Single Reissues Campaign - Causing a Commotion - OUT NOW

New_Boy

9 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Ugh, don’t even get me started on the Rebel Heart album; it really pisses me off. It’s the only time Madonna has really disappointed me. She had that amazing album with Avicii and then came out with that "remix" album.

And please, let’s get back to talking about the singles on streaming. We’re getting too off-topic.

So what's your favourite Ghosttown official remix ever? You are FORBIDDEN to mention the Offer Nissim one, hehe!!! Pick up any other instead!!!!

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

I detest Interscope. They ruined 'MDNA' with bad promotion and singles. Well, at least we have the tour (although it's horribly edited and mastered).

To be fair, I don't think M releases anything she doesn't want to (*points broadly at everything reissues*) but I definitely agree that it had bad singles although Turn Up the Radio should've remained as club promo single for the summer and you can pry the Girl Gone Wild (uncensored) music video from my cold dead fingers.

(I also think Gang Bang should've been a single but the consensus seems to be it wasn't commercial enough, so what do I know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

10 minutes ago, vncsmoraes said:

(I also think Gang Bang should've been a single but the consensus seems to be it wasn't commercial enough, so what do I know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

The highlight of ‘Gang Bang’ was more the Tarantino video than the song. Those were the days when YouTube had a lot of influence with music videos. Still, I think there were songs that could have worked really well as singles and with great remixes.

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

Ugh, don’t even get me started on the Rebel Heart album; it really pisses me off. It’s the only time Madonna has really disappointed me. She had that amazing album with Avicii and then came out with that "remix" album.

And please, let’s get back to talking about the singles on streaming. We’re getting too off-topic.

But isnt the album version the closest to the original demo version? The "avicii" remix is the one all the fans love. Dont ask me why but that's when i knew the fanbase was no longer connected to the zeitgeist and the zeitgeist was no longet interested in M. It shocked me how out of touch M fans were when they complained about the trap influences and BIM should've been the first single and she would've been the first major pop star to utilize that genre...and then Unapologetic Bitch 🙄 now that song was definitely ahead of the curb since just a few months later Ariana had that song side to side and everyone else followed suit. Diplo was definitely the most under utilized producer she's ever worked with!!!

5 minutes ago, Alpha said:

But isnt the album version the closest to the original demo version? The "avicii" remix is the one all the fans love. Dont ask me why but that's when i knew the fanbase was no longer connected to the zeitgeist and the zeitgeist was no longet interested in M. It shocked me how out of touch M fans were when they complained about the trap influences and BIM should've been the first single and she would've been the first major pop star to utilize that genre...and then Unapologetic Bitch 🙄 now that song was definitely ahead of the curb since just a few months later Ariana had that song side to side and everyone else followed suit. Diplo was definitely the most under utilized producer she's ever worked with!!!

Out of touch or  not, we’re the ones buying her records.

10 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I always thought "Unapologetic Bitch" was her watching Rihanna and Shakira rubbing against each other over a light reggae beat in "Can't Remember To Forget You" (out January 2014) and her wanting to have a similar vibe:

I don't think the Diplo tracks were that that ahead of the curve, even the best of them, "Bitch I'm Madonna", wasn't that avantgarde then. Diplo is a little bit a one-trick pony.

The "Rebel Heart" album was her flopping so badly with "MDNA" that she said "OK, I'm going to be as commercial and current as I can be" and yet flopping anyway, so later she did whatever she wanted on "Madame X".

I loved "Rebel Heart" (album) when it was released but I also find it incredibly dated now.

22 minutes ago, Prayer said:

I always thought "Unapologetic Bitch" was her watching Rihanna and Shakira rubbing against each other over a light reggae beat in "Can't Remember To Forget You" (out January 2014) and her wanting to have a similar vibe:

I don't think the Diplo tracks were that that ahead of the curve, even the best of them, "Bitch I'm Madonna", wasn't that avantgarde then. Diplo is a little bit a one-trick pony.

The "Rebel Heart" album was her flopping so badly with "MDNA" that she said "OK, I'm going to be as commercial and current as I can be" and yet flopping anyway, so later she did whatever she wanted on "Madame X".

I loved "Rebel Heart" (album) when it was released but I also find it incredibly dated now.

Nah there was really nothing mainstream like the Diplo songs. Just a few months after everyone had that sound tho and everyone went mad over SOPHIE and that "hyperpop" sound. Even Gaga had to rush and use Blood Diamonds aka Bloodpop on her next album. Everyone wanted to be like Grimes. But what did we get? A generic boring house song as the lead and then a dusty ol AC ballad that had more cobwebs than the dusty buttholes of the fans. There's a reason why BIM was the only charting one (and actually had buzz before the video) and is still the Rebel Heart track that gets streamed.

