By The Decade: The 80s (Results Countdown)

angelamanda623

While tomorrow starts the OFFICIAL countdown, with the first 5 "clues", I will put my finger on the trigger and get you hyped with some "trivia":

Four songs got no votes at all:

Act Of Contrition

Ain't No Big Deal

I Know It, and

Jimmy Jimmy

Four songs only got one vote each, so should also be determined to be "out of the countdown":

Each Time You Break My Heart

Pretender

Shoo-Bee-Doo, and

Stay

Eight songs got votes by all who participated (though the stand on their countdown will determine whether they are even in the top 10):

Express Yourself

Holiday 

Into The Groove

Material Girl

Oh Father

Open Your Heart

Pray For Spanish Eyes, and

Who's That Girl

giphy.gif

Before the rules of the countdown/game are announced, let me speak of the songs that did NOT make the top 30:  

37.  Love Don't Live Here Anymore (from 'Like A Virgin', 28.5)

36.  Think Of Me (from 'Madonna', 28)

35.  Pray For Spanish Eyes (from 'Like A Prayer', 26.6)

34.  Where's The Party (from 'True Blue', 24.75)

33.  True Blue (from 'TB', 23.5)

32.  Physical Attraction (from 'M', 22.67)

31.  Promise To Try (from 'LAP', 21.75)

As you can see, the lower the score that the song got/the higher that it was on the countdown, that is the calculation system that I used.  As announced, this is not only a countdown, but it is a game.  As for the rules:

1.  Every other night, I will list five clues, a clue for each song that made the top 30.  For example, tonight's countdown will start from number 30 to number 26.  

2.  Each consecutive night, I will tell you the songs for those clues and their position on the chart; again, tonight being #s 30 to 26.

3.  For the game portion, the first person to MESSAGE me with the most correct answers will be able to replace a song with another of their choice (from the 80s) or change the position of a song.  For example, if a person loves "Think Of Me", she or he can say well damn! that should have been in the top 30 and poof! make it so.

4.  However, the winner can only choose from the songs that are already in position.  For example, whoever wins tonight can replace #s 30 to 26 with that example #36 "Think Of Me".  

5.  Yes, those songs that are listed in the first message of this discussion (Act of Contrition, Ain't No Big Deal, etc.) ARE up for play.

6.  In essence, this game may make our new, "permanent" list much different from our original, "temporary" list.

7.  The person who gets to make the change will be announced on those nights that the actual song titles are announced.

SO......LET'S GET GOING!!

30.  Although she also sang "Into The Groove" and "Holiday" at Live Aid, this song was introduced/sung for the first time live.

29.  This song was released by Sire Records on January 23, 1985, as the second single from 'Like A Virgin'.

28.  This song was inspired by Patrick Leonard's daughter.  Its release was limited to the United Kingdom.

27.  Women's organizations and others in the "family planning" field criticized Madonna for this song, while groups opposed to abortion saw the song as having a positive message.

26.  This song was originally titled "State Of Matrimony"; its lyrical content made the message of the song perfectly clear.

There is a bit of confusion on how the rules to move around/replace songs, so I will clarify:

With whatever song you want to move up, since obviously you would not want to move a song down, you are allowed to do a simple switcharoo, or you can put that song in the desired spot, kick the song that was already there to the bottom concurrently moving every other song up one.

For example, if you wanted to move up #32 "Physical Attraction" to #26, then you would either move #26 to the #32 slot, a simple switch, or move #26 all the way to #37, therefore moving #37 "Love Don't Live Here Anymore" onwards up one spot.  

I sincerely hope that clarifies the issue.  Also, remember that only the recent songs/slots are currently up for play.  Right now, only positions (#37) to #26 are up for grabs.  Though, of course, in the end #s 31-37 will not make our final "permanent" list.

