Madonna on Instagram / Facebook / Twitter + other Social Media

groovyguy

1 hour ago, McDonna said:

I don't believe she's "bitter" one bit. Besides, she walked away with 5 Million dollars. It also created a lot of attention to her and the song/video for Like A Prayer.  If anything, I think she is enjoying shoving it all back in their face. Pepsi backed out when the Conservative religious loons took offense. She probably lacks any respect for them at this point.  I'm sure she she'll take any opportunity to show that what they did was stupid.  But the late 80's were a different time.  I don't think the Church has much hold over Pepsi these days.

Its so bizarre how seriously some are about it and lack the perspective of time.

She is being her usual cheeky self

12 minutes ago, cyberrage said:

Its so bizarre how seriously some are about it and lack the perspective of time.

It's like a lot of things she does. Some take what she does, far too seriously.  It's hilarious to me, she always clapping back.  I have no doubt she would been doing so back in the 80's if Social Media was available.  She loves to stir the pot and make people uncomfortable.  She's living her best life.  More fans could take a page from her. I know I do.  The older I get; I realize the restrictions we put on ourselves due to society pressures, just spoils all the fun. 

43 minutes ago, cyberrage said:

I've noticed that fans are taking this Pepsi thing so seriously, like it was WW3 or something, not just a business venture... they scrapped the ad, paid her fair and square, and it's a different company leadership anyway nowadays. That would be like complaining that Madonna signed a deal with Pepsi when it was known Joan Crawford was a child abuser. Makes no sense.

6 hours ago, McDonna said:

I don't believe she's "bitter" one bit. Besides, she walked away with 5 Million dollars. It also created a lot of attention to her and the song/video for Like A Prayer.  If anything, I think she is enjoying shoving it all back in their face. Pepsi backed out when the Conservative religious loons took offense. She probably lacks any respect for them at this point.  I'm sure she she'll take any opportunity to show that what they did was stupid.  But the late 80's were a different time.  I don't think the Church has much hold over Pepsi these days.

Agree, she had nothing to be bitter about. She kept the money, the record got free hype and press over the controversy, and it was a huge hit for her anyway.

At worst maybe she would’ve been a little disappointed some people might not have got to see the commercial they came up with once it was pulled but she was probably more artistically invested in the video anyway.

37 minutes ago, MikeyK said:

Agree, she had nothing to be bitter about. She kept the money, the record got free hype and press over the controversy, and it was a huge hit for her anyway.

At worst maybe she would’ve been a little disappointed some people might not have got to see the commercial they came up with once it was pulled but she was probably more artistically invested in the video anyway.

These posts she makes about it now are her celebrating her legacy 

11 hours ago, androiduser said:

I've noticed that fans are taking this Pepsi thing so seriously, like it was WW3 or something, not just a business venture... they scrapped the ad, paid her fair and square, and it's a different company leadership anyway nowadays. That would be like complaining that Madonna signed a deal with Pepsi when it was known Joan Crawford was a child abuser. Makes no sense.

Hush about Joan Crawford. She was a self made woman (in the traditional sense). 

9 hours ago, androiduser said:

No one's taking it "so seriously", it's fun, from herself first with the Coke post too, etc.

But at the same time, it's kind of a full circle moment. The original 1989 Pepsi "Like A Prayer" thing was one of the biggest controversies of her career so it getting a closure 34 years later with the ad officially uploaded by the brand themselves it's perfect for this moment: her about to start a greatest hits tour celebrating her legacy.

Plus time always puts everything in perspective, etc. etc.

She financed the Express yourself video with the Pepsi money (according to de Mann at the time). I think she was more upset that Pepsi pulled out as the sponsor of the Blond Ambition tour which made her looking for someone else to finance it ( a deal with Nike and Reebok also fell through). According to Christopher Ciccone she made no money from the Blond Ambition tour with all the touring expenses she had to pay. And Coke has a better taste anyway, she's right.

5 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

She financed the Express yourself video with the Pepsi money (according to de Mann at the time). I think she was more upset that Pepsi pulled out as the sponsor of the Blond Ambition tour which made her looking for someone else to finance it ( a deal with Nike and Reebok also fell through). According to Christopher Ciccone she made no money from the Blond Ambition tour with all the touring expenses she had to pay. And Coke has a better taste anyway, she's right.

Technically, they pulled out of a "Like a Prayer" tour that didn't exist yet.  After all, when she signed with Pepsi, she was already up for the Dick Tracy role.  By the time, the Pepsi deal was publicly announced and the commercial and music video released,  the movie was beginning production. I suspect her aim was to start production on the tour later in the year, but that didn't pan out as she still was filming scenes for the movie into late summer of '89.  So I can't see her being too bothered by them pulling out from a tour that wasn't even happening yet. 

By the way, Pioneer ended up sponsoring the tour, so I highly doubt she didn't make much money.  Possibly, she didn't make as much money as she hoped and one would expected from a tour as successful as Blond Ambition. :)

Yeah Pioneer sponsored BAT and at the time was the only reason at that time leaving school and getting a job led me to buying a LD player paying it off every month so I could get the laser disc. :laughing: Gullible but I loved it and was worth every penny of savings. I cant be the only one.  Im sure others did, plus BAT the ticket sales and stadiums were through the roof. If no money was made well Chris' memories in his book are fantasy half the time you only need to be half a fan to know half doesnt add up. Shedve also made twice the money with TOD. Wasnt it the best selling doc of all time for years? Its always on repeat here in the UK every few months so still making money. 

Other shows like London was played live on Radio One (shedve been paid) Barcelona Live on Sky (and other channels round the world). Oh she got money.  Maybe Chris cant remember his bonus but he cant remember what years are. 

6 minutes ago, scallywally said:

Yeah Pioneer sponsored BAT and at the time was the only reason at that time leaving school and getting a job led me to buying a LD player paying it off every month so I could get the laser disc. :laughing: Gullible but I loved it and was worth every penny of savings. I cant be the only one.  Im sure others did, plus BAT the ticket sales and stadiums were through the roof. If no money was made well Chris' memories in his book are fantasy half the time you only need to be half a fan to know half doesnt add up. Shedve also made twice the money with TOD. Wasnt it the best selling doc of all time for years? Its always on repeat here in the UK every few months so still making money. 

Other shows like London was played live on Radio One (shedve been paid) Barcelona Live on Sky (and other channels round the world). Oh she got money.  Maybe Chris cant remember his bonus but he cant remember what years are. 

Yeah, I don't trust Chris' words.  Not to say, he hasn't dish some truth, but he had an agenda with his book and so of course, he's going to paint a narrative that will keep people engaged.  I'm sure she made money from Blond Ambition, but possibly as I said, maybe she didn't make what she hoped or one would think for such a successful tour.

Like you, I only bought a Laser Disc player for BAT.  Of course, I bought a number of movies including Dick Tracy after the fact. I even debated buying Girlie Show on Laser Disc, but DVD's started to grow more popular at that point, so I went that route.