Madonna's Spotify Progress

Fabiolous

On 8/17/2024 at 6:45 AM, DiegoLCL said:

Celebration was cursed from day 1 and stil haunting us after all these years. 
The running order, selection of songs, the poor remastering, the lack of cohesiveness of the chosen versions, botched edits... a nightmare. :Madonna040:

Keep Celebration and Revolver as singles, delete the rest from existence and make a chronological playlist with the single edits/versions instead, I'd say.

I kind of follow what you're saying, but I think an even better idea would be if they digitally reissued and remastered 'Celebration' with all the correct single versions and made sure they were all merged so they counted towards streams.

So rather than remove it, use it and provide a higher quality product.

22 hours ago, Would You Like To Try said:

NOOOo! "It's so Cool" why delete it?

I also love It's So Cool! 

21 hours ago, Adonna said:

To me, that just seems wrong!  It should be so much more!  Then again, you needn't to follow her on Spotify to still enjoy her  and her music on the platform. 

Agreed! Madonna should be on about 20 million. Whitney, Mariah and even Celine Dion are higher, but Madonna has more monthly listeners, I don't get it. Maybe people like to secretly play Madonna songs.

22 minutes ago, steady75 said:

You can't image there would be bots for these big artists it's the smaller ones who need the cash. What kind of world is this. I also think New Music Friday should be an auto shuffle playlist to get rid of that specific payola method. 

Oh honey, Spotify was literally built on piracy (they started by putting music online that they didn't even have the rights to use, grew on that enough to have power to force labels to join them) and bots. And playlist payola. FOR YEARS they've done nothing about it cause 1) it benefited their model and 2) it made labels and their big artists look good, meaning they were happy, meaning they stayed on the platform.

Cut to Spotify suddenly getting serious about it this year and going after playlist payola and fake accounts like it was the most important thing in the world for them when they've done NOTHING about it in 15 years.

They now have a penalty model where they charge labels $10 per track per month when they detect a song has had more than 90% of their total streams as artificial streams that month.

90%!!!!! So 89% is cool.

In the meantime the smaller artists and the songwriters starve and are paid cents for their music - oh well, not even that, the minimum now to get paid is 1.000 streams in 12 months, anything below that Spotify keeps the money. Which you may think, "well, they're only cents", yes but multiply those cents for thousands of independent small artists! Spotify says they now share that money between the rest of the artists with more than 1.000 streams per track. But I don't want fucking Ed Sheehan getting my Dannii Minogue cents! Dannii should get her "0.50" royalty pay for "Everlasting Night 1999"! xd

Honestly Spotify can go to hell. The streaming model needs to be reconsidered entirely. ALL the artists in the world don't make a living with our $11 monthly subscription and we all know that.

54 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Oh honey, Spotify was literally built on piracy (they started by putting music online that they didn't even have the rights to use, grew on that enough to have power to force labels to join them) and bots. And playlist payola. FOR YEARS they've done nothing about it cause 1) it benefited their model and 2) it made labels and their big artists look good, meaning they were happy, meaning they stayed on the platform.

Cut to Spotify suddenly getting serious about it this year and going after playlist payola and fake accounts like it was the most important thing in the world for them when they've done NOTHING about it in 15 years.

They now have a penalty model where they charge labels $10 per track per month when they detect a song has had more than 90% of their total streams as artificial streams that month.

90%!!!!! So 89% is cool.

In the meantime the smaller artists and the songwriters starve and are paid cents for their music - oh well, not even that, the minimum now to get paid is 1.000 streams in 12 months, anything below that Spotify keeps the money. Which you may think, "well, they're only cents", yes but multiply those cents for thousands of independent small artists! Spotify says they now share that money between the rest of the artists with more than 1.000 streams per track. But I don't want fucking Ed Sheehan getting my Dannii Minogue cents! Dannii should get her "0.50" royalty pay for "Everlasting Night 1999"! xd

Honestly Spotify can go to hell. The streaming model needs to be reconsidered entirely. ALL the artists in the world don't make a living with our $11 monthly subscription and we all know that.