AND SO THE COUNTDOWN STARTS...

giphy.gif

"Make love not war we say/It's easy to recite"

30.  from 'True Blue':  Love Makes The World Go Round (20)

giphy.gif

"Some boys kiss me/Some boys hug me"

29.  from 'Like A Virgin':  Material Girl (19.6)

220px-Dearjessiemusicvideo.jpg

"Baby face don't grow so fast/Make a special wish that will always last"

28.  from 'Like A Prayer':  Dear Jessie (18.67)

giphy.gif

"Our luck is running out of time/You're not in love with me anymore"

27.  from 'Like A Prayer':  Till Death Do Us Part (18)

giphy.gif

"Papa I know you're going to be upset/'Cause I was always your little girl"

26.  from 'True Blue':  Papa Don't Preach (18.25)

First Move:  NowRadiate with moving "Papa Don't Preach" higher

FEEL FREE TO DISCUSS.

MORE TRIVIA!!  (Remember to MESSAGE me in your answers by 6 pm EST Monday night, as well as what you would like to do in case you get "lucky")...  There will be six clues tonight as two songs tied for #23.

25.  Although written by Lisa Stevens and Curtis Hudson of the group Pure Energy, this track was offered to Madonna by her producer "Jellybean" Benitez when she was looking for a "hit" to include on her debut album.

24.  Regarding this ballad, Madonna claimed that it was "me dealing with all authority figures in my life".

23.  A duo with another artist that I truly love, Madonna said, "We ended up writing it long-distance, because I had to be in L.A. and he couldn't leave Minneapolis..."

and

23.  This track was dedicated to actor James Cagney and named after the movie from 1949.

22.  The Parents Music Resource Center (PMRC) named this hit as one of their "Filthy 15" songs with objectionable content in 1985.

21.  Although written solely by Madonna, this song was never released in the United States per the request of Sire Records.  

giphy.gif

Can I please get some receipts that Till Death Do Us Part was originally called State of Matrimony? I've been a seriously die hard fan for almost 30 years, I've got every book, every biography, every interview and I've never heard of that before. Madonna seems a little too sophisticated to give such a basic name to a demo.

Happy to be proved wrong of course

Can I please get some receipts that Till Death Do Us Part was originally called State of Matrimony? I've been a seriously die hard fan for almost 30 years, I've got every book, every biography, every interview and I've never heard of that before. Madonna seems a little too sophisticated to give such a basic name to a demo.

Happy to be proved wrong of course

Hi there McCarthy, I will be happy to get back to your question once I have some time :)

AND SO THE COUNTDOWN CONTINUES...

giphy.gif

"It's funny that way, you can get used/To the tears and the pain"

25.  from 'Like A Prayer':  Oh Father (16.4)

madonna.jpg

"Are you wasting my time, are you just being kind/Oh no baby my love isn't blind"

24.  (tied) from 'Like A Prayer':  Love Song (16.33)

wtgt_wh01.jpg

"Get up stand tall/Put your back up against the wall"

24.  (tied) from 'True Blue':  White Heat (16.33)

giphy.gif

"You've got style/That's what all the girls say"

23.  from 'Like A Virgin': Dress You Up (16.25)

hqdefault.jpg

"I'm a gambler and I will take you by surprise/Gambler, I'll aim this straight between your eyes"

22.  from 'Vision Quest':  Gambler (16)

giphy.gif

"If we took a holiday/Took some time to celebrate"

21.  from 'Madonna':  Holiday (16.8)

Second Move:  NowRadiate with moving "Holiday" higher

FEEL FREE TO DISCUSS.

NOTE THAT A BIG CHANGE IS COMING, BECAUSE "GAMBLER" HAS MOVED ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM!  (Will show this change ASAP.)

20.  Inspired by the song "Everybody Is A Star" from 1970, this tune was initially rejected during the True Blue recording sessions.

19.  Although part of the 'Who's That Girl' soundtrack, this song has never been performed live.

18.  This song has been covered by many other artists, including Mexican recording artist Byanka and French recording artist Alizee.

17.  This track was nominated for both "Best Song from a Motion Picture" at the 1988 Grammy Awards and "Best Original Song" at the 1988 Golden Globe Awards.

16.  Included as the B-side for "Cherish", a remix was also contributed to the album 'Red Hot + Dance'.

REMEMBER to send in your answers as soon as possible (by 6 pm tomorrow night) by MESSAGING me.  Also, include what you choose to do:  a simple switch with another song to move it up, or to move a song to the bottom for your choice to take its spot.

