance, which resonated well with her fans in "The Big Apple."

She sang "Devil Pray" while being tied up, backed by acoustic instruments, as an ethereal version of "Messiah" played in the background through a video screen, where the pop songstress looked as gorgeous as ever.

Madonna turned her stage into an auto body shop, with a car prop and loads of tires, for a grand scale performance of "Body Shop." "I'm not as funny as Amy Schumer, but I'm trying. Wasn't she amazing," Madonna said, praising her opening act.

"Are you having a good time, New York?" she asked, prior to saying a few curse words. "You can't play New York without swearing a lot. She shared that her following song, which she co-wrote, has no swear words, and she went on to deliver a stunning, acoustic rendition of "True Blue," which garnered her a standing ovation.

"Are you ready to go deeper?" Madonna asked, prior to breaking into a soaring performance of "Deeper and Deeper," which was followed by "Heart Break City," which was juxtaposed with "Love Don't Live Here Anymore."

She took her fans on a trip down memory lane with such classics as "Like a Virgin" and "Justify My Love," as well as "Living for Love," her newest song from Rebel Heart CD. Equally impressive were her angelic versions of "La Isla Bonita," "Dress You Up," "Into the Groove" and "Lucky Star," all of which left her audience in total awe of her timelessness and relevance in the music industry.

Madonna stripped "Who's That Girl" down to a raw and authentic, acoustic performance, while she changed the pace with her mega hits "Music," the sassy "Candy Shop" and her signature tune, "Material Girl," which was perhaps the highlight vocal of the evening.

She paid homage to the late French songstress Edith Piaf with a ukulele rendition of "La Vie En Rose," which was sheer perfection, prior to closing with her spitfire "Unapologetic Bitch," which ended in a raucous applause. For her encore, Madonna ended her lengthy set on an uplifting note with another classic, "Holiday."

"Madonna always puts on the greatest show on Earth," exclaimed Vaggelis Samaras, Madonna fan and attendee.

The Verdict

Overall, Madonna's "Rebel Heart" tour stop at New York's Madison Square Garden was utterly fantastic. The New York crowd was well aware that they were in the presence of a true musical goddess. It is no wonder that she is the best-selling female artist of all time. She constantly proves that she is able to reinvent herself decade after decade, while keeping her music fresh and unique. Madonna possessed the voice of an angel, and this is one show that should not be missed. It should be on every music fan's bucket list. Her Madison Square Garden show garnered 5 out of 5 stars.

Madonna reigns over New York’s Madison Square Garden—and reinvents her classics: EW review
B+

You don’t get Madonna tickets to see a light-hearted show. You go to watch Olympic-level choreography routines that have been exhaustively road-tested by men who pole-dance on giant crucifixes. You go to see Madge dressed up in elaborately designed samurai, matador, and flapper outfits with so much theatrical flair, they look like they were hand-stitched by the ghosts of Rogers and Hammerstein’s costume designers. You go to see if the 57-year-old can still pull off high notes that are almost as athletic as her high kicks. And if you were at Madison Square Garden last night, as Madonna kicked off a three-night run of shows in her backyard, you saw all of that. But you saw something else, too, something you might not expect. There was Madonna, kicking back on stage, strumming a ukulele–and smiling. Was she actually having a good time up there?

Finally, here was a glimpse of the not-quite-so-serious Madonna. She even set the vibe by opening with a comedian. Amy Schumer staggered onto the stage with a bottle of booze in her hands and quipped, “Who better than me to open up for Madonna? Uh… Any band?†She killed it with dirty jokes involving Katie Couric, the Kardashians, and Abraham Lincoln, warming up the crowd for a set that later found Madonna talking in a Betty Boop voice, cracking jokes with the audience (“You’re too horny for me!†she told a man wearing bull horns), and finally bringing Schumer back on stage to dance to “Unapologetic Bitch†and… er, play with her Sock Bitch puppet.

The playful mood was a surprise, since the show didn’t start that way. She opened with “Iconic,†as a bleak image of Mike Tyson stared the crowd down from a massive video screen and Madonna was lowered from the ceiling in a red and black kimono, writhing around inside a cage made of swords. In voiceover mode, we could hear her sermonizing about how creativity is being crushed by corporate machine—an ironic message for a pop star who has cultivated such a powerful brand, she now sells a Material Girl fashion line at Macy’s. Dancers dressed as gladiators descended upon the stage, in hardware masks that covered their faces, and standing before them as their queen, Madonna, looked like Daenerys Targaryn from Game of Thrones, her long wavy blonde hair flowing behind her, her arms raised up as if to say, Love me! Fear me! As visually spectacular as it was narratively heavy-handed, it felt like a callback to her last tour, MDNA, which featured a dark charade that found Madonna wielding a gun on stage. But when the song ended with video footage of the gladiators knocking over a saintly-looking Madonna statue, the tone changed. Madonna has built a career by playing with what we hold sacred, whether it’s crucifixes or underground dance crazes. Now the only sacred thing she’s tearing down is Madonna herself.

