Azealia Banks disagreeing with Katy Perry that "every female artist needs to thank Madonna

True Blue 84

6 minutes ago, MikeyK said:

Debbie Harry I’ll give because M herself has said she was very influenced by Blondie early on. And Chrissie Hynde & Pretenders. And David Bowie. And Diana Ross.

Mary Gabriel mentioned in her book about Madonna that Chrissie Hynde had a big impact on her singing style, especially when it comes to singing in a lower pitch. It gave her confidence. Even nowadays you can hear some of that influence in her voice. 

1 hour ago, Madnness said:

Mary Gabriel mentioned in her book about Madonna that Chrissie Hynde had a big impact on her singing style, especially when it comes to singing in a lower pitch. It gave her confidence. Even nowadays you can hear some of that influence in her voice. 

It’s true! Look at Laugh To Keep From Crying. Totally has a Pretenders vibe. I think Steve Bray wrote in the liner notes that she was a huge fan of theirs at the time.

1 hour ago, MikeyK said:

This. The Cher revisionism in stan culture is TOO MUCH. Like bless her heart but the music side of her career was more or less considered a joke until Believe when she finally sort of endeared herself to people. 

But with pop divas, being influential is about more than just the music itself. It's also the looks, the concept, the live shows, the staging etc. Cher certainly had all of that. Even if this didn't influence Madonna, Cher had all of those elements in her career and it all had an impact on pop culture.

43 minutes ago, MikeyK said:

It’s true! Look at Laugh To Keep From Crying. Totally has a Pretenders vibe. I think Steve Bray wrote in the liner notes that she was a huge fan of theirs at the time.

That's impressive! She sounds just like Hynde! I loved it... this vibe would go really well with an acoustic version of Don't Tell Me. 

On 10/14/2024 at 5:41 AM, sara94 said:

Nurse she's out again

Not sure why Azealia Banks is still coming for Madonna... Madonna's vocals on "Vogue" have always impressed me; the leaked a cappella sounds awesome, and that was before Melodyne and all. Madonna brilliantly displays various vocal tones on it, and she wrote and produced the song (w/ Shep Pettibone). Azealia may have a more "powerful" kind of vocal in mind, but Madonna's delivery is just fine!

Just gave the song another listen, and I do not believe Madonna "did not give the song justice." That delivery and production are really fine w/ sparkles, and the song aged very well! I never understood the insistence w/ making Madonna a much worst vocalist than she factually is.

12 minutes ago, Arckangel said:

Not sure why Azealia Banks is still coming for Madonna... Madonna's vocals on "Vogue" have always impressed me; the leaked a cappella sounds awesome, and that was before Melodyne and all. Madonna brilliantly displays various vocal tones on it, and she wrote and produced the song (w/ Shep Pettibone). Azealia may have a more "powerful" kind of vocal in mind, but Madonna's delivery is just fine!

Just gave the song another listen, and I do not believe Madonna "did not give the song justice." That delivery and production are really fine w/ sparkles, and the song aged very well! I never understood the insistence w/ making Madonna a much worst vocalist than she factually is.

She's a troll. And not a good one.

"Did not give the song justice". A song she wrote and produced herself. :Madonna050:
It doesn't even make sense. The song was conceived by and for herself and her vocals.