OH WOW!  THINGS HAVE CHANGED...

we are going to go back to #30, because correct answers have moved things around quite a bit

37.  Supernatural (15)

36.  Gambler

35.  Love Don't Live Here Anymore

34.  Think Of Me

33.  Pray For Spanish Eyes

32.  Where's The Party

31.  True Blue 

hqdefault.jpg

"You say that you need my love/And you're wantin' my body I don't mind"

30.  from 'Madonna':  Physical Attraction

hqdefault.jpg

"Little girl don't you forget her face/Laughing away your tears"

29.  from 'Like A Prayer':  Promise To Try

giphy.gif

28.  from 'True Blue':  Love Makes The World Go Round

giphy.gif

27.  from 'Like A Virgin':  Material Girl

26.  from 'Like A Prayer':  Dear Jessie

giphy.gif

25.  from 'Like A Prayer':  Till Death Do Us Part

giphy.gif

"Papa I know you're going to be upset/Cause I was always your little girl"

24.  from 'True Blue':  Papa Don't Preach

giphy.gif

23.  from 'Like A Prayer':  Oh Father

madonna.jpg

"Are you wasting my time, are you just being kind/Oh no baby my love isn't blind"

22.  (tied) from 'Like A Prayer':  Love Song

giphy.gif

22.  (tied) from 'True Blue':  White Heat

giphy.gif

21.  from 'Like A Virgin':  Dress You Up

giphy.gif

20.  from 'Madonna': Holiday

madonna+spotlight+you+can+dance+japan.jp

"No one knows you better than you know yourself/Do the thing you want don't wait for someone else"

19.  from 'You Can Dance':  Spotlight (15.67)

giphy.gif

"Can't stop thinking about you babe, can't stop/Can't stop screaming and shouting your name, can't stop"

18.  from 'Who's That Girl':  Can't Stop

giphy.gif

"Last night I dreamt of San Pedro/Just like I'd never gone, I knew the song"

17.  from 'True Blue':  La Isla Bonita

giphy.gif

"When you see her, say a prayer and kiss your heart goodbye/She's trouble, in a word get closer to the fire"

16.  from 'Who's That Girl':  Who's That Girl

Third Move:  NowRadiate with moving "Supernatural" all the way to the bottom

FEEL FREE TO DISCUSS.

AND SEND ME YOUR ANSWERS!!

THERE WILL BE SEVEN CLUES TODAY, AS BOTH #15 AND #12 HAD TIES.  

15.  (tie) Madonna claimed to have been inspired by actor James Stewart from the film Rear Window while writing the lyrics of this song.  It reached the top ten in Belgium, Ireland, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom.  

15.  (tied) From the 'Like A Virgin' album, this song is about determination and picking yourself up from disappointments.

14.  This was her third number one single on the Billboard Hot 100 and her first number one on the Adult Contemporary chart.

13.  Compared to Sister Sledge's "We Are Family", Prince played guitar for this song although he remained uncredited.

12.  (tie) A black-and-white music video, directed by photographer Herb Ritts in Malibu, California, accompanied this song.

12.  (tie) Marketing for this song led the world to believe that Madonna was black.  This song has been performed numerous times.

11.  Covered by different artists, this track has been referenced in such movies as Reservoir Dogs and Moulin Rouge!. 

REMEMBER to send in your answers as soon as possible (by 6 pm tomorrow night) by MESSAGING me.  Also, include what you choose to do:  a simple switch with another song to move it up, or to move a song to the bottom for your choice to take its spot.

giphy.gif

OVER AND OVER, WHICH WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE TIED AT #15, HAS BEEN MOVED TO #35...

watch for its replacement

35.  Over And Over (15)

giphy.gif

"Should have left you standing right where you stood/Should have let you go, should have had the sense to know"

15.  (tied)  from 'Who's That Girl':  The Look Of Love (14)

hqdefault.jpg

"You abandoned me/Love don't live here anymore"

15.  (tied) from 'Like A Virgin':  Love Don't Live Here Anymore

live-to-tell-video-set-herb-ritts.jpg

"I have a tale to tell/Sometimes it gets so hard to hide it well"

14.  from 'True Blue':  Live To Tell (13.75)

giphy.gif

"I got brothers, I got some sisters too/Stuck in the middle tell you what I'm gonna do"

