Single Reissues Campaign - Causing a Commotion - OUT NOW

New_Boy

8 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Really?? Wow that would be hardcore.

I remember actually the "LAP" 12'' Extended Remix was in "The Immaculate Collection" for years too instead of the proper Q-Sound particular mix done for that compilation originally. It was later fixed and correct now.

Even with today's little things here and there... we've come a long way with her digital catalogue.

Yep. And apparently EY was a remix as well.

IMG_2384.thumb.jpeg.263fb34f5bb6e6eb1dfa419fbdee6e4d.jpeg

It’s interesting, with some of the mistakes, like using a 12” mix of a song on an album- Dress, Papa, Express, you can almost wonder if they did it on purpose as a sort of bonus for fans (even though they very easily could have added them as extra bonus tracks), but then you look at the bigger picture and all the other mistakes and it’s clear that wasn’t the case.

7 minutes ago, Would You Like To Try said:

Mhmm weird. I just checked when I bought that album on iTunes and it was in 2015 but that never happened with "Express Yourself" to me, I'm 100% sure. Maybe it was only in some territories or that user had an old version downloaded from years earlier? (Just checked that image and it says bought in 2010 for that user).

Messy, anyway. Gosh.

50 minutes ago, Prayer said:

The fact that "Lucky Star" and "Borderline" original Q-Sound masters are not used on "The Immaculate Collection" digital BUT also they were not used on "Celebration" (being the only two Q-Sound mixes different to the rest of original Q-Sound mixes used on that compilation) can not be just a coincidence.

Sorry, but how are they different from the others? Never heard of that, were they mixed differently?

Just now, missberic said:

Sorry, but how are they different from the others? Never heard of that, were they mixed differently?

Both "Lucky Star" and "Borderline" on "Celebration" are alternate Q-Sound mixes. "Borderline" is very, very similar to the original "Immaculate" Q-Sound mix but "Lucky Star" structure is more different and closer to the original single edit.

Of course nothing extraordinary between them, but different.

Comparisons:

LUCKY STAR:

Original "The Immaculate Collection" Q-Sound mix:

Alternate Q-Sound mix on "Celebration":

BORDERLINE:

50 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Both "Lucky Star" and "Borderline" on "Celebration" are alternate Q-Sound mixes. "Borderline" is very, very similar to the original "Immaculate" Q-Sound mix but "Lucky Star" structure is more different and closer to the original single edit.

Of course nothing extraordinary between them, but different.

Comparisons:

LUCKY STAR:

BORDERLINE:

Just played these tracks at the exact same time, and other than IC's Lucky Star fades earlier, the structure is exactly the same. Of course, the version on Celebration sounds better as it seems to be punched up in volume and bass some. 

Both Borderlines sound exactly the same except for Celebration is punched up a bit.  Also, I think one of them plays slightly faster as I noticed it kept getting slightly out of sync as the song progressed. :)

18 minutes ago, Adonna said:

Just played these tracks at the exact same time, and other than IC's Lucky Star fades earlier, the structure is exactly the same. Of course, the version on Celebration sounds better as it seems to be punched up in volume and bass some. 

Both Borderlines sound exactly the same except for Celebration is punched up a bit.  Also, I think one of them plays slightly faster as I noticed it kept getting slightly out of sync as the song progressed. :)

They're alternate Q-Sound versions, so they're indeed very similar the ones on "The Immaculate Collection" original CD, vinyl and cassette - but they're not the same.

"Borderline" has the "mind, mind, mind" echoes in the chorus more noticeable and that's a mixing decision, that doesn't come from the remastering.

Mixing on "Lucky Star" sounds different, too.

8 minutes ago, Prayer said:

They're alternate Q-Sound versions, so they're indeed very similar the ones on "The Immaculate Collection" original CD, vinyl and cassette - but they're not the same.

"Borderline" has the "mind, mind, mind" echoes in the chorus more noticeable and that's a mixing decision, that doesn't come from the remastering.

Mixing on "Lucky Star" sounds different, too.

Other than Celebration's version sounds louder and more bassy, Lucky Star sounds exactly the same to me, other than one fades out sooner.

