Madonna to 'begin filming biopic starring Julia Garner in the next 12 months' after project was shelved during her Celebration Tour

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

I truly think the AIDS crisis will be the center of it. Not sure if it was you or someone else who mentioned the parallel to seeing her mother die then her friends die but its crazy how dark this story could possibly get. For as fun and sexual as Madonna is there has always been a foreboding apocalyptic frenzy to her work and her story. 

Yeah I think she will move away from what it was said the 'poor me ' Madonna but she definitely will talk about facing death with her mother with her friends, and most likely the rape and roughness of being a woman in 80s NYC. And balanced that up with the more positive side of artist and lovers. While growing up as a person and an artist.

4 minutes ago, EgoRod said:

Yeah I think she will move away from what it was said the 'poor me ' Madonna but she definitely will talk about facing death with her mother with her friends, and most likely the rape and roughness of being a woman in 80s NYC. And balanced that up with the more positive side of artist and lovers. While growing up as a person and an artist.

Madonna has never been a "poor me" artist. She just says it how it is and lets the chips fall where they may. The general public just dont like to be confronted with their own hypocrisy and their own bad behavior. Look at Kate Middleton. People felt SO entitled and made up stupid stories while she was in hiding and then acted dumbfounded when oops she just had cancer 🙄

5 hours ago, EgoRod said:

They need to find an interesting story to tell and tell it. It's not about listing every single thing she did.

Absolutely, it's impossible, and not all career achievements make good stories on film. I mean, what, will there be a whole ten minute scene about writing a letter to Bjorn and Benny and recording Hung Up in Stuart's living room? :laughing: Confessions is a huge part of her career, but I don't think it's an important part in the movie, it can be reduced to a short montage of hits.

I remember last year when Florence Pugh was photographed with short hair, and some people here thought she cut her hair to film The Girlie Show scenes :laughing:

8 hours ago, androiduser said:

Absolutely, it's impossible, and not all career achievements make good stories on film. I mean, what, will there be a whole ten minute scene about writing a letter to Bjorn and Benny and recording Hung Up in Stuart's living room? :laughing: Confessions is a huge part of her career, but I don't think it's an important part in the movie, it can be reduced to a short montage of hits.

Exactly. The film can cover a shorter period of time and still celebrate her wider career in some way or another.

Im not completely set on the idea of ending at BAT but one thing to note is that Keith Haring died right before that tour started and Christopher Flynn died right after. The fact that Vogue , a song celebrating Queer culture came out around that time too is a good tie in to an overall story / message that could be the focal point of the film. Ending it there would allow Keith and Martin Buygone (and maybe Christopher if he’s been readded) to be central characters whereas if it covers a wider period their part would have less space. She may want to delve into more details of those people and that period to show why/how she became the person she did and how important her relationship to her gay audience became as a result of those relationships.

I also think if it ended at 1990 she could actually do a sequel which would be amazing and unique as far as these biopics go.

I find myself apprehensive about the upcoming biopic Madonna will helm about her own life.

I don't want to see a superficial, overly romanticized story. Instead, I hope Madonna will reveal the complexities of her character, including her struggles, flaws, and vulnerabilities. It's essential that the film goes beyond self-celebration and offers everybody a chance to reflect on the deeper, more human aspects of her life.

She has always been a trailblazer, and this biopic should be no different—providing an insightful, thought-provoking narrative that showcases not just her triumphs but also the challenges and imperfections that have shaped her into the icon she is today.

One of the primary issues with Rocketman (the movie) was its tendency to simplify complex events and omit significant details, resulting in a rather shallow and superficial portrayal of Elton John. 

I fear that Madonna's biopic might fall into the same trap, focusing more on spectacle than substance.

I fear the spectacle take is exactly what we are going to get with the biopic though.

Madonna seems like she has felt so wronged by the public for so long now. I think that is why we will mainly get what we already know. I expect a heavy stress on her work ethic and will to survive with a big fuck you attitude on top of it all. 

