Madonna's Spotify Progress

Fabiolous

It's true her 1998-2000 hits are not remembered or celebrated enough, but what can you do? In a way she was so much on her own lane then (so far from the usual R&B/Pop sound then and the poptastic Max Martin Y2K type productions everyone remembers from the late 1990s and early 00s) than is almost understandable... Playlisters won't put "Frozen" or "Ray Of Light" in between the Britneys, the Christinas, the Spice Girls or Destiny's Child. Doesn't make much sense.

But every now and then someone discovers the "Frozen" video and is amazed by the artistry and the sound. I've seen posts lately on X. It happened also after the "Frozen" Sickick remix viral moment, the video and the original version grew quite a lot thanks to that.

I feel her "Ray Of Light" and "Music" eras are now for those who fall in love with her with other classic monster hits and then get to know her amazing catalogue.

Just now, Debord said:

I don't think people always wanted the 80s stuff at that point at all. Her tours have never leaned heavily on the 80s stuff and folk still show up to see her. But the "general public" is a terrible barometer cos they always want what they know, what's easy and what most reminds them of their youth.

At a certain point they did. The biggest draw of RIT was OMG SHE'S DOING HER OLD SONGS AGAIN and by old songs they meant 80s because the DWT was mostly ROL and Music. That was the draw. For Confessions Hung Up but of course people wanted Live to Tell, Lucky Star, Like a Virgin, La Isla...even S&S it was the 80s songs that got the biggest response like Borderline, LAP, ITG etc. And you're absolutely right. Thats why i never understood why fans would complain about giving the locals what they wanted. I always felt she should go with her artistic instinct but alas...

2 minutes ago, Prayer said:

It's true her 1998-2000 hits are not remembered or celebrated enough, but what can you do? In a way she was so much on her own lane then (so far from the usual R&B/Pop sound then and the poptastic Max Martin Y2K type productions everyone remembers from the late 1990s and early 00s) than is almost understandable... Playlisters won't put "Frozen" or "Ray Of Light" in between the Britneys, the Christinas, the Spice Girls or Destiny's Child. Doesn't make much sense.

But every now and then someone discovers the "Frozen" video and is amazed by the artistry and the sound. I've seen posts lately on X. It happened also after the "Frozen" Sickick remix viral moment, the video and the original version grew quite a lot thanks to that.

I feel her "Ray Of Light" and "Music" eras are now for those who fall in love with her with other classic monster hits and then get to know her amazing catalogue.

That's why we have to hack into people's phones and FORCE THEM.

4 minutes ago, Alpha said:

At a certain point they did. The biggest draw of RIT was OMG SHE'S DOING HER OLD SONGS AGAIN and by old songs they meant 80s because the DWT was mostly ROL and Music. That was the draw. For Confessions Hung Up but of course people wanted Live to Tell, Lucky Star, Like a Virgin, La Isla...even S&S it was the 80s songs that got the biggest response like Borderline, LAP, ITG etc. And you're absolutely right. Thats why i never understood why fans would complain about giving the locals what they wanted. I always felt she should go with her artistic instinct but alas...

Re-Invention was marketed as greatest hits and she still did heaps for her new album at the time. And folk were totally there for new stuff at Confessions (just a few replies ago you said people went mad for Isaac!) Celebration is the first Madonna tour where folk have gone along expecting to hear "the hits" (unless they're wildly out of touch) I mean in the nostalgia scale she's definitely always been more of a Prince or David Bowie than a Cher.

15 minutes ago, Prayer said:

It's interesting to see how trendy the 90's up to 2010's were but then it seems like the trends died off and now people are free to do whatever they want and some got lost or just varied (This is probably the reason for so many type of genres musically and changes of style in life overall) 

10 minutes ago, Debord said:

Re-Invention was marketed as greatest hits and she still did heaps for her new album at the time. And folk were totally there for new stuff at Confessions (just a few replies ago you said people went mad for Isaac!) Celebration is the first Madonna tour where folk have gone along expecting to hear "the hits" (unless they're wildly out of touch) I mean in the nostalgia scale she's definitely always been more of a Prince or David Bowie than a Cher.

Yes but not because it was Isaac was my point lol they still wanted the old stuff and there's that infamous bootleg where right when Futute Lovers finished and Get Together begins you hear someone say "Do you recognize any of these songs?" Lol 

1 minute ago, JustinTimes said:

I wish we could just stick to the topic, it's frustrating having to trawl through pages of irrelevant discourse.