What about Tidal? 

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

What about Tidal? 

They had a shady start (remember the infamous 2015 launch with all the celebrities and all the info later about Jay-Z inflating numbers behind the scenes) but nowadays is well regarded in general and it's said to pay the artists more fairly.

Apple Music also pays better than Spotify.

1 minute ago, Prayer said:

They had a shady start (remember the infamous 2015 launch with all the celebrities and all the info later about Jay-Z inflating numbers behind the scenes) but nowadays is well regarded in general and it's said to pay the artists more fairly.

Apple Music also pays better than Spotify.

I remember Jay Z Drake and most importantly Beyonce faking numbers through streaming farms and all of a sudden POOF! it's like it never happened. That is good if they are paying artists fairly. Ugh i love Spotify and I really feel torn now 😭😭😭

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

I remember Jay Z Drake and most importantly Beyonce faking numbers through streaming farms and all of a sudden POOF! it's like it never happened. That is good if they are paying artists fairly. Ugh i love Spotify and I really feel torn now 😭😭😭

I said more fairly, not fairly xd Let's be honest, the streaming model is the issue. You don't pay fairly to artists, producers, songwriters, with a $10 monthly subscription, not even with a $20 one. Hollywood had the writer's strike and they made good advances on that, but music business is much shadier and everyone's on their own in a way.

This is what all of them are said to pay for 1.000 streams:

TIDAL: $13

Apple Music: $10

Spotify: $4.37

Don't feel bad for using Spotify, it's the way it is. It's convenient and it's the alternative to the whole world of Internet piracy existing before it. Prior to that, it was all the iTunes Store and piracy.

But something needs to be done to go to the next step, I don't know what, of course. But the model doesn't work.

I still use iTunes to purchase albums or song when I want to properly support the artist. They get 70% of the sale (well, the label), Apple keeps the other 30%. Which seems fair, to be honest. Actually I was quite happy with the iTunes/digital sales model pre-streaming.

Just now, Prayer said:

I said more fairly, not fairly xd Let's be honest, the streaming model is the issue. You don't pay fairly to artists, producers, songwriters, with a $10 monthly subscription, not even with a $20 one. Hollywood had the writer's strike and they made good advances on that, but music business is much shadier and everyone's on their own in a way.

This is what all of them are said to pay for 1.000 streams:

TIDAL: $13

Apple Music: $10

Spotify: $4.37

Don't feel bad for using Spotify, it's the way it is. It's convenient and it's the alternative to the whole world of Internet piracy existing before it. Prior to that, it was all the iTunes Store and piracy.

But something needs to be done to go to the next step, I don't know what, of course. But the model doesn't work.

I still use iTunes to purchase albums or song when I want to properly support the artist. They get 70% of the sale (well, the label), Apple keeps the other 30%. Which seems fair, to be honest. Actually I was quite happy with the iTunes/digital sales model pre-streaming.

I love streaming, it's helped me really connect to music in a much different way and go through my life. Sounds silly but connecting with music is so beautiful and helps keep me sane in this crazy crazy world lol

Speaking of spotify shadiness, did you all notice when the LAP merge happened roughly 7 million streams were “lost”? I wonder what that was about. At first I thought maybe it was some kind of penalty or fee so to speak for merging, but maybe those were bot streams.

13 minutes ago, MikeyK said:

Speaking of spotify shadiness, did you all notice when the LAP merge happened roughly 7 million streams were “lost”? I wonder what that was about. At first I thought maybe it was some kind of penalty or fee so to speak for merging, but maybe those were bot streams.

Yes, I saw this on one the Madonna charts accounts on X. No idea what happened to those 7M lost in the process!

So Spotify rolled back the changes they were doing this week and big artists are back with their previous monthly listeners figures: Madonna is +40M again (she was 36M just hours ago), The Weeknd 105M...

Wonder what happened there and if they big labels complained.

4 minutes ago, JustinTimes said:

Do we still know if I'll Take You There Choir version of Like A Prayer contributes to Madonna Like A Prayer sales?

