!!POP EMERGENCY!! Madonna in the Studio With Stuart Price

Rainbow

2 hours ago, Fabiolous said:

I'm looking forward to whatever beautiful ballad the death of her brother is going to inspire. Her Instagram tribute was already so beautiful, if she pours those feelings into lyrics, it's gonna be so amazing.

She might flip that a la Together Again by Janet Jackson, especially due to their history with dance?

9 minutes ago, Veronica-Electronica said:

As a fellow Aussie I’m surprised you were able to escape Abbamania! I was only seven when Abba Gold was released in 1992 but I had the cassette, the VHS and later the CD 😆 

Aussies were responsible for turning me on to Abba in the mid 90s. You’re terrible, Muriel.

44 minutes ago, MikeyK said:

Same. Could be because it wasn’t one of their more well known hits here in the US. I think it was more well known internationally.

Also from US and while I was a music listening and collecting freak growing up (and to a degree still) and knew SOS, Fernando and Dancing Queen, I’d never heard Gimme Gimme Gimme.

16 minutes ago, Magic Pussy said:

Also from US and while I was a music listening and collecting freak growing up (and to a degree still) and knew SOS, Fernando and Dancing Queen, I’d never heard Gimme Gimme Gimme.

Gimme!Gimme! Gimme! also wasn’t featured on any Abba studio album, it was a single from a greatest hits compilation, which may have added to it falling under the radar somewhat after its initial release.

I think she could really have a lot to say about life in this moment, like being alive, how precious life is. The hospitalization, the loss of so many close people ... I can't imagine how, but I think this kind of mood and perception could be part of the album she's recording. I would find strange she chooses not to mention the emotions and the experience she's been through in her work, she always did it and being an artist often means letting life inspire your creativity to process it and liberate yourself. Of course she could choose not to.

14 hours ago, Debord said:

No, Madonna's age was the determining factor which is why I mentioned that first. A common discussion on here but even if Madonna released Hung Up these days it would be lucky to even go top 30 in most countries.

I’m not so sure. Padam Padam was a hit in the UK and won a Grammy. I think a song as good as Hung Up would have a much better chance than Medellin, don’t you?

14 hours ago, cosmic_system said:

It was a fan favorite since the start. The new Bruno Mars/Gaga is also very basic and boring but it’s a smash. 

Gaga and Bruno Mars aren’t in their 50’s. I think if Gaga released Ghosttown it would have been a big hit. But we were talking about Medellin, not Ghosttown. Medellin had no hit potential at all, not even in Columbia where Maluma singles were all going top 5 except for that one mysteriously .

12 hours ago, Redha DBL said:

Yeah the "One two chachacha" went viral but just for like two days and then nothing... I remember at the time we hadn't heard the song and the video shoot took place (with the horse incident and bla bla bla) and we got the first feedbacks from the extras. All they were saying was "the song goes like One Two Chachacha" and nothing more. Not one said something about the song being great or that they love it. At that very moment i knew it was not very good.

I’m cringing just hearing those words cha cha cha :laughing:

12 hours ago, Debord said:

The overwhelmingly positive response from critics shows it wasn't some "only irrational Madonna loons would like this" number. It's fine if folk don't like it but we don't have to rewrite history.

Overwhelmingly positive ? Are you talking about Zane Lowe pretending to like the song when he premiered it?

12 hours ago, Debord said:

Yeah clearly the critical reception didn't help it but as I wrote above, I think one of the things working against it was that it just wasn't what folk expect from Madonna and the vast majority of listeners won't make any effort with a song unless it's from an artist they already live. A couple of reviews said it was her most out there/difficult lead since American Life but I think that's only in the sense that it took a few listens before it really made sense.

Maybe you just loved a song that a lot of other people didn’t? I love American Life but I’m not going to make excuses for its failure. It was not a good single choice either.

8 hours ago, drivebitch said:

People forget that he gave her one hit single that if it hadn’t contained a famous ABBA sample it would have bombed. That’s the only song the general public remembers from that album. The same goes for the likes of Mirwais. Djs rarely make compelling music. She needs songwriters. Stuart’s music always sounds outdated and way too thin. Anyway, she did all she could do with him. If she wants to be lazy and continue repeating herself, so be it. 

Confessions is one of her most popular ever albums. And her last masterpiece.