During much of the show, she seemed to revel in her refusal to give the crowd the Madonna they’d always known. The setlist was crammed with material from the new album, disappointing those who came to hear the greatest hits. When she did dip into her back catalogue, she teased the audience with medleys that fused oldies with newer tracks. “Holy Water†segued into “Vogue,†as Madonna cavorted with scantily clad nuns (played by dancers in ruffled white panties) who swung around on crucifixes that towered at three stories high. Then “Vogue†segued back into “Holy Water,†as the dancers created a Last Supper tableau. She chased a male dancer up a long spiral staircase for “Heartbreak City,†then pushed him off the top and watched him free-fall to the ground as she sulked to “Love Don’t Live Here Anymore.â€

When she did play an old favorite at its full run time, she revamped the songs so that they were unrecognizable until the lyrics came in, which might’ve confounded those who wanted to sing along. But many of those new arrangements felt fresh and exciting. She turned “Burning Up†into a rock song, playing a guitar solo on a Flying V. She infused “Deeper and Deeper†with a pulsing house undercurrent that felt contemporary again in a dance-music era where groups like Disclosure reign. Not long after lying on the hood of a car, with mechanics swirling on wheel boards around her, and performing “Body Shopâ€â€”a song so literal about its sexual intentions, it doesn’t even qualify as a double entendre—she took on “Like a Virgin,†stripping the song down to little more than her voice and a galloping bass. Her performance of that classic was refreshingly minimal, too: no elaborate set pieces, just Madonna joyfully bouncing around stage. She stuffed the microphone in her pants, ripped open her shirt to reveal a black bra (“Getting hot in here, right?â€), and dutifully humped the stage, but the whole thing was meant to be more campy than sexy, poking fun at the provocateur she was back when that song could’ve gotten her banned from the VMAs.

Madonna was winking at us—and maybe at a few others, too. She sang one of her favorite songs, “La Vie En Rose,†in French, possibly to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Edith Piaf’s birth, or maybe to rile up her rumored rival Lady Gaga, who has claimed the song as her own signature set piece. When Madonna whipped out the ukulele for “La Vie,†then gushed in a faux-naïve Betty Boop voice, “Gosh! A girl can get awful nervous under these lights!†it sounded like she was playfully taking a shot at Taylor Swift, whose golly-gosh enthusiasm and ukulele strumming defined her Speak Now tour. Madonnarecently told EW that she and Swift had planned to work on something together after teaming up for the iHeart Radio Music Awards in March, but the collaboration fell apart. Maybe there’s some bad blood?

Then again, maybe Madonna was just being Madonna, not trying to lash out at anyone in particular so much as trying to tease anyone she can. It was fitting that the final third of her show was devoted to matador themes, since Madonna has never stopped baiting her fans. She took a painstakingly long, slow walk up a few steps in her regal matador robe during “Living for Love,†intentionally antagonizing anyone in the crowd who might still be nervous that she’d repeat the famous spill she took at the Brit Awards.

But she also took pleasure in just being a goofball, whether she was pretending to throw back tequila shots during a Spanish-tinged-guitar rendition of “Into the Groove,†joining a conga line for “Dress You Up,†or dressing like a sexy Uncle Sam for the closer, “Holiday,†which arrived complete with a big confetti explosion. She even tried to riff with the crowd about her own unluckiness in love, asking the whole room, “Anyone want to get hitched?†Judging by accounts of her previous show in Montreal, the stage banter was scripted. And yet, that was just more proof that, decades after she broke onto the scene in New York, she’s still the ultimate professional, working 16-hour days just to perfect every move, every note, every line of breezy dialogue.

“I’m feeling very nostalgic,†she said toward the end of the show. “Do you people understand that I played Madison Square Garden thirty years ago?†The whole crowd erupted in cheers. “I survived!†she said, breathing hard, but also beaming. She was having fun. And, clearly, having fun was a whole lot of work.

Concert Review: On the Rebel Heart Tour, Madonna’s Still Asking, ‘Who’s That Girl?

http://www.vulture.com/2015/09/madonna-concert-review-new-york.html?mid=twitter-share-vulture

“I’m ME, motherfuckers!†Madonna declared to a sold-out Madison Square Garden last night — although, naturally, no one was arguing with her. We’d already been treated to an ornate, vaguely Asian-inspired rendition of “Bitch I’m Madonna,†and some among us had purchased $60 tank tops emblazoned with those words. Yes, Madonna has officially entered her tautological phase, and Rebel Heart, the album she’s currently touring, contains countless bald-faced references to her own legacy. There’s the weary-but-triumphant “Veni Vidi Vici,†the lyrics of which are basically just a string of Madonna-song-title puns (“I expressed myself / Came like a virgin down the aisleâ€), and the show opener “Iconic,†which flaunts her unimpeachable status while also using it to inspire her devotees to find their own greatness (“Just shine your light like a beautiful star / Show the world who you areâ€). Like the album, the Rebel Heart Tour finds Madge grappling with her history — and, it seems, having complicated feelings about what she sees in the rearview mirror.

Last night was the second date on which Amy Schumer opened the tour, and she still seemed in a state of shock. “Who better than me to open for Madonna?†she asked, beaming theatrically, before making a signature pivot towards self-deprecation: “Any band. Literally any band.†The pairing might seem odd, but when you think about it, it’s a stroke of genius on Madonna’s part: It saves her from worrying that some young pop upstart will upstage her every night, while at the same time reinforcing her singularity in the current musical landscape. (“Who could possibly open for Madonna?â€) Schumer’s set was similar to the one I saw (and loved) on the Trainwreck comedy tour. She’s as barbed as ever, still making Jessica Biel (and Alba) jokes, even if they’re now intercut with stories about meeting (and embarrassing herself in front of) Hillary Clinton and Bradley Cooper.

