MADONNA AND WARNER MUSIC GROUP ANNOUNCE MILESTONE, CAREER-SPANNING PARTNERSHIP!!

Shoful

Just now, wtg1987 said:

Why does she need to be in the “ public consciousness “ ?? People know she exists if they are a music fan - I dont understand all this talk on the forum that she needs to be introduced to tiktok tweens and get her streams up - she’s a legacy artist now no matter what fans  try and convince us other ways - she’s never gonna sell records or get streams as artists now in their 20s and 30s and after 40 years she doesn’t have to prove anything or compete with the billboard hot 100 posse - she should be catering now to her hardcore fan base now if you ask me 

To me Madonna will always be current and streams are where it's at and the way she can get hype for her new material is a bit of give and take with it all....being in a huge new blockbuster will help just as Popular last year and the tour 

No different to 2004 reinvention Tour after America blacklist her after American life.... Much as that album is masterpiece genius in every way I love that she did a 180 and then span out into the Confessions era and commemorate 25 years beautifully too 

1 hour ago, wtg1987 said:

Why does she need to be in the “ public consciousness “ ?? People know she exists if they are a music fan - I dont understand all this talk on the forum that she needs to be introduced to tiktok tweens and get her streams up - she’s a legacy artist now no matter what fans  try and convince us other ways - she’s never gonna sell records or get streams as artists now in their 20s and 30s and after 40 years she doesn’t have to prove anything or compete with the billboard hot 100 posse - she should be catering now to her hardcore fan base now if you ask me 

If she just caters to her “hardcore fan base” then her legacy will die off when she and they do. What many of us want is to see her incredible catalogue live on alongside MJ or the Beatles or whatever other classic artists. And btw it’s entirely possible to do both- toss all the old remixes and what not up on streaming for the old fans while also expanding her visibility and profile w/younger music consumers.

18 hours ago, adirondak said:

I’m just hoping it’s delayed as part of a larger strategy to up her overall streaming and bring her back into the public consciousness in a more celebratory and less derisive way. Perhaps there will be more deals for her music like the Deadpool one, that will really introduce her music to a wider audience and affirm her as a legend. 

Agree. Lots of us, myself included, would love to see a big explosion come of this, but realistically it’s probably better to hope that this will be a stepping stone, and that there will be more like it to come.

I’d love to see them pick songs that maybe aren’t quite as iconic or well known beyond her fans as LAP. Open Your Heart, Live To Tell, Deeper & Deeper, etc.

It's not about introducing her to tiktok users, it is just that she's the last 80s Megastar Creamy Smooth Pop Icon Goddess alive with a killer catalog and we want people to know, enjoy and celebrate it while she still here. What's wrong with that?

If there's way to do it, why not? People can still listen to old torn 7'' singles from when they were young and be satisfied, I can still listen to the CDs I bought in my teens and people should be able to consume her the way music is consumed now. Things can coexist.

2 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

Because male dominated bands are still high on the billboard and streaming charts with greatest hits projects, and women aren’t. It would be nice to see her finally receive some of the accolades she’s earned through her work and to see the younger generations live up to their stated ideals and start supporting women. 

5 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

And Like a Prayer slaps to this day and beyond !

As I say I do wish Madonna had Ray of Light used in THE FLASH last summer....it wss the albums 25th anniversary 🌊 too! Warner should've been on it plus it would've been outside of the staple Madonna song usage vibe ....but alas 

IMG_20240728_001656.jpg

3 hours ago, adirondak said:

Because male dominated bands are still high on the billboard and streaming charts with greatest hits projects, and women aren’t. It would be nice to see her finally receive some of the accolades she’s earned through her work and to see the younger generations live up to their stated ideals and start supporting women. 

That's right 🫶 and Madonna's legacy should continue and I love that Joe shows pushing out her hits in blockbusters after decades of no compromising at all ....it's time 

madonna-as-wonder-woman.jpg

41 minutes ago, Cyberraga said:

When I tell people Madonna is my fave music artist they ask me if she's still alive :Madonna043:

Even worse, I've already met young people (and not so young) who recognize the name but see her as something distant from the past and don't even know any of her songs (they probably know some songs but don't realize they're by Madonna).

8 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Even worse, I've already met young people (and not so young) who recognize the name but see her as something distant from the past and don't even know any of her songs (they probably know some songs but don't realize they're by Madonna).

That's sad.

24 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

To be fair, that happened to us too when we were their age... some older names you heard about them but didn't know much or at all about their work. It's just natural.

