Single Reissues Campaign - Causing a Commotion - OUT NOW

New_Boy

54 minutes ago, steady75 said:

I don't think streaming will ever decline. It's here to stay as the dominant force but record companies are a business. The distinction between physical product and streaming versions will widen vastly...and it wont just be vinyl editions,  in fact they're inhibiting and costly and have a higher chance of damage and returns. 

If record companies could get back to downloads or CD''s as an increasingly dominant product they'd do it tomorrow. There is more revenue from one CD purchase than the average user could ever generate over a lifetime of streaming the same album.

They  know fans will want physical products and the artists full vision. The 80 minute CD or non time LTD paid download is a window of business opportunity for them to cater to that need. This is the way it's going. Streaming will become the shop window or taster event. It will be the edited versions available only. The second option is for streaming to have a third tier experience where you can pay a much greater premium price for full content of all artists or a ltd number of artists of album per year (your faves), or even a ltd number of albums per month that you'd have to select. 

The streaming business model will become more complex over time. If the royalties debacle doesn't sway in writers, producers and performers favour soon we'll potentially see another writers strike in music like there is in in film & TV in the states. 

Streaming : Basic edit album version & all single releases.

CD & Download : Artists curated version (and probably edit version too for collectors) Perhaps with with a unique specific QR code to scan with your smart phone on each CD to unlock the streaming version for convenience. Remember Safescan?

Vinyl : I think the colours variants are here to stay but it will peak. 

There's a possibility we'll see a rise in 12" singles and CD singles again with the full length remixes while the edits will remain on streaming.

Local files could end up being be a thing of the past to deter the piracy element.

My bet (which is seeming to come more and more true) is that artists are going to add more exclusive content on the physical items, and then as you said, provide edited versions of albums and songs on streaming platforms.  It makes sense because they could make more money from the physical formats. 

I've never cared that artists provide their complete catalog on Streaming platforms.  It seems like a very daunting task, especially expecting every little edit and remix to be available.  Madonna is one of the few artists that is growing closer and closer in including her complete catalog and most originally released commercial releases on streaming platforms.  It's definitely a nice thing for a hardcore fan to have everything stream-able, but there will always be songs and remixes that won't be available or less promoted to streaming platforms because they know it only appeals to the fans and not the general public. I'm doubting the Power of Goodbye remixes on streaming platforms would appeal to anyone but hardcore fans or those who are actual fans of those remixes. Even I, a hardcore fan, really have no interest in listening to them again.  If I do, I'll just pull out the physical copies I have. And it's not like you can't find any of those mixes on Youtube or other platforms either, if I'm that desperate in listening to them.

To be honest i think most of you who say physical will come back are probably 35+ years old. I am too and I love physical items, but at least i know literal 0 people under 30 that will buy a physical cd or vinyl. 

I would really like to see the demographics of people buying vinyl. I think (and this is an opinion, not a fact) that most of the physical sales are done to older people who want the nostalgia of it. But newer generations don’t seem to be here for cd or vinyl

i agree streaming or some other form of it (YouTube, tik tok, whatever) is the norm that will lead the way for at least the next 10 years. 

8 hours ago, Diieeego said:

To be honest i think most of you who say physical will come back are probably 35+ years old. I am too and I love physical items, but at least i know literal 0 people under 30 that will buy a physical cd or vinyl. 

I would really like to see the demographics of people buying vinyl. I think (and this is an opinion, not a fact) that most of the physical sales are done to older people who want the nostalgia of it. But newer generations don’t seem to be here for cd or vinyl

i agree streaming or some other form of it (YouTube, tik tok, whatever) is the norm that will lead the way for at least the next 10 years. 

This is actually wrong, lots of young people are buying vinyl. Just open  TikTok and you’ll see. Why do you think Taylor Swift and others “young” singers are making 50 colored variants of each album? 

1 hour ago, Cyberraga said:

Everything would turn out differently if Hollywood was the lead single instead of American Life.

Oh the alternative universe where that record is actually called Hollywood and starts with the birdsong intro, lead single would be Nothing Fails, Intervention would be one after a slight remix and AL would start with the synths instead of the acapella intro and would segue into nobody knows me, DAD would be the first track of the bonus disc which would include extended and alternative mixes of album tracks, I want to live in that world

8 hours ago, Diieeego said:

Absolute nonsense! Were you on cheap Prosecco when you wrote this?

Young people love vinyl and CD, even cassettes it seems. I'm forever banging into youngsters buying vinyl in HMV. I've spoken to them, they said they love the feel of the records and playing them when they get home, kind of like we did when we was younger.

Don't report your opinion as fact, as it is not.

2 hours ago, JustinTimes said:

Young people love vinyl and CD, even cassettes it seems. I'm forever banging into youngsters buying vinyl in HMV. I've spoken to them, they said they love the feel of the records and playing them when they get home, kind of like we did when we was younger.

