Rupert Everett says flop movie with Madonna put 'strain' on their friendship, 'finished' him in Hollywood

adled

19 hours ago, DoneGone said:

I don't know about that, she didn't seem in the mood to tour for some reason. Every time she was asked about that in 1998 it was all vague answers. She looked more exciting for all the movie projects she had in mind (she talked about the violin teacher movie a lot and that didn't happen). I know the tour was planned and in the pipeline but for some reason it wasn't meant to be anyway. Warner wanted to release a 1999 greatest hits compilation but she quickly convinced them to do a new album instead. She was ready to move on from "Ray Of Light" anyway, "The Next Best Thing" or not.

It was announced in 1999 though, so it was definitely planned. Christopher also submitted a concept to her that was later repurposed for the DWT.

What pains me the most is, that it was the last chance a lot of those great non-singles from 1994-1999 had to be performed. Because she was more passionate about flop movies, it didn’t happen.

The concept Christopher submitted was gonna have the concert split into 4 acts with each of them representing on of the 4 seasons. In the middle of the stage there was gonna be a tree (the tree of life probably) that would change the color of its leaves. Very very cool idea and it totally works with the songs from BS, STR, Evita and ROL.

5 minutes ago, MPowered said:

It was announced in 1999 though, so it was definitely planned. Christopher also submitted a concept to her that was later repurposed for the DWT.

What pains me the most is, that it was the last chance a lot of those great non-singles from 1994-1999 had to be performed. Because she was more passionate about flop movies, it didn’t happen.

The concept Christopher submitted was gonna have the concept split into 4 acts with each of them representing on of the 4 seasons. In the middle of the stage there was gonna be a tree (the tree of life probably) that would change the color of its leaves. Very very cool idea and it totally works with the songs from BS, STR, Evita and ROL.

That sounds good and a natural evolution from "BAT" and "The Girlie Show". "DWT" ended up being quite a drastic departure from her previous tours. It lacked some of that "warmth" or something, but she was also more interested in darkness and violence anyway, probably because of the Ritchie influence.

In the end, she's the mastermind, whatever the influences around her.

When she did DWT she had not toured in 8 years so she had a lot to unleash and dare i say, too much to unleash, it was too intense and heavy for a pop concert and felt more like a musical and it's her only tour where she was too distant from her audience maybe because there was too much theatrics to concentrate on so maybe a tour prior to it would have lifted the mood a bit.

4 hours ago, androiduser said:

If we got the ROL tour instead of the movie, we wouldn't get DWT, things turned out just fine, DWT is amazing.

At least not in the exact same way but we likely would have gotten a variation of it but with more hits. I think the oldies work much better with the songs from Music than they would have worked with the songs from ROL and BS. A ROL Tour definitely would have benefited the two following tours.