Single Reissues Campaign - Causing a Commotion - OUT NOW

New_Boy

2 hours ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

It was released Monday 25th November and charted on Sunday 1st December.

Here it says that the first chart entry was on December 7th which covers the week from December 1st - December 7th. If it was released the week before, wouldn’t it have appeared that week already? 

https://www.officialcharts.com/songs/madonna-dress-you-up/

11 hours ago, MPowered said:

Here it says that the first chart entry was on December 7th which covers the week from December 1st - December 7th. If it was released the week before, wouldn’t it have appeared that week already? 

https://www.officialcharts.com/songs/madonna-dress-you-up/

No, although I admit that the UK chart system is confusing. UK singles during the 1980/90s were always released on a Monday, and the chart entry announced on the following Sunday is the first date it officially 'charts' (based on sales of the week prior). So in this instance, the single was released on 25th November, and the chart announced on Sunday 1st Dec was for recorded single sales from 25/11/1985 to 30/11/1985. https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart/19851201/7501/  The next chart announced on Sunday 8th December would be based on single sales for week commencing Monday 2nd December and so on.

If you look at the most current singles chart as of today (13/09/24) you will see the same logic applies. The chart announced last Friday (6th Sept) covers the period 06/09/24 - 12/09/24 (yesterday's date). A new chart will be announced later this evening for single sales over the last week but the chart position will be recorded from 13/09/24 - 19/09/24. https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart/20240906/7501/

4 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

Was Angel released in the UK ? I saw an ad from.Smash Hits but Maybe that was the australian edition. I have no memory of it being released there in september of 85. 

Screenshot-20240914-135125-1.png

Yes it was. It was released as a single on 9th Sept 1985 and peaked at #5 on 22nd Sept.

3 hours ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

Yes it was. It was released as a single on 9th Sept 1985 and peaked at #5 on 22nd Sept.

It was released in UK with the original 4.48 version of Burning up has B-side.

https://www.madonnarecords.com/data/cover.asp?ID=72

https://www.madonnarecords.com/data/record.asp?id=15575

https://www.discogs.com/release/299188-Madonna-Angel-Extended-Dance-Mix

https://www.discogs.com/release/706994-Madonna-Angel

On 9/15/2024 at 6:49 AM, anjoel said:

Yes, I remember we got quite a lot of Madonna singles in 1985 all in the charts at the same time.

Yes, there was no getting away from her in 1985! She had eight singles in the charts...

• Like A Virgin (peaked at #3 on 06 Jan 1985)
  • Material Girl (March, #3)
  • Crazy For You (June, #2)
  • Into The Groove (July, #1)
  • Holiday [re-issue] (Aug, #2)
  • Angel (Sept, #5)
  • Gambler (Oct, #4)
  • Dress You Up (Dec, #5)

It's strange that Warner Bros gave the greenlight to saturate the UK market with singles from several projects (Like A Virgin, The First Album, and movie soundtrack singles), but they took a different approach in the US denying single releases for Into The Groove and Gambler due to not wanting to detract from the Like A Virgin singles campaign.

1 hour ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

Yes, there was no getting away from her in 1985! She had eight singles in the charts...

• Angel (Sept, #5)
  • Gambler (Oct, #4)
  • Dress You Up (Dec, #5)

It's strange that Warner Bros gave the greenlight to saturated the UK market with singles from several projects (Like A Virgin, The First Album, and movie soundtrack singles), but they took a different approach in the US denying single releases for Into The Groove and Gambler due to not wanting to detract from the Like A Virgin singles campaign.

Yeah, there was a trade off with Warners in the U.S. where they refused to fund a video for Angel, since Into The Groove was doing so well.  They realized she could be over saturating the market.  I think at this point it was too late.  lol. 1985 was such a great time to be alive when being a fan.  Madonnamania was through the roof.  Though, I know it was a bit different in UK regarding her success because her first #1 hit was Into The Groove while in the U.S. she already scored number ones with Like A Virgin and Crazy For You.  

41 minutes ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

• Angel (Sept, #5)
  • Gambler (Oct, #4)
  • Dress You Up (Dec, #5)

It's strange that Warner Bros gave the greenlight to saturated the UK market with singles from several projects (Like A Virgin, The First Album, and movie soundtrack singles), but they took a different approach in the US denying single releases for Into The Groove and Gambler due to not wanting to detract from the Like A Virgin singles campaign.

Warner US and Warner UK were different label and marketing teams, though. As soon as she took off in the UK the British team decided to fully capitalize on it, probably thinking, like most of the rest of the world then, that she was the flavor of the moment and her success wouldn't last. While the US team probably saw more in the medium/long term.

6 hours ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

• Angel (Sept, #5)
  • Gambler (Oct, #4)
  • Dress You Up (Dec, #5)

Didn't they managed to re-release Holiday and Borderline as well ? Like early 86 ?

18 minutes ago, FreshPrince said:

does anybody know if this tracklist is correct? 

https://music.apple.com/us/album/borderline-single/1671260517

what did they do wrong in this release?? 

They did the 7" remix incorrect as it is the celebration version instead of the original 7" remix and the rest are correct and the dub mix is missing

Does anybody know if it's true that in the UK, her next single release after Papa was meant to be Open Your Heart. It was announced in Smash Hits with pictures from the video. True Blue was gaining traction on UK radio and that was released ahead of it to make the most of it's popularity. It might be the Mandela effect for me but that's the memory I have.

2 hours ago, anjoel said:

Does anybody know if it's true that in the UK, her next single release after Papa was meant to be Open Your Heart. It was announced in Smash Hits with pictures from the video. True Blue was gaining traction on UK radio and that was released ahead of it to make the most of it's popularity. It might be the Mandela effect for me but that's the memory I have.

That is true! True Blue was originally not going to be a single at all. I think it was rush-released because radio stations loved it and it received airplay without beibg a single.

5 hours ago, MPowered said:

That is true! True Blue was originally not going to be a single at all. I think it was rush-released because radio stations loved it and it received airplay without beibg a single.

It's been such a long time I wasn't sure if I was misremembering. It's odd we remember little details like that. I assume that's why we got the cheaper True Blue video. I don't they even showed that here in the UK, can't remember what TOTP did while it was number one.

57 minutes ago, anjoel said:

It's been such a long time I wasn't sure if I was misremembering. It's odd we remember little details like that. I assume that's why we got the cheaper True Blue video. I don't they even showed that here in the UK, can't remember what TOTP did while it was number one.

I am sure I remember watching the video on TOTP....