Before we get to the queen herself, I would like to shout out the supporting players of the Rebel Heart Tour; as ever, being one of Madonna’s dancers still seems like one of the most demanding but illustrious gigs in the business. Plus, there are so many of them! This show is a veritable clown-car of sexy priests, pole-dancing nuns, and — during a particularly inspired setpiece to go with the sprightly Rebel Heart cut “Body Shop†— sexy mechanics. (Speaking of the supporting cast, one of the best things about this concert was that Kelly Ripa and Andy Cohen were there together, and that the Jumbotron kept cutting away to them.) When Madonna is onstage, there’s no question who’s in charge; but while she’s in costume changes, Madonna has become particularly good about deflecting the spotlight to her dancers. Rather than forcing us to watch the expensively shot perfume-ad-style montages that usually run during diva-pop arena shows, Madonna gave us human spectacle: a double-jointed man doing a mesmerizing dance with a billowing sheet, pairs of dancers writhing on gravity-defying beds to the subtle tune of “Sex,†and, most impressive, some guys in top hats flying through the air on wobbly stilts that had the whole audience gasping and the gentleman in front of me, who’d spent most of the concert checking his email, suddenly staring up in rapt focus and hitting record on his phone. Also, let us pause for a moment in appreciation of Madonna’s minions, both seen and unseen. Fun fact: When Madonna is thirsty in concert, she will command, “Water, please,†and a man in a long black coat will suddenly appear presenting a bottle of Fiji water with a red crazy straw, from which Madge will take a few dainty sips before sending him away. Aspirational.

I still can’t really get behind Rebel Heart, and overall, the show leaned too heavily on new material for my taste. I don’t think I was alone in this. When I looked around the crowd during “Living for Love†— the live staging of which is pretty similar to her lackluster Grammys performance â€” more than half the audience was seated and looking visibly less than thrilled, likely thinking, I wish this were “Like a Prayer.† That’s not a great reception for the big single from the album she’s currently touring. Rebel Heart is often hindered by clumsy lyrics, and these come to the forefront live: The “Iconic†chorus of “I CAN / ICON / Two letters apart†still grates, as does all of the maudlin “HeartbreakCity†(“Now I’m in the middle of heartbreak city / ’Cause I’m in the middle of a world not prettyâ€). “Bitch I’m Madonna†was more of a crowd-pleaser, as was the dance-hall-inflected Rihanna knockoff “Unapologetic Bitch,†during which she brought a stunned audience member named David onstage, declared him “the unapologetic bitch of the night,†and awarded him the appropriate prize of a ripe banana and a public spanking. She’s HER, motherfuckers! 

One of the most disappointing moments of the night came in the middle of a performance of “Holy Water," a Rebel Heart cut that feels like a Xerox-of-a-Xerox-ed version of any Madonna song that provocatively blends sex and religion. Madonna, naturally, was flanked by a gang of nuns ascending stripper poles, clad in cutoff habits and exposed briefs. For a moment, she launched into a teasing, halfhearted verse of “Vogue†… and then just as quickly returned to an extended mix of “Holy Water,†which had already overstayed its welcome by several minutes. I’m sure Madonna must be sick to death of singing “Vogue,†“Express Yourself,†and “Like a Prayer,†but the Rebel Heart Tour’s ultimate disappointment is that she’d rather sing new songs that reference the legacy of these timeless classics than the classics themselves. You know what’s better than “Veni Vidi Viciâ€? Literally every song mentioned in “Veni Vidi Vici.â€

That’s the strange predicament of Madonna in 2015: She always wants to show how hard she’s working to impress us when, in reality, we’d be happy with so much less. Some of the best moments of the night were the most simplistically staged: an electro-pop reimagining of “Like a Virgin" played solo, an acoustic sing-along of “True Blue,†a ukulele-led rendition of “La Vie en Rose.†(My friend insisted that this last one was a subtle way of saying, “Anything Gaga can do, I can do betterâ€; I am unconvinced by this conspiracy theory but would like to put it out there for discussion.) Madonna’s current relationship with her fans is resolutely unsentimental; when she does throw you a crowd-pleasing bone, she makes it clear that you’d better work for it. An acoustic rendition of “Who’s That Girl?†began as a very sweet moment, and then soured when she chastised the audience for not knowing enough of the words. (Among the guilty parties: Kelly Ripa.)

And yet “Who’s That Girl?†was the moment I realized what I’d most love to see Madonna do next is the Back to Basics Tour — just her and a guitar and an audience pouring its heart out to every memorized line. (And also maybe a Kelly Cam to the side of the stage, where we can monitor Kelly Ripa’s every reaction.) Madonna seems to be in a complicated emotional place right now, and there’s a palpable melancholy undercutting these new songs that I wish she’d feel more comfortable exploring in her live show. After concluding “Who’s That Girl?†she sighed, “I still don’t know the answer to that question." As far as slogans go, that’s not as catchy as “Bitch, I’m Madonna†— but it felt a hell of a lot more honest. 

