Madonna's Spotify Progress

Fabiolous

On 8/3/2024 at 11:55 PM, Adonna said:

Maybe she and her team are wanting to allow the attention to LAP  to be as organic as possible. No complaints here if that's the case because it's definitely still getting a lot of attention then it was getting before the movie.

If this was the case that would honestly be the best option. Tons of songs get popular, get put in nearly everything, and then become the next "overrated" song. I would hate to see that happen to a masterpiece such as Like a Prayer. 

4 minutes ago, whiteheat said:

If this was the case that would honestly be the best option. Tons of songs get popular, get put in nearly everything, and then become the next "overrated" song. I would hate to see that happen to a masterpiece such as Like a Prayer. 

Yeah, I don't really believe she and her team thought about pushing the song too greatly.  I'm betting they are just letting it organically take off.  The song was already a huge iconic hit.  This is a song that most people associate with Madonna even if they aren't following her career too closely. Anyway, it's nice the exposure it's getting.  :party:

The video has only grown 2M on YouTube since the movie release. That is quite tragic. Make of that what you will and keep justifying a team that won't do the bare bare bare minimum: a video remaster upscale and merging two versions with millions of streams each one of them on Spotify, so the impact is better.

I don't think anyone's asking for the moon in this case and the bashing is well deserved. It literally takes nothing to do those two things, no one's asking for a "LAP" limited edition picture disc with Lady Deadpool on the cover.

Back to the stats...

Holding on momentum, so let's see if she manages to re-enter the official UK chart this Friday.

5 hours ago, Prayer said:

The video has only grown 2M on YouTube since the movie release. That is quite tragic. Make of that what you will and keep justifying a team that won't do the bare bare bare minimum: a video remaster upscale and merging two versions with millions of streams each one of them on Spotify, so the impact is better.

I don't think anyone's asking for the moon in this case and the bashing is well deserved. It literally takes nothing to do those two things, no one's asking for a "LAP" limited edition picture disc with Lady Deadpool on the cover.

pretty much yep 

Like A Prayer is at number 95 in the UK charts. This is what music week has to say: 

It fails the automatic reset test - which requires it to increase streaming 25% more than the market week-on-week and would see it at No.41 on the Top 75 this week – and has demonstrably not yet been the subject of a manual reset request.

1 hour ago, JustinTimes said:

Like A Prayer is at number 95 in the UK charts. This is what music week has to say: 

It fails the automatic reset test - which requires it to increase streaming 25% more than the market week-on-week and would see it at No.41 on the Top 75 this week – and has demonstrably not yet been the subject of a manual reset request.

WTF honestly.

What a team of losers she has around, really. She would be in the UK Top 50 for two weeks by now.

Depressing.

It is depressing. Good on that publication for stating it publicly.

It really seems like both she and her team didn’t care much about this part of it, or didn’t have much expectation. She was happy to collect that $31 million (that’s how much it was, right?) and make an appearance at the premiere but that was it.

She used her insta post about it to push the silver vinyl. She couldn’t even be bothered to use LAP in her ig posts or stories since.

Her team surely sucks but I wonder if it’s just her, or if it happens to a lot of other older artists. Maybe the ones w/strategic teams that keep their streaming presence tidy are in the minority, and lucky. I looked at Janet’s kworb page and saw a few of her hits with seemingly identical separate listings.

Warner’s never been the most strategic w/her, going back to the 80s. They never were the well oiled machine that knew how to play the game to maximum effect like what Whitney or Mariah had.

23 minutes ago, MikeyK said:

It is depressing. Good on that publication for stating it publicly.

It really seems like both she and her team didn’t care much about this part of it, or didn’t have much expectation. She was happy to collect that $31 million (that’s how much it was, right?) and make an appearance at the premiere but that was it.

She used her insta post about it to push the silver vinyl. She couldn’t even be bothered to use LAP in her ig posts or stories since.

Her team surely sucks but I wonder if it’s just her, or if it happens to a lot of other older artists. Maybe the ones w/strategic teams that keep their streaming presence tidy are in the minority, and lucky. I looked at Janet’s kworb page and saw a few of her hits with seemingly identical separate listings.

Warner’s never been the most strategic w/her, going back to the 80s. They never were the well oiled machine that knew how to play the game to maximum effect like what Whitney or Mariah had.

I'd like to think it's not her and she doesn't know - honestly is not her direct job to care, she has a manager and a label and it is their job.

She cares about the charts and is fully aware she's not a chart force anymore, she complained about in with Billboard in 2019:

I'd like to think she'd get mad if she knew she could be charting now way higher in the UK than a lame #95 and she's not because the company are not doing their job and her manager is not asking the company to do their job. Hope the news get to her.

And yeah, we know the song was already #1 in 1989.

11 minutes ago, pawn_shop_blues said:

Guy O is her good friend maybe but definitely not good manager. Her management is shiit and then she cries about ageism. It's not always about ageism, she need an active team and young people around her but of course not like ricardo who just cares about his paycheck. 

I mean, Guy O is obviously good hustling for the big cheques. Look at all the shitty but lucrative projects he got her post Ritchie divorce for her to get some money back: the gyms, the perfume, the clothes, whatever. And lately Rio or now Deadpool (the movie surely was more Warner, but anyway).

So OK, keep Guy O for those and for the years of loyalty but PLEASE hire a younger digital assistant to help with stuff like this "Like A Prayer" post-movie thing. She desperately needs someone for that. Emily is just not enough either.

1 hour ago, Prayer said:

WTF honestly.

What a team of losers she has around, really. She would be in the UK Top 50 for two weeks by now.

Depressing.

Don't get me started, I've been fuming all week. I was hoping Madonna and/or her useless team would do their jobs properly, but no. Same old rubbish from them.