13 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Nah there was really nothing mainstream like the Diplo songs. Just a few months after everyone had that sound tho and everyone went mad over SOPHIE and that "hyperpop" sound. Even Gaga had to rush and use Blood Diamonds aka Bloodpop on her next album. Everyone wanted to be like Grimes. But what did we get? A generic boring house song as the lead and then a dusty ol AC ballad that had more cobwebs than the dusty buttholes of the fans. There's a reason why BIM was the only charting one (and actually had buzz before the video) and is still the Rebel Heart track that gets streamed.

Kanye is all over the album (even on some of the tracks he didn’t co-produce) and he was on his commercial peak at that time. Mike Dean as well. RH was a VERY current album in 2015, thanks to leaving most of the original Avicii 2012/2013 sound behind. But it was so current then than it sounds completely dated now.

9 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Kanye is all over the album (even on some of the tracks he didn’t co-produce) and he was on his commercial peak at that time. Mike Dean as well. RH was a VERY current album in 2015, thanks to leaving most of the original Avicii 2012/2013 sound behind. But it was so current then than it sounds completely dated now.

But the Kanye songs are not the ones I'm talking about and especially since they weren't singles. I'm definitely not a RH stan, but had she not even attempted giving us a softer side (which i definitely think was due to MDNA) and just given us balls to the wall Diplo Major Lazer tracks we could've and should've had hits. Instead fans cried for Ghosttown 🙄 the whole era before the tour was her looking so bored repeating the same lines about her rebel side and her romantic side and singing that dusty song. 

3 minutes ago, Would You Like To Try said:

Really? Dead because there was a Super Deluxe Version back then and was removed later I think

Both are still up at least in the US...funny how they both use the deluxe cover with the rubber bands when the superdeluxe physical version is the black and red mouth gaga photo 

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

The highlight of ‘Gang Bang’ was more the Tarantino video than the song. Those were the days when YouTube had a lot of influence with music videos. Still, I think there were songs that could have worked really well as singles and with great remixes.

I feel like anything in the Interscope era was touch and go single wise. 

20 minutes ago, BoyToyMark said:

Maybe, but it’s clear that many fans feel there was great material that could have been released as singles, with music videos that could have been epic, and yet they chose songs that didn’t even resonate with fans. Personally, I think Madonna might have kept the best tracks for album sales, especially since it was the era when CD single sales were declining. 

For me, as a fan, the Interscope era feels like a misstep in Madonna's career—despite the existence of some very good material, singles and music videos both missed the mark. Although, it was a significant financial deal for Madonna and she's the boss...

2 hours ago, BoyToyMark said:

What's interesting is that there was SO much hype leading up to it. One of the first tidbits we got was that apparently they wanted her to work with RedOne and that she was FIRMLY against it. People were HYPED. It really had all the making of a blockbuster album but unfortunately GMAYL killer all the hype. People just did not like that song and when GGW premiered, people didnt hate it but they felt it was beneath her. When that megamix preview first premiered all the fans were pissed that TUTR was not the lead then of course after it was released fans were just over it.

2 hours ago, BoyToyMark said:

Not me! They picked which songs were pretty commercial. But I knew that it would get limited exposure. No commercial outlet is willing to play a 60+ year old artist on any pop format that has always been geared to 40 and under.  I'm sure if she was among the age range, she would have scored bigger hits with her Interscope singles. 

That being said, she still dominated some dance and alternative charts for older artists. :)

6 minutes ago, Alpha said:

What's interesting is that there was SO much hype leading up to it. One of the first tidbits we got was that apparently they wanted her to work with RedOne and that she was FIRMLY against it. People were HYPED. It really had all the making of a blockbuster album but unfortunately GMAYL killer all the hype. People just did not like that song and when GGW premiered, people didnt hate it but they felt it was beneath her. When that megamix preview first premiered all the fans were pissed that TUTR was not the lead then of course after it was released fans were just over it.

Yes, I remember this haha

1 minute ago, Adonna said:

Not me! They picked which songs were pretty commercial. But I knew that it would get limited exposure. No commercial outlet is willing to play a 60+ artist on any pop format that has always been geared to 40 and under.  I'm sure if she was among the age range, she would have scored bigger hits with her Interscope singles. 

I think you're right. I mean the singles and their performance were touch and go, as in what would actually generate into actual hits. But I think the right songs were chosen mostly.

2 minutes ago, BoyToyMark said:

I think you're right. I mean the singles and their performance were touch and go, as in what would actually generate into actual hits. But I think the right songs were chosen mostly.

A lot of fans forget, she, her record company and team choose singles which will resonate with the general public, not just the fans. Fans will always favor other songs chosen, but the fact is, commercial music usually keeps it more simple and fun. Of course, there are always ballads and other songs that catch on, but most record companies picks songs that will be less offensive and more relatable to anyone listening.  A song like "Turn Up The Radio" and "GMAYL" are quite simple and fun songs. They might not be too deep, but some of the biggest pop songs in history never had much substance.  Still, it always depends.  But Madonna's had a mix array of songs.  After awhile, people move on from ground breaking artists such as Madonna, so she always has to provide safe songs that may relate to general audiences.