Just ignore then because its even more annoying and whiny when someone says sTiCk To thE ToPiC as if message boards arent open discussion and go off on tangents 🙄

4 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Just ignore then because its even more annoying and whiny when someone says sTiCk To thE ToPiC as if message boards arent open discussion and go off on tangents 🙄

Take your own advice and just ignore, it's even more annoying and whiny 🙄

5 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Yes but not because it was Isaac was my point lol they still wanted the old stuff and there's that infamous bootleg where right when Futute Lovers finished and Get Together begins you hear someone say "Do you recognize any of these songs?" Lol 

That's just a dumbass - Confessions was very clearly one of her most widly successful tours in terms of keeping casuals on board with new material. But I always get annoyed at that stuff anyway - there are artists I've gone to see just cos they're legends and I want to see them at least once, and I always research the songs they play to make sure I know as many as I can. When folk just show up to gigs, often named after a new album, and then complain they don't know the new stuff it really irritates me.

39 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Agreed. Her songs of the 98-00 era were big, but they weren’t part of the overall zeitgeist of the time. 

Who are we talking about in terms of "remembering" or "zeitgeist"? Ray of Light is still considered one of the best albums of all time, is usually named her best album, and both it and Music were massive at the time. I really can't stress enough that streaming is not the world when it comes to measuring the impact and importance of music, especially older artists. I mean people like David Bowie or Elvis or Stevie Wonder are recognised as hugely important, beloved artists and they're not setting Spotify alight.

26 minutes ago, JustinTimes said:

Take your own advice and just ignore, it's even more annoying and whiny 🙄

Lol "I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE BUT WHAT AM I" logic was a cute attempt but at least you tried. Anyway imma still have a discussion so feel free to CONTINUE what I'm reading since you're literally hanging on every word I'm typing and i cant wait to see what other attempt at a "read" or "gotcha" moment you have on your keyboard!

27 minutes ago, Debord said:

That's just a dumbass - Confessions was very clearly one of her most widly successful tours in terms of keeping casuals on board with new material. But I always get annoyed at that stuff anyway - there are artists I've gone to see just cos they're legends and I want to see them at least once, and I always research the songs they play to make sure I know as many as I can. When folk just show up to gigs, often named after a new album, and then complain they don't know the new stuff it really irritates me.

Agreed. Thats why i never understood having to please the normies but alas...here we are! The fact that Take a Bow was #1 for seven weeks and yet forgotten here in the US is crazy to me. Playground too! But it comes down to her ignoring those songs for so long!

5 hours ago, Alpha said:

Because for some reason the narrative changed making it seem as if she only had hits in the 80s. 

I think this is especially true w/the gp here in the US. Gp/casuals in the UK & Europe are prob more welcoming of her later hits but here in particular 80s Madonna is Madonna.

8 minutes ago, MikeyK said:

I think this is especially true w/the gp here in the US. Gp/casuals in the UK & Europe are prob more welcoming of her later hits but here in particular 80s Madonna is Madonna.

Do you ever watch reaction videos? What ive noticed is that alot of the 90s or 00s hits often get a "wait...i think I know this song? This is madonna?" 

And i would assume so because she pretty much abandoned the US for the UK during the Ritchie years so she was more present there than in the US. Hung Up sadly often gets "oh this sounds familiar". 

9 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Do you ever watch reaction videos? What ive noticed is that alot of the 90s or 00s hits often get a "wait...i think I know this song? This is madonna?" 

And i would assume so because she pretty much abandoned the US for the UK during the Ritchie years so she was more present there than in the US. Hung Up sadly often gets "oh this sounds familiar". 

Is it me or did Gimme Gimme Gimme get played a lot more after Hung Up came out? I was never a big ABBA fan, but I knew many of their songs and I never heard that song until Hung Up’s release. But that could just be me. 

MTV still played Madonna heavily reaching younger fans when it came to "Hung Up". Many of those reacting to her videos these days are from that generation/era. "Sorry" got good play too, but after that, most younger generations aren't as familiar with Madonna if they relied on that network for music.  Still, MTV lost the plot before that, so the internet became the source to discover Madonna which was a bit hard being her catalog was scarce, especially after Warner removing her videos when YOUTUBE started becoming huge.

3 minutes ago, adirondak said:

Is it me or did Gimme Gimme Gimme get played a lot more after Hung Up came out? I was never a big ABBA fan, but I knew many of their songs and I never heard that song until Hung Up’s release. But that could just be me. 

I may be wrong but i wanna say Gimme gimme gimme was NOT a US single so it definitely got a boost from Madonna. She even sold their greatest hits at Confessions shows which was cute! But it definitely got a boost by M followed by Mama Mia and then Cher but I'm gonna be bold and say it was Madonna who made people remember/care about that particular song.

7 hours ago, Alpha said:

Lol "I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE BUT WHAT AM I" logic was a cute attempt but at least you tried. Anyway imma still have a discussion so feel free to CONTINUE what I'm reading since you're literally hanging on every word I'm typing and i cant wait to see what other attempt at a "read" or "gotcha" moment you have on your keyboard!

Yes, I'm hanging on to every word, that's why I went to bed.

sam winchester yawn GIF