Single Reissues Campaign - Causing a Commotion - OUT NOW

New_Boy

12 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Thing is, that incorrect edit of "Holiday" on the "Madonna" digital album must be included on many playlists and performing well (hence its figures) to Warner to decided to not update it. If suddenly they replace the file for the longer original album version, it could damage that performance. It would be a 6 minute track versus a less than 4 minutes version.

The original playlisters wouldn't take the time to delete it and look for another proper edit.

Exactly, that said, many people probably wouldn't notice or care.

6 minutes ago, Adonna said:

Are they "intentional" though?  I don't think so.  For ardent fans it may be noticeable but for most anyone else, it isn't. 

Some of those errors are intentional. When uploading Madonna, they took care to create a shorter edit of the Q-Sound Mix of "Holiday" to use instead of the original. And when uploading The Immaculate Collection, they discarded the Q-Sound Mixes of "Lucky Star" and "Borderline" and used longer and older mixes instead. And I read the version of "Crazy for You" available on the digital Something to Remember is different than the CD one.

In all cases, it would have been easier to upload the tracks as they appeared on those CDs instead of making the extra effort of discarding certain versions and replacing them.

5 minutes ago, Arckangel said:

Some of those errors are intentional. When uploading Madonna, they took care to create a shorter edit of the Q-Sound Mix of "Holiday" to use instead of the original. And when uploading The Immaculate Collection, they discarded the Q-Sound Mixes of "Lucky Star" and "Borderline" and used longer and older mixes instead. And I read the version of "Crazy for You" available on the digital Something to Remember is different than the CD one.

In all cases, it would have been easier to upload the tracks as they appeared on those CDs instead of making the extra effort of discarding certain versions and replacing them.

How are they errors, if they intentionally uploaded such versions?  LOL!  I agree that the digital/streaming versions of some of the songs on Immaculate Collection annoys me. Still,  I think Madonna is quite well represented digitally and on streaming platforms.  Hardcore fans will always nitpick things, and I understand that, but at the end of the day, most anyone else don't care.  Her music is still there and being enjoyed. :luv:

3 hours ago, Arckangel said:

I don't think they were intentional in the first place?

Keep in mind we're talking about mid 00s (2005 exactly) when the iTunes store was rising and Warner quickly had to put together a whole digital catalogue for the store (and later Amazon Music and the rest), when Madonna and Apple reached an agreement to add her music to the platform before the "Confessions" release (the infamous video chat announcement with Steve Jobs).

The easiest thing to do would have been ripping all the original CDs as they were, right?

Well, Warner don't work like that (other labels do). They always used (use?) original digitalized master files for the digital stores and now streaming, never CD rips. For some internal reason NO CD rips.

So the team in charge for Madonna's iTunes/digital catalogue just put together the albums tracklists with whatever they had available. The shorter Q-Sound Mix of "Holiday" wasn't created for the "Madonna" digital album, it existed already from a random 2001 Warner compilation. The original Q-Sound mixes masters of "Lucky Star" and "Borderline" must be lost or damaged, cause they have never been used on digital and they even found alternate ones for "Celebration". So the "New" mix and the album version were used for digital "TIC".

Also remember for years the extended remix of "Dress You Up" was part of the "Like A Virgin" album on Spotify, the extended of "Papa" on "True Blue", a remix of "Express Yourself" instead of the album version on Amazon...

It wasn't intentional. It was messy.

@Prayer Thx for the information.

That said, I still find it odd on their part. The rights holders of a CD music album or single can legally upload and market the contents of said CD, and it's not like Madonna or any other one of the rights holders would have objected to CD files being used instead of digitalized master files if some of the latter were missing (and I'm sure Warner was authorized anyway).

The only objection to using CD files is if the CD is damaged or maybe too old, which could compromise the sound quality (even if the tracks don't skip). And in Warner's case, they could easily and instantly have obtained new or like-new CD albums with the missing digitized masters (besides, those CDs were printed millions of times). All they had to do in that case was rip the WAVE files straight from the CDs. It would have been better than what was done instead because of some technicality.

3 hours ago, Prayer said:

I don't think they were intentional in the first place?

Keep in mind we're talking about mid 00s (2005 exactly) when the iTunes store was rising and Warner quickly had to put together a whole digital catalogue for the store (and later Amazon Music and the rest), when Madonna and Apple reached an agreement to add her music to the platform before the "Confessions" release (the infamous video chat announcement with Steve Jobs).