Madonna Concert Review: Pop Icon Takes Manhattan With "Astonishingly Impressive" NYC Tour Stop
Read more: http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/madonna-concert-review-pop-icon-takes-manhattan-with-nyc-tour-stop-2015179#ixzz3mHpBROz5 

Bitch, there’s only one Madonna. The 57-year-old Queen of Pop made that abundantly clear during a more than two hour stage spectacular last night at Madison Square Garden, the first of three NYC-area dates of her hater-silencing Rebel Heart World Tour. 

Wheeling out a die-hard fan-feeding 23 tracks — naturally, some recent thumpers off Rebel Heart, her thirteenth studio disc, and  surprisingly straight-forward, heartfelt renderings of classics she hasn’t performed live in decades — the Material Girl turned out her most astonishingly impressive live experience since 2006’s Confessions Tour. Although she was backed by a new, multi-cultural cadre of resistance band-flexible backup dancers, dressed in the finest stage gear from Gucci, Alexander Wang, and Miu Miu and accompanied by a small city’s worth of LED lights, M relied on her singular catalog of hits, unblemished dancing chops and 30 years experience as an unequaled provocateur to do the heavy lifting. 

Before showtime, a half-hour round of comedy from opener Amy Schumer lightened the mood in the arena. Here was another button-pushing woman who needed nothing more than a mic to hold the crowd in her clutches with a routine that included several jabs at herself (choice moment: comparing her looks to a hybrid of “a Cabbage Patch Kid and Tonya Hardingâ€) — and one noticeable one at former Madge bestie Gwyneth Paltrow, with Schumer mocking the Goop founder's Women’s Health cover.

Posted Image

Credit: Kevin Mazur/Getty Images for Live NationMadonna performs onstage during her "Rebel Heart" tour.

Once Madonna took the crucifix-shaped stage at about 9:50 p.m. (cut her some slack, only 20 minutes late this time!) though, it was clear the singer wasn’t kidding around. Descending from a cage of swords in the opening Game of Thrones-themed suite, she launched the show with Rebel Heart’s “Iconic†and “Bitch I’m Madonna,†showing off her way with a fan during an Asian-infused dance routine. Still, she stopped short of attempting the “fan flip†she pulled off during the Maria Antoinette-styled performance of “Vogue†at the 1990 MTV Video Music Awards.

The concert kicked into high-gear as she strapped on her heavy metal guitar and brought her loyal subjects — including onlookers Jennifer Lopez, Casper Smart, Jerry Seinfeld, Ariana Grande, and Andy Cohen â€” to their feet with 1983’s “Burning Up.†The setting then quickly turned back to her stock trade of mixing the spiritual and the sexual, with Madonna and her dancers slithering on polls in racy nun habits and reenacting the Last Supper (with an S&M twist) during “Holy Water,†“Devil Pray†and “Messiah.â€

Posted Image

Credit: Kevin Mazur/Getty Images for Live NationMadonna performs onstage during her "Rebel Heart" tour.

The rarities of Encyclopedia Madonnica kept coming after she reemerged in a Pep Boys-esque set dressed as a goth version of Sandy from Grease, singing “Body Shop†before pulling out a ukelele and letting her oft-underestimated vocals shine with an acoustic, tears-inducing take of 1986’s “True Blue.†The disco Erotica-era cut “Deeper and Deeper†followed before Madonna turned back to her vulnerable side, climbing up and down (and up and down) a spiral staircase to belt Rebel Heart’s “Heartbreak City†and an affecting “Love Don’t Live Here Anymore,†a nearly-forgotten torch song from Like a Virgin.

Posted Image

Credit: Kevin Mazur/Getty Images for Live NationJennifer Lopez and Casper Smart pose before Madonna performs onstage during her "Rebel Heart" tour.

On and on, M kept proving she’s still got the moves and the motion. The mother of four reenacted her matador act from springs' awards show circuit for “Living for Love†(phew! The cape came off without a hitch. No scary falls this time!); “La Isla Bonita,†“Into The Groove,†and “Dress You Up†were strutted out in her usual Latin-themed set; she stuck to traditional arrangements of Madonna tour regulars  â€œMaterial Girl†and “Music† while switching up the setting to Harlem’s Cotton Club circa 1925, donning a Swarvoski crystal-bedazzled flapper getup. 

Posted Image

“I’m feeling pretty nostalgic tonight,†she copped at one point. Madonna backed that up beyond her own catalog, employing her trusty ukelele for more reflective moments, including an unplugged “Who’s That Girl†(!) and a rendition of the French standard “La Vie En Rose†(Reminder: She told Us in March that seeing her daughter sing the song on the instrument has been “the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen.â€). But she swung the pendulum back to the here and now by the end, inviting Amy Schumer to escort her offstage (and giving her a sock and a banana? Madonna, please explain!) during “Unapologetic Bitch.†

Posted Image

Credit: Kevin Mazur/Getty Images for Live NationJoan Grande, Frankie J Grande and Ariana Grande pose before Madonna performs onstage during her "Rebel Heart" tour.

For the encore, Madonna reemerged draped in an American flag (a nod to her 1990 MTV Rock The Vote ad), belting the spirited “Holiday†without being able to wipe the smile from her face. There’s a double meaning there: An acknowledgment that she’s still unbeatable in every regard as a pop star, with the show acting as a supreme victory lap through a venue she noted she had first performed in 30 years prior. But it also signified what was perhaps most evident the entire time: She had the most fun she’s had onstage in recent memory, lifting her often self-seriousness from recent treks and reveling in the art of being Madonna.