13.  from 'Like A Prayer':  Keep It Together (13)

giphy.gif

"So tired of broken hearts and losing at this game/Before I start this dance"

12.  (tied) from 'Like A Prayer':  Cherish (12.75)

giphy.gif

"I know you've been waiting/Yeah I've been watching you"

12.  (tied) from 'Madonna':  Everybody (12.75)

giphy.gif

"I made it through the wilderness/Somehow I made it through"

11.  from 'Like A Virgin':  Like A Virgin (12.67)

Fourth Move:  NowRadiate with exchanging "Over And Over" with "Love Don't Live Here Anymore"

FEEL FREE TO DISCUSS.

THE LAST 10 SONGS WILL BE IN OUR ULTIMATE COUNTDOWN, AS WE WILL BE DOING THE SAME THING FOR THE 90s, THE 2000s, AND THE 2010s!!  OF COURSE, IF THESE SONGS ARE MOVED DOWN OR "REPLACED", THEN THEIR REPLACEMENT WILL MAKE IT INSTEAD. (Remember to MESSAGE me in your answers by 6 pm EST tomorrow night, as well as what you would like to do in case you get "lucky")...  

10.  Although she performed this hit on her debut tour, she did not include it in the set list again until 2004's 'Re-Invention Tour'.

09.  This song, written by Gardner Cole and Peter Rafelson, was originally intended for Cyndi Lauper, although it was never played to her.

08.  The lyrics to this tune make reference to Madonna's 1985 single "Into The Groove" and have three parts to the vocal harmony.

07.  Initially, Warner Bros. did not want to release this song as a single because they were afraid that it would detract attention away from her next studio album 'Like A Virgin'.

06.  This song was written by Madonna and produced by Reggie Lucas.  During recording, she was not impressed with Lucas' direction of the song, so she called up her then-boyfriend "Jellybean" Benitez to change it according to her direction.

TOMORROW THE 80s COUNTDOWN ENDS...

the Top 10 has already changed, also due to correct answers, therefore making 

"Crazy For You"  (10.5) #31, rather than #7, which also allows

"True Blue" to move into our countdown

BUT I WILL DO BOTH THE ORIGINAL AND PERMANENT COUNTDOWN, WITH FULL POMP AND CIRCUMSTANCE, TOMORROW

giphy.gif

10.  from 'Like A Virgin':  Like A Virgin

this song was NOT part of my top 30:  while I can definitely understand

why it's a classic, the groove overall just does not sit well with me

madonnaburningupshot.jpg

"Don't put me off cause I'm on fire/And I can't quench my desire"

09.  from 'Madonna':  Burning Up (12.5)

also not a part of my top 30 (hey! I'm just the tabulator here),

still it would have been very close, it is a great dance track

giphy.gif

"I see you on the street and you walk on by/You make me want to hang my head down and cry"

08.  from 'True Blue':  Open Your Heart (11.6)

#11 on my list, any true Madonna fan knows that there is just no way of denying this song:

light and upbeat, with a true "fairy-tale" kind of video

giphy.gif

"I've got the moves baby, you got the motion/If we got together we'd be causing a commotion"

07.  from 'Who's That Girl':  Causing A Commotion (11.25)

at the top of my list for the 80s but, then again, I loved EVERYTHING to do with the WTG era;

the performance at the Blonde Ambition tour was classic too

giphy.gif

"You must be my lucky star/'Cause you shine on me wherever you are"

06.  from 'Madonna':  Lucky Star (10.25)

#5 on my list, to be honest I was sure that this song was not going to make it anywhere near the top 10

(I know some of you haters are gonna hate lol), but was quite delighted to see that it made it just a little bit lower than my score

Fourth Move:  NowRadiate with exchanging "Over And Over" with "Love Don't Live Here Anymore"

Fifth move:  NowRadiate with moving "Crazy For You" to #31

FEEL FREE TO DISCUSS.