I get that it will strengthen her brand as the queen of pop, but I wish she’d be interested in sharing a more vulnerable side of her. Her brutal honesty is what drew me to her art, but I feel like within the last couple of years a lot of the warmth and fun that once came with it was missing. The Celebration tour was a step into the “right” direction for my taste though.

I’m also only interested in a new album if she’s willing to go deep lyrically again. 

Considering the writers involved and previous work (Erin Cressida Wilson and previous draft by Diablo Cody.)

They both work hard on characters and character emotions. Sometimes to make them bit unreal but in a realistic setting.

But their films (the ones I watched ) are more about people than storyline. They all have their own little worlds but that's what you discover during the movies.

So another theory could be playing plots of Madonna living parallel stories with people in her life. Showing these relationships side by side during the movie and how they evolve. Rather than present us with her following a path and meeting them along.

"Promise To Try" might be an interesting title for the biopic. 

• Bitch Im Madonna
  • What It Feels Like For A Girl
  • Nobody Knows Me
  • Material Girl - (She'd never)
  • Like A "something"
  • Burning Up - The Madonna Story
  • Blond Ambition
  • Rebel Heart - I do like this
  • Unapolagetic Bitch
  • I'm A Sinner
  • Human Nature
  • Ray Of Light
  • Express Yourself (would be great actually)
  • Live To Tell is my favourite but it only works if the script lends itself to it. 
  • Causing A Commotion
  • Secret
  • Hanky Panky - The Madonna story ' camp as tits!!!!. 
  • Life Is A Mystery
  • I'm Not Sorry

4 hours ago, Dom said:

I fear the spectacle take is exactly what we are going to get with the biopic though.

Madonna seems like she has felt so wronged by the public for so long now. I think that is why we will mainly get what we already know. I expect a heavy stress on her work ethic and will to survive with a big fuck you attitude on top of it all. 

I get that it will strengthen her brand as the queen of pop, but I wish she’d be interested in sharing a more vulnerable side of her. Her brutal honesty is what drew me to her art, but I feel like within the last couple of years a lot of the warmth and fun that once came with it was missing. The Celebration tour was a step into the “right” direction for my taste though.

I’m also only interested in a new album if she’s willing to go deep lyrically again. 

The thing is she has already brought in two well known key writers to flesh it out, so I have no doubt Madonna will continue to surround herself with the best in getting this film made.  Let's remember, she's already voiced a lot of things we want in her biopic, but she's being shot down because the deal was for a 2 hour feature film.  She herself has admitted that they have struggled to condense the script.  Again, fans have expressed that a proper Biopic of Madonna would be hard to capture in two hours.  Madonna even liked the suggestion of her story be told in a limited series, but again was told the deal was for a 2 hour feature film.

With that said, it's possible she's renegotiating the deal for this film. A lot of artists are finding more success in sharing their story in documentaries and limited series lately.  So maybe she'll try to go that route instead.

Still, I feel Madonna is hoping to take her film in a direction that hasn't been done before.  It's hard though because it seems the imaginable has already been done before.

5 hours ago, Dom said:

Well her own reason for making the film has always been to "tell her story" her way. So I tend to expect it will be brutally honest rather than another glossy biopic. Part of her reason for doing this is also to establish herself as a film director too so she's going to have a vision that aligns with that goal. Also remember the Celebration tour was inspired by her work on the film so I expect there are clues in that as to what we can expect.

4 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

Well her own reason for making the film has always been to "tell her story" her way. So I tend to expect it will be brutally honest rather than another glossy biopic. Part of her reason for doing this is also to establish herself as a film director too so she's going to have a vision that aligns with that goal. Also remember the Celebration tour was inspired by her work on the film so I expect there are clues in that as to what we can expect.

This.

