Has anyone here read Video Slut, Sharon Oreck's book on her years as a video producer for Limelight ? 

It's hilarious, the shooting of Like a Prayer is the one she goes onto details the most. We will never see the plunging from the diving board. First it had to be transfered from film to video and they chose what they transfered from the reels and why it was not in the video is because one cam had no roll anymore and what the other captured was a scared Madonna, awful background and a lot of grips from the crew. Something tells me this is why she never did a video with Lambert again. It's extremely funny told by Oreck whom sounds like Edina Moonsoon, especially when she climbs on that diving board.

But Madonna's shoots are pieces of cake compared to Janet's Nasty, the recount of Joe Jackson's behaviour is scary. And the shooting of  In The Closet is hilarious, Naomi is mischivious and Michael is....well, Michael Jackson but Herb Ritts is another weirdo too. 

There's also a chapter on Glamourous Life which is a put down of Prince. 

Madonna is the one who gets out of it unscathed, Janet too but more like feeling sorry for her as you can picture how awful her father was and told by an outsider witness this time.

It's a must read for fans of each.

On 10/4/2024 at 1:10 AM, Roland Barthes said:

Here are some bits from the Like A Prayer shoot. I'll put some bits from In The closet and Nasty in Michael and Janet's respective threads

prayer1.png

2.png

prayer3.png

prayer4.png

Wow thanks , so we get to know that Like a Prayer was actually shot on 12 December, 1988! So the song must have been recorded much earlier! 

On 9/24/2024 at 10:59 PM, Roland Barthes said:

Was she already chasing a part in A League Of Their Own with this nod to Laverne & Shirley ?

Madonna never chased the part, Penny has always said she had another actress in the role who pulled out when her tv pilot got greenlit. She then went to Madonna (Just prior to her trip to Cannes) and asked her to be in it. M signed on to the film May 31, 1991. 

17 hours ago, Erotico said:

Wow thanks , so we get to know that Like a Prayer was actually shot on 12 December, 1988! So the song must have been recorded much earlier! 

She started working on the album proper after Speed the Plow. From around Sep 88. By all accounts it was fast process. I'm assuming she had most of the demo work done by Sep 1988 and it was mostly recording and mixing being done.

In terms of the video we have the onset footage with clapper board that shows Jan 20, 1989. Is it possible they re-shot the video?

8 minutes ago, me1981 said:

She started working on the album proper after Speed the Plow. From around Sep 88. By all accounts it was fast process. I'm assuming she had most of the demo work done by Sep 1988 and it was mostly recording and mixing being done.

In terms of the video we have the onset footage with clapper board that shows Jan 20, 1989. Is it possible they re-shot the video?

Isn’t the demo tape date february 4, 1988?

8 minutes ago, Madonnino said:

Isn’t the demo tape date february 4, 1988?

I couldn't remember but sounds right. So yeah I think mostly the recording/mixing was done post Speed the Plow. Possibly she had already done some recording prior to September 1988. Not sure.