Best Madonna live album mixing?

Roy

I wanna know from y'all: what's the gold standard for a Madonna live audio in terms of mixing?

Personally, it is a tie between Confessions Tour (stereo version) and the Madame X Live film. They sound incredible and gives so much depth to the songs performed.

The 5.1 surround sound version of Confessions Tour was an incredible let down because it lacked so much bass. I think someone forgot to crack it up when mixing it.

I honestly don't like any of the live albums. They're either to overproduced and lacking any live feel (Confessions could've been brilliants but the fake, selective audience cheering messes the whole thing up for me) or even worse, you hear the backing tracks and there was no effort put in to make it sound in any way decent like RHT and MDNA.

My favorite LIVE sound experience is still The Girlie Show - Live Down Under VHS Stereo rip. You can feel the energy. her's, the band's the audience. Drowned World I think is well done as well, only slightly cleaned up and feels live and raw.

7 minutes ago, Papa Zelko said:

I honestly don't like any of the live albums. They're either to overproduced and lacking any live feel. Confessions could've been brilliants but the fake, selective audience cheering messes the whole thing up for me.

My favorite LIVE sound experience is still The Girlie Show - Live Down Under VHS Stereo rip. You can feel the energy. her's, the band's the audience. Drowned World I think is well done as well, only slightly cleaned up and feels live and raw.

Yeah, Confessions has that fake live crowd, especially during the beginning of Drowned World where it cuts out suddenly. It got worse on MDNA and RHT. 

I do agree with you that the stereo mix of TGS is absolutely amazing. I would also put DWT on there too!

7 minutes ago, musicinferno said:

Sticky & Sweet Tour for me. It's perfectly mixed. 

MDNA and RHT sounded atrocious with the (fake) overly loud crowd noise. 

S&ST is good even though she got dubbed over for the most part. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Brendanlovesu1 said:

MDNA was not decent, the blu rays were recalled because they were defective, and the 2CD was just a DVD rip

Plus the video editing was a total shit but given here we're discussing just the audio stuff, I guess whatever work was done to The Party's Right Here is a slap to the face of all M's official live albums, IGTTYAS included.

I'm Going to Tell You a Secret and Confessions Tour are solid. S&S is good but butched by the abysmal choice to clean up the vocals.
I HATE MDNA, Rebel Heart and Madame X, they feel plastic, karaoke-ish, the vocals are all over the place...

Now, of course if we're couting the video only releases the best one is Drowned World, the show itself was a little cold but the mixing and her vocals are great.
Ciao Italia is great too. Girlie Show is good but the mixings is a little off (that loud guitar on Deeper and Deeper :suffer:) although the LD is better.

7 minutes ago, Prayer said:

She's never sounded better live than the "Girlie Show". Soundwise, everything, band, backing vocals, mixes, versions and of course the lady herself was live Peakdonna.

Now imagine if she DID PERFORM LIVE TO FUCKING TELL AS ORIGINALLY PLANNED.

You know, between La Isla and Holiday.

Shame that In This Life was painful enough to her.

Well, at least, she could put Who's That Girl or Love Makes the World Go Round instead, both would fit the "chiquita" mood during such section. Holiday certainly didn't need to be THAT long!

I really like the mixing we got for the S&S tour. Even though her vocals are almost entirely not from the show, they did it very well. If you consider the video, her mouth follows the audio perfectly, which doesn’t happen on the MDNA, RHT, and MXT editions.

Going back to the audio, S&S blended the vocals, band, and audience perfectly. I also love the Confessions Tour. Her vocals aren’t entirely real there either, but they sound much more authentic compared to MDNA and RHT. In those, she sounded like she had smoked 1,000 cigarettes before the show, and I will never understand why it was like that. Plus, there is the annoying and overly fake crowd noise.

From these recent releases, MX was my favorite because they at least reduced the annoying autotune that she used throughout almost the entire show. When you watch or listen to the official release, you can hear her voice in a purer form during most of the performance. Also, I don't think the crowd noise is overdone on MX.

10 hours ago, Papa Zelko said:

If we're talking of the tour video sound I cpmpletely agree: I'm aaall here for the most gritty and rough ones, Girlie Show live down under and Ciao Italia ... they still are such a pleasure to watch and even just to listen to, performances, arrangements and sound!

If we're talking about the official live audio releses, maybe for the same reason (it sounded a little less polished than the further ones), I think that I'm going to tell you a secret is my favourite. Also because - sorry - I think that was the last time we had GREAT SONGS sung with GREAT VOCAL PERFORMANCES. From there on, we never had the same balance again imo.

3 minutes ago, Tony Fortin said:

The Virgin Tour:heart:

There's no place like home

You may not have noticed, but I just have found a very strong reason why Angel, Borderline and even Burning Up were cut from official register and thrown into the incinerator.

(Well Burning Up could have still her singing in front of the crotch of her guitarist as main reason for)

10 minutes ago, Tony Fortin said:

The Virgin Tour:heart:

There's no place like home

Actually "The Virgin Tour" is such a perfect mix and sounds completely real and live even though it's not. We only need to compare the bootlegs or news footage videos with the final product.

She's been tweaking her live releases since day one and we love a perfectionist queen.

8 minutes ago, Tudors said:

I don't play those and forgot they existed. Rather hear some club78boy files lol

Even with most of them being... made by third parties???

(Sorry Dave I am only referring to the things that were sold to you by THAT SCAMMER M COLLECTOR... I know you are the top of the tops among M fans - for years along, be sure!)

14 minutes ago, Anapausis said:

You may not have noticed, but I just have found a very strong reason why Angel, Borderline and even Burning Up were cut from official register and thrown into the incinerator.

(Well Burning Up could have still her singing in front of the crotch of her guitarist as main reason for)

Full setlist and crotch are requested in deluxe reissue