The fact that "LAP" is rising on Shazam charts is a very good sign. People who don't know s**t about her are getting to know her now, which of course won't translate into all of them becoming super fans, but it's a great first step.

The way I see it - if young people don’t know her or her legacy that’s their loss - modern music mostly sucks anyway so they would never get her Schtick anyway - it’s a bit like flogging a dead horse - when I was a teenager if people tried to get me to listen to Elvis or the Beatles I wouldn’t have been interested so why would it be any different with this generation who have short attention spans anyway based on tiktok - I think those fans are just delusional now and the fact that LAP being in a major nerds film ain’t gonna do much either sorry 😢 

22 minutes ago, Prayer said:

To be fair, that happened to us too when we were their age... some older names you heard about them but didn't know much or at all about their work. It's just natural.

Yes, but it didn't happen at the same level as now. I mean, on the radio, you could hear any good song by any artist from any year,  even on TV. Now it seems like everything they play is current, and the past doesn't exist (except on dedicated channels).

I mean. The only thing that works with the general public en masse are ads like the Celebration greatest hits TV ad. It’s been 15 years since one of those. It only takes a 15 year old who doesn’t know much about her to see a 30 second TV ad featuring 10 or so short burst clips of her songs and iconic videos to sit up and take notice and say. “Oh that’s Madonna, I actually do know these songs but didn’t realise”. It’s important to state that in 2009 Celebration was selling her to a market that already knew exactly who she was. There has not been a targeted commercial marketing approach to a new audience with her legacy in 15 yrs. 

That happened to me so much around that age. Old songs from artists like Tina Turner or Cher or Stevie Wonder / Diana Ross that I didn’t realise I knew and as such I went out and bought the albums and became lifelong fan. 
Thats where Madonna is. Sometimes terrestrial TV is the best way in. Social media and You Tube are too algorithm based and she would be targeted away from any youth demographic targeted ads.  

A huge respective greatest hits around the biopic will majorly re bolster her standing around the next generation and I truly think that’s when she’ll get her flowers. They’ll know she’s old and they’ll respect her legacy and the amazing contributions she made to music and popular culture without holding her to any standards boomers through to Gen Z ers have. I think her flowers will truly come with Gen Alpha. 
That’s why we’re slowly getting the singles and iconic artwork on streaming. It’s a drip feed for old fans but her and Warner are getting everything up there out and ready for the drop of the Movie. An absolute  treasure trove, all in place for a brand new generation to find for the very first time. 

2 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

When i was at school I really got into David Bowie and Joni Mitchell and none of my peers were interested - it's just a fact that the vast majority of 'music fans' aren't really interested in music beyond what's popular, whatever year it is. The folk who do actually love music are the ones who always go investigating to find what's influenced the current crop and folk like that will always listen to artists like Madonna.

She’s left it too long to sell any CDs to casual buyers, of course, so I think there will be a major focus on vinyl. 

As there’s been SO many vinyl reissues of the Warner albums already, will they want to differentiate these with all new cover art? 

It might not be a bad idea and would help the reissues stand out as new product, which as they are finally offering bonus content, they truly are. 

It’s not like there aren’t many other fantastic shots from her LP cover shoots to select from. 

I think Like A Virgin would make a good launch for the reissues.

You’ve got the four international singles, and can add Into the Groove, Crazy For You and Gambler. Maybe she’ll surprise us with the much discussed Warning Signs.

The ‘movie’ / unfinished versions of Groove and Crazy would be amazing, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. Same goes for Warning Signs! 

Rare mixes/edits like Dress You Up remix/edit would be in demand from fans. 

There’s plenty Madonna can throw on in terms of remixes without suddenly changing her attitude massively by giving us fans demos, unreleased tracks or those movie versions. 

I think she would do several price points for the reissues to appeal to more casual buyers and diehard Madonna fans.

An LP sized vinyl box set with a large format booklet, the LP (picture disc?) and bonus discs with the extra tracks, promo videos on bonus DVD, posters/postcards, etc. Booklet with lots of photos and images of memorabilia and a new essay about the album campaign. 

An LP sized box set, but cheaper as it’s all CDs. 

A hard format / ‘book’ limited CD format with the album and additional tracks on bonus discs, plus a booklet with essay and images. Bonus DVD

A basic CD format in jewel case, with two discs. Only as many bonus tracks as fit on two discs, with any extras left off. 