You're right about the echoes in the chorus.  I remember when playing them simultaneously that I needed to go back to hear those parts in each and yes, one has more noticeable echoes. :)

3 hours ago, Prayer said:

Actually I remember reports from MadonnaTribe in 2009 talking about three updated remixes from then current producers/DJs for three classic songs, including "Holiday" and "Into The Groove". But they were not used/released in the end.

I don't think a whole remixes compilation was on the cards but at least as promo support remixes probably.

I tried to find that piece of info now but can't find it anymore.

I TOTALLY FORGOT! YES! also there was also a coffee table book in the works as well! there was also a photoshoot possibly coming but obviously it didnt happen. I know at the time some speculated that the interview shoot was meant for celebration but that was shot way later right?

4 hours ago, Would You Like To Try said:

@Aiwa08Do you know the specific DB's and eq characteristics they used for Celebration specifically? It's not like I loved it but just for curiosity and for adding the eq and stuff to my playlists maybe! Thanks anyway even if you don't answer

Bass and volume booster and you're set.

6 hours ago, Would You Like To Try said:

@Aiwa08Do you know the specific DB's and eq characteristics they used for Celebration specifically? It's not like I loved it but just for curiosity and for adding the eq and stuff to my playlists maybe! Thanks anyway even if you don't answer

Using "Youlean Loudness Meter" software:

"Vogue (from Celebration)": 

• Momentary Max = -4.62 LUFS
  • Short Term Max = -5.80 LUFS
  • Integrated = -8.81 LUFS

"Hung Up (from Celebration)":

•  Momentary Max = -4.29 LUFS
  • Short Term Max = -6.35 LUFS
  • Integrated = -8.52 LUFS

In DB: 

formula: dB = LUFS + 23

Vogue:

• Momentary Max (-4.62 LUFS): -4.62 + 23 = 18.38 dB
  • Short Term Max (-5.80 LUFS): -5.80 + 23 = 17.20 dB
  • Integrated (-8.81 LUFS): -8.81 + 23 = 14.19 dB

Hung Up:

• Momentary Max (-4.29 LUFS): -4.29 + 23 = 18.71 dB
  • Short Term Max (-6.35 LUFS): -6.35 + 23 = 16.65 dB
  • Integrated (-8.52 LUFS): -8.52 + 23 = 14.48 dB

These values represent the sound levels in decibels relative to the maximum digital level (Full Scale).

-------------------------------------------

On TIDAL, there's always an option to "normalize" songs to ensure they play at the same level. For my compilations stored on a hard drive, I use wavegain to adjust all the tracks to the same volume as the "Like a Prayer" album (for example, "Vulgar" sounds as loud as "Express Yourself").

You might wonder why I use the same volume level as the "Like a Prayer" album to 'normalize' my compilations. It's because it's the last Madonna album that features the highest possible volume with no dynamic range compression.

52 minutes ago, Erotico said:

Does anybody know when was Dress you Up released in the Uk? Nov/Dec 1985?

Well, it appeared as a new entry on the chart dated Sunday 1st December at #14, so would have been released a week earlier... Gambler fell down to #50 the same week...

https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart/19851201/7501/

3 hours ago, Bjonkers said:

Well, it appeared as a new entry on the chart dated Sunday 1st December at #14, so would have been released a week earlier... Gambler fell down to #50 the same week...

https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart/19851201/7501/

Thanks! Ok so must have been released on Dec 1st or 4th! The Smash Hits magazine ad is from the 4TH!

http://onthecoverofamagazine.blogspot.com/2010/12/smash-hits-uk-december-4-1985-dress-you.html

Who knows if they might consider this December as a release date for the digital single,...

3 hours ago, Erotico said:

Thanks! Ok so must have been released on Dec 1st or 4th! The Smash Hits magazine ad is from the 4TH!

http://onthecoverofamagazine.blogspot.com/2010/12/smash-hits-uk-december-4-1985-dress-you.html

Who knows if they might consider this December as a release date for the digital single,...

It was released Monday 25th November and charted on Sunday 1st December.