Plus:

One of the most disappointing moments of the night came in the middle of a performance of “Holy Water," a Rebel Heart cut that feels like a Xerox-of-a-Xerox-ed version of any Madonna song that provocatively blends sex and religion.

For a moment, she launched into a teasing, halfhearted verse of “Vogue” …

That's so true omg but Im warming up to "Holy Water", even tho their description of the song couldn't be more spot on.

Madonna’s Concert Changed My Opinion About Her Rebel Heart Era

I get it now. And I love it.

by Christopher Rosa 9/18/2015

If you’re a true blue (pun intended) Madonna fan, then there is at least one era from her illustrious 30-year career you’d rather forget. For many, it’s 2003’s American Life, but I actually loved Madge’s sociopolitical commentary set to frantic techno slosh. Or maybe it’s 2008’s late-to-the-party Hard Candy, with its stale Timbaland beats and aggressive lollipop album cover. (Again, I didn’t hate it. In fact, “Miles Away†is one of M’s best tracks to date.)

No. For me, it was Rebel Heart. From the borderline offensive Instagram promo to the preliminary leaks, and then the album itself—inconsistent, light on effervescent dance-pop, and heavy on cringe-worthy lyrics—I loathed this era like Madonna detests hydrangeas. Coming off 2012’s MDNA, an immaculate collection of dark, bubbly EDM, Rebel Heart felt like a rush job—well, at least to me. Where was the cool, calculated Madonna with dry wit I fell in love with? Rebel Heart M definitelywasn’t her.

Notice how I’m speaking in past tense, because all of this changed Wednesday night when I attended Madonna’s Rebel Heart Tour at Madison Square Garden. Madonna is a consistently athletic showgirl, with each tour more cardio-intensive, provocative, and splashy than the last. RHT was no exception. The nearly two-hour show was a larger-than-life display of cutting-edge pop showmanship, filled to the brim with zesty costumes, intricate choreography, and a militant, rigid precision that felt other-worldly. The 17,000+ fans packed in MSG were mesmerized—hypnotized—from start to finish.

However, something about this go-around felt different from her past tours. A tangible warmth permeated Wednesday’s show—a foreign concept in live Madonna fare. Gone was her standard, “Don’t you love me?†grimace, and a heartfelt—wait for it—smile remained. For the first time in ages, it looked like Madonna was having an uninhibited blast. Wild, carefree, and a rare brand of sexy-desperate, she was both enticing and delightful to watch.

This sunshine persona was only augmented by Madonna performing several from-the-vault songs with authentic excitement. Of course, she re-imagined them to keep things fresh and current. Nonetheless, she celebrated her oldies; before, it seemed she only acknowledged them out of commitment. “Like a Virgin†was set to a bouncy synth beat; “Material Girl†received a seismic glam-rock makeover; and she even offered “Dress You Up,†“Into the Groove,†and “Lucky Star†in a Latin-tinged medley. “Deeper and Deeper†and “La Isla Bonita†felt refreshingly similar to their original counterparts. Finally, Madge is happy to indulge the nostalgia.

Nostalgia. That’s an important word for RHT. Madonna’s endearing disposition was complimented by something she told the audience before singing “Who’s That Girlâ€â€”yes, really! “I’m feeling very nostalgic,†she said. “Do you people understand that I played Madison Square Garden 30 years ago? I survived!â€

Wait, what? Madonna admitted she is a legacy artist? For a woman hellbent on always looking forward and never repeating herself, this came out of left field. And then she hit us again with more sentimentality. “The support, the love that you have all given me for over two decades. What a lucky girl am I?†she said.

Shortly after, Madonna dove into a new song, “Rebel Heart,†while fan art played in the background. That’s when it hit me: The Rebel Heart era is, hands down, Madonna’s most personal to date. The smiling, fan drawings, warm musings, and recognition of old hits—she’s never been this transparent before.

And that’s exactly what the Rebel Heart era has been since the beginning: transparent. The Instagram posts, haphazard as they may be, are Madonna’s direct connection to fans, this writer included. The leaks and irreverent promo (Drakesmooch included) have made our typically cold and distant diva more human than ever. And this tour—her most self-referential—proves Madonna is comfortable existing in two distinct spaces: the 2015 boundary-pushing pop star and the nostalgic icon unafraid to embrace ’80s cheese.

This juxtaposition reached a palpable height when Madonna performed her current song “Unapologetic B–ch†with familiar tongue-in-cheek oomph, then directly went into “Holiday†with jovial, childlike spirit. It was the perfect encore.

I left Madonna’s concert bewildered, because she is now something I never expected: accessible. Heck! She may even kiss you, as one lucky fan found out Wednesday night. And I can’t lie: The Rebel Heart era—messy, nonsensical, and head-scratching—made this happen.

How crazy am I to think this time is anything but magical?

Madonna spanked Anderson Cooper on stage, gave him a banana during Rebel Heart concert

Posted Image
  • [*] 

During her performance of “Unapologetic Bitch,†Madonna danced with the CNN host and spanked him,

before offering him a banana (which he ate).