40 minutes ago, Susan Thomas said:

I think she could really have a lot to say about life in this moment, like being alive, how precious life is. The hospitalization, the loss of so many close people ... I can't imagine how, but I think this kind of mood and perception could be part of the album she's recording. I would find strange she chooses not to mention the emotions and the experience she's been through in her work, she always did it and being an artist often means letting life inspire your creativity to process it and liberate yourself. Of course she could choose not to.

I always thought she had one more masterpiece in her. She is at her best when she is autobiographical, it's just that her life became very stable and she had exhausted things to talk about.

We got the divorce/childhood memories album (Like a prayer), the mid-30 depression album (Bedtime stories), the maternity album (Rat of light), the mid-life crisis/Kabbalah mania album (American Life) and the living in Portugal/career reassessment album (Madame X).

I'm looking forward to an album where she candidly talk about her feelings in this later part of life. What is her view of death? Ageing? Does she think all she has done matters in the end? What does she think of her career, now that the music industry has changed dramatically and young people seem to barely know who she is?

I'm hoping for some really insightful lyrics, but I think lately she's been afraid of being vulnerable. That's why we got things like Bitch I'm Loca. That's not who she is and I'd like her to stop pretending

23 minutes ago, Fabiolous said:

I always thought she had one more masterpiece in her. She is at her best when she is autobiographical, it's just that her life became very stable and she had exhausted things to talk about.

We got the divorce/childhood memories album (Like a prayer), the mid-30 depression album (Bedtime stories), the maternity album (Rat of light), the mid-life crisis/Kabbalah mania album (American Life) and the living in Portugal/career reassessment album (Madame X).

I'm looking forward to an album where she candidly talk about her feelings in this later part of life. What is her view of death? Ageing? Does she think all she has done matters in the end? What does she think of her career, now that the music industry has changed dramatically and young people seem to barely know who she is?

I'm hoping for some really insightful lyrics, but I think lately she's been afraid of being vulnerable. That's why we got things like Bitch I'm Loca. That's not who she is and I'd like her to stop pretending

Wow, I honestly can't see her going that deep today, but yeah, it would be great.

I suspect it’s less obvious an exercise in creativity and less emotionally necessary to process the deeper wells of our life experiences externally as we mature. What fed the intimately confessional narrative of Like A Prayer is unique to that juncture in Madonna’s life as a 30 year-old seeing her embrace of traditional values completely shatter. When we’ve had a lifetime of experience, built a family, seen the ebb and flow of the rhythm of life, felt the passage of time and watched youth fade into distant memory, I think we tend to fold into ourselves rather than spilling out into the outside world. There’s no longer the need for our inner process to be externally acknowledged, validated or understood.

It’s possible Madonna isn’t quite as detached from these things considering her long tenured role as a public figure, but I think she’s more likely to evoke her lyrical poetry through philosophy, spirituality, human ideals and broader concepts of Life than to be inspired to expose her personal vulnerabilities. I definitely don’t think she cares about sharing her opinions on the changing landscape of an industry that has never really given her the respect she deserves. I don’t think Madonna is really concerned with the fan perspective on her life, which can sometimes be infuriating for us as fans! It just seems like she’s always been too busy living her life to be particularly self-conscious in that respect. It’s sort of the paradox of her persona given that the entire world thinks she is this attention-deranged narcissist hellbent on staying relevant. She’s been almost completely self-effacing for most of the last two decades, and the truth is we know very little about her. Madonna may not be reclusively enigmatic like Kate Bush or French singer Mylene Farmer, but we really never know how she lives her day to day life other than through the curatorial fabrication of social media posts. 

2 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

I’m not so sure. Padam Padam was a hit in the UK and won a Grammy. I think a song as good as Hung Up would have a much better chance than Medellin, don’t you?

Padam Padam was a lightning strikes moment and still only went top ten cos of a bunch of well-timed physicals and downloads. And everyone here complains about the TikTok-aimed songs M has done of late when that was exactly what happened with Padam, and which Kylie had tried to replicate since without any success.

2 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Maybe you just loved a song that a lot of other people didn’t? I love American Life but I’m not going to make excuses for its failure. It was not a good single choice either.

Maybe you don't like a song and for some reason feel the need to discount the positives around it rather than just...not liking the song? I haven't made any "excuses" for its failure.

2 hours ago, Fabiolous said:

Rebel Heart and Madame X are full of lyrics about ageing and her place in the world though.