The easiest thing to do would have been ripping all the original CDs as they were, right?

Well, Warner don't work like that (other labels do). They always used (use?) original digitalized master files for the digital stores and now streaming, never CD rips. For some internal reason NO CD rips.

So the team in charge for Madonna's iTunes/digital catalogue just put together the albums tracklists with whatever they had available. The shorter Q-Sound Mix of "Holiday" wasn't created for the "Madonna" digital album, it existed already from a random 2001 Warner compilation. The original Q-Sound mixes masters of "Lucky Star" and "Borderline" must be lost or damaged, cause they have never been used on digital and they even found alternate ones for "Celebration". So the "New" mix and the album version were used for digital "TIC".

Also remember for years the extended remix of "Dress You Up" was part of the "Like A Virgin" album on Spotify, the extended of "Papa" on "True Blue", a remix of "Express Yourself" instead of the album version on Amazon...

LAP on streaming sounds like a CD rip because of the typical glitch (reading error) at the beginning of Spanish Eyes. 

6 hours ago, Arckangel said:

And I read the version of "Crazy for You" available on the digital Something to Remember is different than the CD one.

Yes, the STR edit has a slightly extended ending, fading a few seconds later than the other versions available. Such a shame it's not on streaming, that "pa pa pa pa aaa" ending is so beautiful and the more the merrier.

2 hours ago, silverspark75 said:

LAP on streaming sounds like a CD rip because of the typical glitch (reading error) at the beginning of Spanish Eyes. 

I know but probably it isn't, cause then it would be as easy to fix as @Arckangel said: just taking a regular new CD, rip it and replace the file. But they won't do it.

Honestly I have no idea why Warner doesn't seem to use CD rips for their digital content. Not only for Madonna, but Prince's Warner digital albums don't seem to be sourced from CD either, but original digitalized master tapes or something.

It would so much easier if they took a pristine CD, rip it and use those files, but hey.

CD is meant to be lossless if the original recording is 16-Bit/44.1 kHz right? Or it applies some compression or something somehow? Maybe that's the reason. To use the most perfect original master source and they don't consider CD to be that.

OFF Topic: I hope someone (or quelque personne) has me to their ignore list. Have or haven't they, here it comes...

EDIT: Oops! Wrong thread!!! But this is an off topic post, so it applies to this thread too. Plus it adds TEXTURE to my message, given I don't follow M on her socials - I don't own any nor I want to.

Back to normal programming Infiniters...

4 hours ago, Arckangel said:

@Prayer Thx for the information.

That said, I still find it odd on their part. The rights holders of a CD music album or single can legally upload and market the contents of said CD, and it's not like Madonna or any other one of the rights holders would have objected to CD files being used instead of digitalized master files if some of the latter were missing (and I'm sure Warner was authorized anyway).

The only objection to using CD files is if the CD is damaged or maybe too old, which could compromise the sound quality (even if the tracks don't skip). And in Warner's case, they could easily and instantly have obtained new or like-new CD albums with the missing digitized masters (besides, those CDs were printed millions of times). All they had to do in that case was rip the WAVE files straight from the CDs. It would have been better than what was done instead because of some technicality.

I don't think it would be too hard to find a unopened/never played CD of Immaculate Collection if that's the route it needs to go to get the correct versions of the songs for IC.  Yet, I don't believe they can't find or haven't access to the original masters or whatever it takes to get the original versions up on digital/streaming platforms.

Then again, I had thought Madonna didn't like a couple of the versions of the Q-Sound songs on IC and that's why they were replaced when digital/streaming came along.

36 minutes ago, Adonna said:

I don't think it would be too hard to find a unopened/never played CD of Immaculate Collection if that's the route it needs to go to get the correct versions of the songs for IC.  Yet, I don't believe they can't find or haven't access to the original masters or whatever it takes to get the original versions up on digital/streaming platforms.

Then again, I had thought Madonna didn't like a couple of the versions of the Q-Sound songs on IC and that's why they were replaced when digital/streaming came along.

I don't think it's about Madonna liking them or not, but not having access to the original master tapes or whatever for those two songs.

The fact that "Lucky Star" and "Borderline" original Q-Sound masters are not used on "The Immaculate Collection" digital BUT also they were not used on "Celebration" (being the only two Q-Sound mixes different to the rest of original Q-Sound mixes used on that compilation) can not be just a coincidence.