“Anderson thanks for being my Bitch tonight!!!!â€

she wrote on Instagram after the show. “Hope you enjoyed the Banana!!!!!!†

Madonna's a Rebel Heart with Nicolas Jebran

Published September 20th, 2015 - 14:00 GMT 

Posted Image
Nicolas Jebran joins an acclaimed list of designers providing costumes for The Material Girl's Rebel Heart tour. (Instagram/Al Bawaba edit)

Has Nicolas Jebran stolen Ellie Saab's crown as the A-lister's go-to Lebanese designer for the red-carpet?

When Madonna took a spill while performing at this year's Brit Awards, she did it in style wearing a matador jacket by the Lebanese designer. Madge must've forgiven the wardrobe malfunction, because she's kicked off her Rebel Heart tour with Jebran's creations in tow.

Posted Image

(Facebook/Nicolas Jebran/Al Bawaba edit)

Madonna's choice of 41 year old Jebran for her show garb places the Lebanese designer in the company of some of the hottest designers who are also providing costumes for the Rebel Heart tour: Alessandro Michele for Gucci, Miu Miu, Prada, Jeremy Scott, Alexander Wang and Fausto Puglisi.

Beirut beginnings

After coming in second place in the fashion category of the 1999 Lebanese reality television competition Studio El Fan, Nicolas Jebran set up shop in Abu Dhabi a year later.

Launching his first line in 2001 he continued his studies in jewelry and accessories design.

Jebran began to make his name dressing Arab celebrities such as Haifa Wehbe, Maya Diab, Asala Nasri, Sherine Abdel Wahab, Cyrine Abdel Nour and Amal Maher. Returning to a base in Beirut with a fashion show entitled "The Return",

Jebran is now firmly part of the pack of the new Lebanese invasion onto the global fashion scene that includes Charbel Zoe and Rabih Kayrouz.

This new guard  joins more established Lebanese fashion houses such as Georges Chakra, Georges Hobeika, Zuhair Murad, Reem Acra and Elie Saab.

Sean Penn introduces ex-wife Madonna to daughter Dylan?

Oscar-winning actor Sean Penn reportedly introduced ex-wife Madonna to his daughter, Dylan, during the pop diva's "Rebel Heart" concert in New York City.

Oscar-winning actor Sean Penn reportedly introduced ex-wife Madonna to his daughter, Dylan, during the pop diva’s “Rebel Heart†concert in New York City.

Sean, who divorced the 57-year-old singer in 1989 after four years of marriage, took Dylan, 24, to cheer her on from the front row during her concert at New York City’s Madison Square Garden before taking the model backstage to meet the star, reported E! Online.

“He introduced Dylan to Madonna. It was the first time they had met.â€

The “Mystic River†star, who divorced Dylan’s mother Robin Wright in 2010 after 14 years of marriage, was also captured on camera by several fans smiling widely while Madonna performed her classic track “True Blue†during the gig, which she dedicated to him when it was released in 1986.

Sean asked Dylan to attend the gig after receiving a personal invitation from Madonna, according to the insider.

The 54-year-old actor, who has been single since splitting from former fiancee Charlize Theron in June, previously revealed he and his first wife are still “very friendly.â€

10 Things I Learned at Madonna’s Rebel Heart Tour

http://www.slantmagazine.com/house/article/10-things-i-learned-at-madonnas-rebel-heart-tour/P1

1. Yes, Madonna can sing.

As her shows have increasingly required her to be hoisted, flung, and swung around in the air for close to two hours every night, Madonna has in recent years relied, perhaps too heavily, on lip-synching. But she can carry a tune far better than she's typically given credit for. Despite a mouthful of those pesky gold-and-diamond-encrusted grillz, she flawlessly serenaded old pal Debi Mazar, who stood in the audience singing along, with “True Blue,†and delivered an impassioned rendition of the blistering Rebel Heart ballad “HeartBreakCity.†Perched on the edge of a stage platform, playfully swinging her leg, she even belted out “La Vie En Rose†with relative ease.

2. Fifty-seven is the new 27.

At one point, Madonna dabbed her forehead with a towel and joked that sitting down to strum a toy guitar was her favorite part of the show, but she barely missed a beat or broke a sweat throughout the 21-song setlist. With her dirty-blond extensions cascading around her shoulders, dark roots exposed, fingerless gloves, and jewel-encrusted blazer and ankle boots, she was the spitting image of the title character from Desperately Seeking Susan, in which she made her big-screen debut an astonishing three decades ago.

3. “Deeper and Deeper†belongs among Madonna’s classics.

With a catalogue as deep and wide as Madonna's, it would be easy for gems like Erotica's “Deeper and Deeper†to get lost to pop history. So it was a pleasant surprise to spot this one on the setlist and, aside from some amped-up EDM beats and a simplified flamenco guitar solo, hear it performed so faithfully.

4. Being Madonna (and working for her) is dangerous business.

As they say in Texas, everything is bigger on a Madonna tour…including the liability and personal injury insurance policy. Coverage must include, but isn't limited to, performers being thrown off spiral staircases and tossed down giant LED screens, scaling and hanging precariously from poles, swinging back and forth from 10-foot stilts, and wearing capes with a recent history of violently yanking superstars to the ground from behind in front of an audience of millions.