THIS WILL BE YOUR LAST CHANCE, AND YOU ARE LETTING

THIS COUNTDOWN BELONG TO NOWRADIATE  :fight: 

THE LAST 10 SONGS WILL BE IN OUR ULTIMATE COUNTDOWN, AS WE WILL BE DOING THE SAME THING FOR THE 90s, THE 2000s, AND THE 2010s!!  OF COURSE, IF THESE SONGS ARE MOVED DOWN OR "REPLACED", THEN THEIR REPLACEMENT WILL MAKE IT INSTEAD. (Remember to MESSAGE me in your answers by 6 pm EST tomorrow night, as well as what you would like to do in case you get "lucky")...  

05.  A music video was originally intended for this song, but a a video of comprising clips from other videos was released in the United Kingdom instead.

04.  The accompanying music video for this track, which was directed by David Fincher, was inspired by the Fritz Lang classical Metropolis.

03.  The Andrae Crouch gospel choir sang on this track, but they refused to show for the video.  That didn't matter, though, as this tune still won the Viewer's Choice Award at the 1989 MTV Music Video Awards.

02.  According to the book 1000 UK #1 Hits, Stephen Bray was having trouble writing the bridge for this song when Madonna walked into the studio, grabbed the microphone and sang "live out your fantasy here with me".

01.  After hearing this song, Seymour Stein, head of Sire Records, declared "...The passion that she put into that song, I thought, there's no stopping this girl."

giphy.gif

TA DA!  AND SO THE COUNTDOWN ENDS...

watch for the Original countdown bump after the "Permanent" list,

but because of the trivia game, times they have'a changed!

ENJOY!

giphy.gif

"Swaying room as the music starts/Strangers making the most of the dark"

30.  from 'Vision Quest':  Crazy For You (10.5)

giphy.gif

"I've had other guys/I've looked into their eyes"

29.  from 'True Blue':  True Blue (23.5)

hqdefault.jpg

"You say that you need my love/And you're wantin' my body I don't mind"

28.  from 'Madonna':  Physical Attraction (22.67)

tumblr_laux7tYkU41qbcvjmo1_500.jpg

"Little girl don't you forget her face/Laughing away your tears"

27.  from 'Like A Prayer':  Promise To Try (21.75)

giphy.gif

26.  from 'True Blue':  Love Makes The World Go Round (20)

giphy.gif

25.  from 'Like A Virgin':  Material Girl (19.6)

24.  from 'Like A Prayer':  Dear Jessie (18.67)

giphy.gif

23.  from 'Like A Prayer':  Till Death Do Us Part (18)

giphy.gif

"Papa I know you're going to be upset/'Cause I was always your little girl"

22.  from 'True Blue':  Papa Don't Preach (18.25)

giphy.gif

21.  from 'Like A Prayer':  Oh Father (16.4)

Photo_Oct_09_9_45_46_AM.jpg?resize=612%2

"Are you wasting my time,are you just being kind/Oh no baby my love isn't blind"

20.  (tied) from 'Like A Prayer':  Love Song (16.33)

giphy.gif

20.  (tied) from 'True Blue':  White Heat (16.33)

giphy.gif

19.  from 'Like A Virgin':  Dress You Up (16.25)

giphy.gif

18.  from 'Madonna':  Holiday (16.8)

hqdefault.jpg

"No one knows you better than you know yourself/Do the thing you want don't wait for someone else"

17.  from 'You Can Dance':  Spotlight (15.67)

giphy.gif

"Can't stop thinking about you babe, can't stop/Can't stop screaming and shouting your name, can't stop"

16.  from 'Who's That Girl':  Can't Stop (15.5)

giphy.gif

"Last night I dreamt of San Pedro/Just like I'd never gone, I knew the song"

15.  from 'True Blue':  La Isla Bonita (15.25)

giphy.gif

"When you see her, say a prayer and kiss your heart goodbye/She's trouble, in a word get closer to the fire"

14.  from Who's That Girl:  Who's That Girl (15.2)

giphy.gif

"Should have left you standing right where you stood/Should have let you go, should have had the sense to know"

13.  (tied) from 'Who's That Girl':  The Look Of Love (14)

hqdefault.jpg

"You abandoned me/Love don't live here anymore"

13.  (tied) from 'Like A Virgin':  Love Don't Live Here Anymore (28.5)

live-to-tell-video-set-herb-ritts.jpg

"I have a tale to tell/Sometimes it gets so hard to hide it well"