Like A Prayer has now sold 1,500,701 copies in the UK. A bit of a hollow victory for me though.

3 hours ago, pawn_shop_blues said:

Guy O is her good friend maybe but definitely not good manager. Her management is shiit and then she cries about ageism. It's not always about ageism, she need an active team and young people around her but of course not like ricardo who just cares about his paycheck. 

What was her management like in the 00s? That's when I first became a fan. They were definitely doing something right because I fell in love with her during the American Life era so something was cutting through.

6 hours ago, BoyToyMark said:

What was her management like in the 00s? That's when I first became a fan. They were definitely doing something right because I fell in love with her during the American Life era so something was cutting through.

Her manager during late 90s and early 00s was Caresse Henry, who did wonders for her during "Ray Of Light" and "Music". She was a much needed younger energy over legendary but older by then Freddy DeMann (her manager until 1996 I think). Even with "American Life", a difficult era for Madonna, Caresse was able to provide with as many opportunities for her as she could, and she had a quite busy 2003.

But something happened in 2004/2005 (no one knows what) and she was fired. And then Guy O took over.

7 hours ago, BoyToyMark said:

Same here, idk I was a kid at that time . I get the knowledge from here haha. I became her fan around that time too. 

Thank you @Prayer🙏🏻

5 hours ago, Prayer said:

Her manager during late 90s and early 00s was Caresse Henry, who did wonders for her during "Ray Of Light" and "Music". She was a much needed younger energy over legendary but older by then Freddy DeMann (her manager until 1996 I think). Even with "American Life", a difficult era for Madonna, Caresse was able to provide with as many opportunities for her as she could, and she had a quite busy 2003.

But something happened in 2004/2005 (no one knows what) and she was fired. And then Guy O took over.

It looks like Caresse really nailed it and I think Guy O did pretty well at the job 2005-2011.

4 minutes ago, JustinTimes said:

Does anyone know if I play Like A Prayer 12" Dance Mix off Spotify, does that count towards Like A Prayer singles sales and contribute to her chart position? It's very confusing.

Each country has their own chart rules. Where are you based?

But in general in the US, UK, etc. I think all versions, remixes also, count towards the main song I think?

On 8/10/2024 at 12:38 PM, BoyToyMark said:

It looks like Caresse really nailed it and I think Guy O did pretty well at the job 2005-2011.

Guy got very lucky off the back of Abba and Stuart Price at the beginning of his time as M's manager. 

Confessions was brilliant and Madonna was hungry as fuck but none of the eras success is down to Guy. 

What was down to Guy is getting Madonna to move away from Warner which I think was a mistake to this day and is largely why the Confessions singles felt pretty shunted / rushed out after Hung Up. Sorry being Madonnas self proclaimed CHAV video, the monstrous artworks and videos for Get Together & Jump. The era should have been as beautifully presented as Ray Of Light for all its success but Guy obviously wasn't in there fighting hard enough. Even Music and American Life had more expensive videos. I'd say the same for the Hard Candy era which was the true beginning of the demise of her commercial career. While Gaga was DOMINATING the medium. MDNA was an absolute joke with its non traditional promo. The lack of security during the Rebel Heart era that fucked everything up and the frenetic way she was shipped about to work with people which made her loathe the process. "Yes manning" some of her most patchy work. Guy was and is about the money and not the art. He was all about getting corporate deals and quick win minimum effort cash with no real care for her career trajectory in my eyes. I genuinely think he's been absolutely dreadful for her and you can mark the downturn of her career at his arrival in the front passenger seat.  No other era has been as tumultuous and erratic in her career. Even the commercial flops and hate fuelled eras of Erotica and American Life delivered luxurious and considered campaigns. 

On 8/13/2024 at 1:18 AM, steady75 said:

Guy got very lucky off the back of Abba and Stuart Price at the beginning of his time as M's manager. 

Confessions was brilliant and Madonna was hungry as fuck but none of the eras success is down to Guy. 

What was down to Guy is getting Madonna to move away from Warner which I think was a mistake to this day and is largely why the Confessions singles felt pretty shunted / rushed out after Hung Up. Sorry being Madonnas self proclaimed CHAV video, the monstrous artworks and videos for Get Together & Jump. The era should have been as beautifully presented as Ray Of Light for all its success but Guy obviously wasn't in there fighting hard enough. Even Music and American Life had more expensive videos. I'd say the same for the Hard Candy era which was the true beginning of the demise of her commercial career. While Gaga was DOMINATING the medium. MDNA was an absolute joke with its non traditional promo. The lack of security during the Rebel Heart era that fucked everything up and the frenetic way she was shipped about to work with people which made her loathe the process. "Yes manning" some of her most patchy work. Guy was and is about the money and not the art. He was all about getting corporate deals and quick win minimum effort cash with no real care for her career trajectory in my eyes. I genuinely think he's been absolutely dreadful for her and you can mark the downturn of her career at his arrival in the front passenger seat.  No other era has been as tumultuous and erratic in her career. Even the commercial flops and hate fuelled eras of Erotica and American Life delivered luxurious and considered campaigns. 

You make an interesting point and I do agree with most of that. However I think the videos still look really good 06-09. I also think Hard Candy commercially, the album and the singles were not a decline and at 50, she was really pushing what could happen commercially. Hard Candy sold fantastically and 4 Minutes and Give It 2 Me did also. Miles Away obviously needed more support around it but plans for Celebration were already in place. 4 Minutes and Give It 2 Me still do well streaming wise now! And you can see that in this thread too.

I do feel though his mistakes really started to show at the beginning of 2012 and really shaped a lot of the Interscope era and the changes he brought were more obvious.