She completely re-invented the Greatest Hits tour concept with her last tour. While everyone else doing it has done (or is doing) basically cosplay of their own old eras, Madonna offered an intricate new twist on it. As many other times in the past, she took the concept and made it her own.

I'm sure she will do the same with the biopic form as we know it and we're used to from others. She will make it hers. It's true no one can tell her story like herself.

Why are people all of a sudden concerned about spectacle 😂 people are just LOOKING for reasons to dislike it. God forbid someone tell their own damn story their own way. The only thing we know concretely is that with Diablo it went up to at least Ray of Light. And we know that because it literally came out of her mouth on instagram. It ended with Blond Ambition is pure speculation and was mentioned by Variety or Hollywood Reporter and referred to as a "rumor" despite that rumor never being mentioned until that article. We do not know if its even just a re-write or a completely different script with Erin.

On 6/19/2024 at 2:14 PM, Alpha said:

Why are people all of a sudden concerned about spectacle 😂 people are just LOOKING for reasons to dislike it. God forbid someone tell their own damn story their own way. The only thing we know concretely is that with Diablo it went up to at least Ray of Light. And we know that because it literally came out of her mouth on instagram. It ended with Blond Ambition is pure speculation and was mentioned by Variety or Hollywood Reporter and referred to as a "rumor" despite that rumor never being mentioned until that article. We do not know if its even just a re-write or a completely different script with Erin.

I am baffled why some think she's going sugar coat things.  That isn't just Madonna. She knows what sells. She knows more controversy the better. You know she is going to want to add as much juice as possible.  I prefer her at the helm because as been repeated many times here, "it's HER story".  If I wanted a camp gossipy story, then I'd just read the rags which has been reporting on her for the part 40 plus years.  I want to hear her side of things. She will offer more insight in things that we never knew.  If anything, she will be fighting the film company funding it, that will want to HOLLYWIZE it.  Anyone who knows Madonna, knows Madonna isn't interested in such. I have no doubt someone else will come along and tell a different perspective, that might see it through the lenses which will be more gossipy.  I'm not interested in that.  I want to hear and see what she truly experienced.  

2 hours ago, musicinferno said:

Anyone else afraid Madonna will drive Julia mad with her controlling ways? 

Idk but you dont seem too afraid to come across as a wet blanket and that's cuz you're not paying anyone so im sure julia will be ok 

3 hours ago, musicinferno said:

Anyone else afraid Madonna will drive Julia mad with her controlling ways? 

I've heard no complaints from others who were under her direction in the other films she's directed.  Also, Julia is extremely professional.  She's already hung out with Madonna, and I can see Julia using those moments to study Madonna more closer.  

That of course, if Julia is still doing this.   

7 minutes ago, Donna said:

I've heard no complaints from others who were under her direction in the other films she's directed.  Also, Julia is extremely professional.  She's already hung out with Madonna, and I can see Julia using those moments to study Madonna more closer.  

That of course, if Julia is still doing this.   

Exactly. Love your new profile photo @Donna

20 hours ago, Donna said:

I am baffled why some think she's going sugar coat things.  That isn't just Madonna. She knows what sells. She knows more controversy the better. You know she is going to want to add as much juice as possible.  I prefer her at the helm because as been repeated many times here, "it's HER story".  If I wanted a camp gossipy story, then I'd just read the rags which has been reporting on her for the part 40 plus years.  I want to hear her side of things. She will offer more insight in things that we never knew.  If anything, she will be fighting the film company funding it, that will want to HOLLYWIZE it.  Anyone who knows Madonna, knows Madonna isn't interested in such. I have no doubt someone else will come along and tell a different perspective, that might see it through the lenses which will be more gossipy.  I'm not interested in that.  I want to hear and see what she truly experienced.  

Will she really tell the truth? The controversy will be there for sure, at least the ones we know about. She will be honest about things that we know about.

However, Madonna doesn't like to be painted in a negative way.  So, if she was "the bad guy" in some situations, will she show that?