12.  from 'True Blue':  Live To Tell (13.75)

giphy.gif

"I got brothers, I got some sisters too/Stuck in the middle tell you what I'm gonna do"

11.  from 'Like A Prayer':  Keep It Together (13)

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

giphy.gif

"So tired of broken hearts and losing at this game/Before I start this dance"

10.  (tied) from 'Like A Prayer':  Cherish (12.75)

giphy.gif

"I know you've been waiting/Yeah I've been watching you"

10.  (tied) from 'Madonna':  Everybody (12.75)

giphy.gif

09.  from 'Like A Virgin':  Like A Virgin (12.67)

madonnaburningupshot.jpg

"Don't put me off 'cause I'm on fire/And I can't quench my desire"

08.  from 'Madonna':  Burning Up (12.5)

giphy.gif

"I see you on the street and you walk on by/You make me want to hang my head down and cry"

07.  from 'True Blue':  Open Your Heart (11.6)

giphy.gif

"I've got the moves baby, you got the motion/If we got together we'd be causing a commotion"

06.  from 'Who's That Girl':  Causing A Commotion (11.25)

giphy.gif

"You must be my lucky star/'Cause you shine on me wherever you are"

05.  from 'Madonna':  Lucky Star (10.25)

madonna-angel-j3373b.jpg

"Why am I standing on a cloud/Every time you're around"

04.  from 'Like A Virgin':  Angel (9.75)

#2 on my list:  this song started it ALL for me, to say I am biased would be an understatement

giphy.gif

"Don't go for second best baby/Put your love to the test you know, you know you've got to"

03.  from 'Like A Prayer':  Express Yourself (8.6)

#27 on my list, barely there, but was it a surprise to me that the rest of you loved this song?  Hardly.

giphy.gif

"Life is a mystery/Everyone must stand alone"

02.  from 'Like A Prayer':  Like A Prayer (7.75)

not even on my list, but yep I KNOW what you thought, shocking huh?;

still, it is a touching and endearing song, I get it

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

"And you can dance/For inspiration"

!!!01.  from 'Like A Virgin':  Into The Groove (5.2)!!!

and to think, this was not #1 on the Original list, but I love it, it's my #3;

seriously, I disown any of you who do not get on the dance floor when this track comes on

SOME FINAL TRIVIA FOR YOU  :whip:  :whip:  :whip: 

SO, YOU WONDER, WHAT TRACKS OF ANGELAMANDA's TOP 30 DIDN'T MAKE IT TO THE FINAL TOP 30?  (OR MAYBE YOU DON'T, AND I JUST DON'T CARE  :Madonna015: ):  GAMBLER, STAY, PRETENDER, SUPERNATURAL, OVER AND OVER, WHERE'S THE PARTY, PRAY FOR SPANISH EYES, AND THINK OF ME.  (See!  this countdown is not rigged lol)

WHAT SONGS FROM EACH ALBUM DIDN'T MAKE THE CUT?

'Madonna':  Borderline, I Know It, Think Of Me

'Like A Virgin':  Over And Over, Shoo Bee Doo, Pretender, Stay

'True Blue':  Where's The Party, Jimmy Jimmy

'Like A Prayer':  Pray For Spanish Eyes, Act Of Contrition

FINALLY!!  YOU ASK YOURSELF, YOU TOLD US "INTO THE GROOVE" WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE #1???!!  WHAT WAS?!!!  "BORDERLINE" WITH A GREAT SCORE OF 4.33, BUT THIS GAME MOVED IT ALL THE WAY TO #31.  HEY, DON'T HATE ME, EVEN THOUGH I DON'T LIKE THE TRACK, I DIDN'T MOVE IT THERE.   :Madonna025: 

THANK YOU TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED (BIG HUGS TO NOWRADIATE)...LOOK FORWARD TO THE NEW COUNTDOWN FOR THE 90s, WITH A POST COMING UP ON THURSDAY!!

thanks for this game angelamanda! i think it was fun.

yes, it was me. i moved borderline down. not my favorite.

but i love you all.

:Madonna010:

extra hug for angelamanda.

the only track that surprised me to end up so high on the list is "causing a commotion". (you nuts??)

i wish madonna would play "angel" live again at some point. love it.

Archived