We don't... but I tend to believe it does? That UK Top 30 last week surely had all the help it could get.

The Choir version is still growing this week, so if "LAP" is still in the UK Top 30 this Friday or even going up, I think we can confirm it counts, at least there.

9 minutes ago, Prayer said:

We don't... but I tend to believe it does? That UK Top 30 last week surely had all the help it could get.

The Choir version is still growing this week, so if "LAP" is still in the UK Top 30 this Friday or even going up, I think we can confirm it counts, at least there.

I think it's confusing, It is on Madonna's EP with her name on it :confused:

5 hours ago, JustinTimes said:

Do we still know if I'll Take You There Choir version of Like A Prayer contributes to Madonna Like A Prayer sales?

Not sure, but since it’s part of the ep and Madonna’s the credited artist it might.

For what it’s worth LAP is # 16 on Billboard’s hot digital single sales chart.

11 hours ago, JustinTimes said:

I think it's confusing, It is on Madonna's EP with her name on it :confused:

I can't imagine it does. The counts will go towards the person covering it.  It would be just like if Madonna was included on some particular compilation playlist.  It would count towards her not the Artist/Compilation the EP is named for. :)

Let's update this B:

- All Time Top 50 updated (Official, not merged):

01. Popular (The Weeknd, Playboi Carti & Madonna): 896M

02. Like A Prayer (Album Version/"Celebration" Version): 480M

03. Material Girl ("Celebration"/Digital Single Version): 463M

04. Hung Up: 451M

05. La Isla Bonita: 411M

06. 4 Minutes ("Celebration"/Edit Version): 333M

07. Like A Virgin ("Like A Virgin" Album Version): 293M

08. Vogue ("Celebration"/"Immaculate" Version): 241M

09. Frozen (Sickick Remix): 176M

10. Crazy For You: 141M

11. Papa Don't Preach: 138M

12. Into The Groove: 131M

13. Holiday ("Madonna" Digital Album Edit Version): 112M

14. Bitch I'm Madonna: 101M

15. Frozen ("Ray Of Light" Album Version): 87M

16. Music: 85M

17. Holiday ("Celebration"/Original Album Version): 83M

18. Medellín: 72M

19. Sorry ("Confessions" Album Version): 69M

20. Me Against The Music (Britney Spears Feat. Madonna): 67M

21. Levitating (Dua Lipa Remix): 64M

22. Live To Tell: 61M

23. Take A Bow: 61M

24. American Pie: 57M

25. Material Girl ("Like A Virgin" Album Version): 56M

26. Ray Of Light ("Ray Of Light" Album Version): 56M

27. 4 Minutes ("Hard Candy" Album Version): 55M

28. True Blue: 53M

29. Girl Gone Wild: 53M

30. The Power Of Good-Bye: 52M

31. Like A Virgin ("Celebration"/"Immaculate" Version): 52M

32. Give It 2 Me: 49M

33. Faz Gostoso: 47M

34. Jump: 45M

35. Express Yourself ("Celebration" Version): 44M

36. Die Another Day: 43M

38. Borderline ("Celebration" Version): 42M

38. Celebration ("Celebration" Album Version): 40M

39. Ghosttown: 39M

40. Give Me All Your Luvin': 38M

41. Back That Up To The Beat (Demo Version): 38M

42. Who's That Girl: 38M

43. Living For Love: 36M

44. Frozen ("Celebration" Extended Version): 35M

45. Don't Tell Me (Album Version): 35M

46. Open Your Heart ("Celebration" Version): 34M

47. Lucky Star ("Madonna" Album Version): 34M

48. Get Together: 27M

49. Beautiful Stranger ("Celebration"/OST Album Version): 27M

50. Vogue ("I'm Breathless" Album Edit): 27M

18 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Let's update this B:

01. Popular (The Weeknd, Playboi Carti & Madonna): 896M

02. Like A Prayer (Album Version/"Celebration" Version): 480M

03. Material Girl ("Celebration"/Digital Single Version): 463M

04. Hung Up: 451M

05. La Isla Bonita: 411M

06. 4 Minutes ("Celebration"/Edit Version): 333M

07. Like A Virgin ("Like A Virgin" Album Version): 293M

08. Vogue ("Celebration"/"Immaculate" Version): 241M

09. Frozen (Sickick Remix): 176M

10. Crazy For You: 141M

11. Papa Don't Preach: 138M

12. Into The Groove: 131M

13. Holiday ("Madonna" Digital Album Edit Version): 112M

14. Bitch I'm Madonna: 101M

15. Frozen ("Ray Of Light" Album Version): 87M

16. Music: 85M

17. Holiday ("Celebration"/Original Album Version): 83M

18. Medellín: 72M

19. Sorry ("Confessions" Album Version): 69M

20. Me Against The Music (Britney Spears Feat. Madonna): 67M

21. Levitating (Dua Lipa Remix): 64M

22. Live To Tell: 61M

23. Take A Bow: 61M

24. American Pie: 57M

25. Material Girl ("Like A Virgin" Album Version): 56M

26. Ray Of Light ("Ray Of Light" Album Version): 56M

27. 4 Minutes ("Hard Candy" Album Version): 55M

28. True Blue: 53M

29. Girl Gone Wild: 53M

30. The Power Of Good-Bye: 52M

31. Like A Virgin ("Celebration"/"Immaculate" Version): 52M

32. Give It 2 Me: 49M

33. Faz Gostoso: 47M

34. Jump: 45M

35. Express Yourself ("Celebration" Version): 44M

36. Die Another Day: 43M

38. Borderline ("Celebration" Version): 42M

38. Celebration ("Celebration" Album Version): 40M

39. Ghosttown: 39M

40. Give Me All Your Luvin': 38M

41. Back That Up To The Beat (Demo Version): 38M

42. Who's That Girl: 38M

43. Living For Love: 36M

44. Frozen ("Celebration" Extended Version): 35M

45. Don't Tell Me (Album Version): 35M

46. Open Your Heart ("Celebration" Version): 34M

47. Lucky Star ("Madonna" Album Version): 34M

48. Get Together: 27M

49. Beautiful Stranger ("Celebration"/OST Album Version): 27M

50. Vogue ("I'm Breathless" Album Edit): 27M

It’s wild to me that for someone generally considered a legacy artist at this stage, she has six songs within her top 50 that are from the last 5 years (Popular, Frozen (Sickick Remix), Medellín, Levitating, Faz Gostozo & Back That Up To The Beat). You.

Frozen and BTUTTB are obviously thanks to TikTok, but for all we criticise her team for being slow to react to these things at least they have been able to covert this into streaming numbers  

14 minutes ago, Veronica-Electronica said:

It’s wild to me that for someone generally considered a legacy artist at this stage, she has six songs within her top 50 that are from the last 5 years (Popular, Frozen (Sickick Remix), Medellín, Levitating, Faz Gostozo & Back That Up To The Beat). You.

Frozen and BTUTTB are obviously thanks to TikTok, but for all we criticise her team for being slow to react to these things at least they have been able to covert this into streaming numbers  

She definitely has better streaming numbers than most people (and fans) give her credit it for.

And that's probably without any big playlist payola or "help" in the last decade, since she was out of Warner when streaming took over (so they wouldn't spend money to boost an artist already outside her roster) and we've seen her team doesn't really know or care about those things and take ages to the basics all digital related.

With proper playlist pushes every other label and artist used until now Spotify has decided they won't allow it? She would be even higher in figures.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update:

01. Popular (The Weeknd, Playboi Carti & Madonna): 910M

02. Like A Prayer (Album Version/"Celebration" Version): 490M

03. Material Girl ("Celebration"/Digital Single Version): 467M

04. Hung Up: 455M

05. La Isla Bonita: 415M

06. 4 Minutes ("Celebration"/Edit Version): 338M

07. Like A Virgin ("Like A Virgin" Album Version): 295M

08. Vogue ("Celebration"/"Immaculate" Version): 242M

09. Frozen (Sickick Remix): 177M