Rupert Everett says flop movie with Madonna put 'strain' on their friendship, 'finished' him in Hollywood

adled

3 minutes ago, MPowered said:

What makes me hate it even more is the fact that this flop movie is what made her cancel the Ray Of Light Tour!

I don't know about that, she didn't seem in the mood to tour for some reason. Every time she was asked about that in 1998 it was all vague answers. She looked more exciting for all the movie projects she had in mind (she talked about the violin teacher movie a lot and that didn't happen). I know the tour was planned and in the pipeline but for some reason it wasn't meant to be anyway. Warner wanted to release a 1999 greatest hits compilation but she quickly convinced them to do a new album instead. She was ready to move on from "Ray Of Light" anyway, "The Next Best Thing" or not.

2 hours ago, DoneGone said:

I don't know about that, she didn't seem in the mood to tour for some reason. Every time she was asked about that in 1998 it was all vague answers. She looked more exciting for all the movie projects she had in mind (she talked about the violin teacher movie a lot and that didn't happen). I know the tour was planned and in the pipeline but for some reason it wasn't meant to be anyway. Warner wanted to release a 1999 greatest hits compilation but she quickly convinced them to do a new album instead. She was ready to move on from "Ray Of Light" anyway, "The Next Best Thing" or not.

Yes Fiddlesticks was the original title directed by Wes Craven. I thought it was a horror film when it was first announced but it was about Roberta Tavares and her teaching violin to inner city school kids. Madonna dropped out 2 seconds before filming over creative differences and Meryl Streep stepped in and the title changed to Music of the Heart. This was around the time she went brunette and did the Power of Goodbye video, that was the look she would have had in the film or similar.

I have to say Rupert is basically saying the same as Griffin Dunne who said Who's that Girl? ruined his career. He was on an upward trajectory until that point. Griffin surprisingly has more anger over it than Rupert.

4 hours ago, Boombox90 said:

What an awful choice of films to do after her success in Evita.

She should’ve just stuck to musicals and waited for Chicago to go ahead.

According to Goldie Hawn, she and Madonna were dumped from the project. So she would have been waiting an eternity for that one to go ahead.

I do think she should have learned her lesson and worked with an actors director. She always did better with directors who could guide her and help her shape her performance. When she was left to her own devices, it never turned out well.

I don't know why but I feel Jodie Foster could have gotten a great performance out of her, if she had had a project for her to do. 

In terms of Dangerous Game, that was a fluke as director Abel Ferrera used a lot of real footage from rehearsals when Madonna was literally being Madonna. 

24 minutes ago, me1981 said:

Yes Fiddlesticks was the original title directed by Wes Craven. I thought it was a horror film when it was first announced but it was about Roberta Tavares and her teaching violin to inner city school kids. Madonna dropped out 2 seconds before filming over creative differences and Meryl Streep stepped in and the title changed to Music of the Heart. This was around the time she went brunette and did the Power of Goodbye video, that was the look she would have had in the film or similar.

I have to say Rupert is basically saying the same as Griffin Dunne who said Who's that Girl? ruined his career. He was on an upward trajectory until that point. Griffin surprisingly has more anger over it than Rupert.

omg Who's that girl - I've seen clips, and for me, I didn't enjoy what I saw lol. 

32 minutes ago, me1981 said:

According to Goldie Hawn, she and Madonna were dumped from the project. So she would have been waiting an eternity for that one to go ahead.

I do think she should have learned her lesson and worked with an actors director. She always did better with directors who could guide her and help her shape her performance. When she was left to her own devices, it never turned out well.

I don't know why but I feel Jodie Foster could have gotten a great performance out of her, if she had had a project for her to do. 

In terms of Dangerous Game, that was a fluke as director Abel Ferrera used a lot of real footage from rehearsals when Madonna was literally being Madonna. 

Yeah Madonna has moved on to other project by that point.  Chicago was no longer on the table.

Interesting idea of Jodie Foster directing her.  I would actually love to see that happen.  But could you imagine the tension on set especially if Madonna would want to make changes?

I agree about the Dangerous Game film. While it was an awful film, he managed to get something good out of her.  And apparently she hated the cut he made, so who knows if it was up to her, if we'd seen her potential. 

There is a part of me that feels there is one great performance in Madonna.  I'm doubting it more and more, but I'd think if she took on something so unlike her and was really willing to let someone help her stretch and nail the role, she could be part of another great film.  Again, doubt that will ever happen.