They just don't have them anymore in the source master format they use for digital retailers, whatever that is.

1 minute ago, Prayer said:

I don't think it's about Madonna liking them or not, but not having access to the original master tapes or whatever for those two songs.

The fact that "Lucky Star" and "Borderline" original Q-Sound masters are not used on "The Immaculate Collection" digital BUT also they were not used on "Celebration" (being the only two Q-Sound mixes different to the rest of original Q-Sound mixes used on that compilation) can not be just a coincidence.

They just don't have them anymore in the requested source format they use for digital retailers.

It may just been fan talk that she didn't like them. :)

Anyway, I still have a hard time believing Madonna and her team doesn't have access to the originals.  But it is what it is.  Also, you'd think there could be other ways to get the right versions on the digital/streaming platforms even if it is a rip from another source

2 minutes ago, Prayer said:

They just don't have them anymore in the requested source format they used for digital retailers.

I always wondered if there weren't plans of a Celebration Remixed bonus disc or promo disc? I would love it now specifically cause of the fact that if it was badly done there wpuod be like a thousand angry reviews like "The Die Another Day bond remix is clipping! It is also badly edited" 

And on the ending 

"Overall this has been the worst promo cd I have ever heard including it's brickwalled sounds and bad edits and lack of 80's remixes apart of You Can Dance"

1 minute ago, Adonna said:

It may just been fan talk that she didn't like them. :)

Anyway, I still have a hard time believing Madonna and her team doesn't have access to the originals.  But it is what it is.  Also, you'd think there could be other ways to get the right versions on the digital/streaming platforms even if it is a rip from another source

That's what I think! At the end most of it will be heard in lossy streaming platforms so no difference will be heard at all 

12 minutes ago, Would You Like To Try said:

I always wondered if there weren't plans of a Celebration Remixed bonus disc or promo disc? I would love it now specifically cause of the fact that if it was badly done there wpuod be like a thousand angry reviews like "The Die Another Day bond remix is clipping! It is also badly edited" 

And on the ending 

"Overall this has been the worst promo cd I have ever heard including it's brickwalled sounds and bad edits and lack of 80's remixes apart of You Can Dance"

Actually I remember reports from MadonnaTribe in 2009 talking about three updated remixes from then current producers/DJs for three classic songs, including "Holiday" and "Into The Groove". But they were not used/released in the end.

I don't think a whole remixes compilation was on the cards but at least as promo support remixes probably.

I tried to find that piece of info now but can't find it anymore.

11 hours ago, Arckangel said:

That shorter edit of Holiday is so strange! I think those first "messed up" release versions were done to have exclusive content for iTunes, so the digital version and the physical ones wouldn’t compete. Note: These were uploaded around 2005.

The only one they fixed so far was Like A Virgin. Still, I really think that once the singles re-issues are over and done with, they are gonna start removing these outdated and flawed versions and start uploading those "ultimate editions".

My dream would be if they released the original masters AND the new expanded editions. I don’t think that will happen though.

7 hours ago, Prayer said:

According to some of the oldest itunes reviews, they apparently had the Like A Prayer 12” extended remix in place of The Act of Contrition at first too. 

8 minutes ago, MikeyK said:

According to some of the oldest itunes reviews, they apparently had the Like A Prayer 12” extended remix in place of The Act of Contrition at first too. 

Really?? Wow that would be hardcore.

I remember actually the "LAP" 12'' Extended Remix was in "The Immaculate Collection" for years too instead of the proper Q-Sound particular mix done for that compilation originally. It was later fixed and correct now.

Even with today's little things here and there... we've come a long way with her digital catalogue.

Also, Warner were very precious of their catalogue at first and put a black border with the Warner logo for every cover, except on iTunes (Apple wouldn't allow that s**t). Example:

fango.png.40c55a22da3b0b261c3c9d215f709103.png

They had all Madonna covers like that too on Amazon, Spotify, etc. everywhere except iTunes.

I don't think they were that confident that digital sales would last maybe... but they did, and even with a worse model for them: streaming.

2 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Really?? Wow that would be hardcore.

I remember actually the "LAP" 12'' Extended Remix was in "The Immaculate Collection" for years too instead of the proper Q-Sound particular mix done for that compilation originally. It was later fixed and correct now.

Even with today's little things here and there... we've come a long way with her digital catalogue.

Maybe it was because it was originally planned to be on celebration and to avoid two versions and after plans changed..they changed too