Banging youngsters that are buying vinyl inside an HMV sounds like something in the SEX book. 

15 hours ago, McDonna said:

My bet (which is seeming to come more and more true) is that artists are going to add more exclusive content on the physical items, and then as you said, provide edited versions of albums and songs on streaming platforms.  It makes sense because they could make more money from the physical formats. 

I've never cared that artists provide their complete catalog on Streaming platforms.  It seems like a very daunting task, especially expecting every little edit and remix to be available.  Madonna is one of the few artists that is growing closer and closer in including her complete catalog and most originally released commercial releases on streaming platforms.  It's definitely a nice thing for a hardcore fan to have everything stream-able, but there will always be songs and remixes that won't be available or less promoted to streaming platforms because they know it only appeals to the fans and not the general public. I'm doubting the Power of Goodbye remixes on streaming platforms would appeal to anyone but hardcore fans or those who are actual fans of those remixes. Even I, a hardcore fan, really have no interest in listening to them again.  If I do, I'll just pull out the physical copies I have. And it's not like you can't find any of those mixes on Youtube or other platforms either, if I'm that desperate in listening to them.

Totally this.  Olivia Rodrigo's GUTS has four different coloured vinyl each with a different bonus track exclusive to that version.  None are on streaming.  I have a feeling this will be the norm as it generates much more revenue for the artist and record company and incentivizes (extorts) fans into buying multiple copies of the same album.  Ugh.

Imagine if M did that with the re-releases and put one unreleased demo on each.  People here would riot.

Edited by luckypierre78 (see edit history)

4 hours ago, cosmic_system said:

This is actually wrong, lots of young people are buying vinyl. Just open  TikTok and you’ll see. Why do you think Taylor Swift and others “young” singers are making 50 colored variants of each album? 

Young people might have less disposable income to buy vinyl (which is also more expensive than buying a CD), but yeah they're absolutely purchasing it.

19 hours ago, steady75 said:

I just don't know if Warner think all of those pre 2010 long remixes are worth having on her platforms. Why would they want you to stream a 14 minute version of Nothing Really Matters when they can have you stream Frozen (sickic) seven times times in the same duration and make seven times the money. The 30 second play revenue point from streaming platforms has changed music forever. Record companies want you to skip as soon as they've got the money.

Most fans have limited interest in the new remixes and will listen to those old remixes either way so they may as well make money from it.

5 hours ago, JustinTimes said:

Wow just wow

lol

14 hours ago, Diieeego said:

I agree w/this. The thing is even though vinyl sales are up, a surprising percentage of people buying them don’t even play them. Over half.

This includes young people and stans of people like Taylor or Billie or Olivia who buy multiple copies of an album as something to collect but still use streaming as their primary consumption.

Or even if they do play them they’re still streaming as well. There’s no way the floodgates will close on that.

I’m just interested to see how streaming will change over the next several years, whether it be to focus tiktok, to adjust the business model like steady was saying, etc. I think the spotify/apple model we currently see is precarious to some extent.

1 hour ago, MikeyK said:

I agree w/this. The thing is even though vinyl sales are up, a surprising percentage of people buying them don’t even play them. Over half.

This includes young people and stans of people like Taylor or Billie or Olivia who buy multiple copies of an album as something to collect but still use streaming as their primary consumption.

Or even if they do play them they’re still streaming as well. There’s no way the floodgates will close on that.

I’m just interested to see how streaming will change over the next several years, whether it be to focus tiktok, to adjust the business model like steady was saying, etc. I think the spotify/apple model we currently see is precarious to some extent.

It will definitely be interesting to see. I guess no one could anticipate what would happen with music in the 00s in 1998, let's say (except for Bowie and Prince! There are interviews of them talking about how the Internet would change everything in mid-late 90s).

The streaming model is very convenient for the users but the numbers don't add up. Apple can afford losing tons of money on Apple Music cause it's all about having you in the whole Apple ecosystem after all. But Spotify has never been profitable yet and it's been 15 years already. Plus artists, songwriters and producers are getting pennies for their work. The whole streaming bubble will burst at some point and changes need to be made. Plus IA, etc. See the US writers and actors strike this year. At some point the music people will say "enough". Up until the pandemic the live shows were saving the day and they all saw streaming as exposure but now that era is over as well except for the big names.

I don't think songs are getting shorter, I mean, there's not really much further you can go now. Most of them are already 2 minutes and something. 2:30 is the standard now. You will always need some minimum to catch the listener's attention and tell some kind of story.

And I don't think streaming is going away and we'll be back to physicals and paid downloads mainly. But changes need to be made. The model is not working for anyone except for the users.

18 minutes ago, DickTracy said:

Bowie & Prince were on to something, its funny I'm watching the show 30 Rock and there are jokes scattered throughout about how AI will take over for writers and a whole bit about AI Seinfeld.

No goodies this Friday?

Maybe causing a commotion finally but I think that anniversary passed - does she hate that song ?