5. Madonna really likes “Candy Shop.â€

Though the Hard Candy opener was never released as a single, Madonna has a peculiar fondness for the track, having performed it during all of her last three tours. The singer's tenacity and obvious enthusiasm for the song has practically willed it into becoming a staple, fitting inconspicuously between her signature hits “Music†and “Material Girl.â€

6. Madonna really hates “Take a Bow.â€

Madge dusted off her '80s hits “True Blue†and “Who's That Girl†for the first time in 28 years. But some of her biggest '90s ballads, from “This Used to Be My Playground†to “I'll Remember†to “Take a Bow†(her longest running #1 hit ever), have still, to this day, never been performed on tour. Sure, they don't fit obviously into the pop star's latter-day dance-floor-driven output, but if the queen of reinvention isn't willing to find a way to put a new spin on these old chestnuts, there must be a good reason. With songs as timeless as these, it's just hard to imagine what that could possibly be.

7. You’re never too old to take a “Holiday.â€

The only song to be performed during all or part of every Madonna tour aside from one, “Holiday†reclaimed its rightful place as the closing number during the Rebel Heart Tour. Over the years, Madonna's first bona fide smash has been reimagined as everything from a disco bauble to an ironic military march to an EDM banger, but while a Latin-style medley of “Dress You Up,†“Into the Groove,†and “Lucky Star†proves she isn't exactly becoming a purist, she refreshingly played it straight for her perennial call for a little celebration.

8. Madonna is more comfortable on stage than ever.

Madonna is a self-proclaimed showgirl, but despite a show clearly choreographed down to each flick of a wrist, she's never seemed more unscripted. From the call-and-response exchanges with the audience during an acoustic version of “Who's That Girl†to the addition of a new song to the setlist (a stirring, if pitchy, rendition of shoulda-been-a-sleeper-hit “Ghosttown,†which brought seemingly genuine tears to her eyes, a development that seemed to surprise even her), the Queen of Pop never looked so unguarded and at ease.

9. Madonna might be running out of ideas.

You'd be forgiven for thinking Madonna had already staged a show with scantily clad nuns twerking on cross-shaped stripper poles. From that perhaps too on-the-nose provocation to the multimedia prologue and guitar-wielding riot-grrrl shtick, Madonna seems to be recycling themes and concepts in ways that, while her contemporaries remained dogged in their adherence to formula, she managed to successfully avoid for the first few decades of her career.

10. …But she’s still the greatest performer of our time.

“It's lonely at the top, but it ain't crowded,†Madonna quipped, tongue in cheek, during a jazz-infused version of “Music.†As far back as 1990's iconic, game-changing Blond Ambition Tour, her shows have always been theatrical, blending traditional rock-concert tropes with narrative storytelling; Rebel Heart, though, takes it to another level, equal parts Cirque du Soleil, Broadway musical, and burlesque—an immersive experience that redefines the meaning of maximalism.

Monday, September 21, 2015
LIZ SMITH: Madonna's "Rebel Heart" is Still Beating

ONE MIGHT say this has been Madonna's motto, or at least the "taking chances" part of it. (Madonna doesn't seem to ever relax enough to have fun!) Over the years of her long career, Madonna has rarely played it safe. There's always been this perverse push-pull between the star and her fans — watch me, I'm going to do something fabulous, now keep watching, because I'm going to make you all crazy. And maybe not in a good way. (The "Sex" book ... the Letterman debacle ... wearing those damn grills on her teeth!) Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image This tension notwithstanding, her career has spanned three super-successful decades, but it has often left her admirers scratching their heads. They want her to be more accessible, "nicer," play ALL the hits and stop experimenting with her music. They want her to be Cher. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) Madonna does exactly as she pleases, always has, always will, so this frustration seems pointless. Especially if you have followed her career since 1983, as I have. Or even since 1990, or 2000. She's Madonna, these hoes should know! Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image NOW comes the star's "Rebel Heart" tour, which hit Madison Square Garden like a glorious punch in the jaw last Wednesday night. Is she ""different?" Yes. Has she taken one bit of advice? Most unlikely. This concert — her best, I think, since "The Girlie Show" — is simply what she wanted to do in this moment. (Two years from now, she might get all dark and broody on us. With guns!) Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image MADONNA'S shows have always had extraordinary set pieces, thrilling sections, but too often she indulged her penchant for, well — doing exactly as she pleased, and alienating many in the audience. (Although this hasn't stopped her tours from being mega-hits.) "Rebel Heart," beautifully mixes songs from her current album with classics such as "True Blue" (people were crying to finally hear her sing this early hit) ... "Burning Up" ... "Deeper and Deeper" ... "Who's That Girl" ... "Like a Virgin" ... "Dress You Up, "Into The Groove, "Lucky Star" ... "La Isla Bonita" ... and ta-da! "Material Girl," which she offers in high glamour — not the video version, a la Marilyn, but as a 1930s vamp, kicking those panting men down steep slides, as she belts out the famous lyrics. ("Cause the boy with the cold hard cash is always Mr. Right.") She gives these oldies respect, too. Not performing them exactly as she once did, but not rendering them unrecognizable. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image   On stage through the years ... Posted ImagePosted Image The "Rebel Heart" songs are integrated with care, and the super-enthusiastic MSG crowd knew every lyric to "Devil Pray" ... "Holy Water" ... "Iconic" ... "Unapologetic Bitch," and "Heartbreak City" (which she mashed up brilliantly with another oldie "Love Don't Live Here Anymore.")  Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image SHE looked great, she sounded great, she moved wonderfully and without the effortful "athletics" that have (in my opinion) marred her dancing in recent years. She was fluid and graceful — even in high heels. If perhaps there was a little less dancing, that was all to the good, as she has rarely used her voice so well. There were no political statements, no pointless profanity, nothing especially sexual — I mean, it's Madonna, her mere presence spells sex. But nothing made you roll your eyes, clutch your head and wonder, "Why, M,why?" And this audience stayed by its seats, standing for two hours. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image There were very few annoying wanderers. She ended with a rousing "Holiday, wrapped in an American flag. And there was nothing ironic or disrespectful about it, either. Who is a greater all-American success story than Bay City Michigan's Madonna?