50 minutes ago, me1981 said:

"Creative Differences" means probably madonna wanted to direct it herself lol

3 hours ago, DoneGone said:

Lola was an infant when ray of light came out and my guess is she was kind of weary about touring with that baby adding to the equation. She appreciated the success of the album but naturally she didn’t realize how big of a deal it would be if she’d toured it in the 90s looking back at the bigger picture. I’m sure she was paid a lot less for that film than she could’ve made on tour but being on set, not having to travel that much for that movie was just a lot better in her head as a new Mom. Plus, her having a career as an actress was still on the table at the time so it was worth the try.

2 hours ago, Adonna said:

Was that the original working title because before Madonna dropped out it was called "50 Violins"?

Yes it was the earliest title of the film, then 50 violins came next. Possibly like me, many thought Fiddlesticks was a horror film when paired with Wes Craven's name. 

2 hours ago, littlestartman said:

"Creative Differences" means probably madonna wanted to direct it herself lol

Haha, I don't doubt that

1 minute ago, me1981 said:

Yes it was the earliest title of the film, then 50 violins came next. Possibly like me, many thought Fiddlesticks was a horror film when paired with Wes Craven's name. 

Haha, I don't doubt that

Yeah its crazy how she fumbled the bag when it comes to films. I would think Wes Craven would have wanted her to look older or less polished, gain some weight even... But Madonna probably had rules on how to shoot her and when she could do the movie. The Next Best Thing is very clear she was in control of the camera angles and lights and her looks because  it was an extension of the ROL era

1 minute ago, littlestartman said:

Yeah its crazy how she fumbled the bag when it comes to films. I would think Wes Craven would have wanted her to look older or less polished, gain some weight even... But Madonna probably had rules on how to shoot her and when she could do the movie. The Next Best Thing is very clear she was in control of the camera angles and lights and her looks because  it was an extension of the ROL era

According to Variety the creative differences were indeed about how the character should be portrayed so you may be right.

Also correction the woman's name in the film was Roberta Guaspari not Tavares, I have no idea where I got that name from, unless there was a name change, but likely I got it confused. 

1 hour ago, me1981 said:

According to Variety the creative differences were indeed about how the character should be portrayed so you may be right.

Also correction the woman's name in the film was Roberta Guaspari not Tavares, I have no idea where I got that name from, unless there was a name change, but likely I got it confused. 

original-film-title-music-of-the-heart-e

2048x2730-b96c0b03-29f9-11e6-8f6b-2dddc0

Im sure madonna tries to make her hot/sexy for her own merit lol

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCRh-eQ2hmG-JlyTjEiNe

For Next best thing she has this weird silent film old hollwood light on her face all the time to soften her skin

the-next-best-thing-year-2000-director-j

The actual podcast interview in which he was asked about Madonna and the film is highly entertaining, and he is extraordinarily self-aware, self-effacing and full of insight. It specifically focuses on failures. Rupert is a very intelligent, wildly experienced man who has lived a fascinating life. He even expressed at the end of the part focused on friendships (he was very close to Isabella Blow and had a close friendship and romantic involvement with Paula Yates) that he hopes to one day reconcile with Madonna. He spoke with a good deal of humility, and I respect his ability to share a unique perspective on aging as a gay man. He is a very good writer too! 

I don’t think The Next Best Thing should be entirely dismissed. It was a culturally brave film that suffered mostly from poor editing choices and a very uneven script. Yes, the performances were also uneven. Madonna’s accent alone changes schizophrenically, but it did in Dick Tracy too. Rupert’s assessment that Madonna’s enormous fame made it impossible for her to be seen as an actress is absolutely correct, and I think she herself came to that understanding just a few years later. I don’t think Madonna was very lucky with film. Her worst movies are not purely her responsibility. There was a lot that went wrong that was totally out of her control from radical script rewrites to ailing directors, but I do miss the days when Madonna was a movie star. 

53 minutes ago, Alibaba said:

I don’t think The Next Best Thing should be entirely dismissed. It was a culturally brave film that suffered mostly from poor editing choices and a very uneven script. Yes, the performances were also uneven. Madonna’s accent alone changes schizophrenically, but it did in Dick Tracy too. Rupert’s assessment that Madonna’s enormous fame made it impossible for her to be seen as an actress is absolutely correct, and I think she herself came to that understanding just a few years later. I don’t think Madonna was very lucky with film. Her worst movies are not purely her responsibility. There was a lot that went wrong that was totally out of her control from radical script rewrites to ailing directors, but I do miss the days when Madonna was a movie star. 

It was extremely brave for its time. It was still 2000. It didn't have a chance really. The fact that the end product wasn't that good killed it completely, it needed to be superb to be accepted with that plot.

I also miss Madonna in movies. You could see the nerd in her more than in music: her choices were all over the place, hence the results. But she was never boring.