There’s loads of ways they can bump up the price of a vinyl box set. Including a replica of one of the UK single picture discs, or a replica of a rare international 7” single like Over and Over from Italy or one of Japanese 7” singles that use a different photo such as Dress You Up. Obviously, I would want the exclusive booklet to collect all the cover art from the era. I suspect that any bonus vinyl included as an extra collectible will be something new and exclusive , like the I Rise picture disc in Madame X box and not a replica of some rare vintage release, however. 

2 minutes ago, LongIslandTea said:

I would die for a LAV green vinyl :drama:

why green? If anything Like a Virgin should be white, she wore a white wedding dress on the cover, and it was a callback to her confirmation when she took the name Veronica.

Oh and there were US/Canada promo albums issued on white vinyl as well

https://www.discogs.com/release/1678860-Madonna-Like-A-Virgin

https://www.discogs.com/release/3331556-Madonna-Like-A-Virgin

Oh I completely agree with the earlier user she’s completely fucked this up in terms of revenue. Any deluxe editions wont shift a great deal at all. Had she leant into the anniversaries fifteen years ago around the celebration era I’d have lapped absolutely everything up in terms of purchasing. As would many more people. All those missed 20th and 25ths and 30ths. 
She’s a fool and she really missed the boat as the music industry tectonic plates shifted from underneath her. Warner will have been absolutely screwing. The revenue now will be a tenth of what they could have generated then if that. 
Most of her commercial moves since leaving Warner have been very ill advised. I’m sure she regrets the interescope live nation deal in terms of her profile . The MDNA skin line, the Hard Candy Gyms. 
I can’t think of much that’s been a success and now sadly she’s too late to REALLY make bank. I, like many casual and long term fans, am simply out of the habit of purchasing hard copies of things and have generally cooled on the idea too. 
Any additional content will get a few streams from me and will sit nicely in some playlists. I’ll only purchase anything I really feel is spectacular. Whereas 2009 -12 I’d have bought the lot.  

Honestly the post Warner years have felt like a disaster commercially in so so many ways. 

Celebration tour was a step on course correction and some warm feelings have been generated towards her because of nearly losing her of course, but I think in terms of revenue from legacy releases  pretty much everything depends on the success of the biopic. It really is a bit of a make or break in those terms. Otherwise it’ll be a dribble here or there every two years like the Prince stuff. 
MJ was the only one who really made bank and while his output stopped 8 years before his death they absolutely made the most of the lucrative CD and boxset market. Madonna sadly can only dream of those numbers now. 

I agree with everything but she's never been that type of artist really. Even her first big greatest hits compilation was almost remixed completely and didn't present the hits the way people fell in love with them. "GHV2" she didn't even bother. And "Celebration"... won't even go there. She's never cared about the past.

For better and worse, that "never look back" attitude is what kept her current and on top for almost three decades. As soon as she started looking back and referencing herself in her work (the 10s) everything started to go wrong.

I wonder how Warner feel about this whole new deal. Prince did them dirty when he sort of came back to them in 2014 to have two full new albums released with the promise of future reissues and celebrations (and later he would only approve a 9-track remastered by him "Purple Rain" reissue so Warner said "no" until he was sadly gone) and maybe Madonna has done the same actually... I'm sure Warner would have milked the cow (no pun intended) already if it was just their call.

I’d imagine any deluxe/expanded reissues that happen at this point will look like FEL- primarily digital, with a limited physical release aimed at fans.

There are still so many copies of her reissued vinyl lps in circulation that are aimed at not just fans but casuals/gp. They’re not gonna retract all those, and I can’t imagine they’d put out competing new versions (“180g remastered at half speed” etc).

Look at Immaculate- they digitally released the dolby atmos remaster but they did nothing to change the version on vinyl. They’re still churning out the standard version.

3 minutes ago, MikeyK said:

I’d imagine any deluxe/expanded reissues that happen at this point will look like FEL- primarily digital, with a limited physical release aimed at fans.

"Limited physical release"?  CDs and Vinyls are still available. Sure, the first run of Vinyls ran out, but they came out with the Colored vinyls which doesn't seem to be too scarce at the moment.

1 hour ago, Adonna said:

"Limited physical release"?  CDs and Vinyls are still available. Sure, the first run of Vinyls ran out, but they came out with the Colored vinyls which doesn't seem to be too scarce at the moment.

Yes. Exactly. They did an initial limited run of the full 6 disc version aimed at fans. Once that sold out they repressed it nearly a year later but even that’s primarily sold on rhino’s website being that the demand for it outside of her fanbase likely isn’t huge.