And, much to my pleasure, Madonna did have her Dietrich moment, as I have always yearned for. She sat on stage, with a guitar, and performed a moving rendition of "La Vie en Rose." She really can't sing, say her critics. Bull. The woman can sing. (I don't expect Madonna to wedge herself into a beaded gown and whisper out sultry ballads, but — she could if she wanted to!) Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image "REBEL Heart" is fun, just fun. Madonna seems joyous herself, full of energy and vitality — no strain, no pain. (No pain that's obvious, anyway.) The costumes, sets and amazing dancers take second place to the positive vibrations Madonna sends out. If it's acting, then she is a far, far better actress than she has ever been credited. The star seems to have recaptured the effervescence of her early days, when fame was was shiny and new, not yet a burden, and the world she declared she wanted to conquer, was waiting for her. 

Madonna is a great showman, and a great artist. Period. Deal with it, bitches.
The two words critics love to use about Madonna — always have — are "desperate" and "over." If what I saw last week is desperate and over, please, sir, may I have some more?

"Rebel Heart's" next stop is Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, on the 24th.  Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image P.S. Actress/comic Amy Schumer was Madonna's opening act, and she was a profane riot. (Madonna also pulled her up onstage during the "Holiday" finale.) Since Madonna is less overt this time out, Schumer supplies the raunch. I don't know how she'll play in the middle of the country, but Amy is perfect for big cosmopolitan cities. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Madonna wows adoring fans at Centre Vidéotron in Quebec City

http://www.lifeinquebec.com/madonna-wows-adoring-fans-at-centre-videotron-in-quebec-city-10786/

With over 300 million records sold worldwide and recognised as the best-selling female recording artist of all time, Madonna Louise Ciccone was back in Quebec City.

Hard to believe this woman is 57 years old. She doesn’t look it, doesn’t act it, and has more energy than some people thirty years her junior.

After performing on the Plains of Abraham to mixed reviews back in the summer of 2012, Madonna was back in Quebec City for a show at the Centre Vidéotron.

12,000+ fans came out to see the ‘Queen of Pop’ and they got everything they could have hoped for.

The show kicked on after an early faux pas – Madonna, displaying a momentary lapse in concentration by confusing Quebec City with Montreal before quickly correcting herself. â€˜My brain is burning up’ she joked.

The show was magic, the sets elaborate, the costume changes outlandish, and the woman herself raunchy, energetic, and constantly on the move.

She delivered an (as expected) expletive-riddled performance. â€˜Are you with me motherfuckers?’

The dancers, of which there were many, added to the experience. It has to be said they probably have the most demanding boss in the business. Some of these dancers would be 30-35 years her junior but they needed to be fit to keep up with one of the hardest working artists out there. And they did, and didn’t stop.

Toughest dancing gig out there. You bet.

On her Rebel Heart Tour, The Queen of Pop performed songs from her latest album including Bitch I’m Madonna, Iconic, Body Shop, Immuninati, Unapolgetic Bitch, Devil Pray, and Holy Water.

The crowd remained seated for most of those tracks, but did get to their feet when the older songs were given an airing. Like a Virgin might seem like an odd choice for a woman in her mid-50’s, with four children of her own, but this is Madonna, and it worked. There was plenty of swearing, gyrating, and interaction with the crowd.

True Blue, Who’s That Girl, La Isla Bonita, and Material Girl were performed to much appreciation.

Who’s That Girl was particularly special. We already know this woman can sing (over 300 million records sold worldwide attest to that), but the acoustic version of this track was spectacular. Just the woman herself perched on a bar stool with her ukelele.

She brought the house down with her version of the Edith Piaf classic â€˜La Vie en rose.‘ Singing in French with the crowd joining in, this woman knew her audience.

The acoustic versions of her songs showed Madonna‘s true talent.

Although not to the taste of some, perhaps an acoustic tour might be on the cards down the line.

There were three ladies in front of me, roughly the same age as Madonna, and I’d hazard a guess had perhaps taken advantage of the refreshing beverages on offer, who were there for some more physical activity. Powerful, acoustic offerings not for them. â€˜Awaille, on veut danser’ they exclaimed as they slumped further into their chairs in no fit state to dance at all.

I think they’d have liked a prayer. The didn’t get one and neither did we.

With the stage full of dancers and the audience on their feet, the icon, initially draped in a Canadian flag and then a Quebec one ended the evening with Holiday.

Archived